Joe Rogan

MarylandMUFan

The face of Spotify ladies and gentlemen.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rogan goes full Qanon in a few years. Every episode he keeps sliding more to the right. At least the whole Joe "listens to both sides" Rogan schtick is over. He's been masquerading as a libertarian for years when he's clearly far right.
Yeah, I stopped listening since he started going so far off the rails. The move to Texas pretty much sealed the deal.

fergieisold

Wouldn't be surprised if Rogan goes full Qanon in a few years. Every episode he keeps sliding more to the right. At least the whole Joe "listens to both sides" Rogan schtick is over. He's been masquerading as a libertarian for years when he's clearly far right.
Christ, love rogan but what’s all that about? He not done his research or something?!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah but he says he's not right-wing, so none of that counts. In much the same way that Innes says he's not far-right, so it's unfair to hold founding a neo-fascist organisation against him. I mean who among us hasn't accidentally founded or promoted a hate group at one point or another? The key thing to focus on is that they're mostly fun guys.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Kinda funny really, larger point of the Tristan Harris episode I linked to is just this phenomenon. People've stoped thinking for themselves. Get their information off social media recommendations and then parrot it inside their narrower and narrower bubble

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I don't know why I thought Kanye West would be an interesting guest but I was absolutely wrong. I couldn't even finish the whole episode.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout

B-but he had Bernie on!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Agh, makes more sense listening to this, can’t see much of a problem actually.

The argument there seems to be that he had McInnes on the podcast before Proud Boys was really a thing, so the criticism levelled at him is unfair.

Yet McInnes' shit views could be seen as early as 2003 when he said borders should be closed so people would have to assimilate into a white, English-speaking way of life. Or in 2004 when he made racist comments about Asian people. Then in 2008 when he was pushed out of Vice after attending a far-right rally and writing a piece where he said he had mostly agreed with with what he had heard there. And again in 2014 when he was asked to leave a different role after having written an essay on transphobia entitled "Transphobia is perfectly natural". All this before his first appearance on Rogan's podcast.

By the time Rogan hosted McInnes for the last time in 2017, Proud Boys had already been founded, McInnes was advocating violence and had (amongst other things) openly identified as anti-Islam, levelled racist slurs at Asian-Americans, levelled racist slurs at multiple black people and espoused the "white genocide" conspiracy theory. Less than a month later he was being praised by high-profile neo-nazis and anti-semites for successfully rebranding white nationalism.

Rogan continued to defend McInnes in 2018 (across multiple podcasts), downplaying McInnes' involvement with the Proud Boys, describing it as a joke that had gotten out of hand, taking McInnes' exit from Proud Boys (which McInnes made clear was an attempt to improve his legal position) as sincere distancing from the group, disputing the idea that McInnes was a white supremacist, outright denying that he was a racist and instead describing him as a "interesting guy who says funny shit" and a "clever provocateur". By this point Proud Boys had been recognised as a white supremacist organisation by civil rights groups, the FBI had categorised various of their members as extremist threats with ties to white nationalism, they had been involved in multiple incidents of violence and were banned from the likes of Facebook, Twitter & Paypal. Meanwhile McInnes was denying that white supremacists even existed, describing the rise of neo-fascists as a hoax and claiming that black people were committing ethnic cleansing against white people in South Africa.

Even in 2020, long after everyone knew what Proud Boys was and after McInnes' awful rhetoric was clear for everyone to see, when any sensible person would be denouncing McInnes and his work, Rogan was still defending both the decision to have McInnes on the podcast and McInnes himself. "Mostly fun" isn't a description anyone with even half a brain should be applying to a man they know literally founded an extremist neo-fascist organisation.

There are a few morals to this story but prime among them is that if you happily provide a platform to an awful person with awful views then you will rightly be criticised if that awful person sets up a hate-group with the same awful views. At that point shrugging your shoulders and putting forward "he's mostly okay though" and "how was I supposed to know?" arguments doesn't cut it.

caid

I really have no issue with him providing a platform to awful people. He calls people (humans) apes as a matter of routine, pretty sure he did in the Alex Jones podcast too. Him having McInnes on came up in a few podcasts around the BLM protests earlier in the year. He still seems to think proud boys are a joke of a couple dozen nutters, he's often an idiot.

fergosaurus

Some of the covid nonsense he comes out with have put me off him too. A couple of weeks ago he was saying we don't need to socially distance any more ffs. :lol:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
What does based mean?
Based
Agreeable. Admirable. Worthy of support.

