John Stones | Performances

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
He was just as poor at Everton. Their defense has actually improved since they got Williams in.
Or improved under one of the truly great central defenders in Koeman

Its not like many of this mistakes have suddenly popped up into his game.

The only difference now is that Roberto Martinez can't be used as a scapegoat for a player making basic defensive mistakes.
I would counter that he's being asked to do different things in Pep's system than what Martinez did - eventhough he saw a lot of the ball too. Positioning is fundamental to Pep's approach so I haven't see him caught out, I've seen him make bad decisions or slip

thepolice123

Pep a great manager but his transfer record for CBs is highly questionable. To say that Stones' will turn out good because he's young and plays for Pep is presumptuous. This is not the first time he has splashed big money on a young CB. He has bought a slew of them in the past, and with the exception of Pique, all of them flopped. I don't think he has ever bought a CB who eventually became a starter in his team and Pique was previously a La Masia product too. Some of the flops that come to mind are Chygrynskiy, Caceres, Benatia, Henrique.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He was just as poor at Everton. Their defense has actually improved since they got Williams in.

Its not like many of this mistakes have suddenly popped up into his game.

The only difference now is that Roberto Martinez can't be used as a scapegoat for a player making basic defensive mistakes.
This.

Now no one will use Martinez shit defending coaching to cover up Stones own shittiness.

And this certainly isn't a kneejerk reaction thread. He's just picked up where he left off at Everton which was him being bad to the point of being dropped toward the end of the season.

He left Everton with a reputation of being bad at actual depending but good on the ball and he's still the same so far.

Ludens the Red

First, I don't know. Pep's biggest impact is & has been in the midfield but has helped players all over the pitch. Piqué is a player that draws some comparisons to Stones and when Pep brought him back from United, he wasn't even playing regularly for you lot. So, you could easily argue there are similarities there in what Guardiola can do with a ball playing central defender who likes to go forward - Piqué even played many matches as a DM for Zaragoza. I can recall many doubted Geri's abilities as a defender. I liked Stones from the first time I saw him under Martinez' first season at Everton but then watched little after so I can't weigh in on what has happened to his development or career from there

For a central defender, yes, age has a big impact. The best central defenders in the modern game have rarely been young players - I suspect the conventional wisdom is that a central defender doesn't really mature into a top flight defender until their late 20s. Experience, especially playing the way a coach wants you to. Not too many people were raving about how great Boateng was prior to Pep's arrival but that changed. I am not sure about Stones because honestly I don't watch him enough to have a strong opinion one way or another. I go only by Pep, if he is convinced then there has to be something there - whether it works out ultimately no one knows but most would agree it's far too early to write his epitaph as a defender
Yeah there's no doubting Peps ability to raise the level of his midfielders. It's second to none but I don't know of any cbs who's game went up a level under pep other than Boateng as you said. Pique wasn't a regular for us because of Ferdinand and Vidic but the games he did play he looked very accomplished if a little raw. Pique learnt a lot at United too, he's said so himself.

With Pep he's tended to place midfielders and wing backs at centre back and that tells me he does not prioritise defending and I'm not so sure he's the right man to help Stones progress. I was a little surprised he didn't sign a better centre half. Stones is young but so are about ten centre backs in the world his age who are all better than him and probably won't cost 50 million, it kind of makes me believe Pep wasnt completely in control of this transfer. It's no secret he wanted Laporte but Stones is not even close to being the second best option. I dunno, it doesn't add up to me.

thepolice123

First, I don't know. Pep's biggest impact is & has been in the midfield but has helped players all over the pitch. Piqué is a player that draws some comparisons to Stones and when Pep brought him back from United, he wasn't even playing regularly for you lot. So, you could easily argue there are similarities there in what Guardiola can do with a ball playing central defender who likes to go forward - Piqué even played many matches as a DM for Zaragoza. I can recall many doubted Geri's abilities as a defender. I liked Stones from the first time I saw him under Martinez' first season at Everton but then watched little after so I can't weigh in on what has happened to his development or career from there

For a central defender, yes, age has a big impact. The best central defenders in the modern game have rarely been young players - I suspect the conventional wisdom is that a central defender doesn't really mature into a top flight defender until their late 20s. Experience, especially playing the way a coach wants you to. Not too many people were raving about how great Boateng was prior to Pep's arrival but that changed. I am not sure about Stones because honestly I don't watch him enough to have a strong opinion one way or another. I go only by Pep, if he is convinced then there has to be something there - whether it works out ultimately no one knows but most would agree it's far too early to write his epitaph as a defender
When Pep arrived at Bayern, Boeteng was already on the ascendancy. I think Heynckes deserves most of the credit for the player Boeteng is today.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Well, we all know City wanted Laporte and even if they had landed him, an English defender with enormous potential like Stones ticks all the boxes Guardiola likes in a central defender - so I think he would've gone with both in the end. But Stones under Koeman, well that might've been more interesting, especially if you are thinking about England

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Apart from yesterday and against Sunderland, has he had any poor games.

Green_Red

I have been saying all along. A defender's main role is to defend. The rest is a bonus. Rio, Maldini and Baresi could all pass the ball at a level Stones can only dream to do. However they were great defenders too
Baresi was so good when you watch highlights of the man its difficult to tell if hes a CB or a midfielder. Brilliant reader of the game and youre right great passer.

