Joe Rodon to Spurs

Wheato

Bale and Davis know him from the Welsh squad. Looks like a decent ball player, quick and intelligent. Sort of player who would make up for Maguires frailties. At 18m he's a steal. We should be throwing our hat in here. Giggs is his international manager. We could scupper Spurs plans. We need a center back and the EFL deadline gives us more time.

PoTMS

No, thanks. Not another average centre back.

Baneofthegame

Bale and Davis know him from the Welsh squad. Looks like a decent ball player, quick and intelligent. Sort of player who would make up for Maguires frailties. At 18m he's a steal. We should be throwing our hat in here. Giggs is his international manager. We could scupper Spurs plans. We need a center back and the EFL deadline gives us more time.
Well spurs only want to pay 7 million for him, so don’t see it happening.

Zoo

We need a top quality CB ready to go now. That’s not Rodon.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Not a potential any more. We basically need a level headed Bailly or a no shy Lindelof.

TheRedHearted

Good for Joe Rogan, from fear factor to a hundred million dollar podcast to playing for Jose Mourinho and Spurs!

Wheato

Well spurs only want to pay 7 million for him, so don’t see it happening.
Spurs new director of football, Trevor Birch, moved from Swansea in the summer. He's deffo got the inside contacts for this deal. We've got Ed's school pal, Matt Judge, who couldn't find his own face in a mirror.

Chairman Steve

I can picture Jose being downright glum and moody tonight regardless of whether Spurs pull this off or not. Rodon was most certainly not in his top 3 CB targets. This is probably a Spurs scout recommendation endorsed by Levy that he’s had to accept with gritted teeth.

el3mel

I can picture Jose being downright glum and moody tonight regardless of whether Spurs pull this off or not. Rodon was most certainly not in his top 3 CB targets. This is probably a Spurs scout recommendation endorsed by Levy that he’s had to accept with gritted teeth.
Not really, Mourinho knows Spurs funds pretty well, and they have had a fantastic window. Adding a CB is just the icing on the cake.

What he was asking for all the summer was another striker and they got a pretty good one for him.

Baneofthegame

Spurs new director of football, Trevor Birch, moved from Swansea in the summer. He's deffo got the inside contacts for this deal. We've got Ed's school pal, Matt Judge, who couldn't find his own face in a mirror.
What does that have to do with Spurs only wanting to pay 7 million rather than the 18-20 Swansea want?

DevilRed

Awful lot of lower tier signings for spurs.

I suppose the club is headed in that direction once mourinho is done with them.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Yes he signed top tier players for Utd too: Dalot, Bailly,Lindelöf , Fred

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

Who are these 'lower tier' signings? And lower tier than what?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s not good enough for any team looking to play CL football.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Not 100% sure what this one is about - he's had a few injuries to his ankles and missed a bit of game time over the past few seasons, so could be an iffy one.

Regarding the Birch thing - the insinuation is that Birch would know how much it would take. I gather Swansea are in a bit of a state at the moment, so it could be an opportunistic thing.

I think Birch is Director of Football Operations which includes the academy, so maybe it's a Dele/Dier type punt, rather than an 'alternative' to Skriniar

0le

I keep thinking Joe Rogan has joined Spurs.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Mou is just head coach in Spurs. He may be consult with the choice but he isn't the one making decision. Btw, Vardy, Maddison, Grealish, Jarrod Bowen, Ollie Watkins, Dele Alli were all Lower tier sigings too.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Spurs still hoping to sign Rodon from Swansea
Simon Stone
BBC Sport
Tottenham are still working on a deal to sign Swansea defender Joe Rodon ahead of the 17:00BST transfer deadline.
Spurs have been interested in the Wales international for some time, although there was a massive difference between the valuations of the two clubs.
However, the deal is still alive and there is hope from all sides that negotiations will be concluded successfully.
Swansea have identified Wolves defender Ryan Bennett as a replacement, with a medical for the player – who spent last season on loan at Leicester – arranged if the Rodon move is agreed.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Rodon all done it seems - joins his Welsh team-mates Bale and Davies at Spurs.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Nowhere near the standard for a top 6 team from what I’ve seen. Hope he does well though being Welsh.

youngrell

Definitely has potential. Has put in decent performances for Wales so far.

