Film Joker (2019)

stepic

I can see Joker winning the Oscar for Best Movie at this rate. You just know the Oscars are looking for a chance to reward a really popular Hollywood movie to try and boost ratings.

Drifter

American
Joker Reaction: Somehow Grittier And Crazier Than The Dark Knight

Kaush949

I think the first Deadpool was something like 600 mil and although the character maybe wasn’t as well known as the Joker its premise probably had more casual Cinema viewers drawn to it along with Reynolds as a lead.

I think this will probably be hard pushed to get near that.
And 'Logan' as well! Top Film!

wr8_utd

:'(
Just saw Joker. Incredible movie. Absolutely terrifyingly incredible movie.
Definitely one of my favorite movies of the year and I'll be amazed if Joaquin Phoenix isn't favorite for the Oscar.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Definitely one of my favorite movies of the year and I'll be amazed if Joaquin Phoenix isn't favorite for the Oscar.
Thats great to hear - hoping to see the movie on Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it.

Sanche7

Great to hear. Was waiting for someone to watch this and give their review before booking the ticket. And I really hope Joaquin Phoenix gets the Oscar. I don’t think there has been a more underrated actor in the last decade or so.

MadMike

That’s some high praise. I got IMAX tickets for Saturday, well excited.

One of my worries is of a very slow built up with little action till the end. How did you find the pace?

wr8_utd

One of my worries is of a very slow built up with little action till the end. How did you find the pace?
This movie isn't all about the action to be honest. It's a bit slow in the first half but I didn't find it slow in a boring way. It was just building up to a phenomenal second half. There is nothing superhero about this movie, just dark, haunting and disturbing.
Great to hear. Was waiting for someone to watch this and give their review before booking the ticket. And I really hope Joaquin Phoenix gets the Oscar. I don’t think there has been a more underrated actor in the last decade or so.
You'll definitely not regret going for it. I've always liked DC and their darker movies in comparison to Marvel so this movie was right up my alley.
Joaquin Phoenix is absolutely unbelievable. It will take a brilliant performance from anyone to beat him to the award. I'm a huge Di Caprio fan but his performance in OUATIH isn't a patch on this.

LARulz

Is it worth the IMAX? Doesn't feel very action type to me but more moody/atmosphere type film

wr8_utd

Is it worth the IMAX? Doesn't feel very action type to me but more moody/atmosphere type film
I initially wanted to watch in IMAX but it's not exactly needed. The best possible sound system, whether it's Dolby or whatever imax has would be great though as the background score is sensational.

LARulz

I initially wanted to watch in IMAX but it's not exactly needed. The best possible sound system, whether it's Dolby or whatever imax has would be great though as the background score is sensational.
Thanks, me and my mate want to watch it and we're going to go local as he doesn't fancy trekking into town in the rain. To be honest, with me I just need it to be good quality video and sound, I am not a purist that can tell a difference between standard Vue/Odeon and IMAX, then get annoyed about it.

wr8_utd

Thanks, me and my mate want to watch it and we're going to go local as he doesn't fancy trekking into town in the rain. To be honest, with me I just need it to be good quality video and sound, I am not a purist that can tell a difference between standard Vue/Odeon and IMAX, then get annoyed about it.
Yeah then going to IMAX really doesn't make sense for you. I usually go to IMAX for either Nolan movies, superhero movies or ones like Everest. This one doesn't really need it at all.

It would sound better maybe but that's it and if it's not something you notice, it's definitely not worth the extra effort.

RedDevilRoshi

That’s encouraging to hear.

I’m heading to see it on Tuesday afternoon. Looking forward to it!

wr8_utd

I think it's a movie that's going to continue to split public opinion and there will be lots who don't like it but I love what they've done with this. You know even DC will revert to their more commerical crap soon with Justice League etc so it was nice to get this out.

meamth

Masterpiece. 10/10.

The last time audience clapped in the cinema was TDK. Last night everyone was clapping, cheering for how good the movie is.

This makes me want to see Joaquin's Joker in full Joker mode, how he fully dived into becoming a supervillain/crime lord. Perhaps Joker 2?

meamth

Doesn't seem like a Joker film/comic story/whatever because the Joker:

a) always embraced madness (the "push") via an accident (usually acid) or injury that left him scarred and-or deformed. His previous odd backstory (mean gangster, or failed comedian, or horrible childhood, etc.) is just the previous step to the "push", that signals the point of no return for him.
b) his high IQ was always oriented to violent organized crime, bizarre plans, tons of guns, etc.
c) hates humanity. The Joker only tolerates few henchmen because they are useful, but won't hesitate to kill them and replace them ad nauseam. The Joker is not about inspiring society to embrace anarchism or chaos. It's about killing the society with chaos.

This trailer only explains to me that a seriously depressed failed comedian is going insane and will eventually trigger a riot by influencing similarly depressed guys. Also blatant ripoff of V of Vendetta with the Clown Mask.

