Joel Castro Pereira

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He was highly rated by my Rochdale fan at work while he was there. A championship loan would be great for him. Lower leagues are the best place to learn how to command an area and come and claim cross confidently.

Tibs

I'd love for Joel to eventually become our No.1.....he LOVES United and is so proud to be part of our set up. A top guy

khoazany

Do you feel this way about Romero's contribution or is it simply because he's ahead younger players?
Romero is a solid keeper and certainly good enough to be our number 2 but if a younger GK reaches a certain level it would be completely unnecessary to have him. He has shown that he has some problems on his composure as well so it's not like he's that "reliable". Personally I don't think there's much betweeen Johnstone and Romero, but the consensus is always swayed towards the more experienced option when it comes to goalkeeper, which is fair enough.

Loublaze

ATLien
Romero is a solid keeper and certainly good enough to be our number 2 but if a younger GK reaches a certain level it would be completely unnecessary to have him. He has shown that he has some problems on his composure as well so it's not like he's that "reliable". Personally I don't think there's much betweeen Johnstone and Romero, but the consensus is always swayed towards the more experienced option when it comes to goalkeeper, which is fair enough.
It's more than fair enough. Johnstone has nothing on Romero and I hope he gets much needed game time at Villa. Out of the two I think Pereira is the better prospect and he'll probably take the number two spot in the next few seasons if he decides to stay because they will be interest surely. I don't see what problems with composure you speak of when it comes to Romero.
When he first signed people thought he was too lax on the ball which I don't feel translates to a lack of composure but maybe points more to overconfidence or a short lapse in concentration (when balls were played back to him). We haven't seen that in any of his appearances this season and if anything he's looked very assured on the ball and his kicking is just as good as De Gea's.

DarkRed

How is he doing? For some time it looked like he was rated highly, but now feels like he fading...

Mickson

How is he doing? For some time it looked like he was rated highly, but now feels like he fading...
Quite underwhelming these last two, three seasons to be fair. Not doing great out on loan and has looked shaky at United in his few appearances. He was always a brilliant shoot stopper but seem out of confidence now. Has so many suspect moments lately and, sadly, in most games. They absolutely hate him at Hearts, calling him one of their worst GKs ever and they are currently bottom of the table in Scotland! I can see United selling him in the summer. I remember when he was young and saved a penalty for Rochdale, Mourinho talking him up as a future number one for Portugal and so on. The times they are a-changing.

Mainoldo

Quite underwhelming these last two, three seasons to be fair. Not doing great out on loan and has looked shaky at United in his few appearances. He was always a brilliant shoot stopper but seem out of confidence now. Has so many suspect moments lately and, sadly, in most games. They absolutely hate him at Hearts, calling him one of their worst GKs ever and they are currently bottom of the table in Scotland! I can see United selling him in the summer. I remember when he was young and saved a penalty for Rochdale, Mourinho talking him up as a future number one for Portugal and so on. The times they are a-changing.
He might go on to turn alright. Sam Johnstone, couldn’t catch a cold apparently at the Villa. Then ended up being too good for them. Hopefully Joel can go on to have a decent career.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's in the Olympic squad.

Great for him.
But he must get a loan deal after the tournament.

Reading through that squad thinking how few of them amounted to anything. Best is probably some guy Bruno Fernandes who was at Udinese at the time :)

RedDevilRoshi

I stay in Edinburgh and according to many of the Hearts fans I’ve spoken with, he’s one of the worst GK’s they have ever had and were desperately hoping that the loan deal was going to get cut short in January. Many of them are surprised how he is still on our books.

His performances have been that awful, he has been given a nickname of Poppadom Fingers by many Hearts fans as his handling and shot stopping is dreadful. Apparently last night he let in an absolute clanger and has been doing it quite regularly this season.

