John Stones | Performances

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Pep's system doesn't require great defenders (Mascherano looked world class next to Pique for example), and they almost always have easy one touch options to pass to. Being able to pick a pass in that setup is not the same as being able to pick one under pressure. Plus Fernandinho is probably the best DM in the league which doesn't hurt.

Just use your eyes, Stones hardly ever attacks the aerial balls and in the rare occasions he's put under pressure he often fecks up on the ball.

And in terms of that 3rd goal, watch it back, Barkley doesn't want that ball at all, he's just making space for Stones to pop it long. Atrocious decision to pass to him. That's not to say Barkley isn't at fault too once he receives the ball of course, but it's still a colossal feck up from Stones.
1. False. It does. In Pep's system as a defender you have to understand positional play, be comfortable holding a high line, serve as auxiliary playmakers when midfielders are being sat on, and be great at defending moves that escape the first wave of pressure, on the counter and at set pieces.

2. My eyes function well, but when they fail I go to the stats which show Stones in the top 3 of aerial clearances at City. He's scored a few on the opposite side too.

3. Stones had a bad game, not disputing that. Using this game as a summary of Stones would be as silly as using the home game at Tottenham as a summary of Laporte, or the away game at Barcelona as a summary of Van Dijk, or...

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
1. False. It does. In Pep's system as a defender you have to understand positional play, be comfortable holding a high line, serve as auxiliary playmakers when midfielders are being sat on, and be great at defending moves that escape the first wave of pressure, on the counter and at set pieces.

2. My eyes function well, but when they fail I go to the stats which show Stones in the top 3 of aerial clearances at City. He's scored a few on the opposite side too.

3. Stones had a bad game, not disputing that. Using this game as a summary of Stones would be as silly as using the home game at Tottenham as a summary of Laporte, or the away game at Barcelona as a summary of Van Dijk, or...
Well all I'll say is that it's a great coincidence then that he's had more average to poor games for England (who aren't a great side, albeit they're decent) than he's had good ones. Whereas he's usually decent for City when surrounded by quality players.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
10 starts this season
9 wins
1 draw

2 goals conceded
8 clean sheets

He's having a good season and has managed to cut out the daft mistakes his game, bagged another goal today.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Stones and Dias have formed such a good partnership. I'm so happy.
They’ve been the best two centre backs in the league this season by far. It’s weird that people are still shocked when Stones plays well as he’s been consistently excellent for a while now.

If he’s not England’s first choice defender at the Euros then Southgate really is clueless.

10 starts this season
9 wins
1 draw

2 goals conceded
8 clean sheets

He's having a good season and has managed to cut out the daft mistakes his game, bagged another goal today.
He also came on as an early injury sub in a CL group game and kept a clean sheet so the record is actually a little better than that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fair play. Didn't see this coming. Stones has regained in best level at City and then some, and the talk of Dias wasn't of a top defender when you signed him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
They’ve been the best two centre backs in the league this season by far.
He's played full seven games ffs!

Worst rated City player vs both Chelsea and Newcastle, joint worst against Wolverhampton.

Taking about overreaction.

Red00012

Worst rated City player vs both Chelsea and Newcastle, joint worst against Wolverhampton.

They beat Chelsea 3-1 and conceded with the last kick of the game how was he the worst? Is their such a thing as bad when your team wins 3-1 away against a title rival ?

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City

Bit more when you count in Europe and the League Cup, but yeah, obviously he needs to stay fit and provide this level for longer.

But 'worst rated vs Chelsea and Newcastle' well now you're talking out of your arse. What the feck does this even mean? Please tell me you didn't rate his performance via WhoScored. He was brilliant in both games.

Sylar

You think they will be able to stay fit for the rest of the season?
Not sure about injury records or if either are prone to knocks?

If not I think that will see your lot to the title quite easily in the end

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

It's not an overreaction at all, Dias in his first season in the premier league is performing very well. It's not a easy system to to adapt you when you first start playing it in... Hes fitted it like a glove. The rightly deserve the praise as they have both been very impressive.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Bit more when you count in Europe and the League Cup, but yeah, obviously he needs to stay fit and provide this level for longer.

