Joe Riley

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Really impressed with his technique and confidence. His adeptness at supporting the attack was reminiscent of the Evra days. I wish him well in his learning process and hope to see him succeed at United

khoazany

G'wan Joe

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...united-youth-feature-interview-joe-riley.aspx

Riley's career still on the rise
The second in a five-part series of exclusive interviews with some of Manchester United's young stars hoping for a big 2016/17 season features Joe Riley...

When United faced Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup in February, it was a special moment for Joe Riley. A youngster who has been connected with the Reds since the age of six made his debut and followed it up with a start against Midtjylland three days later.

The nerves, which must have threatened to be all-consuming, failed to get the better of the 19-year-old. "The first game was obviously a dream come true," he said. "I had a dry mouth going onto the pitch but I think I did quite well. It was good to be able to start in the next game against Midtjylland at Old Trafford as well. It was unbelievable."

Riley sensed there could be an opening on the trip to Denmark for the first leg of the Europa League tie as a number of full-backs were unavailable. "I’d never have thought about that happening this season," he conceded. "But I saw all the injuries we had and remember saying to everyone: ‘This is the best chance for me, I’m never going to get another chance like this again! I need to get there!’

"Louis van Gaal called me in and said I’d got that call and I was going to be travelling with them. He spoke to us youngsters and said: ‘Congratulations, you’ve made the squad.’ To hear that from the manager was unbelievable. My first trip flying away in Europe with the first team and it was just crazy with all the press and everything that goes with it."

After making the flight to Scandinavia but failing to get off the bench, it was even sweeter when he started in the second leg.

"I wanted to try to go out and play my own game, as though it were an Under-21 match, and did not want to put too much pressure on myself," he said. "I wanted to just go out and enjoy the experience and play like I can. It's definitely more nerve-wracking. I tried not to take the fans in. When you’re actually playing and you’re concentrating on the game, you kind of zone out from the fans. It’s only when you have a throw-in or there’s a stoppage in play that you realise and think ‘wow’. When you’re playing, it’s okay."

One positive foray forward led to a good chance for Morgan Schneiderlin as the rookie did himself justice in front of the home supporters. "I remember putting in a cross onto Morgan’s head and he hit a post," Riley recalls. "To hear the fans go ‘Oooh’, it was unbelievable to know it’s all come from you as well."

Riley's rise was even more remarkable considering he was only converted full time into a left-back by Under-21 coach Warren Joyce after moving up last year. In his younger days, he was much more of a winger and things did not necessarily all go his own way in the Under-18s in his time as a second-year scholar.

By being moulded into a defender, he forced his way into Joyce's plans at the higher age level and ended up making 19 appearances in the championship-winning team. The unforgettable glimpse of first-team action aside, such an achievement cannot be underestimated as it is traditionally difficult for youngsters adapting to their first season as professionals by moving up from boys' football. It is a physical challenge and hard work is a necessity, something which the Lytham-raised prospect wisely embraced.

"It’s the same when you step up to the Under-18s," he said. "At any age, it’s hard to get into the team. To get into the Under-21s, playing at left-back too, which is not really my position, and be appearing regularly – if you'd said it to me at the start of the season, I’d have been delighted with that.

"Warren gets us all fit. I’m definitely a lot fitter and stronger this season. I’ve just been working a lot on my left side and left foot really. At the start of the season, Guillermo Varela was with the Under-21s and Cameron [Borthwick-Jackson] but then eventually he went up so there was a little spot for a left-back. I grasped that with both hands to get time in the team and play there. A few players have gone up to the first team so I’ve played pretty much all of the games this season."

As with a number of players, the question about his long-term position is a pertinent one. He switched to the right-hand side of defence towards the very end of the campaign and that clearly is an option next term. "Eventually, I might move to right-back next season," he said. "I’ve no idea obviously, but, if I keep playing and performing well, I’ll play wherever, to be honest.

"My preference is I’m a right-back definitely. People probably don’t take into consideration that I’m not on my strongest side. I like to cross the ball and to do it on my left side is a lot harder. So preferably I’m a right-sided player who likes to cross the ball but, wherever I’m playing, if it keeps me in the team, I’ll happily always stay at left-back!

