Creator of Player Performance threads

Joel Dinis Castro Pereira
Jun 28, 1996 (20)
Le Locle

1.88 m
Nationality:
Portugal
Switzerland

Joel Castro Pereira joined the club in the summer of 2012 after a successful trial spell with the youth team and his career is very much on the up.

A real character, he captained the Under-21s in James Weir's absence and made 14 appearances during the title-winning campaign, struggling to hide his excitement in the post-match MUTV interview after the victory at Tottenham that clinched top spot.

It is clear the 2015/16 season is one he will look back on fondly. A loan move to Rochdale appeared a natural step in the early part of the campaign and, after initially returning to United, he agreed a deal until early January.

An outstanding debut against Morecambe in the Football League Trophy, when he saved a penalty, helped showcase his potential and he returned to United looking even more confident and commanding.

Joyce was delighted to be able to call upon Pereira again and told ManUtd.com: "He's a great personality and is also a decent keeper. He's a good kid and exactly how you want a Manchester United person to be. It's pleasing for him to come back and play."

Pereira has confidence and ability in abundance and, while he still has areas to work on, the future looks bright for a promising keeper.​

Loublaze

ATLien
Future number one? He's very promising, but he'll be too good to want to remain as a backup keeper in a few seasons. I think he should go out on loan this season to a championship team if possible

khoazany

Another good prospect going down the impossible route of making it at United as a goalkeeper.

prath92

Him and Johnstone and maybe Henderson are probably the only people wishing for Madrid to sign DDG :p

ottosec

Very good prospect, but with the best GK in the world ahead of you, the chances of getting in the first 11 are zero.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
More likely than Dave. He could make it easier if he develops nucely once Dave is off
He's 20 and already playing international football. I doubt he'd wait 4 years tbh.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He's 20 and already playing international football. I doubt he'd wait 4 years tbh.
He is 20 (actually 19) and has only ever played u20 football, hardly a marvelous achievement. Sam Johnstone was doing the exact same thing. The truth is no keeper will ever come through our academy and make it as the number 1 nor will they at other top clubs.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He is 20 (actually 19) and has only ever played u20 football, hardly a marvelous achievement. Sam Johnstone was doing the exact same thing. The truth is no keeper will ever come through our academy and make it as the number 1 nor will they at other top clubs.
Which is why they will leave before mid twenties

m1y2

I think goalkeepers should have a special clause in their loan deals so their parental club could recall them under some circumstances..

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
JOEL PEREIRA TAKING IT "STEP BY STEP"
Manchester United have a good record for producing goalkeepers and Joel Castro Pereira, newly returned to the club after a successful loan spell with Belenenses, can justifiably hope to achieve his goals here.

When you have arguably the world's best keeper in David De Gea and Argentina's no.1 Sergio Romero as deputy, there is no better place to learn your trade but there can still be lofty aspirations of fighting your way into the reckoning. As Pereira stresses, it is all about taking things "step by step" and he has certainly ticked all the boxes so far since arriving from Neuchatel Xamax in Switzerland in 2012.

From a star-struck kid watching the first-teamers in the canteen on his first visit to the Aon Training Complex, he has progressed into one of the most talked-about young goalkeepers in Europe. Jose Mourinho name-checked him at a recent press conference, explaining why the youngster was being recalled to become third choice, with Sam Johnstone departing to Aston Villa for the rest of the season.

Within a matter of days, the 20-year-old was on the bench for the second time (he was also a substitute against Midtjylland last season) as Romero performed in the FA Cup victory over Reading at Old Trafford. He may have enjoyed some action in the Reserves against Manchester City and Liverpool, keeping a clean sheet at Anfield, but is working closely with the senior squad and is thrilled to have that opportunity.

"Jose Mourinho is an incredible manager," Pereira tells ManUtd.com. "He's won everything and it is amazing to train under him. I've always loved him as a coach and also, of course, because he's Portuguese. He has done a lot for Portuguese football and I think that all of Portugal is proud of him.

"It's good to be considered a first-team player now and I'm training every day with the first team and in the changing room with them. I think it's very good for me and my development too.

"I get to work with world-class players as well. We have amazing strikers who are very good finishers so, of course, it is very good for me and I learn a lot every day."

Although born in Switzerland, Pereira is tipped to represent Portugal's senior side one day - he has already played in the Toulon trophy (winning the Goalkeeper of the Tournament award) and been part of the Olympic squad.

