Jordan Henderson: overrated/underrated?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He is Liverpool’s Park Ji Sung. Not the best player in the team but a fecking big game player and will always put in a 7/10 performance.

Skills

Snitch
He's a good player who's playing under a fantastic coach who makes his team better than the sum of its parts.

fps

The perfect example of a footballer who needs to be well-coached and play in a well-defined set of systems, and if that happens he's great.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The perfect example of a footballer who needs to be well-coached and play in a well-defined set of systems, and if that happens he's great.
So many footballers like that. Henderson wouldn’t make a difference being parachuted into a team in disarray, but he’ll be ther perfect cog in a well oiled machine. Liverpool is all about the team.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Comfortably better than every Man United midfielder apart from Pogba.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The thing is I don’t know how true that is. I’d love to see what Fred would have done under Pep, or Herrera in a good system with sound coaching. Our players look shit because we are XI individuals each and every week. We’ve got no real partnerships in our team.

PoTMS

He's a very good player. Gets too much criticism from some Liverpool fans.

dbs235

He allows them to stay on the front foot by winning the ball back so well. Limited once he gets the ball but he only needs to play simple passes and let the front three create things.

Siorac

He performs much better. If he played for United and Herrera played for Liverpool, you'd probably say Herrera is far superior. It's about the team, the system: Henderson would look garbage in the current United side.

Welbeckham

He’s underrated, has great engine and attitude and good enough technique. Very good player when used right.

Renegade

Proof you don’t need an 11 full of superstars. No better than Herrera just plays for a better coached team.

Kaglish10

He performs much better. If he played for United and Herrera played for Liverpool, you'd probably say Herrera is far superior. It's about the team, the system: Henderson would look garbage in the current United side.
Nah. Henderson has always been a decent central midfielder for Sunderland I think before Liverpool snapped him up. Even Ferguson wanted him then. Moreover, he was solid for England at the world cup to the extent that Dier couldn't replicate his role when he deputised for him (I think he was rested then). His position is solid and has got good understanding of the game. He's also intelligent on the ball. He may not have the vision nor the glamorous touch to distinguish him but he's a solid player.

Classical Mechanic

Coaching does play a part, a big part, but Henderson and Milner both have the kind of character that’s sadly missing from our squad. They always play at 100%.

izec

Underrated. He is great for them, the way he pressed for 90 minutes is impressive. Similar to Bernardo for City, always running and closing the player down. In a system at start, but they still do it late in games when most players just stand and watch.

Aloysius's Back 3

Nah. Henderson has always been a decent central midfielder for Sunderland I think before Liverpool snapped him up. Even Ferguson wanted him then. Moreover, he was solid for England at the world cup to the extent that Dier couldn't replicate his role when he deputised for him (I think he was rested then). His position is solid and has got good understanding of the game. He's also intelligent on the ball. He may not have the vision nor the glamorous touch to distinguish him but he's a solid player.
These guys think Herrera is better than Henderson :lol:

Siorac

He's a solid player, yes. Like many of our players, too - that's why I brought up Herrera. He's also a good player who has the workrate to play in this Liverpool team. I don't think Henderson is better than him as an individual but he plays in a far better, more cohesive team that makes the most of his strengths and covers his weaknesses. We don't do either.

predator

Youth NITK
He was incredible tonight in pretty much all departments. You can't ask for me. He's not the most technically gifted player and never will be but his attitude is second to none, whilst his football intelligence is very good.

Paul_Scholes18

I think he is a lot like Fletcher for us in the past. Great work rate and mobility. Also physically strong and can make great runs into the box that gives them goals. Good on the ball although not very creative, but can perform well in intense game when the tempo is high. Big game player no doubt, but not the guy to dominate possesion against the weak teams.

Kaglish10

He's a solid player, yes. Like many of our players, too - that's why I brought up Herrera. He's also a good player who has the workrate to play in this Liverpool team. I don't think Henderson is better than him as an individual but he plays in a far better, more cohesive team that makes the most of his strengths and covers his weaknesses. We don't do either.
I don't think Herrera is better than Henderson. Can Herrera play the lone holding midfield role behind several no 10 such as Alli, Lingard and Sterling like Henderson did for England at the world cup? Also, he's been playing the lone holding midfield role for Liverpool for years. He's got better understanding of the game than Herrera who's all about charging all over the pitch. His positioning and movement is also better than Herrera.

The only thing similar between Herrera and Henderson is their defensive game but when it comes to movement, position, ball use, Henderson is better.

dogwithabone

These guys think Herrera is better than Henderson :lol:
I think he probably is too but that isn’t to say Henderson is a poor player, he isn’t.

Henderson is in a team that work their nuts off for one another and he plays his part superbly. Herrera is surrounded by statues but I think individually he has a bit more to his game than Henderson in a technical sense.

AshRK

The thing is I don’t know how true that is. I’d love to see what Fred would have done under Pep, or Herrera in a good system with sound coaching. Our players look shit because we are XI individuals each and every week. We’ve got no real partnerships in our team.
Amen to that. Maybe fred is not that bad like people are thinking. Henderson is not technically gifted but he is a hard worker and when the team wins players like Henderson look good.

Aloysius's Back 3

I think he probably is too but that isn’t to say Henderson is a poor player, he isn’t.

Henderson is in a team that work their nuts off for one another and he plays his part superbly. Herrera is surrounded by statues but I think individually he has a bit more to his game than Henderson in a technical sense.
Herrera to me is a chaser and I can see why Klopp would go after him say more than Pogba.

However, Henderson plays with a calmness. Herrera plays like a dog chasing a bone.

Someone mentioned it in the last game we played. The lad gets booked in the first 40 mins and then becomes unable to do anything else because he can't pass, he can't tackle cleanly, he can't even attempt to break the tempo or continue tempo we'll with the ball at his feat. He is the best midfielder we have no doubt - but Henderson at United would be better. Just my opinion.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's been very much underrated on the Caf at least. He's been very good for them lately, especially after he was moved into a role further up the pitch where he's expected to play more football.

Hoof the ball

We're talking about a midfield that comprises of Wijnaldum, Milner and Henderson, not all playing at the same time, but playing a significant amount of the time in one fashion or another, and not only out-running the opposition, but out-playing them. Those three men should not be outplaying anyone. The system Klopp has created turns them into Übermensch.

Dozer

A player is underrated until the point at which everyone agrees he’s underrated, at which point he becomes overrated.

Nobody ever seems to just be rated for what they are...

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
A player is underrated until the point at which everyone agrees he’s underrated, at which point he becomes overrated.

Nobody ever seems to just be rated for what they are...
Yeah they are misleading terms. "He's overrated/underrated"... Shut the feck up and then answer the following.

Ok, what is his level then? Is he as good as the best midfielders in the game? And does it matter when he can put in performances like this in a system which, wait for it because this is still confusing to some people, is optimized to bring out the best in their players?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Criticised him plenty but Jesus Christ that’s the best performance I’ve ever seen from him, didn’t think he still had that in him. The sheer energy levels is off the charts.

He has his weaknesses but given he’s no longer required to be the main man we can cover those up and accentuate the positives.

Boycott

He was really good in that Rodgers season when they nearly won the league too. People often say English players get overrated and while this may have been the case a decade ago, I think it's actually the complete opposite now and has been for some time. Henderson has been in one title challenging side, he's now in another, he's in his second UCL Final and he's doing it in teams praised for their progressive style of football. Yet he gets this rep of being a yard dog. Much better player than Herrera imo.

el3mel

I wasn't joking when I said I will take their entire midfield ahead of our trio any time any day.