John Stones | Performances

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Why do pundits and commentators still think Stones is a good passer? He's comfortable on the ball but it's been made very clear this season over and over and over again he's really not a great passer. He's worse than someone like Jones never mind Koscielny.

Nick7

Why do pundits and commentators still think Stones is a good passer? He's comfortable on the ball but it's been made very clear this season over and over and over again he's really not a great passer. He's worse than someone like Jones never mind Koscielny.
He played under Martinez and Guardiola bought him. That's about it. He tries to pass a lot, but doesn't really do it successfully.

Bwuk

He's got good technique but lacks a brain

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's got good technique but lacks a brain
I think even from a technical perspective his passing's really average. He definitely lacks vision but he makes so many sloppy passes which have more to do with sloppy technique more than anything else.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Definitely. Was thinking this the other week watching Jones pass out from the back with nice, clean, intelligent passes (passing to the midfielders that actually themselves had a pass on after receiving the ball).

Stones has become a bit of a parody of himself, I think. He's young and he's doing what he's been told he's good at, and what has got him praise and attention - rather than thinking for himself and playing logically, if that makes sense. So many times, the easy pass is on and instead he feels that he has to be a 'better' player than that. He was doing this at Everton as well.

Pogba was doing this for about 2 months for us this season. I think it's youth and the desire to meet expectations.

Stones could well end up the next Smalling/Jones, in that he's been touted as being the next 'best defender in England', but might well fall short.

Saying that, he's still young, so he might sort it out, but for me, he'd be better under a manager that would actually bring out the defender in him, rather than focus on his already natural inclination to play out from the back! He'd probably improve under José more than he has/will under Guardiola.

Vindal

Well, I had 50 pence on him scoring a header at 21/1 - good on him! :lol:

Vindal

Hey big spender!!
No need to stroke my ego like that! ;):p After having lost too many bets recently, I thought it was fitting to bet the remaining 50 pence on my betting account on the glorious defender that is Mr. John Stones!

U99ted

No need to stroke my ego like that! ;):p After having lost too many bets recently, I thought it was fitting to bet the remaining 50 pence on my betting account on the glorious defender that is Mr. John Stones!
Congrats on the win! You can challenge West Ham's bid for Snodgrass with that kind of dosh.

Ainu

He looks composed on the ball for a defender, I think that's what made him stand out initially. What he actually does with the ball is another matter.

SteveW

Jones is pretty underrated in that regard to be fair. Due to his aggressive blood and thunder style people forget he's a decent footballer for a centre half. Decent enough that he played a good few games in midfield for both United and England and looked fairly comfortable. Not all CBs would be able to handle playing in midfield at top level football.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
His defending has always been underwhelming at best but pep's tactics will ensure he never really improves on that aspect of that game. Mourinho would have built on Stones' strength and turned him to a proper defender. Pep will destroy him.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
At sea for the goal.
yeah right....i mean its okay to criticize a player when he is playing badly and Stones was(seems to up his game a bit in last game or two) but lets not push it. The blame for the goal goes to Clichy(passed it straight to Everton player), Yaya(poor reaction) and Otamendi(poor positioning).
Stones did nothing wrong, played a pass to Clichy and switched places with Yaya as he dropped back(something they do all game and something we do with Carrick and our CBs).

JeffBoomTetris

Stones made the wrong move. He seems to be going the way of Ireland, Bellamy, Scott Sinclair, Rodwell, Delph and all those talents that got wasted.

Also, only in the Caf can you hear that defenders like Cahill and Azpi are average

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
yeah right....i mean its okay to criticize a player when he is playing badly and Stones was(seems to up his game a bit in last game or two) but lets not push it. The blame for the goal goes to Clichy(passed it straight to Everton player), Yaya(poor reaction) and Otamendi(poor positioning).
Stones did nothing wrong, played a pass to Clichy and switched places with Yaya as he dropped back(something they do all game and something we do with Carrick and our CBs).
Indeed.

I'd argue they should never be switching places but that's on baldy.

Deleted member 101472

What was he doing there? He just completely shat it from Barkley. He's a horrendous defender, one of the worst I've ever seen.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
of course he turns to shit after i defend him at HT...

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
This has to be the worst season, by any defender at a Champions League club in England in recent memory?

I can't think of anyone who compares, who remained first choice at his club.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
In a rare defence, in that particular incident Stones will get stick (he could have put it out) but that's just a fluke bounce back. The keeper was worse in the incident.

AndyJ1985

£50m

Fifty
Million

What on earth were they thinking? Defenders are supposed to be good at defending.

vodrake

The only thing that suprises me are that there are still people trying to defend him. Trying harder than he is to defend at least