Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
its funny how the centre backs are always the ones to blame. How about the fullbacks, actually, you know, try to cut out the crosses into the box in the first place?

2 assists from Tony Hibbert ffs

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The way United play full backs you need solidity in central defence and Evans isn't really good enough when really put under pressure. It looked like Everton targeted him as the weak link today TBH. He would make most PL teams of course but we really need Vidic back.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think so because he was terrible particularly in the second half.
he was not at his best, but the way some of you have reacted you'd think he went out with a blind fold on in the 2nd half. Ludicrous. Collectively the defending was poor, but i was more pissed off with the 2 fullbacks defensively.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He was really really bad. Schoolboy CB errors with the basics like not closing players down and ball watching. Agreed the FBs weren't great, only Rio looked up for it TBH, but CB's are meant to save our arse from our rather cavalier approach to attacking FB's and Evans was found really wanting. I can't wait until Vidic is fit again and hopefully back to his best.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The bottom line is that I don't think Evans will ever be quite good enough to be more than a back up CB for United. There. I've said it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He was really really bad. Schoolboy CB errors with the basics like not closing players down and ball watching. Agreed the FBs weren't great, only Rio looked up for it TBH, but CB's are meant to save our arse from our rather cavalier approach to attacking FB's and Evans was found really wanting. I can't wait until Vidic is fit again and hopefully back to his best.
The bottom line is that I don't think Evans will ever be quite good enough to be more than a back up CB for United. There. I've said it.
Any particular reason you've waited almost an entire season to express these concerns?

Might it be because he's proven himself an extremely solid, competent young central defender? Someone who's come bloody close to making us not miss Vidic at all.

I'm well used to knee-jerking after a defeat but honestly, this thread takes it to a whole new level. It's like the season started at noon today. Makes my head spin...

Lastwolf

Bar the one, both he and Rio went for, I can't see how he was really at fault for the other goals.

Everytime we went up the team seem to switch off and let Everton attack, the whole team was defensively naive. They had free rein and plenty of time on the ball to do whatever they wanted, if we play like that against City, we will be battered.

It's subjective and rather easy to say this would have never happened with Vidic, it's not like we've never dropped points with Vidic in the team. I'm a disappointed as anyone that we didn't walk away with 3 points but Evans wasn't the primary or sole person that was in the wrong.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I think he's good enough to be a really good back up though; him and Rio are not a great pairing in lots respects. Neither of them has any real drive or attacks the ball. The are better at reading the game and with the ball at their feet. Evans may never be CB number 1 or 2, but as squads go he's superb I think.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Bar the one, both he and Rio went for, I can't see how he was really at fault for the other goals.

Everytime we went up the team seem to switch off and let Everton attack, the whole team was defensively naive. They had free rein and plenty of time on the ball to do whatever they wanted, if we play like that against City, we will be battered.

It's subjective and rather easy to say this would have never happened with Vidic, it's not like we've never dropped points with Vidic in the team. I'm a disappointed as anyone that we didn't walk away with 3 points but Evans wasn't the primary or sole person that was in the wrong.
We only have to look at last seasons 3-3 with Vidic in the side to dispel that argument. Funnily enough Evertons 3rd goal was near identical to todays, Vidic and O'Shea both challenging for a header and Arteta blasting the loose ball in. It can happen to the best of them.

Sally Cinnamon

He didn't have a terrible game today. He ballsed up for Everton's third. The fourth goal wasn't Evans fault it was Rafael's - he was marking Pienaar and let him go.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think he's good enough to be a really good back up though; him and Rio are not a great pairing in lots respects. Neither of them has any real drive or attacks the ball. The are better at reading the game and with the ball at their feet. Evans may never be CB number 1 or 2, but as squads go he's superb I think.
Probably. Shame we need a back up for so long. We would be champions (or in effect so) by now if Vidic were fit.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Any particular reason you've waited almost an entire season to express these concerns?

Might it be because he's proven himself an extremely solid, competent young central defender? Someone who's come bloody close to making us not miss Vidic at all.

I'm well used to knee-jerking after a defeat but honestly, this thread takes it to a whole new level. It's like the season started at noon today. Makes my head spin...
I haven't. He makes me nervous every time I watch a game but I usually avoid the football forum particularly on match day but he was really rubbish today and may have cost us the PL title if City expose him again.

