John Aston Jr.

VJ1762

So, I was randomly reading about the 1968 european cup final on wikipedia and I was surprised that this guy was named as the Man of the match. I thought one of Charlton or Best would have been named as the Man of the match.

Wikipedia has only a couple of lines about this guy. He came through our youth academy and was apparently a left winger. So, do older members know what kind of player he was? Was he very talented or was he like a solid squad player? Just curious.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Like most wide-men frustratingly inconsistent but everything came together for him on that night as he played like a man possessed, style wise a conventional left-winger who put the ball past his man then beat them for pace on the inside or outside and he didn't need to break his stride to put a dangerous cross in.

VJ1762

Like most wide-men frustratingly inconsistent but everything came together for him on that night as he played like a man possessed, style wise a conventional left-winger who put the ball past his man then beat them for pace on the inside or outside and he didn't need to break his stride to put a dangerous cross in.
Wow, you look like you watched the 1968 european cup final live. How old are you anyway?
So, would a Daniel James be an apt comparison for him?

Class of 63

Sourness
Wow, you look like you watched the 1968 european cup final live. How old are you anyway?
I vaguely remember watching it with my Dad and what seemed like half the street when I was 5 but up until a few years ago when MUTV showed the whole match i'd only ever seen extended highlights, but i'd seen him 'live' several times years later when he was playing for Luton Town against United.

No i'd say a shorter quicker version of Lee Sharpe

VJ1762

I vaguely remember watching it with my Dad and what seemed like half the street when I was 5 but up until a few years ago when MUTV showed the whole match i'd only ever seen extended highlights, but i'd seen him 'live' several times years later when he was playing for Luton Town against United.

No i'd say a shorter quicker version of Lee Sharpe
Wow, you have really seen everything, huh? Can't even imagine what it would have been like to see the scousers win everything left, right and centre while we were getting relegated and all. They have only just been a really good team for the past couple of years and I already can't stand their fans at work.

I don't know much about Lee sharpe tbh. Except a crazy story about how he supposedly broke up with his girlfriend because SAF gave him the hairdryer.

Señor Alec Thompson

Supports
cufc
The whole game should still be on youtube. I watched it a couple of years ago with my dad who is a big united fan.

He was certainly the best player as I remember. Looked quick and lively in the first half especially, I was a bit surprised too as before watching I hadn't heard of him. Although I think they mention on the commentary that he had taken some criticism that season.

Other points I remember about the final were, the "attack, attack, attack" chant being older than I thought.

Eusebio was obviously very good, also ran off to retrieve the ball after one of his team mates kicked it away in frustration.

Charlton knocks it about left or right foot, inside or outside of the boot with ease.

I was also surprised with the tackling. In the 60s I had expected lots of bad fouls going unpunished. The ref actually gave freekicks more or less where I would. The difference was it took a few bad fouls to pick up a booking.

Anyway, well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Reactions: roonster09

DoctorDark

Johnny Aston was a good player, as others have said a conventional winger. Aston was always in the shadow of his more illustrious teammates and the signing of Willie Morgan pretty much consigned him to the bench.

However that night at Wembley he was a man possessed. He never reached such heights ever again but was definitely Man of the Match.

I was fortunate to be there that night, even though tickets were expensive. 50p no less (ten shillings in old money)

Reactions: golden_blunder

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He was good. His crosses were way better than a lot of the dross we see today (not just from United) but he rarely set the world alight. For me, he was one of those who worked hard but did not have the "natural talent" of a George Best but you could never accuse him of not giving his all...

Denis' cuff

He was good. His crosses were way better than a lot of the dross we see today (not just from United) but he rarely set the world alight. For me, he was one of those who worked hard but did not have the "natural talent" of a George Best but you could never accuse him of not giving his all...
Largely this. Not sure about him being “good” though. His orthodox style definitely complimented his more illustrious team mates but comparisons with Lee Sharpe elsewhere, are laughable. He made Ashley Young look dynamic, never mind Lee Sharpe.