Often used in contexts where the action or opinion ignores popular trends and social conventions or requires special effort.

Used either seriously or tongue-in-cheek to encourage eccentric behavior for comedic effect.
A: I threw away my TV. I only read books now.
B: That's based.

A: I broke all the lamps in my apartment. No more bowing down to big electricity.
B: Based.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Based

Those comments on that Youtube video (assuming that's what you're referring to) are basically saying Joe is good for saying what he did.

NotThatSoph

I love Alex Jones. He's funny and i'm not stupid enough to believe anything he says.
He has Glenn Greenwald on today who's interesting and a lot less objectionable. Its an easier recommendation for the caf
Do you love it when people get death threats because their kid was murdered, or just when you get to laugh at a podcast?

caid

Do you love it when people get death threats because their kid was murdered, or just when you get to laugh at a podcast?
I enjoy laughing, which is what Alex Jones makes me do. I don't feel a single shred of guilt of about anything someone i never have or will meet does, no.

fergieisold

The argument there seems to be that he had McInnes on the podcast before Proud Boys was really a thing, so the criticism levelled at him is unfair.

Yet McInnes' shit views could be seen as early as 2003 when he said borders should be closed so people would have to assimilate into a white, English-speaking way of life. Or in 2004 when he made racist comments about Asian people. Then in 2008 when he was pushed out of Vice after attending a far-right rally and writing a piece where he said he had mostly agreed with with what he had heard there. And again in 2014 when he was asked to leave a different role after having written an essay on transphobia entitled "Transphobia is perfectly natural". All this before his first appearance on Rogan's podcast.

By the time Rogan hosted McInnes for the last time in 2017, Proud Boys had already been founded, McInnes was advocating violence and had (amongst other things) openly identified as anti-Islam, levelled racist slurs at Asian-Americans, levelled racist slurs at multiple black people and espoused the "white genocide" conspiracy theory. Less than a month later he was being praised by high-profile neo-nazis and anti-semites for successfully rebranding white nationalism.

Rogan continued to defend McInnes in 2018 (across multiple podcasts), downplaying McInnes' involvement with the Proud Boys, describing it as a joke that had gotten out of hand, taking McInnes' exit from Proud Boys (which McInnes made clear was an attempt to improve his legal position) as sincere distancing from the group, disputing the idea that McInnes was a white supremacist, outright denying that he was a racist and instead describing him as a "interesting guy who says funny shit" and a "clever provocateur". By this point Proud Boys had been recognised as a white supremacist organisation by civil rights groups, the FBI had categorised various of their members as extremist threats with ties to white nationalism, they had been involved in multiple incidents of violence and were banned from the likes of Facebook, Twitter & Paypal. Meanwhile McInnes was denying that white supremacists even existed, describing the rise of neo-fascists as a hoax and claiming that black people were committing ethnic cleansing against white people in South Africa.

Even in 2020, long after everyone knew what Proud Boys was and after McInnes' awful rhetoric was clear for everyone to see, when any sensible person would be denouncing McInnes and his work, Rogan was still defending both the decision to have McInnes on the podcast and McInnes himself. "Mostly fun" isn't a description anyone with even half a brain should be applying to a man they know literally founded an extremist neo-fascist organisation.

There are a few morals to this story but prime among them is that if you happily provide a platform to an awful person with awful views then you will rightly be criticised if that awful person sets up a hate-group with the same awful views. At that point shrugging your shoulders and putting forward "he's mostly okay though" and "how was I supposed to know?" arguments doesn't cut it.
You’ve clearly done your research, would be great to get sources to read based on your points.

do you think joe knew he was who he was initially? Rogan isn’t stupid, I suppose he could have known and tried to get him on to see what his views were. His subsequent defence of him could be just a way to not deter other controversial characters from coming into the show...but then I feel like I’m venturing into tinfoil hat territory!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You’ve clearly done your research, would be great to get sources to read based on your points.

do you think joe knew he was who he was initially? Rogan isn’t stupid, I suppose he could have known and tried to get him on to see what his views were. His subsequent defence of him could be just a way to not deter other controversial characters from coming into the show...but then I feel like I’m venturing into tinfoil hat territory!
Rogan is definitely being disingenuous in his response. Even in the first few seconds of that video you could tell he wasn’t being sincere. Trying to pretend he didn’t know what Stormfront was. There’s not a hope in hell someones spends as much time online as he does and hasn’t heard of that website.

