Jonathan David

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Would absolutely hate to see him end up there.

He's the top scorer in Ligue 1 currently and just broke Lilles scoring record in 80 less matches than Hazard did.

Would be a great fit for us in ETH's system, ambidextrous, quality finisher, good off ball movement and with a great motor/workrate. Also very unselfish with solid vision to find/create chances for teammates.

Ticks every box that I'd want in a centre forward and he's just 22 and not injury prone like our current no.9.
If they got him and Nkunku then where's poor old Aubameyang to play? :lol:

In fairness Potter likes the 352 doesn't he? So I guess you've room for 3 forwards, particularly if Nkunku can also play wide or deeper.

Nick7

I’ve only seen a single game of his this season but he looked so so heavy. Scored and played well though, so it might just be how he’s built, he doesn’t look particularly heavy in screenshots, it’s odd.

NoPace

I’ve only seen a single game of his this season but he looked so so heavy. Scored and played well though, so it might just be how he’s built, he doesn’t look particularly heavy in screenshots, it’s odd.
He is sort of stocky and some games he doesn't look like he's moving that well over short distances. He is fast over longer ones as he runs hard and well. Sort of a Rooney type upper body but thicker legs.

kaku06

Yeah I noticed that too. I tried to focus on his strengths and other things he brings but all I could see was his fat arse and I couldn’t help but attributed his every mistake to that thick lower part of his.

NoPace

If they got him and Nkunku then where's poor old Aubameyang to play? :lol:

In fairness Potter likes the 352 doesn't he? So I guess you've room for 3 forwards, particularly if Nkunku can also play wide or deeper.
My guess is it's either David or Nkunku coming in this summer and Aubameyang will be sold for a big final payday overseas somewhere or to some team desperate for goals in France or Germany, where he had success.

Drizzle

Poor game from him tonight so far. Wasteful, sloppy. Still not seen him play well - I'm sure he must from time to time!

footballbite

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Looks like a poor mans Martial. Not what we need really.

First time seeing him play. Good work rate and could link play well, however, poor first touch from time to time, terrible decision making and made the least of any chances that came his way.
Perhaps he is better than he showed tonight but I remain to be convinced

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I like David — but come on, we know better than this, he is 100% a total Fabrizio Romano ‘pump ‘n dump’ play.

Who have broken all recent Lille’s transfers? Onana to Everton? Botman to Newcastle? Renato Sanchez to PSG?

Fabrizio Romano have broken all three transactions. I.e. Lille is feeding him that information.

There are 100 transfer journalists. There are surely 3-4 reporters more or less covering Lille full time. Everyone is dying to get a scoop. Why does Lille leak all transactions exclusively to this Italian dude?

It’s 100% quid pro quo. A transfer strategy. You talk up our players, we give you information. Fabrizio is one of the biggest if not the biggest. When he is hyping Jonathan David every chance he gets — it has a big impact. I am not saying that he doesn’t like Jonathan David. But if Jonathan David played for a club that never leaked info to Fabrizio — Fabrizio would never mention him. He is hardly a unique talent.

Jonathan David is rated at 45m at Transfermarkt. That is very very high. I like him, but is he worth more than 15-20m. We can’t be the clowns that falls for every stunt like this paying 50m for someone like David.

Fabrizio Romano is never saying anything that he has not been fed by someone who has a reason for the message to get public.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

He looked nervous tonight. I hav eonly seen him 3/4 times for Lille. Personally dont get the hype though, think its partly outside of the likes of Haaland there arent really that many huge attacking prospects at the moment stiker wise. Looks a decent striker, personally dont think he is a world beater or a player we should be signing....who we should I dont know though

NoPace

Today was a decent example of what he looks like when he's not playing well. Good movement outside the box, works hard and helps his team far more than the average #9 (we dominated Belgium for a reason) and terrible in the air and not brilliant at getting in for a tap in or beating a CB to the near post as he tends to score more off of cutbacks or after the initial ball into the box.

