Joe Riley

Brightonian

Decent debut, although not as instantly-fits-right-in as CBJ and Varela when they first came into the side. Which isn't a criticism, because CBJ's form in particular has been freakish for such an inexperienced player.

Hey, I guess that massive, insurmountable, don't-bother-just-buy-Griezmann step up to senior level isn't quite what it's cracked up to be.

Devil may care

Decent debut, although not as instantly-fits-right-in as CBJ and Varela when they first came into the side. Which isn't a criticism, because CBJ's form in particular has been freakish for such an inexperienced player.

Hey, I guess that massive, insurmountable, don't-bother-just-buy-Griezmann step up to senior level isn't quite what it's cracked up to be.
Aren't shrewsbury in League 1? I think CBJ has been freakishly good as you put it, but the rest have a lot to prove yet.

Brightonian

Aren't shrewsbury in League 1? I think CBJ has been freakishly good as you put it, but the rest have a lot to prove yet.
And Varela (who actually had his worst game so far today, although I reckon he was basically wearing the wrong studs, kept falling over) and Lingard. Obviously basing this on our recent PL games more than this glorified exercise in attack vs defence.

(Granted Lingard's good moments and performances have been balanced out by some costly misses, but the fact that he's clearly brought something to an attacking unit including undeniably quality players like Mata, Rooney and Martial says plenty, especially given that he wasn't by any means the star of his academy generation.)

Devil may care

And Varela (who actually had his worst game so far today, although I reckon he was basically wearing the wrong studs, kept falling over) and Lingard. Obviously basing this on our recent PL games more than this glorified exercise in attack vs defence.

(Granted Lingard's good moments and performances have been balanced out by some costly misses, but the fact that he's clearly brought something to an attacking unit including undeniably quality players like Mata, Rooney and Martial says plenty, especially given that he wasn't by any means the star of his academy generation.)
So far I think Varela has looked spotty, not bad but I'd be surprised if he was here long term. I've defended Lingard a lot in his thread but I think him starting regularly for us says more about or lack of quality options on the right of the attack, although I do think he could have a future as a squad player here.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Weren't some on here criticising CBJ after his first game?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
liked that debut a lot, CBJ's main threat has been his crossing, I believe, this guy could be his pace. Looks super quick. May be worth throwing him against midgetland; as I reckon CBJ will start against the Arse.

Thisistheone

Really like the look of him. Seems to have intelligence to go with his physical attributes. Made some promising runs but Memphis etc didn't spot him.

Want to see him again Thursday (BoJack is injured right?)

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

Varela was absolutely terrible against Wolfsborg and Bournemouth. What are you talking about?

This guy looks good. Shame we keep producing LB's though. Could do with a RB or CB.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Varela was absolutely terrible against Wolfsborg and Bournemouth. What are you talking about?

This guy looks good. Shame we keep producing LB's though. Could do with a RB or CB.
Bournemouth i'll give you, Josh King had him, but he made more tackles and interceptions than anyone in the game against Wolfsburg. We were let down by not having a midfield against them. Nothing meaningful came down our right IIRC.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"

He is more of a RB/RM than a LB really.

Sid234

I don't think he's going to make it as an attacking LB, might have a better chance as an RB. His preference for his right means he'd be ineffective overlapping a winger.

Irrational.

It's so refreshing seeing someone so excited and enthusiastic at the thought of playing for us - you can tell his debut was genuinely one of the best days of his career so far.

Hope he makes it.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman

It's so refreshing seeing someone so excited and enthusiastic at the thought of playing for us - you can tell his debut was genuinely one of the best days of his career so far.

Hope he makes it.
:D Nice one. Kind of looks like the love child of Rooney and Shaw.

RedTiger

Half mast

Hope he makes it.
Man, that made me feel all fuzzy inside:) You're right, he just wants to burst with pride and that can only bode well for him. I honestly hope he becomes a mainstay for us on the right side.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
So far I think Varela has looked spotty, not bad but I'd be surprised if he was here long term. I've defended Lingard a lot in his thread but I think him starting regularly for us says more about or lack of quality options on the right of the attack, although I do think he could have a future as a squad player here.
Lingard in the future reminds me of fulfilling the role park ji sung played for us in the big games maybe AM?

Devil may care

Gosh do all of you crave Mourinho all that much?
I don't get what Mourinho has to do with any of the posts above.

Lingard in the future reminds me of fulfilling the role park ji sung played for us in the big games maybe AM?
Park is who I think he can emulate and he has the versatility across the 3 roles behind the striker, just needs to grow that second lung.

tarjei2k

Park is who I think he can emulate and he has the versatility across the 3 roles behind the striker, just needs to grow that second lung.
Quite a handicap to have gone lugging around, what with being a first-teamer at Man Utd at 23 and all.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Looks a bit limited going forward but he's apparently a RB so can't blame him.

NK86

On the contrary I think he has looked decent for a youngster thrown in at the deep end.

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
I think he's been limited going forwards mainly because Memphis is cutting inside very early, so there's no opportunity for a wide overlap - so he's not even trying that. That's probably his tactical instruction, bearing in mind their right back is a defensive weak-link who's got no-where near Memphis all game; let Memphis take the RB out of the game by cutting inside early, and then play it safe trying to ensure that Riley doesn't get caught out of position too far up the pitch.

Bwuk

I think he looks a very good footballer, unsure if he's a left back but he's very neat and tidy.

Robbie Boy

Was under absolutely no pressure for most of the night but a good calm, assured performance.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
The lad was a beast. Superb performance.

Sid234

Riley being right footed meant he wasn't really going to whipping in crosses overlapping Depay but luckily Depay was in phenomenal form today.. Riley runs created enough for Depay to exploit i think.

I think we'll see him do better on the right..