"It was the first time I've played in the Portuguese league," he says of his stint at Belenenses. "People only knew me from the international teams so I think it was important that people were talking well about me. People talk about you if you do well and I think it's just football. I just want everyone to have a good image of me as a football player and also as a person. That's it. It was very good experience, I was happy to be there and can only thank the club for what they've done for me."

Pereira can be pleased with his performances during his loan, as was the case during a previous stay away from United with Rochdale. He continues to improve and showed his capabilities against the biggest teams in the Portuguese top flight.

"United were always watching my games," he recounts. "The manager always had feedback from the staff about my performance. [The club's Head of Academy Goalkeeping] Alan Fettis would call me every week about the match at the weekend and ask how it went and how did I do. Everything like that.

"I loved it and it was very good experience for me. I learned a lot and played a lot of games. The club was fantastic - everyone was very nice to me and welcomed me so they were sad too when I left. We played against Benfica, Porto and Sporting [Lisbon] and it was good to play against these clubs in front of big crowds."

The keeper recalls two "special saves" against Benfica and Sporting and feels it was the right time to prove his worth in a top division. Fettis told us how competitive the youngster is, in an interview three years ago, and former Reserves coach Warren Joyce also highlighted the confidence of the shot-stopper. At the end of 2014, when tasked with the difficult task of identifying youngsters to look out for, I included Pereira on my list. Yet did the loan help strengthen that feeling he was ripe for senior football?

"In some ways," he replies. "I think everything in life you have to do step by step. I feel I'm ready for the next step and I'm thinking about now and training well. I want to train hard, prove myself in training and see how it goes. I think it's important to be confident on the pitch because then your team-mates can have confidence in the goalkeeper."

So does he have those ambitions of playing for United and Portugal's first teams? "These are my goals but now I'm just focused on training and doing well," he counters. "I must prove myself each day, going step by step.

"We will see what happens. I prefer to think about now rather than think too far ahead. It's step by step, like I said, and my focus is fully in training, to prove myself to the manager and show him that I have progressed in the last six months."

The evidence would suggest he has certainly matured, and continues to develop at the required rate. Joel Castro Pereira has already been a step away from a first-team appearance this month, in that FA Cup clash with Reading, and can rightly hope for the day he emulates his hero Edwin van der Sar by donning the gloves for the Reds.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...th-manchester-united-keeper-joel-pereira.aspx

Man Utd 4:0 Wigan

lsd

The Oracle
Congrats on his debut .. Looks a big keeper too will be interesting to see what happened to him ..I think he is clearly good enough to play for us but will he wait his chance?

Sylar

Didnt put a foot wrong. Clean sheet. has never ever conceded whilst playing for United, etc.

But seriously, happy for him.

Devil81

Romero will clearly leave in the summer as he's a number one for most clubs across Europe and South America.

He could become back up to De Gea.

Gopher Brown

Congrats on his debut .. Looks a big keeper too will be interesting to see what happened to him ..I think he is clearly good enough to play for us but will he wait his chance?
Hopefully he'll never get a chance here...

m1y2

let him develop like Curtois and sacrifice Johnstone or whoever is next down the pecking order to make no2, If Romero stays loan them out if possible and rotate them as no3, if they ever stand a chance to become no1 here, they need to play regular football..

Name Changed

weso26
He has great potential. I'd give him the number 2 jersey next year, play him in a few games and see how he develops. He seems to be very highly rated in Portugal.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He has great potential. I'd give him the number 2 jersey next year, play him in a few games and see how he develops. He seems to be very highly rated in Portugal.
All we'll see is him not developing. He has potential so get him the 30-40 games a season he needs to develop, not 3-4. What keeper has developed to a top keeper sitting on a bench for years playing a few games?

If we really see him as a potential ddg replacement then get him out on loan playing at a high level like Chelsea did with courtouis.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Injured, Henderson recalled from Grimsby. Gutted for Pereira :( Get well soon!

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The always trustworthy 'O Jogo' says he's been offered a new contract. Makes sense as his current deal expires in 2018.

Special_One

This lad is better than Sam Johnstone, hope he gets minutes next season, and maybe even this.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Future number one if United don't go for Donnarumma
Not seen him this season in the reseves at all, but I didnt see anything from him super special in prior matches to make it obvious hes some super keeper in waiting.

Loublaze

ATLien
Not seen him this season in the reseves at all, but I didnt see anything from him super special in prior matches to make it obvious hes some super keeper in waiting.
He's been injured but he made a big impression on his last two loan spells. I think he's going to have a very bright future

Status
Not open for further replies.