Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Most of our players have had patches of very good form, but few have had a season of consistently playing at their highest level. I think that's probably why we're likely to come up just a little short in the end.
It's very unusual for any of our players to go a whole season without dips in form. Looking at the season as a whole, I'd say Carrick, Valencia and Evans have been our three most consistent performers. Maybe Rio too. I think we probably needed to add a couple more names to that list if we were to get past a City side that's stacked with expensive megastars and had barely any injuries to speak of.

DevilRed

To be fair Jonny is no worse than a young Rio Ferdinand. I'm not saying he is as good or will get to that level, although it is possible, but he has shown inconsistencies in his defending just like all young defenders do.

The everton match was a perfect example of that. He was not to blame for all the goals but it was clear that fellaini got the better of him in one on one duels which led to us conceding four at the end of the day. I was shocked that he was dropped for the derby but not surprised because Fergie clearly was upset about the way we threw away those three points and the main culprits were Rafael and Evans.

However, its highly debatable whether Chris Smalling was a good replacement taking into factor he hasn't played in over a month now. The same could be said of Jones to a lesser extent. I don't think either played poorly by any stretch of the imagination but in a match of that magnitude it only takes one mistake to lose and unfortunately for us Smalling made that mistake against kompany. Whether or not Evans would have done better is subjective and we could argue about it for the rest of our lives and never come to a conclusion.

It goes without saying though that Evans has improved by leaps and bounds this season and is one of the main reasons why we were top of the league going into the derby. If he can continue to improve I don't see why he can't nail down the Centre Back spot for the forseeable future at Manchester United. Once he cuts out on the mistakes, inconsistencies and the odd nightmare performance then he will easily be one of the best defenders in English football.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Why wasn't he on the pitch?
Because he had to make a split second decision, and unfortunately got sent off.

It happens to lots of defenders. If we're talking about getting sent off in big games, thank feck we had Evans on the pitch over Vidic for most of the season.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Fair enough. I hoped for more from him. As Fergie and people on here pointed out about a month ago, he was on a very good run of form, which made it all the more annoying when he turned to shit in the last few weeks.
As, unfortunately did most of our team. Still, bodes well for next season though right?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
As, unfortunately did most of our team. Still, bodes well for next season though right?
I hope so. I still think Evans can become a very good player, or at least an able defender to step in when needed.

MikeUpNorth

Because he got sent off.

It's not as though world class central defenders having excellent seasons for us in the past haven't done exactly the same thing, is it?
Because he had to make a split second decision, and unfortunately got sent off.

It happens to lots of defenders. If we're talking about getting sent off in big games, thank feck we had Evans on the pitch over Vidic for most of the season.
I think we can all agree he doesn't hold a candle to Vidic yet.

MikeUpNorth

No. I can't. Because IMO Evans couldn't have done much more this season. He's been absolutely fantastic.
Ah, whatever. It's clearly ridiculous to suggest he's on Vidic's level. I can't be bothered with the conversation if we're pretending to have this level of delusion.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Ah, whatever. It's clearly ridiculous to suggest he's on Vidic's level. I can't be bothered with the conversation if we're pretending to have this level of delusion.
Has Evans been one of our best players this season? IMO he's up there with the best. Only Carrick and Valencia have been better than him IMO.

Vidic is world class, and probably is better than Evans. But Evans this season has proven time and time again he belongs in the upper level of defenders in the league. He's been amazing.

Stretch

So now Evans is being compared to Vidic in his prime to downplay how good Evans has been this season? Am I getting this right? Good lawd...

dev1l

even if they both play in centreal defence, vidic and evans are different players. Evans is better at getting the ball out of the defence while Vidic is more of the old style tough as nails defender.
I have no idea whether evans will be good as vidic becaause he s relatively young and vidic started to be the vidic we know today when he was older than evans today.
However, i m sure that if vidic was playing instead of smalling yesterday, we would not have conceded that goal. Vidic is at his best when dealing with crosses and in that respect we have no one else who is remotely as good. (though Jones looks very promising)

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Seriously, how often is it that a player goes through a season without having dips in form or performing badly in some matches? I can't remember the last United player who did that, and it's easy to talk about crucial games and where we might have lost it, but you still have to get into that position first. Even after that, we might have won yesterday and made the recent lost points irrelevant, and no more 'crucial' or important than earlier losses/draws in the campaign.

On a site note, Evans is of course, not near Vidic yet, and I doubt he will ever match his peak.

manusteve

I think we missed Evans greatly last night. His development this season has been great to see...and he defends more assuredly than Smalling and Jones.
He does get booked for trying to get in before the attacker but I'd rather see that level of aggression and desire than say, Smalling's rather reserved way of defending.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
"We were unlucky with Evans' injury against Everton. I should've taken him off but he wanted to stay on and he struggled for the second half and is now he's out probably for the season."

This kind of things really pisses me off. We knew he was injured and could sub him off when we were leading 3-1 around 60th, or when we were leading 4-2 around 70th minute, but no, Fergie waited 86 minutes for first substitution. Why?

vuc

First Team Serb
Has Evans been one of our best players this season? IMO he's up there with the best. Only Carrick and Valencia have been better than him IMO.

Vidic is world class, and probably is better than Evans. But Evans this season has proven time and time again he belongs in the upper level of defenders in the league. He's been amazing.
Probably is? :lol:

Comon man, this is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.