I watch games with an Irish mate and we have both been nervous about him off to each other for most of the season. Admittedly he is much better than he used to be. I used to groan when I saw him on the team sheet.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Why do people keep saying that he didn't have that bad a game because he was only at fault for one goal? One goal is enough for a bad game if you hadn't really done much positive during it. I'd be very worried if he'd been at fault for more than one. It wasn't just that, either. He generally had an all-round poor game and looked shaky throughout.

golden_blunder

Staff
Bruce and Pallister used to win most things in the air, but for some reason they couldn't handle Duncan ferguson. No one is perfect

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I think the difference is that Vidic also has the ability to play like a ground and pound DM and Rio then sweeps up.

With Evans and Rio neither does this so there are more gaps between Carrick and the back two. I am nervous about City but feck it. Evans has had these tests and stood up with flying colours on more than one occasion. It springloaded him into the vein of form that he is(was) in right now.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Why do people keep saying that he didn't have that bad a game because he was only at fault for one goal? One goal is enough for a bad game if you hadn't really done much positive during it. I'd be very worried if he'd been at fault for more than one. It wasn't just that, either. He generally had an all-round poor game and looked shaky throughout.
He was at fault for 2 and probably 3 of our goals and these weren't the only times that he was at fault, just those where they scored.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I thought he was partially to blame for the 2nd, he didn't get tight to Fellainus and he was able to turn and shoot without any real pressure quite close to goal.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
At fault for 3 goals now? Nonsense.

Other than being a defender on the pitch at the time they scored anyway.
1 directly and at least 1 other and probably 2 due to poor positioning. Rio was left high and dry for both of the last two goals. Players like Vidic and Rio do what is expected and a great deal more. Evans doesn't even do what you would expect when properly tested. Of course he isn't shit but he isn't good enough to be first choice - which as someone pointed out he isn't.

This was Everton FFS and not Barca.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If we don't win the PL, and I think we still can, it will be this game and Wigan that we will look to.

Liam147

On Probation
The defending on the whole wasn't good enough today, but when you concede four it's not going to be is it? For that third goal, I couldn't understand why Rio and Evans jumped with Fellaini. Watching it back Rio tells Rafael to stay with Jelavic, I'm not sure why, but there isn't much you can do when someone clearly taller and better in the air than you wins a header, it's then up to the next guy to win the ball, which Rafael didn't do. So I wouldn't blame them for that one, but the second goal you might ask questions.

fecking hell I cannot believe we've drawn that game. Yes we might beat City next week and it'll all be irrelevant, but still, we should not be in this position.

Varun

Staff
He's been brilliant all season..

Its ridiculous how some can go from laughing at him not being nominated for the player of the year awards to calling him someone who'l always be a squad player and nothing more.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He's been brilliant all season..

Its ridiculous how some can go from laughing at him not being nominated for the player of the year awards to calling him someone who'l always be a squad player and nothing more.
Mostly competent not brilliant.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Not letting up when 2 goals ahead is a tough trick to learn, momentary lapses of concentration are part of the game. I think Evans will get to the point sooner rather than later when we don't have to worry about that anymore.

CBs don't mature till they're in their late 20s, we'll have to accept the growing pains for him, as well as those with Smalling and Jones.

Cold_Boy

:lol:

Unbelievable!

One game and he should be dropped?

What about the rest of the season when he was our best defender?

Rio made mistakes too but no one dare suggest he be dropped and rightly so.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
1 directly and at least 1 other and probably 2 due to poor positioning. Rio was left high and dry for both of the last two goals. Players like Vidic and Rio do what is expected and a great deal more. Evans doesn't even do what you would expect when properly tested. Of course he isn't shit but he isn't good enough to be first choice - which as someone pointed out he isn't.

This was Everton FFS and not Barca.
That makes no sense, at any level.

The Fellaini knock-down goal involved both our centre-halves competing for the same header and losing out. That's the most obvious error from Evans but maybe he didn't get a call? Also worth pointing out that he actually got a piece of the ball. How that constitutes leaving Rio "high and dry" is beyond me.

The other ball involved Fellaini getting a ball into his feet, inside the box, and laying it off to a completely unmarked runner from midfield. Evans was the closest defender to Fellaini but there's not much he could have done against a player that big and strong getting a simple pass into his feet. God knows if he'd got any tighter and conceded a pen the pitchforks would be out regardless. That goal was all about the pass into Fellaini and Pienaar running off Rafael so easily. "High and dry" my arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.