NotThatSoph

I enjoy laughing, which is what Alex Jones makes me do. I don't feel a single shred of guilt of about anything someone i never have or will meet does, no.
That's a weird attitude. If you pay someone you never have or never will meet to kill someone, would you feel guilt then? Alex Jones is one link away from that. You and the other people in his audience give him the power to get other people to harass and attempt murder. The constant harassment of Sandy Hook victims, the Comet Ping Pong shooting, that's because people entertain Alex Jones.

caid

That's a weird attitude. If you pay someone you never have or never will meet to kill someone, would you feel guilt then? Alex Jones is one link away from that. You and the other people in his audience give him the power to get other people to harass and attempt murder. The constant harassment of Sandy Hook victims, the Comet Ping Pong shooting, that's because people entertain Alex Jones.
Meh, guilt by association by association by association is a bit too remote for me to feel any responsibility for. Use existing criminal law to deal with people making death threats, your idea sounds silly to me. And the conversation boring so i'll bow out.

NotThatSoph

Meh, guilt by association by association by association is a bit too remote for me to feel any responsibility for. Use existing criminal law to deal with people making death threats, your idea sounds silly to me. And the conversation boring so i'll bow out.
Your associations actually do reflect on you as a person. You're propping up someone who uses his influence to get people harassed and shot at. Without people like you he wouldn't be able to do that.

I don't expect you to feel guilt. I don't expect Alex Jones to feel guilt. I do expect you to know what you're doing and not care about it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Your associations actually do reflect on you as a person. You're propping up someone who uses his influence to get people harassed and shot at. Without people like you he wouldn't be able to do that.

I don't expect you to feel guilt. I don't expect Alex Jones to feel guilt. I do expect you to know what you're doing and not care about it.
BuT AlEx JoNes Is FunNy.

caid

I can laugh my arse off at this and still think he's a twat...

I like the random autotune songs people make of him

He's a clown, people treating him like he's a figure of authority or a journalist that has a responsibility to the public are giving him way too much credit.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
What's the deal with "RIP Joe Rogan" on all football and mma streams?

I know that he's alive... and that the chat there is worse than youtube comments, but... where did this start? Anyone know?

Tarrou

Just been reading about Jones and the Sandy Hook thing, jesus what an absolute scum-bag. feck Rogan for helping legitimize this guy

He’s also been hocking fake covid remedies on his website, the guy should be locked up

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Rogan is definitely being disingenuous in his response. Even in the first few seconds of that video you could tell he wasn’t being sincere. Trying to pretend he didn’t know what Stormfront was. There’s not a hope in hell someones spends as much time online as he does and hasn’t heard of that website.
Didn't watch the video, but I believe you. I've been online, a lot, since mid 90s. Don't think I ever heard of stormfront. At least that I know of as I write this. There is probably an endless list of things I never heard of. Or remember that I heard of. Rogan seem a busy guy with his online persona, podcast, mma commentary and comedy. Dunno what else he's into.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What's the deal with "RIP Joe Rogan" on all football and mma streams?

I know that he's alive... and that the chat there is worse than youtube comments, but... where did this start? Anyone know?
People are probably trying to get him cancelled or.something.

I have his podcast in my download list but he rarely had people on that I'm interested in. The last one I listened to was Snowden.

I lasted about 5 minutes into the Kanye one and turned off.

I have no problem with him interviewing nutjobs, my only real complaint is if they're boring and too many of them are.

Tarrou

I think he's too main-stream for it to be 'cool' to have nut-jobs on his show and he has a social responsibility to not put these extremists on his podcast

Most rational people can watch Alex Jones and find it funny/harmless if that is your sorta thing but some really can't. Some are just uneducated/unintelligent and perhaps a bit gullible, some are old and going senile, and some are just mentally ill. There's a lot of people out there that it can cause harm to in some way.

So when you have these right-wing nut-jobs selling their various snake oil products online that claim to cure things people really should be going to the doctor for - and you start scaling it - you inevitable get to the point where a lot of harm is being done.

And that is before you consider the prospect of his hate-filled rants and false statements of fact gee'ing up some gun nut to go shoot up a school or restaurant, or get trolls to send death-threats to grieving parents.

caid

I think he's too main-stream for it to be 'cool' to have nut-jobs on his show and he has a social responsibility to not put these extremists on his podcast

Most rational people can watch Alex Jones and find it funny/harmless if that is your sorta thing but some really can't. Some are just uneducated/unintelligent and perhaps a bit gullible, some are old and going senile, and some are just mentally ill. There's a lot of people out there that it can cause harm to in some way.

