Joel Castro Pereira Portugal flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
How did he play last night?
Made a good save (though I believe it was right at him if memory serves me right) and was very cool under pressure. Played some really nice passes out from the back when being pressed in which you'd usually see 'keepers hoof it forwards.

Looked very nervy coming for crosses on corners but nothing to read too much into.

ovoxo

Made a good save (though I believe it was right at him if memory serves me right) and was very cool under pressure. Played some really nice passes out from the back when being pressed in which you'd usually see 'keepers hoof it forwards.

Looked very nervy coming for crosses on corners but nothing to read too much into.
Thank you! I wonder what will happen with him, surely we won't keep 3 keepers around, he'll barely get any game time ahead of De Gea and Romero.

Special_One

Sounds dumb, but we probably have the best first, second and third goalkeeper in the league.

AndersB

Not to burst the bubble, but he looked extremely insecure, bordering on clueless, when Galaxy were crossing. I saw the same from him in the season finale. Hopefully it will change

Shuriken

Do people still grow physically/height-wise at the age of 21 (just turned)? Not that he's short, but 190+ is preferable for a goalkeeper if you ask me.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Do people still grow physically/height-wise at the age of 21 (just turned)? Not that he's short, but 190+ is preferable for a goalkeeper if you ask me.
It's rare but not unheard of, maybe another half inch is possible but very unlikely.

criticalanalysis

Not to burst the bubble, but he looked extremely insecure, bordering on clueless, when Galaxy were crossing. I saw the same from him in the season finale. Hopefully it will change
Yeah a bit like De Gea when he first came, who has improved massively but even to this day is probably his biggest weakness. Yet De Gea was amazing and had the potential in every other aspect.

Pereira will have to learn quick and improve drastically in terms of the physical goalkeeping side of things, like crosses, catching, being quick/large off the line in 1-on-1s etc.

MUFromLTU

I've grown 2 inches between 21 and 23. It's possible, however unlikely

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Flapped like a pigeon for Burton's goal. Gotta be stronger. It's English football. He'll be targeted by the likes of Andy Carroll unless he learns to use his elbows and knees on crosses.

Sylar

Yeah he panicked for the goal. TBH the whole thing was a shambles. Think he should have just punched it given the way he was running. but saying that, he somehow catches it, and ends up throwing it towards his own goal. If Darmian isnt there he ends up scoring an own goal. Then when it comes out to the player, he didnt exactly make himself big.

Hopefully learns from this, as it wasnt costly thankfully.

Prodigy24

Not been impressed by him in any of his games for the first team to be honest. Read that he was very good when on loan in Portugal but hasn't showed it here, though he has hardly played. A loan to a Championship side would not be bad for him.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He looked like he'd had a massive line of coke before going on. Frenetic isn't the best method of goalkeeping.

Kostov

I know we've seen so little of him, but for whatever reason i haven't been impressed with him even prior to last night's mistake. Jose has been talking him up as a huge talent and all but still, personally i rate Dean Henderson as a better talent. Hope he gets the same chances as Joel here.

barmyarmy

I know we've seen so little of him, but for whatever reason i haven't been impressed with him even prior to last night's mistake. Jose has been talking him up as a huge talent and all but still, personally i rate Dean Henderson as a better talent. Hope he gets the same chances as Joel here.
Didn't watch perieira so much so can't really tell about him. Henderson is definitely progressing well done well for England at juinor level and at loan he looks good.

Kostov

Didn't watch perieira so much so can't really tell about him. Henderson is definitely progressing well done well for England at juinor level and at loan he looks good.
Yes the reports are always positive for Henderson and he's been progressing steadily. Lets hope he keeps it up and gets some chances here. It would be great to have a good enough homegrown English keeper. I had high hopes for Johnstone, but Henderson looks as talented.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Loan him to the Championship. A season there will improve his weaknesses.
Yes. Jose seems to like him and wants to introduce him in games like yesterday's to get experience of playing for United but I think as there's no current vacancy here for him even as back-up he could use a loan where he can play every week and learn to deal with the rigours of English football.

Utdstar01

People going a bit overboard with severity of the mistake? Looked like he dropped it due to a body knocking into him, think it might have been a united player. Yes he needs to be stronger but that'll come.

Acole9

Outstanding
I know Mourinho made a similar substitution in the FA Cup last season but was it really necessary bringing him on last night? I don't think so, unless Romero gets injured or sent off then just keep him in goal, he's a good goalkeeper.

Subs like that belong in testimonials and exhibition matches really. Playing for 20 minutes is not going to benefit his career in anyway. Loan him out in January, put recall clause in and use O'Hara or whoever as third choice.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I know Mourinho made a similar substitution in the FA Cup last season but was it really necessary bringing him on last night? I don't think so, unless Romero gets injured or sent off then just keep him in goal, he's a good goalkeeper.

Subs like that belong in testimonials and exhibition matches really. Playing for 20 minutes is not going to benefit his career in anyway. Loan him out in January, put recall clause in and use O'Hara or whoever as third choice.
Its not necessary , but it is good for the kid experience. It was the perfect opportunity and sends a message to the U-21 that they will get their opportunity even if its as difficult as been a 3rd choice keeper.

marlowe78

It's not so much the mistake itself, it's the fact that he's been given very little playing time in the first team and has looked less than comfortable in most/all of the time he's played. I try to be patient with youth players but I just don't see the mojo from him.

JMack1234

He's a very young 'keeper but that was actually one of the biggest howlers i've seen for a long time at OT, for the record, there's nothing i've seen of him (and i've only seen him in the Palace game and yesterday) to suggest he'll be good enough to be our number 1 or be a top level goalkeeper.

In a way it's moot really DDG is only 26 and if god smiles on us and we manage to keep him he'll be our number 1 for 10 years maybe longer.

Name Changed

weso26
Terrible mistake. I really rate him personally. I hope Mourinho doesn't hold it against him too much.

dogwithabone

Having witnessed DDG's early days I think it's far too soon to write off a young, flapping keeper.

Arka_BleedingRed

Wow! People writing off the guy on the basis of a few minutes and a howler! He is a kid, a talented one at that. Been generally good during the few short stints he has received, but he probably needs a good 2 year loan in the English league. Needs to work on his crosses, handling of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.