My local team is Hibs, therefore I’m quite happy how Pereira has been performing over at the pink bus shelter. Keep it up Joel! :lol:

Mickson

He might go on to turn alright. Sam Johnstone, couldn’t catch a cold apparently at the Villa. Then ended up being too good for them. Hopefully Joel can go on to have a decent career.
Yep, but he's 24 in April and the worrying part is that he's regressing. Obviously, he should turn out to be okay but it isn't exactly a high level playing in Scotland or Belgium.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I stay in Edinburgh and according to many of the Hearts fans I’ve spoken with, he’s one of the worst GK’s they have ever had and were desperately hoping that the loan deal was going to get cut short in January. Many of them are surprised how he is still on our books.

His performances have been that awful, he has been given a nickname of Poppadom Fingers by many Hearts fans as his handling and shot stopping is dreadful. Apparently last night he let in an absolute clanger and has been doing it quite regularly this season.

My local team is Hibs, therefore I’m quite happy how Pereira has been performing over at the pink bus shelter. Keep it up Joel! :lol:
My brother went to the Celtic game you are on about and absolutely slated him, saying it was a terrible goal to concede and he was just awful in general too. Think we will jettison him in the summer.

Mickson

My brother went to the Celtic game you are on about and absolutely slated him, saying it was a terrible goal to concede and he was just awful in general too. Think we will jettison him in the summer.
He was at fault for the first goal but was pretty decent after that tbf.

Vault Dweller

He was at fault for the first goal but was pretty decent after that tbf.
See I saw someone else say that which is fair enough. However, my brother and a work colleague (Celtic season ticket holder) both said that there was one save he made that looked like it was for the cameras and that his distribution and overall demeanor in goal is terrible. I can't say I disagree, seen Hearts quite a few times this season on Sky and BT and he strikes me as a really poor goalie, albeit he does look really shot confidence wise.

Mickson

See I saw someone else say that which is fair enough. However, my brother and a work colleague (Celtic season ticket holder) both said that there was one save he made that looked like it was for the cameras and that his distribution and overall demeanor in goal is terrible. I can't say I disagree, seen Hearts quite a few times this season on Sky and BT and he strikes me as a really poor goalie, albeit he does look really shot confidence wise.
Fair enough. I only saw highlights, to be fair. He made one really good save and did a great job en the rebound to get it away and then he made one save maybe for the cameras, but still a good save. He couldn't do anything for the four goals. But, as I said, he was at fault for the first one. He was okayish but overall, he has been underwhelming.

Vault Dweller

Fair enough. I only saw highlights, to be fair. He made one really good save and did a great job en the rebound to get it away and then he made one save maybe for the cameras, but still a good save. He couldn't do anything for the four goals. But, as I said, he was at fault for the first one. He was okayish but overall, he has been underwhelming.
Yea I think that's the most accurate way to describe him. Listening to Scottish football podcasts and the way Hearts fans go on about him they really dislike him and journalists don't seem to think much of him either. Can't see us retaining him beyond the summer.

DarkRed

Would you say his regression caused by him staying as third keeper instead of going out and playing on loan like Henderson?
How would you compare him to Kieran O'Hara?

Mickson

Would you say his regression caused by him staying as third keeper instead of going out and playing on loan like Henderson?
How would you compare him to Kieran O'Hara?
He has been on several loans, so that's not the problem. I would say his standard is about the same as O'Hara's, maybe even a slight advantage for O'Hara. There was a time when Pereira was rated higher than Henderson.

Mark Pawelek

He has been on several loans, so that's not the problem. I would say his standard is about the same as O'Hara's, maybe even a slight advantage for O'Hara. There was a time when Pereira was rated higher than Henderson.
But O'Hara's stats are much better. In fact Pereira's stats look very worrying.

Henderson conceded 7 fewer goals than de Gea in as many matches. Their save stats are almost the same!

Henderson's distribution currenly leaves a question mark over it. On the plus side de Gea, too, once had distribution down below as 40% (in his Altelico days) but it's a lot better now. Indicating Henderson can improve here. I also see Henderson plays a lot of long balls. Probably on instruction from his coaches.