Don't mean to sound like a Joker's pseudo-expert or a dick. Just trying to express how odd/different this trailer looks to what I've been reading/seeing about the Joker for years.
A) Good point. But I'd like to argue that we have to remind ourselves that this is a different origin story. I think the backstory how he got his brain trauma when he was a child signifies how he accepted that he can never be normal again, thus embracing the madness in the 3rd part of the movie. He accepted it, he will be mad for the rest of his life. (nice touch)

If that is the version of Ace Chemical accident, I think it is brilliantly thought by the writers. Something different.

B)For me, Joker's high IQ is associated with his chaos way of thinking. The more crazier he gets, the more fecked up things he will try to do. He doesn't have a plan (Like himself said), he just do things.

In this movie, we have to understand that he is just beginning to do "things". He realized that by the end of the movie when he was standing in front of the crowd. That is the moment when he will become the Joker we know. He knows, he can feck things up by being this crazy person, and that is a nice ending.

C) Killing his friend Randall and the talk show host shows how he finally hates Gotham, and he will try to destroy it.

I just realized this post was before the movie came out, but I'd like to see more of this Joker. Sequel is a must.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Masterpiece. 10/10.

The last time audience clapped in the cinema was TDK. Last night everyone was clapping, cheering for how good the movie is.

This makes me want to see Joaquin's Joker in full Joker mode, how he fully dived into becoming a supervillain/crime lord. Perhaps Joker 2?
The ending ties it up so neatly, it finishes the journey from the awkward stuggling clown to him fitting in into the role Heath Ledger picked up. My only complaint would be that they didn't exactly convey his high IQ in this narrative.

meamth

The ending ties it up so neatly, it finishes the journey from the awkward stuggling clown to him fitting in into the role Heath Ledger picked up. My only complaint would be that they didn't exactly convey his high IQ in this narrative.
That's the thing, we always thought or assume that Joker is a genius supervillain, capable of toying with Batman.

For me, Joker always do things first, Batman solve it later. Becoming crazy can also turns you into a "clever" villain.

By the end of the movie he certainly embraced that craziness and realize his potential as an agent of chaos, nice way to end so we can speculate what will he do next. Beautiful, yet scary.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm confused, I thought this movie had steller reviews? I just looked at the RT and Metascore and they're nothing special at all.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think it's a movie that's going to continue to split public opinion and there will be lots who don't like it but I love what they've done with this. You know even DC will revert to their more commerical crap soon with Justice League etc so it was nice to get this out.
It's a completely seperate division from DC Cinematic Universe. Think they created this division for more character oriented stories.

Suv666

10/10

Joaquin is on an another level. What a movie! Perfection from start to finish

meamth

I'm confused, I thought this movie had steller reviews? I just looked at the RT and Metascore and they're nothing special at all.
The SJWs and Anti-Guns critics worry more about the message and purposely giving negative reviews to the movie. Thinking this movie can inspire people towards violence...

It's out there, google it up.

meamth

It's a completely seperate division from DC Cinematic Universe. Think they created this division for more character oriented stories.
DCEU is weird as feck.

WW --> MOS --> BVS --> SUICIDE SQUAD --> JL --> AQUAMAN--> (HENRY CAVILL IN DOUBT) & (BRUCE WAYNE CHANGED TO ROBERT PATTINSON) --> SHAZAM!

Separate Universe: Joker.

Not sure how can they continue their universe.

I think they should just stop DCEU and make it like the animated universe, just put the characters in team up movies without actual connection. Could work? Maybe.

RedDevilRoshi

To anyone that has already seen this, does this have any post credits scene or not?

I’m going to see it on Tuesday afternoon and looking to know whether you should stick around for the post credits scene, if there is one, or just head straight for the exits?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
To anyone that has already seen this, does this have any post credits scene or not?

I’m going to see it on Tuesday afternoon and looking to know whether you should stick around for the post credits scene, if there is one, or just head straight for the exits?
Yeah it has quite a long post credit scene which is quite long and gives you a good insight to one of the characters, weirdly it's not immediately after the credits, it's about another 6 minutes after when the lights have come on but it's 100% worth waiting for.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah it has quite a long post credit scene which is quite long and gives you a good insight to one of the characters, weirdly it's not immediately after the credits, it's about another 6 minutes after when the lights have come on but it's 100% worth waiting for.
Totally contradicts what I've read online this morning...

https://www.inverse.com/article/59762-joker-post-credits-scene-after-ending-no-spoilers

https://www.fatherly.com/play/joker-post-credits-scene-ending/

:confused: Are you on a WUM Pexy?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Apparently some critics are a bit peeved over it victimizing a white dude as a victim of modern society? Check yer privelage brah etc.

Just makes me more eager to see it really. Love a good controversy.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yeah he's lying. Actually you need to sit down for longer than that until the lights go down again, through more ads and trailers then a huge post-credit scene plays. It looks very similar to the entire movie you've just watched but stick with it. Also if any cinema staff insist you buy a new ticket tell them to feck off.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah he's lying. Actually you need to sit down for longer than that until the lights go down again, through more ads and trailers then a huge post-credit scene plays. It looks very similar to the entire movie you've just watched but stick with it. Also if any cinema staff insist you buy a new ticket tell them to feck off.
:lol: