John Stones | Performances

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Kompany and Otamendi need games so I understand an element of rotation just not sure why it's always Stones rather than Laporte that makes way.
Maybe later in the season he'll flip it if Laporte starts to wear down.
It might be that Laporte is the only one who is left footed.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
It might be that Laporte is the only one who is left footed.
Yes but he can't play 60 odd games per season.
A pairing of 2 rightys is going to have to be used in about 25% of games (injuries excepted) so I would have thought it makes sense to rotate often while all 4 CB's are fit?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Kompany and Otamendi need games so I understand an element of rotation just not sure why it's always Stones rather than Laporte that makes way.
Maybe later in the season he'll flip it if Laporte starts to wear down.
Because Laporte is better

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
As long as he is good at passing it from the back. :lol:

Edit: fecking Samid, was searching for newer thread on him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been shocking for the entire game. That block head next to him not much better.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His cockiness is something else, you can't help but wish him more games like this with his attitude on the pitch.

Zoo

Pep has realised that he isn’t up to much. The media have stayed quiet.

Bojan11

Good thing Kompany has left. He’d be starting more games next season.

Eddy_JukeZ

Always find it funny how a lot of the City players look much worse playing for their national team.

AJ10

50 mil 3 seasons ago. :lol: Can't hide behind 70% possession for England, Joke "defender".

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He’s always been rubbish when he’s coming back from injury or whatever. He hasn’t started a game since April so no surprise that he was pants tonight. The first brainfart was just bloody stupid and arrogant. The second one into Barkley was a byproduct of the first.

Based Adnan

Mad how shite Stones and Bailly turned out. They were all the rage when they both signed in 2016.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Right he's shite, who else do we have?
Joe Gomez.

Problem is, Maguire's shite as well. Gomez and Keane sound good?

He’s always been rubbish when he’s coming back from injury or whatever. He hasn’t started a game since April so no surprise that he was pants tonight. The first brainfart was just bloody stupid and arrogant. The second one into Barkley was a byproduct of the first.
Not a good night for the ex Everton lads. Honestly, I think you are better without the overrated trio of frauds (Stones, Barkley, Lukaku) great business offloading them for big money.

Good thing Kompany has left. He’d be starting more games next season.
No chance. Expect two new centre backs. Pep figured out this guy was a fraud last January. Wouldn't be surprised if they go all in for de Ligt.

GledTheRed

Joe Gomez.

Problem is, Maguire's shite as well. Gomez and Keane sound good?

Not a good night for the ex Everton lads. Honestly, I think you are better without the overrated trio of frauds (Stones, Barkley, Lukaku) great business offloading them for big money.
Yeah probably Gomez, have to work on getting Maguire out next like you say.

Eddy_JukeZ

What players look better for their national team?
Not many, but their players arguably drop the most playing for their NT compared to other players at top clubs.

My point was more to debunk this myth IMO that City are loaded with world class players.

Paul_Scholes18

How is Pep making this guy look good playing for City? I know he is not first choice, but Peps management/tactical skills sometimes seem unreal. I guess today was just a terrible day though, but you don't see him giving the ball away playing under Pep when I guess the movement around him is better and makes it much easier for him to pick a pass.

Paul_Scholes18

Always find it funny how a lot of the City players look much worse playing for their national team.
Peps a tactical mastermind no doubt. He makes it so much easier for his players in many ways once they know what to do. People only claim he wins due to having world class players, but I also say he is making them that good most of the time. With Messi it is different because he is just one class above everyone in the world.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Not good news, means Liverpool will waltz to the title
Don't know about that but you watch Pep turn him into a colossus next season and we'll be going into Euros with him because of his form at City only to ultimately feck up again when we're there.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Horrific performance, which is a shame because generally I think he's a good player that has taken a lot of stick. But you can't hide behind that performance. Just not good enough at the elite level, and he has to own it, and improve. There are no other alternatives for him. There are also limited alternatives for England.

el3mel

He'll only look good in Pep's system. It happens for some players that appear only good in certain system and get exposed outside it.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
There is absolutely no excuse for that turn on the edge of his own box. However, there were never any midfield passes on for him or Maguire all night. That midfield choice was abysmal by Southgate and created more problems than anything else.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Not many, but their players arguably drop the most playing for their NT compared to other players at top clubs.

My point was more to debunk this myth IMO that City are loaded with world class players.
The caf should make up it's mind as to whether Pep has a loaded WC squad and he can put his feet up and waltz to trophies, or they're not all that and he makes them look good.