Joel Glazer: If you want to know the road ahead find someone who’s been there

Crustanoid

Ffs people defending the Glazers

Where would we be without them?

Village idiots

PieCrust

The Glazers have put up the money. The problem is that they've let Ed spend it.

Most expensive midfielder, striker and defender at the time of their purchase.

The amazing part is that they make so much money regardless, that they continue to let Ed be in charge of it all. That is the real crime.

Fluctuation0161

To be fair we’ve spent a fecking fortune since the retirement of Sir Alex, poor recruitment isn’t their fault. Just a few months ago people were losing their shit not spending €120m on Sancho and now he might be available for far less. We’re nearly there I believe, 2 or 3 top additions and we can go to the next level.
Poor strategy for recruitment is down to Woodward, the Glazer man who would've been sacked 5 years ago in any other job.

mu4c_20le

If that's Joel's wise words, why on earth have they gone/stuck with Woodward?
To be fair, the bucs have won feck all since the last time they moneyball'd it and haven't come close since. Maybe, like the article suggests, they have finally figured it out and will have a knock on effect on the other team that they own. Because they've been running us like the Dallas Cowboys.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
These guys actually make my skin crawl... not a jot of charisma between the lot of them
I ran a restaurant in Tampa where we would do a lot of smaller, private dining events for the family, both personal & business settings. They’re pretty soulless.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
To be fair, the bucs have won feck all since the last time they moneyball'd it and haven't come close since. Maybe, like the article suggests, they have finally figured it out and will have a knock on effect on the other team that they own. Because they've been running us like the Dallas Cowboys.
We didn’t moneyball it in 2002, the Glazers just aren’t that smart. We just hired well the previous summer.

But, you’re right, we didn’t come close since, even to get into the playoffs. I wouldn’t hold any aspirations that the Bucs’ success will make one iota of difference at United.

Speako

The scouting report:

Skinny
Lacks great physical stature and strength
Lacks mobility
Can’t drive the ball downfield
Gets knocked down easily.
Takes a hell of a throw-in though

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Strange comments.

I don’t like these type of (capitalist) owners but I can’t say I dislike the Glazers as individuals. The fact that they own two of the most recognized clubs/organizations in the world tells me that they know their onions.

The Bucs with Brady, AB, Gronk and probably one of the best D-line in the NFL has done some remarkable achievement by winning the SB, in the middle of a Pandemic with only a few weeks of virtual preparation. Right now Tampa Bay is the place for every free agent to go.

United is on is way up and not far away from reaching the mountain top. Ole is making great progress , just like Bruce Arians did this season with Brady & Co.

We could easily have some owners with lower ambitions.
I don’t think this is possible for a club of Manchester United’s stature.....no one is coming into a club of our size and saying our aim in 6-10 in the league.

ROFLUTION

Don't know enough about the bucs to say, but wouldn't it be a pretty equal situation if every team moneyballs it?

I mean it was an advantage for those who moved first, where everyone was not up to their moneyball standards hence they got an advantage then, but not afterwards, when every team has their own stat-team, projections-team, etc.

Same goes for football now. Every club has their stat-team, it's mostly a matter of who got the most competent one. Maybe the bucks moneyball / statsteam was just not that competent?

arthurka

Hate when people come here and say that the Glazers have let us spend..
They buried the club in debts when they took over and it's still there. They have taken money out that the club makes. They have done shit all for this club, shit all.

Giggsyking

It does not fecking matter how much they have spent in the last 7 years post Sir Alex. They fecking refused to invest in the team since selling CR7 and we went backward depending entirely on the genius manager to make wonders with peanuts. We fecking left hazard go to Chelsea for 3 fecking millions.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Plot twist. Joel Glazer wasn’t thinking about us in that moment and Joel Glazer doesn’t think about us very often at all.

Water Melon

Shite owners, put us in huge debt which is still there, take their fooking dividends, all of which is generated by the club. Screw them.

stevoc

it kind of shows how little they know about the sport? Pogbas obviously been very good in patches but was never ever going to be leader in his early to mid 20s. Massively distracted and poor in patches.Has looked to be on the way out of the club for 4 of his 5 summers here. Flagship signing. Never built a team around him. I do sympathise with the player to an extent though. How was he going to win with Matic lingard and pereira starting beside him. I doubt thats what the club pitched him before he signed. They will most likely make him the highest paid player in the league to stay. I think that’s going to be another huge expensive mistake.