But 'worst rated vs Chelsea and Newcastle' well now you're talking out of your arse. What the feck does this even mean? Please tell me you didn't rate his performance via WhoScored. He was brilliant in both games.
He said in the league.

Yeah, whoscored is decent objective rating system. Not something that can be taken for granted though. But for example, vs Chelsea he had least number of interceptions and clearances in your back line, Dies had 3 interceptions and 6 clearances, 4 blocked shots, while Stones had just 2 interception and 1 clearance, 0 blocked shots. He also had the worst passing accuracy in the team, so he obviously wasn't brilliant, even if he had a good game like you say.

It's not an overreaction at all, Dias in his first season in the premier league is performing very well. It's not a easy system to to adapt you when you first start playing it in... Hes fitted it like a glove. The rightly deserve the praise as they have both been very impressive.
I am not talking about Dias.

Who’s been better?
Anyone who has played at least half of premierealgue games, it means they were at least available to play. It's like saying Cavani has been better for United than Rashford this season based on 3 games he's played.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Anyone who has played at least half of premierealgue games, it means they were at least available to play. It's like saying Cavani has been better for United than Rashford this season based on 3 games he's played.
An absolute nonsense opinion and three games are barely comparable. But if, for example, Cavani had played 8 games and scored 15 goals then clearly he would be the best striker in the league this season.

If you look at their average performance levels compared to any other centre back in England this season, Dias and Stones have been head and shoulders above everyone else.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Yeah, whoscored is decent objective rating system.
Objective but hardly decent, especially for defenders ffs. Freely available analytic metrics in football have so much stepped up since WhoScored was introduced.

Otamendi was one of the best players due to his tackles and interceptions, even though it meant him being out of position all the time. I know you have a bit of a weird agenda when it comes to English centrebacks, but othern than questioning the period of his good form, there is not much sense to doubt its quality (when you actually watch his games).

Pep's Suit

You genuinely care about WhoScored ratings? :lol:

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Objective but hardly decent, especially for defenders ffs. Freely available analytic metrics in football have so much stepped up since WhoScored was introduced.

Otamendi was one of the best players due to his tackles and interceptions, even though it meant him being out of position all the time. I know you have a bit of a weird agenda when it comes to English centrebacks, but othern than questioning the period of his good form, there is not much sense to doubt its quality (when you actually watch his games).
*overpriced mostly

Neither of them turned to be any good after every one of them was way overpriced so I am probably right. I tend to like the underrated ones like Smalling, Keane, etc. They are not neccesarily top CBs, but they are nothing worse than their collegues who are praised far more and yet are nothing better.

Stones' quality, give me a break :lol:
When is the last time he was in competition for team of the season or anyhwere close? He isn't great at heading, he isn't great at reading the game, he makes too many mistakes for a ball playing CB, so he is nothing special. And he is quite slow for a modern CB. People tend to criticise Maguire but he has far more qualities than Stones and will definitely have better career than him. Probably had better season last year than any of Stones' so far, even while not having the greatest season himself.

You genuinely care about WhoScored ratings? :lol:
Obviously, when it fits my agenda.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
He isn't great at heading, he isn't great at reading the game, he makes too many mistakes for a ball playing CB, so he is nothing special. And he is quite slow for a modern CB. People tend to criticise Maguire but he has far more qualities than Stones and will definitely have better career than him. Probably had better season last year than any of Stones' so far, even while not having the greatest season himself.
The number of incorrect opinions crammed into one paragraph is really quite impressive.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea

Stones was great against us. Like a different player.

Jibbs

Reassuring presence of Dias has boosted his confidence. Dias is having Bruno like impact on City's defense.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Stones has played 7 league games out of 15, now he is head and shoulders above any other CB in the league :lol:

Few more games and he will be the best in Europe.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Stones has played 7 league games out of 15, now he is head and shoulders above any other CB in the league :lol:

Few more games and he will be the best in Europe.
I don’t think it is unreasonable for fans to be happy with a players consistency, especially when it is a player who has a history of lapses in concentration and inconsistency.

With John Stones, there is always that moment of madness in games and he’s not having that beside Dias.