Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Aaron

thought he was excellent when he came on today, great to see.

could well get a run of 5-6 games with Rio and Vida out

dev1l

very good game ...was better than vidic today imo

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
very good game ...was better than vidic today imo
Agreed. Both Ferdy and Vida were well off the pace today just as they were last Sunday as a matter of fact. If the two of them are out however I'd start Smalling and Jones above Evans' still. He's been good just not as good as either of those two and they also add the ability to play the ball out from the back which is underdeveloped in Evans. Still glad to see him looking something like the Evans that played in the Champions League quarter finals of 2008/09.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I think Rio and Vidic might have some issues trying to break back into the first team. Evans, Smalling and Jones all look very, very good imo.

vuc

First Team Serb
Agreed. Both Ferdy and Vida were well off the pace today just as they were last Sunday as a matter of fact. If the two of them are out however I'd start Smalling and Jones above Evans' still. He's been good just not as good as either of those two and they also add the ability to play the ball out from the back which is underdeveloped in Evans. Still glad to see him looking something like the Evans that played in the Champions League quarter finals of 2008/09.
Off the pace? I think Vidic made one mistake, he made more clearances and interceptions than any other defender.

Rio was barely troubled, and didn't do anything wrong to speak of. How is that off the pace?

Evans had very little to do today, fair play he didn't make mistakes which is positive but this hyping him up is very reminiscent of what happened last year and look what happened then..

manusteve

I prefer Smalling and Jones as a central pairing. Evans has shown time and again that he can be physically intimidated.

I was also amused when he had a go at De Gea for not asking for the ball when Evans was messing around near the corner. Yeah, like you haven't made an error in defence after your first competitive game?

lysglimt

Scout
Thought he looked very assured when he came on today.
He takes charge when he comes on - that indicates that his confidence is high again. The last 2 games - he hasn't only looked a decent defender again - he has looked a leader!

Wan

Off the pace? I think Vidic made one mistake, he made more clearances and interceptions than any other defender.

Rio was barely troubled, and didn't do anything wrong to speak of. How is that off the pace?

Evans had very little to do today, fair play he didn't make mistakes which is positive but this hyping him up is very reminiscent of what happened last year and look what happened then..
His performances was great for his age back then, people praise him for that. What's wrong with that? We can't praise players not from Serbia now?

:rolleyes:

vuc

First Team Serb
His performances was great for his age back then, people praise him for that. What's wrong with that? We can't praise players not from Serbia now?

:rolleyes:
Mate, people are praising him for this season where he has hardly been tested at all. All I am saying is that it is very reminiscent of previous threads praising him, and how did it all end last year? Get a grip this has nothing to do with Serbia, and you seem to only ever post about that to me. Slightly annoying.

Ace

I prefer Smalling and Jones as a central pairing. Evans has shown time and again that he can be physically intimidated.
I was also amused when he had a go at De Gea for not asking for the ball when Evans was messing around near the corner. Yeah, like you haven't made an error in defence after your first competitive game?
Tell that to Drogba :keano:

In all honesty he's looked assured in his appearances of late, and looks to be up for a little competition for his position. That's all you can ask of him at the moment.

bergen

Author of gayest thread 07/08
Evans is a fantastic player, had a bit of a dip in form but he'll still be at the club and highly rated by manager and most sane fans in 6 years time, I guarantee it.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think Rio and Vidic might have some issues trying to break back into the first team. Evans, Smalling and Jones all look very, very good imo.
Don't get too excited there fella! The best center back pairing in the premier league will have trouble breaking into the team and more over the captain of the club is going to have trouble breaking into the first team?

GAngel

Evans is currently a much better player than phil jones is. Jones is a good kid but lets not get carried away and let him mature into what looks to be a quality player.

fatboy

We have 3 of the best young central defenders in the country. That's really fantastic for the club, and it's all thanks to Fergie's foresight.

