Jonny Evans | 2010/11 Performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances Forum' started by Red Dreams, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 6, 2011

Decotron Full Member

There might be a bit of a scramble for the more promising young English defenders over the summer. Cahill, Shawcross and even Jones at Blackburn will all be looked at by the bigger teams...
  2. Feb 6, 2011

Hellboy Full Member

He's been a disaster this season, not winning any challenge, every striker in the PL got the better of him.
  3. Feb 6, 2011

Decotron Full Member

Didnt catch the Liverpool match did you?
  4. Feb 6, 2011

olesmyhero Emmy Moses

Don't forget the League Cup. Carlton Cole raped the shit out of him.
  5. Feb 6, 2011

Carl has permanently erect nipples

I fecking hope not.
  6. Feb 6, 2011

untitled_6899 Full Member

His loss of form has been alarming. Almost every single target man he has faced this season has got the better of him and often when Evans does seem to get the ball before him, he gives away a foul.

It seems like he has collapsed mentally and cannot get this weakness out of his mind, he doesn't seem to dominate his area like we expect him to. His fitness is also a big concern as seen with his substitution yesterday.

I feel his shakiness ripples through to the rest of the team and his nervousness on the ball sees him pass it long when under pressure, often losing possession.

He has had a long period out of the first team but that hasn't helped him improve his form. Maybe playing him RB or LB may help him settle. He is capable of playing in these roles and a break from the exposure of CB may help, but I fear that he may not turn out to be the kind of player we hoped and expected him to be.
  7. Feb 6, 2011

I'm always right New Member

What?

I said storey has a point, our defence is simply not as good without Rio. I think Rio is our most important player.

Just to clarify, I said nothing about Evans.
  8. Feb 6, 2011

Hellboy Full Member

So What ? Torres was unfit.
  9. Feb 6, 2011

rotherham_red Full Member

feck off... Seriously, just feck off if you think like that. Where were you when he was besting Torres little under a month ago?
  10. Feb 6, 2011

rotherham_red Full Member

Smalling and calmness... :lol:

This the same Smalling who looks like an antelope when he's dribbling the ball? Who almost put VDS in the shit with an underhit backpass? Dont get me wrong, he's promising, but as a defender, he's clearly has some ways to go. All his potential so far is based on his physical presence and raw attributes, which will be moulded to fit us.

Evans for all his problems in this rough patch, is still a proven quality defender. You dont best the likes of Torres and Drogba, and make Nyron Nosworthy look EPL quality if your a donkey...
  11. Feb 6, 2011

redpie Full Member

I thought Vidic was more at fault for the Wolves goals but that just maybe because he was the only defender who attempted a challenge.
    Not convinced by Evans at all. Like Wes Brown at that age, though not as robust he plays in the same detatched undemonstrative way it is hard to see ever forming a lasting central defence partnership.
  12. Feb 6, 2011

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Your defence always looks crap regardless who plays
  13. Feb 6, 2011

WireRed Full Member

Evans is going to be a top player. I cannot believe how quickly the faith of some people in him has evaporated so quickly. Young player's go through the mill from time to time. It's all part of the maturing process which even great talents experience. Ultimately he'll be a better player and character for it.

I happen to think he's improved when called upon recently anyway. He was superb in marshalling Torres in the cup and wasn't given any more of a hard time than Vidic yesterday. In fact, apart from 20 minutes in the first half, our defence was barely under any pressure.
  14. Feb 6, 2011

vuc First Team Serb

Vidic should have done better on the second.. not to mention he made the foul for the free-kick in the first place.
  15. Feb 6, 2011

esmufc07 Won the Grand National Sweepstake once Scout

How many headers do we conceed when Evans plays?
  16. Feb 6, 2011

Bear Attack Full Member

He was very impressive last season, much more so than Smalling is now. I have no clue what happened to him this summer but if he can get his act together, there is no doubt that he will be Rio's successor.
  17. Feb 7, 2011

Ferguson Full Member

I think Johnny Evans will be sold in the summer.
  18. Feb 7, 2011

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

:lol:
  19. Feb 7, 2011

Alex New Member

He really needs to work on the aerial part of his game, it is too glaring a weakness for a top defender to have. Teams play to his weakness because they know about it and until he improves it, it will make him look like an inferior player
  20. Feb 7, 2011

Chris H Video Posting God

Pretty sure Ferguson said a few weeks ago that Evans has been playing through an ankle injury all season and his poor form was in large part due to that.
  21. Feb 7, 2011

anver Shart stop

If he has an injury, why play him? Its not that we dont have other defenders.

He was given another chance against a bottom of the table team. And he bottled it.
  22. Feb 7, 2011

RedRover Full Member

That remains to be seen. Her never seems to look calm on the ball, is poor in the air and has made far too many mistakes this year.

A good defender has composure and inspsires the players around him. Its difficult to have confidence in Evans as a fan at the minute, let alone as a team mate.

We'll see next year whether he is going to be the player he looked like being. If he can turn it around then fair play to him, but Smalling must soon move ahead of him in the pecking order based on current form.
  23. Feb 7, 2011

olesmyhero Emmy Moses

I'd imagine Smalling is Rio's successor and Evans is Vidic's. Smalling seems to play more like Rio, and Evans, when he's actually playing well, tends to play like Vidic.
  24. Feb 7, 2011

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

He needs to bulk up, although I don't think he was that bad against Wolves, however he loses a very large no. of aerial battles against strikers(which is kinda strange as he has kept Drogba quiet on 2 occasions). Still think he is a quality player and he will be our future center back for the coming seasons.