One thing he will need to improve is confidence on the ball. He’s calm and has good control but I often find he likes to offload to his fellow centre back a bit too frequently when he should trust in his ability a bit more.

The times he does drive on with the ball he looks very incisive.

el3mel

Huh ? They have had a fantastic window with whatever resources they had. Spurs will never sign top names in their primes, Kane, Son, Eriksen and Alli, their 4 best players under Poch weren't really "big names" when they were signed, they turned them to be like that, so it's no difference, they'll never sign big names, but they signed very solid players and strengthened most positions on the field in this window. Honestly, I believe Levy had a masterclass of a window.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
£11 million with potential to rise to £15 million. Bit of a punt but he is very highly rated by some - cant say I know much about him but at that price it looks a great bit of business. We needed a centre back for the squad so that finished what has been an outstanding window for Spurs.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He’s fantastic and I’m gutted he’s gone, especially at the price being quoted. it’s good business for Spurs, the combination of the pandemic and the Swansea board meant it was easy pickings, regardless of his injury history it’s gotta be worth the punt for them.

He’s been destined to play at a higher level for a while but injuries have frustrated things. We’re all prone to overrating our own players but when James and McBurnie left (players who were good for us) I was pretty happy about the fees we got (especially considering the club’s financial situation) but this just feels a bit shit. If he gets a bit luckier with injuries, given a bit of time to get used to the jump up he’s going to be great.

Gandalf

Having signed Doherty who is better at wing-back than as an orthodox right back and Reguillon who is clearly more of an attacker than a defender this could be a sign that Jose is looking to play a back 3 at least some of the time. Rodon has flourished in a 3 man defence at Swansea and looked very comfortable there for Wales against Bulgaria.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Having signed Doherty who is better at wing-back than as an orthodox right back and Reguillon who is clearly more of an attacker than a defender this could be a sign that Jose is looking to play a back 3 at least some of the time. Rodon has flourished in a 3 man defence at Swansea and looked very comfortable there for Wales against Bulgaria.
Maybe. But to be part of that Rodon is still going to have to first displace one of Sanchez, Dier or Alderweireld, not to mention Tanganga - our current youth (21) prospect who has generally done well so far in his 6 senior team appearances.

Gandalf

Maybe. But to be part of that Rodon is still going to have to first displace one of Sanchez, Dier or Alderweireld, not to mention Tanganga - our current youth (21) prospect who has generally done well so far in his 6 senior team appearances.
Not saying Rodon would be a nailed on starter, just that Jose may be looking at players who are comfortable in a 3 to get the best out of his wing backs. I agree on Tanganga, frankly he should be starting ahead of Sanchez.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Never heard of him but this one page sums up the caf.

Act 1: Someone is signing some guy, let's hijack

Cue several posts saying not good enough

Act 2: Guy signs with other club

Cue it's great business and works great in so many different ways

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Levy is hardly sanctioning this deal if he's going to be behind Tanganga.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Levy is hardly sanctioning this deal if he's going to be behind Tanganga.
He was offered (and signed) a new 5 year contract in the summer, so clearly the club value him. But he's still young and inexperienced, so for the time being he probably is only going to be used in some cup games or for injury cover.

Rondon is around 18 months older and has a lot more experience under his belt, so probably will be ahead of Tanganga in the current CB pecking order at Spurs.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Bit of speculation by Spurs, young lad, like Tanganga, could be a good investment down the track. If not it is 11mil so not breaking the bank and they can probably sell him on for 8 or so. Clearly not Spurs first choice, think they tried for Skriniar and then tested the waters around Demiral but couldnt make either happen so settled on taking a punt on the young Welsh lad.

Still, any kind of CB injury crisis and they are down to Rodon or Tanganga if say one CB is out for an extended period and another picks up a small knock or strain.

RashyForPM

Same as the Dan James deal. Low priced, young lad who looked better than his teammates at Swansea. It may or may not work out, although I’d be inclined to say James’ transfer hasn’t. We’ll see with Rodon.

Fosu-Mens

Most likely to bolster the squad and add in another centerback with some mobility. Alderweireld and Dier are fairly slow.
As suggested by some here, could be that they are looking to play 3 centrebacks in some games (maybe Jose got some input from Santo with Mendes the intermediary) and for that you need two fit centrebacks that are mobile.