Ive always thought the best defenders do the basics well all the time, which basically boils down to decision making. I didnt see the game last night but for a young defender I think Stones has the potential, but I thought Evans and Jones did too.

paulscholes18

His best position to me would be in the middle of a back 3, and have him study Bonucci, so he can learn when to play out from the back and when to play safe, where to position himself with and without the ball

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
His best position to me would be in the middle of a back 3, and have him study Bonucci, so he can learn when to play out from the back and when to play safe, where to position himself with and without the ball
A 40M+ defender shouldn't be studying anybody. He should be able to defend. That's the basics for defenders. Would you spend 40m on a goalkeeper who can't handle the ball?

There again he's an ex Everton player and Everton players are massively overrated. Coleman, Stones, the Jag, Baines, Fellaini, Mccarthy, Barckley, Lukaku....you wonder how they don't win the treble year in year out

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He couldn't have done anything for the 4th goal yesterday. Otamendi was the culprit.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Apart from yesterday and against Sunderland, has he had any poor games.
Against us he was pretty poor, lost the ball several times doing silly things but got lucky in that we didn't make anything from those situations. Can't say I've seen too many other games he's played in.

paulscholes18

A 40M+ defender shouldn't be studying anybody. He should be able to defend. That's the basics for defenders. Would you spend 40m on a goalkeeper who can't handle the ball?

There again he's an ex Everton player and Everton players are massively overrated. Coleman, Stones, the Jag, Baines, Fellaini, Mccarthy, Barckley, Lukaku....you wonder how they don't win the treble year in year out
He's not a 40m+ defender, he's a 15m defender with the potential of becoming a 40m+ player,
just don't think Martinez or Pep were/ are right for him just yet, as they seem to encourage his mistakes rather then punish them, I think he would become a better player quicker under Koeman, Mourinho, Conte, Moyes and Simeone then he would/ will under Pep

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's not a 40m+ defender, he's a 15m defender with the potential of becoming a 40m+ player,
just don't think Martinez or Pep were/ are right for him just yet, as they seem to encourage his mistakes rather then punish them, I think he would become a better player quicker under Koeman, Mourinho, Conte, Moyes and Simeone then he would/ will under Pep
Hes an average defender whose comfortable with the ball a bit like an average goalkeeper whose comfortable with the ball. Today were mixing the must have to the nice to have

Kag

He is what he is. A fairly average defender that is good on the ball, in a generation of English central defenders that leave a lot to be desired. His value has been inflated as a result.

He turned his back on Neymar just outside the six yard box. It's ludicrous defending.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
This.

Now no one will use Martinez shit defending coaching to cover up Stones own shittiness.

And this certainly isn't a kneejerk reaction thread. He's just picked up where he left off at Everton which was him being bad to the point of being dropped toward the end of the season.

He left Everton with a reputation of being bad at actual depending but good on the ball and he's still the same so far.
He was even worse at Everton last season.

The excuses made for him were plenty though.I always found the Martinez one the most nonsensical as none of the other Everton defenders were regularly making the basic errors he was making.

My opinion of him has stayed largely the same.Same with a lot of other people. I'm not sure if some of the people here understand what knee-jerk means.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
All I know is I had this idiot in my fantasy league team and he never got me any points higher than 2.

Ludens the Red

A look at the improvements of Pique and Boateng under his management should answer that question emphatically
maybe not so emphatic...

Pep a great manager but his transfer record for CBs is highly questionable. To say that Stones' will turn out good because he's young and plays for Pep is presumptuous. This is not the first time he has splashed big money on a young CB. He has bought a slew of them in the past, and with the exception of Pique, all of them flopped. I don't think he has ever bought a CB who eventually became a starter in his team and Pique was previously a La Masia product too. Some of the flops that come to mind are Chygrynskiy, Caceres, Benatia, Henrique.
Yeah there's no doubting Peps ability to raise the level of his midfielders. It's second to none but I don't know of any cbs who's game went up a level under pep other than Boateng as you said. Pique wasn't a regular for us because of Ferdinand and Vidic but the games he did play he looked very accomplished if a little raw. Pique learnt a lot at United too, he's said so himself.

With Pep he's tended to place midfielders and wing backs at centre back and that tells me he does not prioritise defending and I'm not so sure he's the right man to help Stones progress. I was a little surprised he didn't sign a better centre half. Stones is young but so are about ten centre backs in the world his age who are all better than him and probably won't cost 50 million, it kind of makes me believe Pep wasnt completely in control of this transfer. It's no secret he wanted Laporte but Stones is not even close to being the second best option. I dunno, it doesn't add up to me.

cyberman

10 goals conceded in 4 games with 2 missed pens yet most City fans wouldn't say a cross word against Stones or Otamendi

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol:

Kompany cops some blame too I feel. Needlessly stepped up.

Nero

Don't worry, he'll elegantly bring the ball forward out of defence shortly. That will be enough to get people back on side again.

SteveW

Hilariously bad defender. There's probably still people on here who think he's better than Smalling :rolleyes:

MrPooni

I was so disappointed when Pep saw through the calamitous Joe Hart but thankfully there's a new homegrown clown in town.

Deleted member 101472

" I mean we know he's going to turn into a top top player but that's shocking"

Commentator