Off topic but how fecking good did Smalling looked in his cameo.
  25. Feb 7, 2011

Trigg aka Trippin_Stoned

I think Smalling is the better of the two at the moment, I'm much happier with Smalling and Vidic than Evans and Vidic.
  26. Feb 7, 2011

Decotron Full Member

Smalling has looked pretty dodgy at times this year aswell. Given Rafaels form and in the face of Rio's fitness I really think O'Shea could be the short term answer....
  27. Feb 7, 2011

I'm always right New Member

Big fan of Smalling, I'd prefer to see JOS in there over Evans right now. I've honestly never seen a dip in form like it, from looking like the best young centre half in the country to a guy who can be totally and utterly dominated, it's baffling.
  28. Feb 7, 2011

Shimo Full Member

For those asking why Smalling wasn't played, SAF said that when Rio got hurt, Smalling had to get drafted into the squad and Evans had already warmed up otherwise normally he would have played Smalling in there.

Evans needs some games where he can just get back to being Evans. He is perpetually angry right now because a lot of things aren't going his way. If I feel he is getting a lot of crap calls then wonder how he feels.

Evans usually plays well in big games but, don't think SAF has that much confidence him right now so won't play against Shitty. Still think a couple of games to go well for him and he'll be back. Still hell of a talent and defender as we've seen in the past, needs to just get over this hump.

Carrick had a similar long slip in form and now playing quite well. Don't write Evans off yet being quite a bit younger and has time to improve
  29. Feb 7, 2011

KGBhoy Full Member

On the first goal, I think it was Evans' fault. He is not marking anyone and Vidic attacks the ball when he sees it played in. Evans is just watching it go over his head.
  30. Feb 11, 2011

Ekeke Full Member

Well you can believe it no longer. It was the latter. And if Evans does want to merit being ahead of Smalling in the pecking order, he's going to need to put in those kinds of performances as against Liverpool more often.
  31. Feb 22, 2011

Sir Matt Blue Devil

I wondered this on Saturday, but is Evans hurt? Or is he just really deep in Fergie's dog house(horse stable might be more apropos)?
  32. Feb 22, 2011

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

Since July in NYC :) Before in Manchester+Hamburg
    He`s injured.
  33. Feb 22, 2011

Doogie Full Member

Pretty sure he was actually injured.

That being said, Wes Brown had the captain's armband so he's possibly settled his difference with Fergie (if there was any). If that's the case I can see him being played rather then Evans, with Smalling still being first choice after Rio and Vidic.
  34. Feb 22, 2011

Sir Matt Blue Devil

I thought he was but couldn't remember for sure. Thanks.
  35. Feb 22, 2011

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    still think Brown is gone this summer.
  36. Feb 22, 2011

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    I'd hope not, I love Wes Brown.
  37. Mar 1, 2011

elmo Can never have too many Eevees

Manchester United boss Ferguson backs Jonny Evans to be team's rock

Jonny Evans has the support of the man who matters most as he aims to prove his doubters wrong.

The Northern Ireland defender has gone through a tough time this season, with question marks being raised about his long-term future at Manchester Untied after a couple of below par displays.

In particular Evans has been haunted by his performance in a 4-0 Carling Cup defeat to West Ham, when he was substituted with 18 minutes to go.

Crucially, however, Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson has firmly backed the Belfast-born centre-half.

Ferguson sees Evans having a part to play for years to come and while Chris Smalling has moved ahead of him in the pecking order at present, the United manager believes they will eventually form a partnership to rival the legendary duo of Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister — as well as the current pairing of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand.

“That’s the way I look upon it,” said Ferguson.

“They’re young, but Evans, for example has already played a lot of games for us.

“He played almost three quarters of the matches last season. He is well grounded in terms of what’s needed here. His time will come.”

Evans’ appearances since that Upton Park defeat in November have been fleeting, but Ferguson did show enough faith in the 23-year-old to put him into the team that faced Liverpool in the FA Cup third round.

That may have been a tactical move by Ferguson, with Evans having kept Fernando Torres — who played for Liverpool that day in one of his final appearances before his £50million move to Chelsea — quiet when he made his Northern Ireland debut against Spain back in 2006.

He played alongside Ferdinand that day, but Evans has shown that he can compliment Vidic as well, having formed a solid partnership with the Serb when Ferdinand spent a large period of last season on the sidelines.

Vidic and Evans also played most of the games when United went 12 games without conceding a goal during the 2009-10 campaign.

“One of the first things I said to Martin Edwards when I first came to United was, ‘you don’t have very good partnerships at the centre of defence’ and the goalkeeping situation was never a regular thing either.” said Ferguson.

“When we got Peter Schmeichel, Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister it was an incredible turnaround in consistency.

“The knowledge they gathered together, particularly with Bruce and Pallister, gave them that understanding and they seldom missed games.

“That’s something you build over time. Partnerships are vitally important. We’ve seen that with Nemanja and Rio and hopefully Jonny and Chris can develop that too.”

Manchester United boss Ferguson backs Jonny Evans to be team's rock - Premier League, Football - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk
  38. Mar 1, 2011

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Seconded
  39. May 5, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Thought he had a good game last night.

This whole season is going to go down as a learning experience for him but performances like last night and against the dippers in the FA Cup are a useful reminder of his quality.
  40. May 5, 2011

Solius Bearded Scholes admirer Staff

Yep he was good, thought he was better than Smalling. The quality has always been there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.