Was very much a scapegoat and the more cynical of us assumed he was in the side with a little help from one of the senior coaches J. Aston Snr. Yes, he did suffer to some degree as being part of the same forward line as Law, Best and Charlton but it’s fair to say, that never bothered David Herd, a superb, orthodox leader of the forward line alongside the King. A real touch line hugger, Aston would receive the ball and had pace enough to carry the ball into threatening positions... until he met the opposing fullback, at which point he would freeze like the proverbial rabbit in the headlights. Quite honestly, he was a bit of a joke amongst regular match goers but feck me, he had a stormer in that final. We can only assume that the Benfica rb had cramp. The only time I ever saw him have a decent game and thank God he picked his moment. It shocked us all.

Class of 63

Sourness
Largely this. Not sure about him being “good” though. His orthodox style definitely complimented his more illustrious team mates but comparisons with Lee Sharpe elsewhere, are laughable. He made Ashley Young look dynamic, never mind Lee Sharpe.
Well pardon fecking me whilst half asleep trying to think of a player for comparison, and who a Manchester United fan may have been aware of

Last edited:

simplyared

He was pretty rubbish tbh. I've never known a utd player who got so much stick from the crowd as he did. They used to boo him when he got the ball. Many fans seriously believed he was in the team due to his old fella being on the coaching staff. With all that said that unforgetable evening in the spring of 68 (I was there btw) he surprised us all and put in an incredible performance. However to give him motm was over the top. Bestie was the best player on the field that night.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If you go back to watch the final, the commentators mention how much abuse he was getting from the United fans before said performance throughout the season.

So, as much as people like to paint that moaning about your players is a modern-day, spoilt fan thing, it isn't.

As for the player himself, I've only seen him a few times in what games from that era I could find. He always looked quite good to me but, again, I'm only going off a few games.
Johnny Aston was a good player, as others have said a conventional winger. Aston was always in the shadow of his more illustrious teammates and the signing of Willie Morgan pretty much consigned him to the bench.

However that night at Wembley he was a man possessed. He never reached such heights ever again but was definitely Man of the Match.

I was fortunate to be there that night, even though tickets were expensive. 50p no less (ten shillings in old money)
Awesome!

Yagami

Good post resistant
He was pretty rubbish tbh. I've never known a utd player who got so much stick from the crowd as he did. They used to boo him when he got the ball. Many fans seriously believed he was in the team due to his old fella being on the coaching staff. With all that said that unforgetable evening in the spring of 68 (I was there btw) he surprised us all and put in an incredible performance. However to give him motm was over the top. Bestie was the best player on the field that night.
Have to disagree there, mate.

Best was good, but very wasteful that night. You could tell he was desperate for a goal himself which caused him to make too many greedy decisions.

For me, the best players on the pitch were Aston Jr, Charlton, Eusebio and Coluna I think it was.

simplyared

Have to disagree there, mate.

Best was good, but very wasteful that night. You could tell he was desperate for a goal himself which caused him to make too many greedy decisions.

For me, the best players on the pitch were Aston Jr, Charlton, Eusebio and Coluna I think it was.
Eusebio never came up to the standard we were used to seeing. In fact he should have decided the game when he only had Stepney to beat but blasted it straight at the keeper. I remember when he came free my heart stopped as it did with every utd fan in the stadium. I can agree Best took on one too many on certain occasions, but he was buzzing and he was causing them all kinds of problems. His goal was sheer poetry in motion. One of my all time favourites.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Eusebio never came up to the standard we were used to seeing. In fact he should have decided the game when he only had Stepney to beat but blasted it straight at the keeper. I remember when he came free my heart stopped as it did with every utd fan in the stadium. I can agree Best took on one too many on certain occasions, but he was buzzing and he was causing them all kinds of problems. His goal was sheer poetry in motion. One of my all time favourites.
I can see why that'd bring people to not rate his performance as high as me then! I say that because I've hardly seen any of Eusebio. In fact, that's the only full game I've seen of him, and, from memory, he was still one of the best players on a pitch that was filled with greats. I couldn't help but admire him and Coluna.

Aside from his football, the fact that he prioritised fair play was amazing in the game, too. When we were leading, his teammates were throwing strops and he was apologising on there behalf, going and fetching the ball after they kicked it away for our set pieces, and, when we had a player down in our own box and Benfica were playing on, he had actually stopped to check on the injured player when he could've easily have taken advantage of the situation.

