John O'Shea to Retire | Or Not | Wins Sunderland POTY

Super Mokh

He was far far better than the likes of Darmian or other dross we have now. Sheasy embodied what every player should be. He might not have been the most talented or skillful but he made it up with grit and professionalism.

Josep Dowling

There's a reason he was nicknamed John O'Shite. :)

He could clear a ball when he needed to, I'll give him that. But I'll always remember him for his inability to play a 5 yard pass to the feet of his teammate.
True but he did nutmeg Figo, had a last minute chipped goal against Arsenal and a 90th minute winner at Anfield.

extincti fugax hominum

Absolutely loved Sheasy when he was here and don't care about his limited quality on the ball etc. We had enough technical quality in our team anyway and he was a squad player. For me, squad players like O'Shea, Brown, Fletch who were great servants to the club are much much more valuable in the history of this club than the likes of Ronaldo etc. who couldn't wait to run away to Madrid.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Web of Bissaka

Our best all time squad player? Maybe one of the best, manager-specific under SAF.
Fantastic attitude and very good professionally, can do the job just reliable enough, and can literally cover all the 11 positions and roles, even keeper, except winger.

He's consistently average and bad technically :lol: oh come on, it's true, yet he have this knack of producing very memorable cult-hero amazing moments.

Love it.

Retiring? Most likely fake news, he can still play at lower and lower level leagues.

criticalanalysis

Our best all time squad player? Maybe one of the best, manager-specific under SAF.
Fantastic attitude and very good professionally, can do the job just reliable enough, and can literally cover all the 11 positions and roles, even keeper, except winger.

He's consistently average and bad technically :lol: oh come on, it's true, yet he have this knack of producing very memorable cult-hero amazing moments.

Love it.

Retiring? Most likely fake news, he can still play at lower and lower level leagues.
Have a word with yourself man, he megged Figo on the wings!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Highest chance conversion ratio in the Premier League 06/07 season. 4 shots, 3 goals
Underrated stat. Fergie should've played him as a striker and took advantage of his incredible form. He's as good as anyone when played anywhere, He could even be the ballboy or the ref and did well in those positions. The most flexible false 9/1/5/22 of all times.

Siorac

Darmian-tier player but prone to cringey cult moments.

SAF was too loyal with him, José would never have allowed him to get so fat or play him in midfield.
He was a lot more reliable when it came to actual defending than Darmian, though he was similarly useless most of the time as an attacking fullback.

MAME DIOUF 32

The most overrated player I've seen play for United. I would say he found his level at Sunderland, but he actually didn't until they dropped right to the bottom of the Championship. That was his level.

Giggsy92

Based on his goal just now he's definitely got another few years in him playing as a poacher.

Kostur

海尔的老板
The most overrated player I've seen play for United. I would say he found his level at Sunderland, but he actually didn't until they dropped right to the bottom of the Championship. That was his level.
Definitely one of the most idiotic I have ever read on Caf.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He was never overrated. Everyone knew his level was solid squad player and that's what he was. No one said he was Maldini.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Scored tonight as Sunderland won 4-1 at Derby. Derby in bad form, but Sunderland's was worse going into this. Nice one Sheasy!

Not his best goal.

Edit: Hmmm, weird. My adblocker stops it playing here but not on streamable. Had to temporarily disable it to see it here.

Last edited:

prateik

They have just been relegated to league one. No one is going to be happy.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
They have just been relegated to league one. No one is going to be happy.
Haha exactly, what does the guy expect when saying “they look over the moon”.

Back to back relegations and finishing bottom of the Championship is tragic. They shouldn’t even have an award ceremony because the players should be embarrassed for any kind of celebratory awards after the shit show they have gave the fans for the last 2 seasons.

Castia

Why would you even hold such an award after back to back relegation...

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
:lol: Some of the comments in that thread:

78 goals conceded and a central defender gets poty ha ha
That chip he scored v Arsenal was mint n all
Played almost evey game in the worst defence in English football. Aye, we must all be imbecilic for thinking this is a bit of a joke.
We've kept the lowest amount of clean sheets in second tier history :lol::lol: O'Shea player of the year, feck me.
O’Shea regardless of his age or professionalism has been absolutely gash this year, fecking terrible. Shouldn’t have been an award and if there was one people should have voted George foster or something in protest.

Dominant

There's a reason he was nicknamed John O'Shite. :)

He could clear a ball when he needed to, I'll give him that. But I'll always remember him for his inability to play a 5 yard pass to the feet of his teammate.
He was never nicknamed John O'Shite. what the hell are you on about?

Dominant

says someone with Mame Diouf as his username. :rolleyes:

Acole9

Outstanding
Why didn't they just scrap the awards, they've had an abysmal season.

Mindhunter

What the feck? He scored a late winner at fecking Anfield. He is a legend.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Everyone looks over the moon.
I feel awful for John. I think he looks pretty emotional and depressed here to be honest.

I know quite a lot of people here don't like Sunderland, but I used to enjoy going to matches there with mates when I lived there - it was invariably a laugh, plenty of gallows humour. They've made an absolute mess of tackling the toxic attitude in the club though, and probably deserve to be where they are. They're in a bit of terminal decline now and need to do something drastic to stop the collapse.

I agree that they should have cancelled this award too.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I feel awful for John. I think he looks pretty emotional and depressed here to be honest.

I know quite a lot of people here don't like Sunderland, but I used to enjoy going to matches there with mates when I lived there - it was invariably a laugh, plenty of gallows humour. They've made an absolute mess of tackling the toxic attitude in the club though, and probably deserve to be where they are. They're in a bit of terminal decline now and need to do something drastic to stop the collapse.

I agree that they should have cancelled this award too.
Agreed on all points. I feel bad for John too, and he looks so downcast.

I used to go to uni in Sunderland and I loved it there. Many of my friends supported them and it was always with a sense of humor like you say. They deserve to be where they are, and while I enjoy it for how they behaved after City won the league in 2012, I hope they can arrest the spiral they find themselves trapped in and sort themselves out.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Eh? Yes they are.
The whole first two pages of your 'references' consists of this thread, stuff about Donald Trump, other general forum stuff, people making fun of devilish, and a Spanish tax thread of someone making puns of players names.

The majority of your 'references' are literally just people calling devilish a moron.

Jacko21

The whole first two pages of your 'references' consists of this thread, stuff about Donald Trump, other general forum stuff, people making fun of devilish, and a Spanish tax thread of someone making puns of players names.

The majority of your 'references' are literally just people calling devilish a moron.
And the rest of the pages that you're conveniently ignoring? :) You know, the pages that contain posters calling him O'Shite...

During O'Shea's career did you honestly never hear anyone refer to him as O'Shite - even in jest!?