Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

mufcwarm92

What a load of utter shite I'm reading. He's been our best defender this year. He got trapped behind the keeper by a couple of seconds of ball watching - a bad mistake but one of very few he's made all season. Ridiculous that he's being written off on here. You genuinely think Koscielny and Mertesacker - probably the best partnership in the league - are better players individually? He's as good/better and if we find a coherent unit people will be eating their words.

Getsme

I think Vidic was at his absolute peak at that point and covered a lot for his inadequacies. That duo was an acceptable partnership at the highest level because Vidic was the best CB in the world and Evans was/is a good player. A truly exceptional partnership requires two great players such as Ferdinand-Vidic or Bruce-Pallister. Stam similarly carried Johnson to a level higher than he would be capable under "normal" circumstances.
Ooh come on FFS.

finneh

Ooh come on FFS.

I don't really understand what's wrong with saying he's a good player who will always be a great option to have, but is never going to be top class. Does anyone really believe he has the potential to be as good as Vidic, Stam or Ferdinand?

To be honest I wouldn't mind giving him a run of games with Jones in defence. Lets be honest he's no worse than Cahill, Vermaelen, Nastasic, Skrtrl etc. The difference of course is that they have either a better partner in defence or a better midfield protecting them. In my mind he's the perfect 3rd choice centre back.

Shimo

No wonder we keep conceding whenever evans is in there. If that is our first choice center back then god help us.

Yeah he is the common denominator in our defensive frailties all season .... not the overall team displays and lot of individual mistakes by others.

SATA

26 is still pretty young in terms of age for a defender, i reckon he will be a complete defender when he reaches 28, 29 provided he stays injury free and plays regularly. Not everyone is born good to do what they do like Maldini or Nesta really

MoneyMay

Had to sort copyright issues, but here's Evans' best passes this season.

LvG will have him as first choice.

Tarrou

Great video, thanks for posting. It's definitely Evans + 1 as far as first choice 11 goes.

pascell

The problem with Evans is that he misses lengthy parts of the season due to injury, something we can ill afford when aiming to gain a consistent back 4 to build our team on.

MoneyMay

Right foot, left foot, his distribution is really good. He was definitely our best CB last season (having watched our games again).

He just needs a very good run of games now, and I have no doubt that with that - his confidence and composure would be augmented - we'll see him as a leader in defence.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
So glad he now gets the recognition he deserves. Still can't believe people doubted his future at United purely based on a few mistakes.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
After watching that video, I have just learned that Evans is actually two-footed. He looks comfortable with either foot, and this will make him a very useful asset under van Gaal.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I've been saying it for years, the only problem with Evans is his inability to stay fit throughout the season. At his best, he's one of the best defenders in the league and with his experience at his relatively young age, he could very well end up as one of the best defenders in the world, all subject to him actually staying fit though.

Loon

:lol:
I think Evans is the only defender in our side with a brain. Smalling and Jones are last-ditch tacklers and prone to being caught out. I think Evans would really come into his own if he were partnered with a top notch defender. Be interesting to see him play alongside Hummels.

Loublaze

ATLien

Had to sort copyright issues, but here's Evans' best passes this season.

LvG will have him as first choice.
Mostly crosses in the video, just saying. Evans is on an equal playing field now with Smalling and Jones. All three will have to impress LVG.

Gannicus

If Jonny can cut out the bonehead mistakes he'd be a top class defender. I'd like to see him Erik on his athleticism as well. But the potential for greatness is obvious.

Fergies Formula

He needs to get more physical and be more intimidating, right now he is sometimes easy to play against and gets bullied by big guys. A striker would never fear coming up against him. Granted he is silky with the ball but thats not everything, there is a reason he isn't really rated outside of the united fan base.