As for Best, I completely agree that he was on fire, and his goal was sublime, so I don't mean to downplay his importance in the win as he was vital, but I just found Aston Jr and Charlton to be our best players on the day.

simplyared

I can see why that'd bring people to not rate his performance as high as me then! I say that because I've hardly seen any of Eusebio. In fact, that's the only full game I've seen of him, and, from memory, he was still one of the best players on a pitch that was filled with greats. I couldn't help but admire him and Coluna.

Aside from his football, the fact that he prioritised fair play was amazing in the game, too. When we were leading, his teammates were throwing strops and he was apologising on there behalf, going and fetching the ball after they kicked it away for our set pieces, and, when we had a player down in our own box and Benfica were playing on, he had actually stopped to check on the injured player when he could've easily have taken advantage of the situation.

As for Best, I completely agree that he was on fire, and his goal was sublime, so I don't mean to downplay his importance in the win as he was vital, but I just found Aston Jr and Charlton to be our best players on the day.
Sounds like we're on the same page. Thanks for your comments. Appreciated!

Cockney Phil

It was pretty tense for 90 minutes. I don’t recall Bestie or any of them having a good game. Benfica kept kicking Bestie off the ball especially in the first half. They were still seething from the El Beatle game. Bobby scored the flick header but Stepney kept us in the game with a save from Eusebio. It was extra time that seemed to fire us into a higher gear. Aston found more freedom on the wing and Bestie ran around their goalie.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Sounds like we're on the same page. Thanks for your comments. Appreciated!
Thanks for yours, too! I always love hearing about our classic teams from those who actually watched them live. :)
It was pretty tense for 90 minutes. I don’t recall Bestie or any of them having a good game. Benfica kept kicking Bestie off the ball especially in the first half. They were still seething from the El Beatle game. Bobby scored the flick header but Stepney kept us in the game with a save from Eusebio. It was extra time that seemed to fire us into a higher gear. Aston found more freedom on the wing and Bestie ran around their goalie.
I remember at least Best, Charlton and Aston Jr playing well from when I watched it a while back on YouTube.

I definitely agree that it was in extra time where we went up a gear and just outplayed them. Before that, it was quite even with them dominating possession if I recall correctly.

Cockney Phil

Thanks for yours, too! I always love hearing about our classic teams from those who actually watched them live. :)

I remember at least Best, Charlton and Aston Jr playing well from when I watched it a while back on YouTube.

I definitely agree that it was in extra time where we went up a gear and just outplayed them. Before that, it was quite even with them dominating possession if I recall correctly.
Fair enough it’s all sweet memories.

We got colour TV that year and it was the first game I saw in the blue shirts - I was 12 but went to most home games in Warwick Road kids area. We never had much money for away games. I remembered being very tense all day and in the evening all of Manchester and the country was watching. My parents wanted it for Matt, I wanted Bobby to score - he was my hero even more than Bestie. I had never seen him head a ball - I jumped up and house went crazy. It all went very quiet with the Eusebio shot - I can still feel it - we all thought he was a truly beautiful footballer with sublime skills.

Later I got given a vhs copy of the full game when I went to Eric’s - return of the Magnificent 7 - match. Haven’t seen it for years so living on memories. Nice thread.

Fitchett

He played an absolute stormer in that European Cup Final, easily his best match for us. He destroyed Benfica's right back time and time again. The rest of the time, to be brutally honest, he was mainly poor. He had pace, used to run quickly up to a defender, then dance on the spot for a few seconds, like Valencia used to do, then invariably lose the ball or overhit a cross. He was definitely the target for verbal abuse from the Old Trafford crowd. I remember several times there were loud chants of "Aston's got to go". Many believed that he was only on the team because his father was one of the club's coaches. He left United after a few seasons in and out of the 1st team and joined Luton Town, where he played for a few seasons.