So when you have these right-wing nut-jobs selling their various snake oil products online that claim to cure things people really should be going to the doctor for - and you start scaling it - you inevitable get to the point where a lot of harm is being done.

And that is before you consider the prospect of his hate-filled rants and false statements of fact gee'ing up some gun nut to go shoot up a school or restaurant, or get trolls to send death-threats to grieving parents.
Is that a modern internet misinformation thing or has that always been the case? Once upon a time i'd say they're a tiny proportion of the population and not particularly relevant but maybe things have changed or I'm just wrong in general.
I've been thinking recently that the problem isn't particularly Alex Jones or your flathearther commentators or whatever. Its that the actual legitimate sources of information, news and government, are also full of shit. Or just that western society in general is kind of full of shit. People lie endlessly with their perfect, carefully curated, instagram lives and in a thousand other ways. We've made a realistic portrayal of reality so difficult to recognise that people latch onto any compelling story they're fed by entertaining lunatics.
Joe Rogan talked about the subject on the Glenn Greenwald podcast anyway. Towards the end. He agreed with you seemingly but i guess has a blind spot for Alex Jones? Or he just changed his mind that day? He said he doesn't plan to have more far right guests on in future.
I'm not particularly disposed towards protecting people from themselves. I see your point i just dont particularly agree. I guess i think you should focus more on these various vulnerable people and educating them or helping them make better choices than the individual snake oil salesman. Because theres always 10 more malicious conmen lined up behind.

Tarrou

Is that a modern internet misinformation thing or has that always been the case? Once upon a time i'd say they're a tiny proportion of the population and not particularly relevant but maybe things have changed or I'm just wrong in general.
I've been thinking recently that the problem isn't particularly Alex Jones or your flathearther commentators or whatever. Its that the actual legitimate sources of information, news and government, are also full of shit. Or just that western society in general is kind of full of shit. People lie endlessly with their perfect, carefully curated, instagram lives and in a thousand other ways. We've made a realistic portrayal of reality so difficult to recognise that people latch onto any compelling story they're fed by entertaining lunatics.
Joe Rogan talked about the subject on the Glenn Greenwald podcast anyway. Towards the end. He agreed with you seemingly but i guess has a blind spot for Alex Jones? Or he just changed his mind that day? He said he doesn't plan to have more far right guests on in future.
I'm not particularly disposed towards protecting people from themselves. I see your point i just dont particularly agree. I guess i think you should focus more on these various vulnerable people and educating them or helping them make better choices than the individual snake oil salesman. Because theres always 10 more malicious conmen lined up behind.
if people and/or ideas have value they find their way to a wider audience, that's how it always worked.. nowadays the internet can by-pass that process and elevate stupid or bad ideas to a wider-audience

the internet has made that difference which is why I think we need to take a little more care with it

for example, apparently 800 people managed to kill themselves with alcohol because they thought it cured covid. Are they stupid as feck? Yes. Do they deserve to die for it? Of course not.

you make a good point about society being full of shit as well and that obviously doesn't help us filter through the good and bad ideas

Oldyella

I love Alex Jones. He's funny and i'm not stupid enough to believe anything he says.
He has Glenn Greenwald on today who's interesting and a lot less objectionable. Its an easier recommendation for the caf
Was he funny when he was hassling the parents of Sandy Hook victims?

InfiniteBoredom

Rogan isn’t a great interviewer, nor is he a knowledgeable person, nor is he funny despite the comedian tag.

The whole value of his podcast is in having people from all backgrounds on and have them talk to their hearts content, and occasionally he’ll have a confrontation or two with a particularly stupid/out of whack one to create highlights and shock value. It’d get stale pretty quickly if he has to moderate who gets to be on the program, it’s all about the green.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Not sure if anyone has his livestream on but its awful.

Not sure if Joe is intoxicated or what but he's showing nothing but disdain for his guest, seems to think he's full of shit and its just awkward.

OleBoiii

If Trump wins: do you think Joe Rogan played a significant part, seeing as he said he'd rather vote for Trump than Biden?

He's the biggest podcaster in the world and a very large portion of his listeners are young. Young people are less likely to vote and more likely to change their opinion.

caid

If Trump wins: do you think Joe Rogan played a significant part, seeing as he said he'd rather vote for Trump than Biden?

He's the biggest podcaster in the world and a very large portion of his listeners are young. Young people are less likely to vote and more likely to change their opinion.
I'd be kind of surprised if anyone held his opinion in that high a regard.