Joe Rogan

Bobski

He’s just a daft cnut. People generally call him that. Not a loon.
Yes, and maybe naively on my part, I put the responsibility on the consumer of his mediocrity to understand that and give his opinions the value they deserve.

Last edited:

NotThatSoph

Yes, and maybe naively on my part, I put the responsibility on the consumer of his mediocrity to understand that and give his opinions the value they deserve.
I'm not going to look for it, but there was a poll done that shows that people who listens to Rogan are substantially more anti-vax than the general American population. I believe at the time about half of his listeners were vaccinated, while on a national level it was three quarters.The question then is how the causality goes - whether there's self-selection going on where people who are anti-vax are more likely to listen to people like Rogan than normal people are, or if people who listen to Rogan is influenced by his repeated and consistent misinformation.

Charlie Foley

Listened to his episode with Ryan Holiday yesterday. I like Holiday’s books a lot so I wanted to listen to him talk, but there’s this funny moment where he’s talking about how he’s made conscious choices in his life to try and make his kids grow up more “normal” (the topic being how the children of kings or emperors etc , or wealthy people, tend to grow up to be dicks). You can see Joe Rogan clearly can’t say the same so he starts talking about how good sports are for your development. What he goes on to say if I recall correctly wasn’t bad (basically how good sport/athletics is both mentally and physically) but the timing did make me chuckle. Perhaps I’m being too harsh

Bobski

I'm not going to look for it, but there was a poll done that shows that people who listens to Rogan are substantially more anti-vax than the general American population. I believe at the time about half of his listeners were vaccinated, while on a national level it was three quarters.The question then is how the causality goes - whether there's self-selection going on where people who are anti-vax are more likely to listen to people like Rogan than normal people are, or if people who listen to Rogan is influenced by his repeated and consistent misinformation.
I would think that is more likely the first, and if they were not listening to Rogan it would be someone else telling them the things they want to hear or giving encouragement to harmful conspiracy theories. Perhaps Rogan gives them a figurehead to rally around, but I would be more concerned if it was someone with a great deal more intellectual weight.

I think that if an individual is the type to unthinkingly believe what a man like Rogan says, or give any intellectual authority to him outside of subjects like MMA and Pot, then the problem started well before the introduction to Rogan.

NotThatSoph

I would think that is more likely the first, and if they were not listening to Rogan it would be someone else telling them the things they want to hear or giving encouragement to harmful conspiracy theories. Perhaps Rogan gives them a figurehead to rally around, but I would be more concerned if it was someone with a great deal more intellectual weight.

I think that if an individual is the type to unthinkingly believe what a man like Rogan says, or give any intellectual authority to him outside of subjects like MMA and Pot, then the problem started well before the introduction to Rogan.
I looked up the article anyway, and it also looked into the demographic of listeners. Overwhelmingly male, 50+ % conservative Trump voters, so that should explain at least a portion of the anti-vax sentiment.

Fluctuation0161

I suspect his podcast attracts more "alternative thinkers" than it creates.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Yes but that kind of dipshit thinking doesn't deserve reward or celebration on a global media platform, that's the problem.

Kopral Jono

I've just finished listening to a recent Rogan episode featuring a bloke called Tim Kennedy. Holy fecking shitballs, this guy is like each and every braindead Rogan guest rolled into one. What an irredeemable, way too far gone, piece of dead pig shit. He's that bad the thought of Roy Keane doing a Haaland on him in a parallel universe somewhere brings a smile to my face.

NotThatSoph

I've just finished listening to a recent Rogan episode featuring a bloke called Tim Kennedy. Holy fecking shitballs, this guy is like each and every braindead Rogan guest rolled into one. What an irredeemable, way too far gone, piece of dead pig shit. He's that bad the thought of Roy Keane doing a Haaland on him in a parallel universe somewhere brings a smile to my face.
That's where they blame the police failure in Uvalde on "defund the police", right? The same cops who receive 40 % of the city's budged. Oh, and Hollywood.

