John Barnes: "...keeping players happy, I think it’s a recipe for disaster."

Web of Bissaka

Good interview.

Basically,
  • United players need to have better attitude.
  • They have to perform all the time (not just when everything going well and Mourinho is gone).
  • The manager has to be allowed to shout at you.
  • Cub and fans need to give the manager power to take every decision and keep the focus off players.
  • They (Pep and Klopp) are powerful managers.
  • They don’t have to keep the players happy – the players have to keep them happy.
  • If Club's first priority is to keep players happy = recipe for disaster.
  • Ole should be allowed to shout at players.
  • Stop blaming manager and put more pressures on players = consistency which Liv and City showed.
https://www.thesportreview.com/2019/05/man-united-news-john-barnes-solskjaer/

Maybe few bias here and there, but generally that's very fair and have strong points.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
fecking bang on, the players should be keeping the management happy not the other way round, gaffer ain't happy, you are on the bench. Gaffer still ain't happy, you are out of the door.

Eddy_JukeZ

I agree, but i would hope Barnes isn't indirectly implying that Jose was hard done by.

In Rainbows

If that's the case why is it that Fergie didn't use a one size fits all attitude in regards to handling his players egos?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Barnes is correct, but there's a fine line between being a respectful manager or just being an asshole for very little reason.

The opposition players first and foremost like/respect their managers as they feel like they're supported. So far I haven't seen anything from the players to suggest they've down tooled under Ole.

People have short memories and forget that when Liverpool / City received shock results in their first few seasons, they remained positive and didn't throw the team under the bus - Jose did and it cost him.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
If that's the case why is it that Fergie didn't use a one size fits all attitude in regards to handling his players egos?
Because they were performing on the pitch? As soon as that ego outweighed the positives on the pitch then he sold them (Keane, Becks etc?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Fergie was slightly more lenient with the like of Ronnie and Eric, but they were genuine world class players who earned his trust my preforming week in week out on the pitch.

Barnes is spot on, the players should be worried about keeping the manager happy and not the other way around.

In Rainbows

Because they were performing on the pitch? As soon as that ego outweighed the positives on the pitch then he sold them (Keane, Becks etc?
In other words, Fergie catered to certain players more than others. This was common knowledge in regards to Ronaldo.

Idk, it just seems absolutely ridiculous to think that man management isn't a thing. Nobody said you have to bend over backwards, but come on. Clear it's not how Barnes describes it. And besides, the players were getting most of the fault with Ole here. It's strange to somehow flip the story to "start blaming the players, not the manager." Literally what's been happening this entire time.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Unfortunately, Ole has so far shown that he’s only really of any use as a cheerleader. No player at this level is going to take the former manager of Cardiff and Molde seriously when things are going wrong and he’s shouting at them.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think it depended a lot on the player's attitude. He'd give Ronaldo a lot of leeway but then Ronaldo's drive and determination was never in any doubt.

He'd give Rooney some leeway but wasn't afraid to punish or drop him, or criticise him publicly if his standards slipped.

The key is he had the respect of the players. I can't think of any examples of a player not keeping in line and surviving here under him.

I remember Rio saying you'd be scared to walk past his office if the door was open because it meant he was waiting for someone to walk past so he could call them in...and this is Rio Ferdinand who's ego could rival anyone at the club currently.

It's a fairly simple thing but having an air of authority is really important when you're dealing with a group of people with egos, some of who still act like they're in school.

When you've got the club offering players you don't want new contracts and refusing to sign players you ask for, you obviously have no authority, and through no real fault of your own. That's what has to change for Ole to have any chance. At the moment you get the impression that someone like Pogba could just walk up to the manager and slap him in the face, and the result would be the manager leaving the club.

BigRon1985

Blimey! It's not often I agree with an ex-Liverpool player but Barnes has nailed it - the tail doesn't wag the dog! Solskjaer's biggest mistake and the one which will bring him down is his mateyness with the players. A good manager should be respected not liked and keep his distance from the staff. Calling players by their nicknames in press conferences makes me cringe.:mad:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There's already evidence some of those things are taking place. Some of our players have gotten pelters in recent weeks, even the ones that were deemed above board. It's good to see .
Barnes is 100% right.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I've made similar arguments on here before and people have been very sensitive about "old school" way of dealing with players. Because today we have a new special generation, or something..

Glad not everyone thinks so.

Smores

Think everyone agrees really but these type of threads go slightly into people going back on arguments they made against Jose so people get very sensitive

I think the fans made it clear to the players they back them first, just like the fans backed Martial despite his lazines.

Nanotron

Missing the point completely. No matter which way he treated them they all knew fergie was the person you had to please which is exactly what kloop and pep have.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
In other words, Fergie catered to certain players more than others. This was common knowledge in regards to Ronaldo.

Idk, it just seems absolutely ridiculous to think that man management isn't a thing. Nobody said you have to bend over backwards, but come on. Clear it's not how Barnes describes it. And besides, the players were getting most of the fault with Ole here. It's strange to somehow flip the story to "start blaming the players, not the manager." Literally what's been happening this entire time.
Yes, but they were making him happy, so he was more than accommodating to the egos, understandably.

But as soon as that player stopped performing (not making him happy) they were gone, so what Barnes is saying is completely correct and what SAF lived by, you make him happy he'll make you happy.

passing-wind

I've said this, does Solskjaer have the pedigree to command respect ? He's not got the credentials managerially and while Jose obviously does he's terrible with people overall. Egotistical, prideful and self centred.