"I’ve always preferred full-back, to be honest, because I like to drive out with the ball," he stated. "I like having all the space to move into and run the pitch if I can. But I’ve always been an attacking player. I’ve done a lot of work on my defensive attributes. To be fair, it wasn’t something I had to do a lot last year [at Under-18 level] but, as a full-back, I’m definitely more attacking. Being truthful, I think you need that now in the modern game."

Riley looks very much a 21st-century full-back in the Luke Shaw mould, capable of launching attacks with lung-bursting raids down the flank and linking with his colleagues. Capable of operating in a more advanced role due to his education as a winger, the teenager still has plenty to learn about the game but his stamina is already a valuable asset.

"If you look at someone like Luke, he bombs forward all the time and is obviously a great left-back," Riley continued. "It’s good watching him get forward but also defending as well. I’d like to take that into my game. I've not really played as a wing-back before but I definitely think that role could be calling my name, to be honest."

The youth system at Old Trafford is continuing to work well and the Under-21 title triumph is further evidence of the fact that young players are on track for success. There is pride in witnessing teenagers adapting to life in the first team and a genuine sense this lifts every player representing the club at a lower age group. "I don’t think anyone has let the side down," commented Riley. "Everyone has done well, whether they’ve come in from the Under-21s or even the Under-18s such as Marcus [Rashford] and Timmy [Fosu-Mensah] – everyone has done well."

In terms of the future, the full-back continues to have ambitions that are far less outlandish than they would have sounded at the start of the 2015/16 campaign. Boosted by his first-team involvement, and exploits with Joyce's Under-21s, he has every reason to aim high when he returns for pre-season training. Travelling on tour is certainly a long-held goal, an experience that would surely eclipse that of flying to Denmark with the first team on European duty.

"I’m hoping for that involvement at some point," he admitted. "I think it’s everyone’s dream to go on a pre-season tour and we saw Gossy [Sean Goss] do it last year. We’ll see how it all goes and, if I get picked to go on tour, it will be an absolute quality experience to go to China."

Riley knows how hard he will have to work to ensure this objective is fulfilled but last term's progress proved his endeavour and application are ensuring he is heading in the right direction.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Great news. Hope he impresses.

Devil may care

Was our best player in the cup game the other night, I really like what I've seen of him, fast and aggressive.

lysglimt

Scout
I like his energy - but yet to see him really tested defensively so will await my judgment for that

spenzo

When I hear things like this it makes me happy because we know how good Joe is so I kind of assume that Jose would've liked what he saw today. Think we'll see him and Axel in the league cup this season if he doesn't go out on loan, maybe europa depending on how Jose approaches it.

khoazany

I hope Jose like him.We have some average options at full back and there's no reason why Riley can't eventually become a better option.

m1y2

So is he the back up's back up now ie. third in a row after Rojo/Darmian? What is the position of CBJ in the squad then? I am a bit surprised as I thought Joe'd be too soft for Jose so it is nice news, will be interesting to see how he progresses and how he can adapt more to the defensive side of a fullback role..Offensiely he's great dribbler, pacy, engine and versatile but can he defend?

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Joe Riley believes the training camp in Austria will ensure Manchester United's Under-23s are a tight unit in the coming season and feels it is ideal preparation for any first-team tours they might go on in the future.

The defender, whose loan spell at Sheffield United in 2016/17 was cut short due to a shoulder injury, has put in extra time during the summer break to ensure he is fighting fit for the big kick-off.

Always a bubbly personality, the 20-year-old is one of the senior figures on the trip to Obertraun and has showed his character within the group.

"I came in a bit over the summer so I was ready for pre-season," he told ManUtd.com. "I'm feeling good. The shoulder is fine now, just in my head I'm a bit wary of it, but yeah it's fine. I'm still continuing to do my shoulder exercises but my legs are ready.

"I can't wait to get going, to be honest. Obviously, last season didn't go to plan but it happens and now I'm buzzing to be getting back. I think if you come back for pre-season a little bit late, it can be a struggle to get back on it but, considering I'd already come in by myself, I am feeling good to be in the mix.

"It's a big squad [in Austria] and a good trip with a lot of banter and it's good to get away. It's great experience for some of the younger lads as it's similar to what they do with the first team. So you're ready if you get a chance to go away on a senior trip as you have already done something similar."

Riley joked about being a senior figure in the Under-23 ranks but appreciates he has a responsibility to help the new batch of Under-18s moving up a level to adapt to their new surroundings.

