Joey Barton - ex manager - wannabe podcaster

Dean60

Supports
Everton
People hate Barton because he hates people (and tries to profit off it). It's not a circle. If he could stop hating, harassing, harming people, maybe nobody would fantasize about harming him.

Not tolerating intolerance is not intolerance, and it's worrisome it has to be reiterated in 2024.
Your argument is a contradiction, requires doublethink to accept and will still be false in the year 20240. I wonder what levels of enlightenment will make of current western liberal agenda in 2100? I suspect it won’t be judged well.

You’re either tolerant or you’re not. We aren’t tolerant. Good reasons for being so in a lot of cases. So what are you left with? “Good” or “bad” intolerance.

If your “good” intolerance starts reaching levels where hating, cancelling people’s opinions, arresting them for posting online. Your media / films / adverts are riddled with propaganda, your rewriting books, and ridiculously restricting words on commentary etc then I’m not sure your “good” intentions are quite working out.

Just look on here: people questioning Barton’s dna, multiple people wishing violence, the hate is visceral, wanting him silenced, it’s a lot easier to do all that than challenge the arguments(probably easy in most cases). And you call that tolerance? Same old hate different package.

Last edited:

thisisnottaken1

People hate Barton because he hates people (and tries to profit off it). It's not a circle. If he could stop hating, harassing, harming people, maybe nobody would fantasize about harming him.

Not tolerating intolerance is not intolerance, and it's worrisome it has to be reiterated in 2024.
Very well said. People need to learn about the paradox of tolerance.

Pickle85

Your argument is a contradiction, requires doublethink to accept and will still be false in the year 20240. I wonder what levels of enlightenment will make of current western liberal agenda in 2100? I suspect it won’t be judged well.

You’re either tolerant or you’re not. We aren’t tolerant. Good reasons for being so in a lot of cases. So what are you left with? “Good” or “bad” intolerance.

If your “good” intolerance starts reaching levels where hating, cancelling people’s opinions, arresting them for posting online. Your media / films / adverts are riddled with propaganda, your rewriting books, and ridiculously restricting words on commentary etc then I’m not sure your “good” intentions are quite working out.

Just look on here: people questioning Barton’s dna, multiple people wishing violence, the hate is visceral, wanting him silenced, it’s a lot easier to do all that than challenge the arguments(probably easy in most cases). And you call that tolerance? Same old hate different package.
What arguments is barton making and, as a follow up, why do you see them as difficult to challenge?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Indeed, I really hate people who are intolerant of intolerance.

Bright_Eyes

Wanting someone who is being a shitty human to stfu is a good thing. To have a good society, you need to not tolerate people spouting hate. "Let's decapitate a nazi/misogynist/racist" etc I don't really think classes as hate speech in the same way as what Barton is doing.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

"The paradox of tolerance states that if a society's practice of tolerance is inclusive of the intolerant, intolerance will ultimately dominate, eliminating the tolerant and the practice of tolerance with them."

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
"The paradox of tolerance states that if a society's practice of tolerance is inclusive of the intolerant, intolerance will ultimately dominate, eliminating the tolerant and the practice of tolerance with them."
That just sounds like woke culture gone mad.

You can't even put out a cigar in another person's eye without the liberal elite criticising you these days.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
You guys are just bitter that Barton cost united a league title.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Do you think free speech should be absolute and anyone can say absolutely anything?