Mal donaghy

About this thread ,I see it like this if you support a club you learn your history, by reading the OP it's clear hes never watched the full 68 cup final on any format, it astounds me. I was born mid seventies and lived of past glories and the odd cup win growing up in the 80s, would watch videos of past trophies won , 1963,1968,1977 would play them over and over as our season was over in January more often than not in the 80s, my dad would tell me about the babes ,and the trinity, and players like Aston and Dunne and crerand. My father has passed, but I have passed the flame on to my 4 boys and I teach them all about our history pre fergie, and I make sure each one can name the lads who passed in Munich, so they are always remembered. It's our religion, I'm sure I'm not alone, the religion goes on and on , it's just a shame we will be looking back in the past a lot more cause we aren't winning any titles anytime soon!!.
Sort of lost my way there, but I urge anyone to watch it that hasn't,the 68 final Aston was amazing , looks like a modern player, overlaps crossing he had a blinder.

simplyared

About this thread ,I see it like this if you support a club you learn your history, by reading the OP it's clear hes never watched the full 68 cup final on any format, it astounds me. I was born mid seventies and lived of past glories and the odd cup win growing up in the 80s, would watch videos of past trophies won , 1963,1968,1977 would play them over and over as our season was over in January more often than not in the 80s, my dad would tell me about the babes ,and the trinity, and players like Aston and Dunne and crerand. My father has passed, but I have passed the flame on to my 4 boys and I teach them all about our history pre fergie, and I make sure each one can name the lads who passed in Munich, so they are always remembered. It's our religion, I'm sure I'm not alone, the religion goes on and on , it's just a shame we will be looking back in the past a lot more cause we aren't winning any titles anytime soon!!.
Sort of lost my way there, but I urge anyone to watch it that hasn't,the 68 final Aston was amazing , looks like a modern player, overlaps crossing he had a blinder.
With all respect, I was at the game and since watched it numerous times on the TV. You mention 1963, the FA Cup final which we won against Leicester. Glad you mentioned Paddy Crerarand. Yes he lacked pace but in that FA Cup final he was majestic. One of the finest passers of a ball You'd ever see. You mention Dunne and I take it you mean our left back Tony and not our keeper Pat. When talking about our past LB's Denis Irwin always gets a mention and never Tony Dunne. You'd find it difficult to find a full back in todays game who could match the speed of Tony Dunne. A truly modern day fullback and a fantastic servant for our club. However to mention Aston in the same company as the above named I'm afraid doesn't sit right with me. Johnny Aston overwhelmed us all in that European Cup Final. Yes he chose the right day to shine definately but to say he was the best player on that field that memorable night, I'm afraid is over the top. Looking at Aston as a footballer, truth is most of the fans pre match were uncomfortable with him being on the team sheet that day for such a big game. He was unpopular with the fans which was based on a string of dire performances for the club previously. People truly believed he was only in the team because his old fella was on the coaching staff. The fans used to boo when his name was announced over the loudspeekers prior to kick off at OT. Yes he had pace which of course is an advantage when you're a winger but apart from that he was just kick and run. That night it worked for him but he never came anywhere near that level again and not long after that he was shipped off to Luton Town.

Bestietom

I was 17 then and I remember Aston that night. He opened my eyes and mouth with some of his play.

Moriarty

Aston was brilliant against Benfica at Wembley but like @simplyared says, he was never a fan favourite. Mind you, he broke his leg at Maine Road at the start of the following season and that set him back a ways. As for Tony Dunne, great player, always reliable and wouldn't look out of place in a 2019 side.We had a very good full back partnership with Dunne and a young Bobby Noble but Noble's career was ended in a car crash and Shay Brennan came in at right back.

