John McGinn

Bwuk

Think he'd be a good signing depending on the fee. Isn't the answer to all our problems, but he's better than Fred.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He'd be an upgrade on McTominay/Fred but he's the same type of player I'd argue.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Wouldn’t be the worst signing for us.

Andrew7582

This is what you get when you hire someone like Fletcher with no experience of the role into an important position, he doesn't have knowledge of foreign markets so this is what he comes up with, his scottish mate John McGinn. Reminds of Ryan Giggs and his Dan James reccomendation.

Zlatattack

He's like a premium version of what we already have.

Why is our midfield built of just workhorses?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
This is what you get when you hire someone like Fletcher with no experience of the role into an important position, he doesn't have knowledge of foreign markets so this is what he comes up with, his scottish mate John McGinn. Reminds of Ryan Giggs and his Dan James reccomendation.
Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

Paxi

GMoore23

He's like a premium version of what we already have.

Why is our midfield built of just workhorses?
Nothing wrong with a workhorse midfield

Premier league champions 19/20 with an amazing 99 points
Henderson - Winjaldum - Milner

Paxi

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Villa won't be selling him unless it's stupid money. He's a very good player and I think both United and Liverpool should be looking at him but neither club would want to pay the crazy fee Villa will rightfully demand.

For me, it would have to be McGinn plus another to replace McFred in full. They're simply not good enough and never will be over a 50 game season.

Paxi

He’s always been a good every time I’ve watched Villa. Didn’t know he’s one of the natural leaders - which is definitely what we need. I definitely approve of this transfer.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
£40m for a 27 year old seems like really poor value for money, he's alright but it's not like he'd get in Chelsea, City or Liverpool's team, which is the level we're aspiring to be at.
Nothing wrong with a workhorse midfield

Premier league champions 19/20 with an amazing 99 points
Henderson - Winjaldum - Milner
Milner wasn't their starter, it was Fabinho.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Good player, wrong signing. He's a box to box cm. We need a 6 who can hold his position just in front of the CBs and control things, and a playmaker.

McGinn is at least press resistant, and I think he could be converted into a more deep midfield role due to his attributes, so he wouldn't necessarily be a bad signing. I just don't think we'd use him like that, and they're the types of midfielder we need.

Mainoldo

Will be funny when we get him and people realise he can just about pass better than McTomminay.

But he runs alot and has a good angry face.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He will cost 50m + and think we can do better. This British thing has to stop. There are plenty of midfielders better than ones playing in PL and can be signed for half of the price.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He is contracted till 2025. Villa should take the silly money if we bid. Thankfully they won't.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He is contracted till 2025. Villa should take the silly money if we bid. Thankfully they won't.
They'd likely end up replacing him with a better player for half the price.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
A good signing, will strengthen the midfield. I like it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Think he's a good player but I'd be curious as to what make-up of midfield we'd be building for if he's a key target. Also at 27 years old there's not that much scope for development on his part, what you see is what you get.

Some of his stats are curiously poor too. For example his short and medium passing stats are quite a bit worse than either Fred or McTominay's, though obviously the style of play of the team he plays for and his role plays into that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
McGinn is a good player. Better than what we have. Considering how much our midfield needs a revamp I'm not against it.

However, it does provide an interesting window into the workings of the club. McGinn has been talked up as a target for awhile now. Independently of any coach. First surfaced under Ole. I guess it shows that the club is buying players independently of any coach.

That could prove to be a good thing if the Director of Football has a clear idea of how we're going to play and who's going to coach us. However, we've not seen huge evidence of that kind of coordination in the past nine years. So lets hope this all lines up in the end.

PS) Why is it that we're always needing to spend dozens of millions. Didn't we want Rangnick as a consultant because he had a reputation for unearthing gems? Makes you think this 'consultancy' of his is just a sop.

Zen86

This would turn into another one of our stupid transfer sagas that ends in us paying ridiculous money.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No thanks. Big arse can stay where he is