Evans has had a tough time ... good to see him playing with confidence again.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
It's strange to me that Smalling and Jones are already rated higher than Evans by a good number of posters on this forum. He had a poor season by his standards last year but he's still one of the best young cb's in world football and he's got buckets more experience than the other two. I'm backing him to have a great season this year and get back on track.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
It's strange to me that Smalling and Jones are already rated higher than Evans by a good number of posters on this forum. He had a poor season by his standards last year but he's still one of the best young cb's in world football and he's got buckets more experience than the other two. I'm backing him to have a great season this year and get back on track.
I think he'll play buckets of football this year. He seems to be prefered at centre half to Smalling and with Rio picking up injuies so often Evans will play 30 odd games this year.

I hope he regains the confidence and form he had before and if he does we are so set up at the back its funny. Wenger would do anything for our young defensive talent.

Ace

I think he'll play buckets of football this year. He seems to be prefered at centre half to Smalling and with Rio picking up injuies so often Evans will play 30 odd games this year.

I hope he regains the confidence and form he had before and if he does we are so set up at the back its funny. Wenger would do anything for our young defensive talent.
I don't know how true that is.

Smalling has shown he's more than just average at right back, that's why he's moved across to the flank with our injuries. I'd expect him to play a lot of games centrally.

Irwinwastheking

I don't know how true that is.

Smalling has shown he's more than just average at right back, that's why he's moved across to the flank with our injuries. I'd expect him to play a lot of games centrally.
You could be right of course, but I'm taking it that SAF's prefering Evans to Smalling in the middle as opposed to Smalling being prefered as a Right Back. I'm sure Smalling would rather play in the middle.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
You could be right of course, but I'm taking it that SAF's prefering Evans to Smalling in the middle as opposed to Smalling being prefered as a Right Back. I'm sure Smalling would rather play in the middle.
But we´ve got a lack of full-backs, which means bring the most able deputy out wide. Which is Smalling, not Evans or Jones.

manusteve

But we´ve got a lack of full-backs, which means bring the most able deputy out wide. Which is Smalling, not Evans or Jones.
So with Evra returning, you wouldn't prefer Fabio at right-back?

I would, with Smalling and Jones in the centre (they have previous with the England U21's).

However, it does seem that SAF will play Smalling at RB with Jones and Evans in the centre.

Irwinwastheking

I would, with Smalling and Jones in the centre (they have previous with the England U21's).

However, it does seem that SAF will play Smalling at RB with Jones and Evans in the centre.
I'd rather see Smalling and Evans as the main back up pair myself. As was said already, Evans is at this point a more complete centre back that Jones.

marjen

In that case, Fabio would play at right back and Evans/Jones or Evans/Smalling would play in the centre of the defence, unless SAF actually prefers Smalling as a RB as the situation stands.

Could also be a case of wanting a more physical presence in case he needs to cover inside. (The Crouch.)

Ace

That's what I was saying. Looking at last year, Ferguson seemed to prefer Smalling. Considering our injuries (and depth at centerback) he can afford to move Smalling to right back, where he's played very well, with Evans and Jones to play centrally.

Oldham

Will be nice to see Evans tonight, I'm confident that our young defenders will do well in the next couple of games.

It'll be funny to see when Smalling goes through a rough time with dip in form, how people on this forum react...

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
So much talk about all the others. But a shout out to Evans. Thought he was superb. Loads of pace too.

Mickey

Stop paying attention to this a while ago
Will be nice to see Evans tonight, I'm confident that our young defenders will do well in the next couple of games.

It'll be funny to see when Smalling goes through a rough time with dip in form, how people on this forum react...
Theyll call him shit. And i fully expect to see the "If he becomes half as good as brown, he'll be a great squad player to come off the bench for us" like evans got during his dip in form.

Fans are fickle.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Earned me fantasy points. Well done Evans. Shame about the booking though;)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Brilliant today (this is about the 4th time I've said that about various players).

Hope he keeps this going and last season was just a blip.

marjen

Stronger, more confident, pacier, and today he took charge as the leader of our defence when many changes were made.

Evans is back, as the sane of us said, and not ready to give up his place as heir to Ferdinand/Vida without a fight! Encouraging stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.