Film Joker (2019)

Ahsan_6386

So the trailer of Joker just dropped and it looks great . Joaquin Phoenix seems so perfectly cast and the movie has a real gritty feeling to it unlike other superhero related movies . Have a look at it

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Looks good.

Leto's version really stands out as shite when you see how many good versions of the character there has been. Ledger, Hamill, Nicholson, Romero. Even the young actor on Gotham, as silly as the show is, does a very good Joker.

Edit: Guessing it's a Batman-less Gotham.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Looks surprisingly good. Phoenix is the perfect match for that role.

MadMike

I don't know if the film will be an exceptional movie, but that trailer makes me hopeful that it will be. The cinematography, acting, costumes and angle they are going with seem on point.

I'm a big fan of Phoenix. I rate him among the handful most talented actors of the 30-55 generation, yet he's kinda underrated. There's huge anticipation on this movie and it's a role that allows the actor to showcase his skills. So if he brings this home, he could well end up with another oscar nomination.

I choose to believe.

Hoof the ball

It's a promising sign when Robert Di Niro is on board for a movie such as this. For a while he's been content taking easy-money comedy roles, but he rarely ever takes serious movies without having a lot of faith in the screenplay itself.

Did a quick check on the director and was quite surprised to find that the movie was written and directed by Todd Phillips. His back catalogue of work is almost exclusively cheesy comedies :-

Road Trip
Hangover I, II, and III
Starsky & Hutch
Old School
Due Date

That is, until 2013, until he wrote and directed War Dogs. His first real non-comedic work.

I don't know what this means for the Joker movie, to be honest. He doesn't have a portfolio that would lead me to have an expectations coming into this movie.

Minkaro

Looks good.

Leto's version really stands out as shite when you see how many good versions of the character there has been. Ledger, Hamill, Nicholson, Romero. Even the young actor on Gotham, as silly as the show is, does a very good Joker.

I've read that a young Bruce Wayne (as in a child) appears, but that's it.

Edit: Actually, I'll spoil that, just in case.

Castia

Loving the trailer.

I’ve not enjoyed a single DC film so far though so I’m a bit cautious.

MadMike

I'm loving the memes coming out taking the piss out of Leto's Joker :lol:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Lot of the DC stuff has been poor lately, but this looks good from the trailer though.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Looks good.

Makes me wonder - is it really that hard to be a good joker? It's probably a great role for actors... you just get to be bat shit crazy and do weird things with your face....

Though you could argue that Leto went too weird with it perhaps... though to be fair to him, he was barely in Suicide Squad really.

Nico87

I think I'm in the minorty of one, but I don't like the direction they're going.Most of it's fine but from the trailer them constant beatings making him become "the joker" taking revenge on a society that wronged him is less intresting to me than him doing it without any logical reason.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I think I'm in the minorty of one, but I don't like the direction they're going.Most of it's fine but from the trailer them constant beatings making him become "the joker" taking revenge on a society that wronged him is less intresting to me than him doing it without any logical reason.
The reason could be brain damage too. Multiple beatings and blows to the head can mess you up.

He just doesn't feel the need to tattoo it on his fecking head thankfully.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Looks much better then the Jared Leto BS.

Its always hard to make a joker movie because of how good heath ledger was.

Nonetheless it looks interesting and will for sure be watching.

Dante

Average bang
Seems very generic.

It's almost looks like one of those biopics that sweeps up at the Oscars every year. The subject matter is so familiar that the film only needs to be halfway melodramatic to become a fan favourite. I mean, every time Phoenix sticks his fingers in his mouth, the audience knows what's being alluded to. It's a lazy shortcut to poignancy.

Having a dark, edgy and serious tone is not enough to make a good movie on its own. I really hope they don't lean on that too much to the detriment of the story.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
What is the point of this movie? Everyone is saying it looks great, and yes it has a great actor playing him, but what is the actual story about?

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
What is the point of this movie? Everyone is saying it looks great, and yes it has a great actor playing him, but what is the actual story about?
Joker's origin story. How he lost his mind essentially.

MadMike

Yeah that's obvious. But is he going to do anything? Run amok?
It's the origin story of a villain so it's safe to assume he'll do something bad. You want the actual plot before the movie is out? I'm still not sure what you're after here. It's a trailer, not a review.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yeah that's obvious. But is he going to do anything? Run amok?
He's going to write some strongly worded emails to some companies expressing his utter dissatisfaction with their products, when in reality he hasn't even tried them.

DC should stick to dark like V for Vendetta and Dark Knight. Marvel have the light-hearted, comedic comic book film down to a T, and whenever DC try to replicate it it just looks like a cheap imitation.