John O'Shea to Retire | Or Not | Wins Sunderland POTY

Red_toad

It'll remain a mystery to me how O'Shea eeked out a career at United for so long.

Anyone who was pleased to see John O'Shea in the lineup was/is lying to themselves.
Well as you’re never going to be a fantastic football manager, I have no issue with you not understanding how to create successful teams.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Genuinely thought someone bumped a 2-3 year old thread when I saw the title. A proper blast from the past. What's next, someone will claim that Wesley fecking Brown is still an active footballer?!

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Really likeable character and a player who got a career worth beyond his ability. I understand that some fans dont like these players without flair but then managers appreciate them, most probably they work the hardest in training and have a superior tactical awareness on the pitch, qualities that can go unseen for the typical fan watching on tv.
Theres a reason Oshea and other players of his caliber can win a lot of silverware at a big club and sets them apart from most average players that end up in bottom half teams and forge a career at that level.
I never was dissapointed when i saw him in the starting line up. Great servant for our club

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It'll remain a mystery to me how O'Shea eeked out a career at United for so long.

Anyone who was pleased to see John O'Shea in the lineup was/is lying to themselves.
Why did Fergie use him 393 times over 12 years if he was as useless as you say?

Anderson's 181 over nine years is a tough one for me to justify, but I have no such trouble with O'Shea.

Acole9

Outstanding
Don't hate him but he should've retired a year or two ago, he's really ballooned and looks a bit of a parody nowadays.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Fantastic servant for our club who has had a great career. Hope retirement is nice to him.

FujiVice

Loved Sheasy. He was a great servant, and I cant imagine how anyone could have a go at him. He was a utility, who didnt complain if he wasnt in the starting lineup, who scored very, very important goals for us. This is a guy who deserved every bit of success he got. He earned every bit.

As far as Sunderland goes, he's not picking himself every week. These managers keep picking him, even though his legs are gone. Blame the manager, not the player. He was out of contract in the summer and they re-signed him. Good for him.

Jacko21

Why did Fergie use him 393 times over 12 years if he was as useless as you say?

Anderson's 181 over nine years is a tough one for me to justify, but I have no such trouble with O'Shea.
He started on average 10 league games a season.

O'Shea was little more than an extra body. I'm not diminishing the role of 'squad players' but people here are using the terms like 'likeable character' and 'great servant' because they'd sooner say that than acknowledge that he wasn't all that good at football.

Jacko21

Well as you’re never going to be a fantastic football manager, I have no issue with you not understanding how to create successful teams.
There's a reason he was nicknamed John O'Shite. :)

He could clear a ball when he needed to, I'll give him that. But I'll always remember him for his inability to play a 5 yard pass to the feet of his teammate.

Oldyella

That goal against Arsenal was one of my favourite moments. Seemed to basically be the hammer blow to that rivalry even though we lost the Cup final a couple of months later.
Bizarre as it sounds, I found the Cup Final felt like a bigger blow to that rivalry. Despite how frustrating the game was, it was basically Arsenal admitting they could no longer go toe to toe with us.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Darmian-tier player but prone to cringey cult moments.

SAF was too loyal with him, José would never have allowed him to get so fat or play him in midfield.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Nah. It was reassuring that we had players like him who could step up and fill in the gaps when required across the back line, or in midfield.

He started CL semi-finals and tough away games for us. That's a testament to how much Fergie trusted him to do a job.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Genuinely thought someone bumped a 2-3 year old thread when I saw the title. A proper blast from the past. What's next, someone will claim that Wesley fecking Brown is still an active footballer?!
Yep, plays in India with Dimitar Berbatov, who appears to be getting younger.

And yes, that is Scottish born Canadian International and former Tranmere and Leicester striker Iain Hume to the right of Dimitar.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Always thought it was a shame that he and Wes never got a testimonial. 12 seasons at the club since his debut in the League Cup for O'Shea before he left, 10 seasons where he featured in the league. 14 seasons for Wes, league appearances in all apart from 99/00 when he was injured all year. A double send off when they went to Sunderland would've worked nicely.

Don't know if he should have retired earlier, I haven't been watching him. I did like him though.

A bit more than that, but still obviously a squad player.
15.7 if counting from when he made his club debut. He only made 3 league cup appearances in his first 2 seasons mixed in with his loans to Antwerp and Bournemouth.
18.8 league starts if counting from when he actually first played in the league.
20.4 from 02/03 onwards, his breakthrough year.

For a bit of perspective with other squad players. (league starts only again)
Park started 93 in 7 seasons for an average of 13.3
Nani started 111 in 7 for an average of 15.9 (I'm not including 14/15 as a season here)

El Pasillo

The revisionism when it's finest.

John O'Shea was an ok player who used to be a jack of all trade, but master of none.

But unfortunately, his general play was a bit poor. O'Shea was routinely mocked and most people wished for a new signing to replace him. Like someone else said, he was even called for John O'Shite back in the days.

And I honestly don't know why people brings up the amount of matches O'Shea made, since it says nothing about his actual performances.

I mean... Wayne Rooney was a consistent starter under LVG and (initially) Mou despite being incredibly underwhelming.

Sure, O'Shea might have some few good career highlights but then it could be said for any other footballer...

Can't wait for the revisionism when guys like Smalling & Jones leaves/retire at Man Utd, ignoring their shitshows & always being bailed out by DDG.

Last edited:

Aboutreika18

In a strange way, I feel he didn't fulfill his potential.

When he first broke through in 2002/03, he was this marauding full-back who nutmegged Figo or drove through the Newcastle defence and smashed the bar, leading to Giggs' tap-in in the 6-2 win.

But he seemed to go downhill after that, ending up being this lumbering, clumsy oaf in defence, like when he gave away that penalty against West Brom at home in 2004/05, the game where Kuszczak had a blinder for them and we probably decided to sign him. At least he did score that cracker at Highbury in that season!

He improved as a tidy central midfielder towards the end of 2005/06 alongside Giggs and played a valuable role as a squad player popping up with important goals in 2006/07.

2008/09 was probably his second best season after his breakthrough. He was helped by Wes Brown's injury problems and managed to nailed down the RB spot, after Gary Neville was clearly past it and Rafael was still developing. He scored an important goal against Arsenal in the CL and was probably our best player in the final against Barca.

But still, I feel like we missed out on that wiry, surprisingly quick and adventurous full-back O'Shea was when he first broke through. He ended up becoming pretty much the opposite.

A solid, but not particularly quick utility player who filled in wherever possible, even in goal! He also popped up with some memorable and often important goals for us.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
No-look finishing may be all the rage now, but Johnno invented the no-clue celebration.

Great servant and squad player. Always useful.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

SAF was too loyal with him, José would never have allowed him to get so fat or play him in midfield.
this

Loony BoB

What a guy. Arguably my favourite player of all time (no, I'm not kidding). His personality, determination and desire were not to be doubted. He was never a headliner or a flashy player, but he would do a good job no matter what position - and I'm pretty sure he played in every position possible. How many people can say that at United's level? Professional, and the kind of guy I'd love to have a drink with as he seems a great person from all accounts.

Hephaestus

Bizarre as it sounds, I found the Cup Final felt like a bigger blow to that rivalry. Despite how frustrating the game was, it was basically Arsenal admitting they could no longer go toe to toe with us.
Can understand that. But to me the 4-2 was the game where they stopped feeling like our huge rivals, even the cup final felt like it was just a cup final rather than a do or die game against a huge rival.

Zlatattack

He was a very good player for us. A squad player who stepped up and did a job whenever called upon.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
John Oshea is a role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. Xavi

My toughest opponent? Oshea of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. John is undoubtedly the greatest utility player of his generation. Zidane

Good enough to play for Brazil. I love to watch Oshea, to see him pass, the boy with the black hair and the red shirt. Socrates
:lol:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

Far better than Darmian ever was and ever will be. Not the best player but way better than Darmian.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
No real necessity for people to pop in here to say he was shite, is there? A thread for appreciation of an excellent player for club and country and far more importantly, a top human being, the antithesis of the modern footballer. But by all means, come in and reminisce about how he couldn't hold a candle to Morgan Schneiderlin.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
No real necessity for people to pop in here to say he was shite, is there? A thread for appreciation of an excellent player for club and country and far more importantly, a top human being, the antithesis of the modern footballer. But by all means, come in and reminisce about how he couldn't hold a candle to Morgan Schneiderlin.
No real necessity to have a completely random dig at Schneiderlin either.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Great guy, great player to have in the squad. Here's to an amazing career!

mohammed90

O'Shea was little more than an extra body. I'm not diminishing the role of 'squad players' but people here are using the terms like 'likeable character' and 'great servant' because they'd sooner say that than acknowledge that he wasn't all that good at football.
I'm sure you're a better judge on his ability and attitude while you sit on your couch than all the managers and coaching staff he worked with...

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Can't really understand how could someone hate him. He was a great servant and great guy.

Had some really memorable moments but let's not forget this, probably the worst shot I ever saw:

rm4eva

Supports
Real Madrid
Players like JOS are essential to cover for injuries and to play in lesser games.
Not only that, they even save you $10-30 million that would be spent on a squad player.

Not sure how many JOS will Mourinho churn out at United.
I bet he'd prefer to spend big on a squad player instead of developing one.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Might have to put this thread on ice :lol:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0329/951033-i-still-feel-good-oshea-not-ready-to-hang-up-boots/

John O'Shea admitted he'll have to discuss his Sunderland future at the end of this campaign - but the 36-year-old Waterford man crushed any suggestion he's ready to hang up his boots.

Although the defender is not 100% sure if he'll remain at the Stadium of Light - "we can sit down and talk about my future, and whether I’m playing here or somewhere else next season" - there's no chance he'll call it a day.
Thanks, The Times :D

Eugenius

I think people are forgetting he was a pretty good player who had some good spells in our first XI...

02/03 he was essentially our starting left back and was a tremendous attacking full back

05/06 played 2nd half of the season with Giggs in CM (which was basically the foundation for 06/07 with Ronaldo and Saha coming into form)

08/09 he was our first choice RB with Brown injured, Neville past it and Rafael still raw. Reached CL final (scoring vs Arsenal on the way) .