Paul_Scholes18

If happy players perform better then it is good to make them happy. If some perform better being angry and upset then try to push them into those states or use them when they are in those states (angry Rooney was always the best one. How LVG treated him playing him all the time even after all crap performances was just terrible). Some might be better feeling safe and playing a lot (Lindelöf and Shaw I think would suit that for us).
Others might get pushed more being dropped and benched.

A good manager would try to figure out how different players respond to different things. Although a good manager should also be able to be himself to perform at his best. I rather have an overall positive manager than a negative one.

A strong manager do not mind being attacked in public and can take it to protect his players. In private though you need to tell the players how you want them to play and if they are not trying hard enough push or drop them.

Last edited:

Champagne Football

I've said this, does Solskjaer have the pedigree to command respect ? He's not got the credentials managerially and while Jose obviously does he's terrible with people overall. Egotistical, prideful and self centred.
Whether he does or not remains to be seen. But the rebuild he and Phelan will do this summer is exactly what is needed. Get rid of pampered divas and bring in young hungry mostly British super kids who understand what it means to play for Utd, and who will likely want to spend their whole career here.

Jib

We aren't in the 70-80-90s anymore...

If you can't manage the egos, you are a dinosaur and you'll be jobless because the "hard way" doesn't work anymore...

Look at Mourinho, Van Gaal, Capello...

Zlatattack

Even if Ole turns out to be a shit manager, we still need to move on any players in our dressing room who dissent.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Those asking if Ole demands respect... if we the fan base give him (a club legend) our full backing, of course he will have respect. Because the players (who we know aren’t good enough) will have to face his reckoning.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Forget the players. Fans dont even respect the manager. Those players read this forum and thinka we are behind them.

At least their agent will trawl fans forum to see how the fans perceived their client and their bargaining power

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
fecking bang on, the players should be keeping the management happy not the other way round, gaffer ain't happy, you are on the bench. Gaffer still ain't happy, you are out of the door.
Totally correct.
Player power is a disease.
Unless it is treated, ideally by prevention, it will only get worse.
Player power is never evident when you are winning and things are going well.
But when you are loosing and things are going badly, it rears its ugly head and becomes ever more corrosive and ever more difficult to stop.
Player power has no part in a team sport. Each individual has a role within that team.
As soon as an individual stops contributing to the team they must be immediately replaced.
The sooner our players realise that the better.

Infra-red

Those asking if Ole demands respect... if we the fan base give him (a club legend) our full backing, of course he will have respect. Because the players (who we know aren’t good enough) will have to face his reckoning.
This was repeated on here numerous times during Mourinho's tenure (ie the manager has to be more important than the players, or ill-discipline runs riot). However, many on here did not agree...

Anyway, I'm not defending him - Mourinho was a twat and did deserve to be fired when he was, but his cause reportedly wasn't helped by the club choosing to back certain players over him.

Jose Mourinho: I risked Man Utd sack if I mistreated 'His Excellency' Paul Pogba

Jose Mourinho: player power is problem in modern football

Ole will have similar problems to contend with.

Anthony Martial's Manchester United future secure as co-chairman Joel Glazer 'considers him the club's Pele'

NoLogo

I said this before but we need to stop giving underperforming players so much time at the club. The rule should be if you under perform or are injured all the time during a season we bring in reinforcements for your position. Either you are better than them and regain your place in the squad the next season or you are gone and we bring someone in who can challenge for that position. I think under SAF that was pretty much the competition levels we had in the squad. Evra in an interview talked about the fear of a bad performance would earn you a place on the bench for the next game because there was always someone ready and waiting to take your place. I also remember Nani being frozen completely out of the squad for weeks when he had one of those spells where he was just a complete wasteman on the pitch.

We need that competitive climate and quality in the squad again. Young has put in so many shit performances over the last couple of weeks of the season but he still started every game because the alternatives somehow where even worse. What a horrible state to be in as a top club.

purgethefallen

Problem with United at the moment is that the players have to keep Woodward and the Glazers happy, not the manager.

Canagel

We aren't in the 70-80-90s anymore...

If you can't manage the egos, you are a dinosaur and you'll be jobless because the "hard way" doesn't work anymore...

Look at Mourinho, Van Gaal, Capello...
This. Managers is not dictators that has to rule with iron fist. Only managers that can handle differing personalities is still in jobs.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Totally correct.
Player power is a disease.
Unless it is treated, ideally by prevention, it will only get worse.
Player power is never evident when you are winning and things are going well.
But when you are loosing and things are going badly, it rears its ugly head and becomes ever more corrosive and ever more difficult to stop.
Player power has no part in a team sport. Each individual has a role within that team.
As soon as an individual stops contributing to the team they must be immediately replaced.
The sooner our players realise that the better.
Totally agree, the Egis are out of check, fine. If you play like cantona or Ronaldo, but when you have tools like martial coasting and pretending they are mega stars and players like pogba who's mind is constantly elsewhere it won't work.
This. Managers is not dictators that has to rule with iron fist. Only managers that can handle differing personalities is still in jobs.
Handling egos is one thing, SAF was the master at it, and for players like Cantona or Keane or Ronaldo it's worth it, but we are pandering to players who just aren't worth it, These are the players who need a rocket up them and putting back in their place.

el3mel

How many times I have said here people want our manager to babysit our players ? They're not fecking babies. They're professional footballers who are paid millions to perform for the club and fans but when they're crap or sulking the manager shouldn't have the right to criticize them in public and should babysit them ? Some here treat our players as if they're babies.

Skills

Snitch
Once he starts buying them from his own pocket then maybe he'll have a right to do that. Up until that moment they're both employees of the club.