He's sort of like a Gabriel Jesus or Raul if he was good instead of great. He's not anywhere near as frustrating as Martial with his movement in the box, but in order to get to the next level and be really solid 16-18 type goal striker in the prem like a Jota or Callum Wilson or Defoe type he needs to get better at the runs Chicharito and Haaland and those types make. He wants the ball to feet too much, though that might suit Ten Hag okay.

But right now, Larin is the far better striker inside the 6 yard box and about equal inside the 18 and that's not good enough for him to start at United.

The better move might be for him to go somewhere he can have a striker partner, so somewhere they play a 3-5-2 like Inter (would be perfect foil for Lukaku if Lautaro gets a move to here or Atletico or wherever), or even as a lone striker somewhere they press a ton like a better version of Leeds, so I guess a top 5 or 6 Bundesliga side, or a side that play 4-4-2 a fair amount like Villareal.

I could see Aston Villa buying him for like 60M. They have money, Emery was playing 4-4-2 with one box to box wide man for Villareal, and he has the ideal player for that in Ramsey.

Last edited:

poleglass red

He was poor tonight. Needs to show a bit more, that's 2 penalites in 2 games where different players have hit penalties for Canada. He needs to stand up and take responsibility, he hits them regularly for his club. I wouldn't write him off as a lot of done, based on one game, a lot of so called top players have looked poor so far, even De Bruyne didn't look good, and neither did Davies overall. Not sure about him though, and if I were the Canadian manger, I 'd think long and hard about starting Larin in next game.I think nerves definitely got the better of him.

Gordon S

No clue if this guy is good enough for us but i would be careful to rule him because of one bad game.
Even a top quality player like KDB can have bad games, as we saw yesterday.

Chairman Steve

If hes going to be our big striker signing, we better do it quietly before Todd comes in offering £400k a week 20 year contract.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If Weghorst is anything to go by I’d be surprised.
It will depend on how Weghorst actually plays, because from what I'm reading, he doesn't seem to play like your typical 6ft 6 striker. He seems to be a hard defensive presser and running into gaps between defenders to get his goals.

croadyman

It will depend on how Weghorst actually plays, because from what I'm reading, he doesn't seem to play like your typical 6ft 6 striker. He seems to be a hard defensive presser and running into gaps between defenders to get his goals.
Sounds like that would fit us nicely

NoPace

If hes going to be our big striker signing, we better do it quietly before Todd comes in offering £400k a week 20 year contract.
He's been pretty smart with his moves so far, I don't know how much he wants to go compete with 10 guys at Chelsea. I think more likely he'd go to say Aston Villa or replace Zaha at Palace as their main goalscorer, or to a big team in Serie A or Leipzig instead of a big move that will fizzle out.

glasgow 21

Dreary me are we still talking about J.David, did anyone watch him in the World Cup ? nothing sort of useless. A poor man's Emile Heskey and that's putting it mildly. Please please just no.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Dreary me are we still talking about J.David, did anyone watch him in the World Cup ? nothing sort of useless. A poor man's Emile Heskey and that's putting it mildly. Please please just no.
Tell me you’ve never watched him play without telling me you’ve never watched him play with a hint of racism.

Stadjer

Tell me you’ve never watched him play without telling me you’ve never watched him play with a hint of racism.
Not claiming to have ever watched him before or after the World Cup but he didnt look good during the World Cup. Ofcourse it isnt easy to look good for a weaker team (Lewa didnt look as good as he does for his club) but i was disappointed when watching David during the World Cup. There were Manchester United rumours so i did watch with extra interest but from the front 3 of Canada he was the least impressive player. Davies obviously is known as a very good player but Buchanan also had better games.

Im sure he is a better player than how he looked at the World Cup. His name is going around for years as a future top striker and he performs very well in the French league... that wont happen if he really is a bad player.