"One of the main focuses is bonding as all the young ones are coming up to the squad," he added. "Yeah, I'm so old now [laughs]. Obviously, I know all the lads anyway and they can look towards me and some of the older ones, like Matty Willock, for ideas or if they're not sure of things, we can help them.

"They're all good lads to be fair. It was a big step up for me at the time as I wasn't too involved with the Reserves but a lot of these lads were involved last season with the Under-23s as we didn't have many players. So they all know the ropes and it's really good to have them in the dressing room.

"There are five, six or seven more in the dressing room and the main focus is everyone bonding. The training pitch is all about playing together but the dressing room is when you have your own time and get to know each other on a more personal level."

Riley is planning on making a real impression in 2017/18 and is keen to show the sort of form that took him all the way to a first-team debut in the FA Cup in January 2016.

"I don't want to think too far ahead," he explained. "My main focus is to get back fit and flying up and down the wing. Left or right, either side is fine by me. The main thing is to give some competition to the full-backs in the first team."

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Would be perfect in a 3-5-2 on either flank. Wouldn't disgrace himself in a flat 4 either. Really hope he seizes what little opportunity comes his way this season like Mitchell, Tuanzebe, McTominay et al, last season.

Clique

To the resident avid followers of the youth teams. Wasn't Joe ahead of Demetri in terms of development before 2017? Has his stock gone down only on account of his shoulder injury or is Demetri a better convert for the full back position ?

StephenH

To the resident avid followers of the youth teams. Wasn't Joe ahead of Demetri in terms of development before 2017? Has his stock gone down only on account of his shoulder injury or is Demetri a better convert for the full back position ?
I would assume Demi is still behind Joe, in all honesty, but timing and the fact Jose has actually seen him probably accounts for a lot.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Has real promise. A champo loan might be good for him. Very unlucky last season.

Hans Moleman

Has he been playing right back for the reserves? He's training with the team today, might be an outside chance he's starting at RB against Yeovil to rest Valencia? Or cover on the bench at least

Danish Wizard

Why would he make the bench against Yeovil.? Tuanzebe is a greater talent, and rarely made the bench, even in these cup-games. So can't see Riley being involved tomorrow. Remember, it is quite normal to have youngsters join the first team training, it doesn't have to mean anything..

kundalini

I'm amazed Joe Riley hasn't been either sent out on loan or sold. He was 21 in early December. He has started 39 games at U23 level. His only first team experience for United came under LVG when we had tons of injuries.

A cheap sale with reasonable buy-back clause (say £10m) would at least give him a realistic pathway.

Kostov

Whenever I've seen this guy play for the U-23 I've been impressed. If my memory serves me right he was very bright on his first team debut also. Saying that, I'm not sure why didn't we loan him out sooner. The boy needs first team experience.

Bwuk

He always done well when’s he’s played in the first team.

I’d rather him than Darmian.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He always done well when’s he’s played in the first team.

I’d rather him than Darmian.
Having not seen Riley myself I can't go this far but I agree I like seeing youngsters given a chance over senior players who look done here.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Seems to have stalled somewhat due to injuries, but I still think he’s got potential to eventually succeed here if he manages to blag an opportunity (unlikely) or a productive loan.

Brightonian

We should sell Darmian, and keep TFM and Riley in the first team squad next season. With his successful loan under his belt Timmy is now ready to be Valencia's understudy, and with his flexibility Riley should be able to get the same sort of game time that McTominay has had this season, which is enough to justify keeping him around instead of loaning him.

Utdstar01

Was the 2nd best player for us last night IMO. I think he will become a really good player if not for us, then in the PL for sure.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Shame what's happened to him, liked him under Joyce, just seems a nothing player now. Don't know if it's him or Sbragia, but either way he needs to move on now.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He's got a bright future ahead of him and is a player I really rate and enjoy watching. A Rafael style energetic fullback, was great for the reserves and was impressive when called upon for the first team. Its unfortunate about the freak accident while at Sheffield United and he should have had a loan again this season. I think we'll see him in the PL in a few years.

Kostov

Those minutes a useless git like Darmian received could have easily gone to Riley, and we might have had a player for the future. I rate Riley and best of luck in the future, I hope he ends up in the PL soon.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Liked what i saw of him. Hopefully Mitchell can do better.