4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Varun

Staff
No doubt he's playing quite poorly but I think calls to get rid are a little premature. I think we're all a bit impatient sometimes. He's had his injuries this season and players react differently and recover differently and re-find their form/confidence in different ways. I'm still confident he'll turn it around. An on-form Evans is a fine player.
We need better defenders and if we sign them, we will be selling atleast 1 we have. Unfortunately for Evans, it looks like it'l be him atm.

Getsme

We need better defenders and if we sign them, we will be selling atleast 1 we have. Unfortunately for Evans, it looks like it'l be him atm.
At the moment I'd agree, however, given our injury record at the back we would need to get more than 1 CB in before we even think of selling anyone.

Varun

Staff
At the moment I'd agree, however, given our injury record at the back we would need to get more than 1 CB in before we even think of selling anyone.
With Van Gaal, the perennially injured will be asked to leave I reckon which is why I fear for the likes of Jones and Smalling. So much potential but can't stay fit.

Getsme

With Van Gaal, the perennially injured will be asked to leave I reckon which is why I fear for the likes of Jones and Smalling. So much potential but can't stay fit.
Indeed, you need a solid foundation to build a team, at the moment ours is built on sand. It’s a shame, we have the players, they just can’t stay fit :(

Fergies Formula

Your reluctance to respond to my measured post showed your worth.

I argued my point so obviously there is a point in discussing it further. You might have chosen to point out flaws in what I wrote or you might have provided a different argument. You chose neither, you prefered simply making a hyperbolic assertion. it's not me making discussion futile here. But yes, we can leave that aside since your claim was that he made several errors. I wondered which. You managed to provide me with an answer after a bit of struggle. You're hard work. But thanks for that, I am now satisfied (but not in agreement with you).
You will notice he does this a lot.

Fergies Formula

Im being serious here, but are you on drugs?
Your a moron and have been exposed time and time again, not just by me by others.

You are the one who decides to evade questions and didn't respond to my perfectly legit discussion, you have become irrational and just because you couldn't answer have resorted to juvenile insults.

Futile is the perfect description of your behaviour.

Getsme

Your a moron and have been exposed time and time again, not just by me by others.

You are the one who decides to evade questions and didn't respond to my perfectly legit discussion, you have become irrational and just because you couldn't answer have resorted to juvenile insults.

Futile is the perfect description of your behaviour.
Insult the post not the poster, naughty naughty, tut tut.

Fergies Formula

Will be interesting to see if Evans plays today, if he does he will have to show some strength as he has come under a lot of warranted criticism this week.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I hope he does start today. If we go back to a back 4 in the PL I don't think he'll be involved and I don't want to see one of the first choice's fitness risked with our record. Plus a game like this might be good for his confidence.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm hopeful he starts today in a back three with the two young lads (but more-so because that means we can leave Smalling and Jones out to hopefully avoid rushing them into playing too many games after recent injuries). Once we have some midfield players back and the defenders fit, I'm confident that Evans will be left out of the team in favour of Smalling/Jones and Rojo, with Carrick being the deep midfield player in a diamond who slots into a back three when needed. Evans' only saving grace and the reason he's been in the team so much for my money is that he's not as injury prone as the rest (seemingly). Sure, he's had his fair share of injuries too, but actually being fit and available is one of the most important things to get any kind of consistency going (although he's been consistently bad or average IMO for about a season and a half at least).

At the moment, without trying to be too harsh on the guy, I think he's the most likely out of our current defenders to move on in the Summer.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Well MK Dons, I don't think anyone can look back at that with any pride. A poor backpass yes but bloody hell, what players don't commit the odd shit back pass, especially defenders with the instruction to play it out. Also, how dare a player get bullied by Benteke lol the guy is a beast.

Again, I don't want my backing of him to look like I'm blind to his poor performances but there is no way he is as bad as many want him to be. He shouldn't be made a scapegoat for us wanting a world class CB, that's not his fault, it's the clubs fault.
Edit: Sorry thought I was in the Smalling thread haha.

He hasn't been as awful as he's made out to be, no, but what's disappointing is he has shown no leadership as our most senior defender.

Still a WC CB may help him a lot.

RoadTrip

Will be interesting to see if Evans plays today, if he does he will have to show some strength as he has come under a lot of warranted criticism this week.
Certainly. The most disappointing thing about Evans is that he has shown virtually no leadership in a defence where he is the most senior player.

Fergies Formula

Certainly. The most disappointing thing about Evans is that he has shown virtually no leadership in a defence where he is the most senior player.
The reason being leadership isn't a natural quality of his. Someone who struggles with confidence will always struggle to project leadership.

Will be interesting to see how well he fares at a lesser club when he eventually moves on.

I would like nothing more than him to turn this around and become the player we need but there is a sense of inevitability about the situation.

Loublaze

ATLien
Well MK Dons, I don't think anyone can look back at that with any pride. A poor backpass yes but bloody hell, what players don't commit the odd shit back pass, especially defenders with the instruction to play it out. Also, how dare a player get bullied by Benteke lol the guy is a beast.