Maguire looks like finally trusting the scouts even if it is scouting by numbers. Let’s not buy him and send the coach you just signed up to a huge long new deal off into a meltdown and then pay 25% more for him a year later on top of paying off the highest paid coach in the country to leave. Who’s the best English centre back in the league. Oh it’s still that guy but he’s a lot more expensive now. Best get it done anyway. At least he’s the kind of player Fergie would have signed and hopefully a signal that we are returning to the approach that made us successful in the first place.

Sanchez: I called it before he signed. Absolute disaster all round.

Di Maria: did anybody even talk to him before he signed?

lukaku: not the right fit. Worse than useless after he fell out with Pogba. Since been replaced with a loan and a free transfer

Making DDG the highest paid keeper in the world.

giving Woodward with no background or contacts in the game so much power. Not moving him aside at any stage.

letting the stadium fall into disrepair

letting the youth system fall behind on their watch. fair enough they’ve since addressed this.

letting Haaland and Upamecano slip through their fingers when they were in the building and going for peanuts. We are just very weak when it comes to recruitment and way too smug about it too.

the stupid contacts we keep handing out

the dof lie after every poor window preparing to make bids.

Briefing the press that Bruno loses the ball too much for a top team and then going back 6 months later cap in hand and paying more. They tried their best to not get that deal done. They killed the sancho deal and left us without a right winger for yet another season but they may get him a bit cheaper a year later because of a pandemic. they got a bit of luck there and with Bruno and now the narrative is they know what they are at... madness.

They are absolute spoofers and by far the biggest problem at the club is that they get final say on everything.
When does Woodward become a football person?

bdecuc

‘If you want to know the road ahead, ask the person that’s been there’. We should feel so lucky to be allowed hear such wise, wise words. Papa Glazer everybody what a man.

Parasites.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Thats the impression I get as an outsider. How often are any of them at games?
Hardly. But Joel Glazer is even better than someone like Stan Kreonke or the guy at Liverpool, John Henry or something like that.
These feckers don't care about football. Lets not have any delusions about that. I don't even mind that they don't come to games. This is a business for them, nothing more or less.
American football/baseball is their sport. That's what they grew up watching. The best we can hope for is that their ambitions match the fan's as much as possible.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Usual negative Nancie's in here viewing this in the most negative way :lol:

Thats the impression I get as an outsider. How often are any of them at games?
I mean they are largely hated here Duff... Do you blame them?

ravelston

We didn’t moneyball it in 2002, the Glazers just aren’t that smart. We just hired well the previous summer.

But, you’re right, we didn’t come close since, even to get into the playoffs. I wouldn’t hold any aspirations that the Bucs’ success will make one iota of difference at United.
Hired well is a bit of an exaggeration - they mortgaged their future to get Gruden - 2 first round picks, two second rounders and a bunch of cash. Basically meant that, from that season on, they had a coach but a rapidly declining player pool. Was a bit like our signing van Persie - bought SAF one last title but essentially screwed us going forward.

lex talionis

I'm not a supporter of the Glazers in any way, but surely they're not the ones who tell Woody and Ole (or Louis or Jose or Gollum) who should be purchased. The nix deals, I have no doubt, but it can't be that they ever tell Woody to go buy A or B player.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I'm not a supporter of the Glazers in any way, but surely they're not the ones who tell Woody and Ole (or Louis or Jose or Gollum) who should be purchased. The nix deals, I have no doubt, but it can't be that they ever tell Woody to go buy A or B player.
They made Martial and Pogba untouchable over any manager up to now. Dithered on Maguire for a year and between Jose’s compensation and the bump in Maguires price lost another pretty penny. Took a massive risk Cavani on a free at his age would produce in this league. Still no right winger. Signing jones and Matic up to long new deals just to prop up the value of the squad when in reality they provide nothing to the squad. They are absolute idiots. I wrote a longer post when I saw this article yesterday. It’s not that they aren’t spending enough. They meddle and constantly make the wrong decisions and it’s holding us back

Last edited:

patty123

Hate when people come here and say that the Glazers have let us spend..
They buried the club in debts when they took over and it's still there. They have taken money out that the club makes. They have done shit all for this club, shit all.
They bought a business to make money and are not a charity and lets be honest, they could take out more or even worse, be like liverpools owners, as what the feck have they spent when they dont sell big.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Hired well is a bit of an exaggeration - they mortgaged their future to get Gruden - 2 first round picks, two second rounders and a bunch of cash. Basically meant that, from that season on, they had a coach but a rapidly declining player pool. Was a bit like our signing van Persie - bought SAF one last title but essentially screwed us going forward.
We made the playoffs in two of the following four years, so there was some positive knock on effect from hiring Gruden. Dungy just wasn’t going to get us over the line so an offensive change was absolutely needed. We brought in something like 35 free agents the same summer as Chucky, mostly on offense, so all the hires in the summer of 2002 did pay off for the ultimate prize, something that had never occurred before, & there was residual success in subsequent years. So, the offensive hires initially worked, but you’re correct, it obviously wasn’t ultimately sustainable.