Mal donaghy

With all respect, I was at the game and since watched it numerous times on the TV. You mention 1963, the FA Cup final which we won against Leicester. Glad you mentioned Paddy Crerarand. Yes he lacked pace but in that FA Cup final he was majestic. One of the finest passers of a ball You'd ever see. You mention Dunne and I take it you mean our left back Tony and not our keeper Pat. When talking about our past LB's Denis Irwin always gets a mention and never Tony Dunne. You'd find it difficult to find a full back in todays game who could match the speed of Tony Dunne. A truly modern day fullback and a fantastic servant for our club. However to mention Aston in the same company as the above named I'm afraid doesn't sit right with me. Johnny Aston overwhelmed us all in that European Cup Final. Yes he chose the right day to shine definately but to say he was the best player on that field that memorable night, I'm afraid is over the top. Looking at Aston as a footballer, truth is most of the fans pre match were uncomfortable with him being on the team sheet that day for such a big game. He was unpopular with the fans which was based on a string of dire performances for the club previously. People truly believed he was only in the team because his old fella was on the coaching staff. The fans used to boo when his name was announced over the loudspeekers prior to kick off at OT. Yes he had pace which of course is an advantage when you're a winger but apart from that he was just kick and run. That night it worked for him but he never came anywhere near that level again and not long after that he was shipped off to Luton Town.
Thanks for that, I tip my hat to you sir, I take it you were match going back in the day like my old fella, and yes I meant Tony Dunne our left back , as a kid he presented me my M,O,M trophy at a knights of st Columbia, football tournament back in 86, when I was 12.
Yep my dad always made the comparison saying Irwin was our best full back since dunne. as you can imagine i used to get all starry eyed, asking my dad about law best charlton Edward's, dads hero, and another hero of dads was pat crerand my dad used to say was the heartbeat of the team in the law best charlton era, obviously I never used to ask so much about aston, but it's good to hear another reds take on him as a player, you seen him play in the flesh I take it ? So that was interesting to hear, cause in that final he was outstanding. Didnt see much footage of just him as a player , but I do like hearing about our history, that's why this club is special , now the next time they play the 68 cup final on mutv, ile watch with renewed interest, as to his performance!
Beleive it or not I'd never hear my dad say a bad word about our past players maybe he romanticized about the 50s 60s , even way back to player before my dad was born, players like billy meredith, Johnny Carey, the pre babe players , I grew up thinking they could walk on water!! Again thanks for the insight, its interesting to hear.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

According to the inflation rate calculator, 50p in 68 works out at 8.52 in 2018
Not bad for a cup final eh

simplyared

So @Mal donaghy your dad got to the see the Munich team. I can't really comment on those players except Sir Bobby of course, Bill Foulkes and Harry Gregg. Would have loved to have seen Duncan Edwards but I was only 6 at the time and my dad said I was too young to go to OT. He used do take my older brother who was 4 yrs my senior.
Like yourself I was born with utd in my blood which I've passed on to my kids. As you say you tend to go back to the glory days when the results aren't coming and the play non entertaining. I know his name crops up everytime us oldies reminiss about the Busby era, but there will never be another player who had the natural skills of Best and I'm so grateful I got the opportunity to see him from his debut through to that memorable night at Wembley 68.Thanks!

Full bodied red

Unlike the mega-millionaires of today, in those days even our ' stars ' were never overly rich and when they retired they quickly ' vanished ' from the media.

In John Aston's case, after his MOTM performance against Benfica and then a decent career at Luton, there was no fortune or Giggs-like ownership of luxury hotels to provide an income for himself and his family when he finally retired.

Instead, he could be found most days behind the counter of his small Pet Shop in Audenshaw or working a market stall selling pet food in, I think it was, Ashton.

Having said that, he was an honest player and although his injury basically killed what might have been a great career with us, he had the good fortune to have probably his best ever match for us in a European Cup Final watched on TV by millions around Europe at a time when televised football was extremely rare.

No idea where he is these days, but I hope he is safe and healthy and I wish him well.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman

Was very much a scapegoat and the more cynical of us assumed he was in the side with a little help from one of the senior coaches J. Aston Snr. Yes, he did suffer to some degree as being part of the same forward line as Law, Best and Charlton but it’s fair to say, that never bothered David Herd, a superb, orthodox leader of the forward line alongside the King. A real touch line hugger, Aston would receive the ball and had pace enough to carry the ball into threatening positions... until he met the opposing fullback, at which point he would freeze like the proverbial rabbit in the headlights. Quite honestly, he was a bit of a joke amongst regular match goers but feck me, he had a stormer in that final. We can only assume that the Benfica rb had cramp. The only time I ever saw him have a decent game and thank God he picked his moment. It shocked us all.
:lol: Nice one.

Full bodied red

We can only assume that the Benfica rb had cramp.

That's so funny.

Didn't Benfica have two ' regular ' right backs in those days, and for the final they chose the younger, huge, great hulk of man who turned even slower than a 250,000 ton oil tanker rather than the 30-odd year old Portuguest NT regular.