Again, I don't want my backing of him to look like I'm blind to his poor performances but there is no way he is as bad as many want him to be. He shouldn't be made a scapegoat for us wanting a world class CB, that's not his fault, it's the clubs fault.
He's not a scapegoat, he's simply not good enough for United. Evans is bullied by any strong forward with a burst of speed. That forward from MK Dons raped him for their fourth and he almost even scored a fifth goal. I guess Evans gets a pass for losing out to 'beasts' of players. What an excuse. How come Smalling doesn't have the same problems against similar players? So its the club's fault that Evans is performing badly and getting justly criticized by a large section of United support? Its anyone but Evans fault isn't it? If not the fans its the club now.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Can't believe people are still calling him a scapegoat! How many shit back passes and feck ups is it going to take for people to realise he's been utterly shite this season? Jones hasn't been very good either or Rojo for that matter but at least they are not handing chances on a platter to the opposition to score every time they play.

RoadTrip

The reason being leadership isn't a natural quality of his. Someone who struggles with confidence will always struggle to project leadership.

Will be interesting to see how well he fares at a lesser club when he eventually moves on.

I would like nothing more than him to turn this around and become the player we need but there is a sense of inevitability about the situation.
You don't need natural leadership to necessarily organise a defence. Sure it helps but it can be done without being an out and out leader.

The confidence issue is a big problem though.

RoadTrip

Can't believe people are still calling him a scapegoat! How many shit back passes and feck ups is it going to take for people to realise he's been utterly shite this season? Jones hasn't been very good either or Rojo for that matter but at least they are not handing chances on a platter to the opposition to score every time they play.
Jones is really growing into the season though to be fair. HIs last few games have been much better.

Getsme

I don't know him/her, but from now on I do. I see that I'm lucky that Getsme managed once to reply to me without an emoticon. Almost his/her single post the last few pages without one.
It's because this place is full of funny posts, what can I say.

Loublaze

ATLien
If you are going to defend his performances, at least do it properly. But greenies are all you've got alas!

I don't know him/her, but from now on I do. I see that I'm lucky that Getsme managed once to reply to me without an emoticon. Almost his/her single post the last few pages without one.
Comes across to me as a nervous reaction to the painful truth about Evans that he struggles to swallow.

Yeovil 0:2 Man Utd

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
He's not a scapegoat, he's simply not good enough for United. Evans is bullied by any strong forward with a burst of speed. That forward from MK Dons raped him for their fourth and he almost even scored a fifth goal. I guess Evans gets a pass for losing out to 'beasts' of players. What an excuse. How come Smalling doesn't have the same problems against similar players? So its the club's fault that Evans is performing badly and getting justly criticized by a large section of United support? Its anyone but Evans fault isn't it? If not the fans its the club now.
Remember that goal a few years ago at Villa where we won 3-2. Villa's first goal was a result of Benteke putting Smalling on his ass before sliding the ball across for a goal. So, Smalling was bullied by the exact same player.

I never said it's the clubs fault Evans is out of form, I said it's the clubs fault for not investing in the CB position, don't try and twist my words to suit your argument, my statement was clear.

Loublaze

ATLien
Remember that goal a few years ago at Villa where we won 3-2. Villa's first goal was a result of Benteke putting Smalling on his ass before sliding the ball across for a goal. So, Smalling was bullied by the exact same player.

I never said it's the clubs fault Evans is out of form, I said it's the clubs fault for not investing in the CB position, don't try and twist my words to suit your argument, my statement was clear.
It seems many comments in support of Evans have to go back a few years. Clutching at straws. Why are you only focused on Benteke? Evans has come up short against physical strikers every time he's faced them this season.

Loublaze

ATLien
No, tag me when talking about me, simple.
Is that a house rule or is that Getsme's rules? I don't have to tag you my man, I really don't. I doubt you'll ever miss anything related to you in this thread since you're always in it.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
It seems many comments in support of Evans have to go back a few years. Clutching at straws. Why are you only focused on Benteke? Evans has come up short against physical strikers every time he's faced them this season.
Well I'm not going to go to the future to gain evidence am I?

I am not hiding from the fact that Evans has been poor this season but every time he is out muscled, he gets painted with the same brush but given no praise when he comes out on top of that battle, which like it or not, he does. If he came out worse in every challenge, we would be losing 5 goals every game. It just stands out more when he loses it because the result is more dangerous to us.

Getsme

Is that a house rule or is that Getsme's rules? I don't have to tag you my man, I really don't. I doubt you'll ever miss anything related to you in this thread since you're always in it.
It's the polite thing to do, I suppose I should have known better.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Evans gives at least 1 sitter away a game. He's shit.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
It's bizarre. Evans just had a great defensive action, and first two posts were in "just retire" and "go away" variety. Back in match thread.

Raw

He was okay today, not great but okay. But does he really have to give away a big chance in every game? Very infuriating.

Loublaze

ATLien
He gave the ball to Moore on a plate. He's lucky that both Moore and Diouf are poor finishers, this guy is a liability. Even when he has a decent game he has to do at least one absolutely brainless thing to help the opposition. I'll be glad if he's gone tomorrow

Devil may care

I didn't notice him Jonny Evans anything up today, which is an improvement over his last couple of games.