Kopral Jono

That's where they blame the police failure in Uvalde on "defund the police", right? The same cops who receive 40 % of the city's budged. Oh, and Hollywood.
Yep, school shootings happen because Matthew McConaughey shot someone in a movie. Some Einstein logic right there. Even Rogan wasn't buying it.

My main gripe with these type of Rogan guests is they claim to be moderate but only ever spout reactionary right-wing bullshit at best or QAnon-inspired conspiracy theories at worst. At the very least own the feck up that you belong firmly in the right -- it isn't that hard (but it sure as hell gives you way less street cred in the world of culture wars). Give me Alex Jones anytime, at least you get a good laugh with him.

sport2793

Rogan is just an idiot and his podcast guests tend to be from various walks of life. He's even had the likes of Sanjay Gupta on before. Don't think the guy is intentionally malicious to be honest, there are far worse out there.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Rogan is just an idiot and his podcast guests tend to be from various walks of life. He's even had the likes of Sanjay Gupta on before. Don't think the guy is intentionally malicious to be honest, there are far worse out there.
It's then an issue of scale. If he is the local village idiot with an audience of 4 then that's ok.

sport2793

It's then an issue of scale. If he is the local village idiot with an audience of 4 then that's ok.
That's true, obviously if there isn't enough fact checking and certain views consistently rise to the top then it can do more damage than good. That's the real problem with his podcast as it has ended up this way more often than not.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
That's true, obviously if there isn't enough fact checking and certain views consistently rise to the top then it can do more damage than good. That's the real problem with his podcast as it has ended up this way more often than not.
He’s a cancer.

poleglass red

wasn't he a fighter in the UFC at one point

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I listened to the Mike Judge episode.

First 20 mins or so were really interesting, talking about how be got Beavis and Butthead on MTV, how the production of Idiocracy was a nightmare...

....then they talked about hunting for an hour.

NotThatSoph

I knew he was thick, but not this thick to become a DiSantis stan.
I don't think it's just about being thick, a lot of people are thick without going that route.

While some people have tried to cast Rogan as a liberal, what in fact he used to be is a confused person with libertarian ideals. He had some socially liberal ideals, and still to some degree holds them. He's not against gay marriage, he does want to legalize weed, and he is pro choice. What has changed is how much he values those things compared to other things. He also probably still wants universal healthcare, in theory, but he has never wanted to pay for it. He doesn't want to pay for practically anything, though he would want some leftist or liberal things if they were free.

He's old. He's rich as feck. He's dumb as feck. He's comfortably on the right in the culture war. He's anti-vax. He's anti-Democrat. He's pro-Republican. DeSantis is the perfect choice, he's Trump but without the gauche Trumpism.

atkar83

It's been quiet around him lately. He still podcasting?
There were rumors his ratings fell when he hit Spotify (I stopped listening, definitely didn't want to hear his 50th anti-trans-in-sports or anti-vax/covid rant in every episode), but I'm guessing he's made up for it with a right wing base, which is why he tries so hard to have hard right leaning views now. He won't even make fun of idiots like Cruz and Trump for the dumb stuff they do, he just shies away, but will go all out against any democratic politician.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
"Going through tough times tells you things about yourself, who you are, about your character, and gives you a chance to grow."

And how did you walk through the firestorm you found yourself in Joe?

"I took mushrooms and worked out a lot."

RedDevilQuebecois

Looks like he has had enough of Trump. But even so, the excerpt below is disconcerting.

Rogan said Trump will most likely run for president again in 2024. Asked if Trump can win, Rogan answered, “Well, he’s running against a dead man, you know? I mean, [Joe] Biden shakes hands with people that aren’t even there when he gets off stage. I think he’s seeing ghosts. You see him on Jimmy Kimmel the other day? He was just rambling. I mean, he’s — if he was anyone else, if he was a Republican, if that was Donald Trump doing that, every fecking talk show would be screaming for him to be off the air.”