What didn’t happen was a Moneyball scenario where front office wizardry & shrewd frugal personnel acquisitions over a period of time turned us into plucky overachievers; we stacked the defense through many drafts & had a productive hiring spree immediately after bringing Gruden in.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
it kind of shows how little they know about the sport? Pogbas obviously been very good in patches but was never ever going to be leader in his early to mid 20s. Massively distracted and poor in patches.Has looked to be on the way out of the club for 4 of his 5 summers here. Flagship signing. Never built a team around him. I do sympathise with the player to an extent though. How was he going to win with Matic lingard and pereira starting beside him. I doubt thats what the club pitched him before he signed. They will most likely make him the highest paid player in the league to stay. I think that’s going to be another huge expensive mistake.

Maguire looks like finally trusting the scouts even if it is scouting by numbers. Let’s not buy him and send the coach you just signed up to a huge long new deal off into a meltdown and then pay 25% more for him a year later on top of paying off the highest paid coach in the country to leave. Who’s the best English centre back in the league. Oh it’s still that guy but he’s a lot more expensive now. Best get it done anyway. At least he’s the kind of player Fergie would have signed and hopefully a signal that we are returning to the approach that made us successful in the first place.

Sanchez: I called it before he signed. Absolute disaster all round.

Di Maria: did anybody even talk to him before he signed?

lukaku: not the right fit. Worse than useless after he fell out with Pogba. Since been replaced with a loan and a free transfer

Making DDG the highest paid keeper in the world.

giving Woodward with no background or contacts in the game so much power. Not moving him aside at any stage.

letting the stadium fall into disrepair

letting the youth system fall behind on their watch. fair enough they’ve since addressed this.

letting Haaland and Upamecano slip through their fingers when they were in the building and going for peanuts. We are just very weak when it comes to recruitment and way too smug about it too.

the stupid contacts we keep handing out

the dof lie after every poor window preparing to make bids.

Briefing the press that Bruno loses the ball too much for a top team and then going back 6 months later cap in hand and paying more. They tried their best to not get that deal done. They killed the sancho deal and left us without a right winger for yet another season but they may get him a bit cheaper a year later because of a pandemic. they got a bit of luck there and with Bruno and now the narrative is they know what they are at... madness.

They are absolute spoofers and by far the biggest problem at the club is that they get final say on everything.
We have no idea if they’re responsible for any of this, do we? I highly suspect they aren’t.

U99ted

The scouting report:

Skinny
Lacks great physical stature and strength
Lacks mobility
Can’t drive the ball downfield
Gets knocked down easily.
Too many deliberate handballs.

always_hoping

The buck stops with the owners.

Recruitment has been poor since Ferguson retired and they appointed their buddy Woodward to oversee that.

Not signing the targets for the previous two managers and current one plus letting the latest transfer close without signing anyone proves their have zero ambition for winning trophies.

Finally the Glazers haven't invested a penny of their own money in the club since buying it in 2005. They have cost it £1.5billion in that timeframe though. They run the club to the greater interest of the team and it's supporters the sooner they sell up the better.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We have no idea if they’re responsible for any of this, do we? I highly suspect they aren’t.
The stadium?
Letting the team get older under Fergie and not freshening up in any meaningful way post ronaldo
letting the youth team fall behind.
buying players over managers heads
Making certain players untouchable
The contracts
the annual farce that is our summer transfer window
the baffling recruitment strategy
the completely different style of managers they hired after Fergie?
anything Woodward has done to make us look foolish
Leaving gaps in the squad season after season while our rivals invest and move on players we double down on underperforming and injured players until they literally have no resale value.
signing random expensive “star” names instead of properly filling the obvious gaps in the squad with quality.

they are responsible for that

Last edited:

Tiber

May we should hire LVG or The Toxic One. I heard they have been successful