My match programme ( which I donated to an auction quite a few years ago so I can't check ) had a Cavem and a Calisto as RB, but I don't remember which was which.

Whichever one it was, we got lucky because he was perfect for John Aston's pace and limited dribbling skills.

Crashoutcassius

Excellent

Moriarty

Nobby followed him around the pitch that night, just like he did for England two years earlier. He pretty much neutralized the great man but when he did evade him, he smacked the bar with a thumping shot. I just about wet my pants when he bore down on our goal but Stepney was magnificent. My abiding memory of that night is the players sitting on the pitch waiting for extra time as Matt encouraged them. That and the incredible noise. Wembley reverberated with it. Even my dad, a normally conservative individual, was hoarse at the end.

DoctorDark

Nobby followed him around the pitch that night, just like he did for England two years earlier. He pretty much neutralized the great man but when he did evade him, he smacked the bar with a thumping shot. I just about wet my pants when he bore down on our goal but Stepney was magnificent. My abiding memory of that night is the players sitting on the pitch waiting for extra time as Matt encouraged them. That and the incredible noise. Wembley reverberated with it. Even my dad, a normally conservative individual, was hoarse at the end.
Nice memory

Whilst my recollection of the football is fading. My memories of the day is still sharp. It was an incredibly hot evening for May and everyone was dehydrated. The journey down to London was also memorable. The M6 had yet to be completed and around Birmingham the coach went through towns and suburbs between stretches of motorway.

There were people on the streets outside businesses waving at the supporters coaches as we passed through. Hard to believe today. I can recall passing one factory where they had made a huge banner which read “Manchester United You Have No Chance! You Need Jeff Astle!” As Denis was laid up in a hospital bed. They were partly correct

Denis' cuff

Nobby had him in his pocket, mate. As per.

Denis' cuff

Much of that took me back a bit. The heart-stopping moment Eusebio hit the bar (we knew what he could do) but especially “the noise”. It seems like we had the whole stadium to ourselves and felt like 100,000 reds rocking the place.
I’ll never forget the old fella joining in with “we shall not be moved”. He never bothered collecting tokens like me and my mate did. Talk about lucky, though. My mates parents had just divorced and his dad worked for BEA in London. He suddenly appeared and told his lad he was going to Majorca with him. Guess who got lucky with the token sheet? He’d paid his dues after watching since the 40s though.

All three wins have been incredibly dramatic but that one tops them all for me. Being the first English winners 10 years after the crash... who else but George breaking what seemed like a deadlock when it seemed it could go either way.

Utdstar01

Just realised that he doesn't even show any joy or celebrate hardly at all after we go ahead. Nor at 3-1 or 4-1. Very strange.

Denis' cuff

The whole game should still be on youtube. I watched it a couple of years ago with my dad who is a big united fan.

He was certainly the best player as I remember. Looked quick and lively in the first half especially, I was a bit surprised too as before watching I hadn't heard of him. Although I think they mention on the commentary that he had taken some criticism that season.

Other points I remember about the final were, the "attack, attack, attack" chant being older than I thought.

Eusebio was obviously very good, also ran off to retrieve the ball after one of his team mates kicked it away in frustration.

Charlton knocks it about left or right foot, inside or outside of the boot with ease.

I was also surprised with the tackling. In the 60s I had expected lots of bad fouls going unpunished. The ref actually gave freekicks more or less where I would. The difference was it took a few bad fouls to pick up a booking.

Anyway, well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.
wouldn’t argue he was the best player on the night. They were concentrating on Best and Charlton having been ruined by both in the past. I reckon Astons old fella, who, of course, was on the coaching staff , gave him extra coaching and pep talk which resulted in him playing the game of his life. Tbf, his orthodoxy did complement more gifted players and he was a real touch line hugger, which helped spread the play but really, he was routinely bobbins.

Put it this way, as a regular at OT I never once remember his name being chanted until that night at Wembley.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Dont remember the game that well but I do remember it well enough to know Aston was very good. My main memory is that Best got the crucial goal.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
“I laid plans for coping with Best and Charlton and the other stars,” said Benfica manager Otto Gloria afterwards, “but nobody warned me about this boy Aston.“