Jordan Henderson: overrated/underrated?

simplyared

Looking at this player I honestly cannot decide whether he's overrated or underrated. Would be interesting to hear how he's valued by his own fans. Maybe he fits in the bracket of players that "always do a job" "invaluable to the team" etc etc. Over 300 apps for Liverpool and 48 apps for England.

Red Devil Rising

I was actually impressed by his post match interview, seems like an intelligent lad. Quite a feat for a Geordie that plays for Liverpool.

Decent player.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's got a decent pass on him but for the rest he's just meh generally.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Certainly not overrated. I've never heard anyone claim him to be one of the league's best midfielders, even deluded 'Pool fans. He's a good player, who is probably prone to being underrated because fans will blithely say he's shit whenever he does something wrong.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
He's not Xabi Alonso but every manager that's ever managed him has had him as one of the first names on the team sheet. He's a top 4 level player who gets a hard time because he's a bit bland, English and not easy on the eye in his play.

I can name a raft of more exotic names who I'd rate him over.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Not my cup of tea for the midfield. He's just dull. Always the first to complain and scream at officials too.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Certainly not overrated. I've never heard anyone claim him to be one of the league's best midfielders, even deluded 'Pool fans. He's a good player, who is probably prone to being underrated because fans will blithely say he's shit whenever he does something wrong.
Pretty much spot on. He's also a pretty good presence in the dressing room, supposedly. He's not the kind of player you want as your first choice CM week in week out, but I'm happy enough with him at the club.

Canagel

Neither overrated nor underrated. He gets rated just like he should be. A satisfactory 5/6 out of 10.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He is shite.

He was shite at the start of his Liverpool career and then showed some slight improvement. Then the scousers think he is great.

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
My general impression of him when watching Liverpool:

1. He's good defensively
2. He can occasionally ping a great pass
3. He lacks confidence with the ball at his feet (his biggest weakness)

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is not extremely good at anything really, but he is a well rounded player sort of like O'Shea, and has a decent level in most things. On Fifa he would be a classic 80 rated non rare. He is not a playmaker, not a terrier, not a defensive player, not racking up assist, but he can pass, press and move very well.

reddevil702

Would put him in the same mix as Lingard. Decent player who can do a job and have good moments and is valued more by their club than outside of it.

wythyred

I have said for years that he is a good player.

He reads the game exceptionally well and he doesn't half put in a shift.

His ball playing is seriously underrated and his long passing in particular is very good.

As others have said he seems to lack confidence sometimes and he isn't the most exciting footballer but he is definitely good enough to play for most top teams.

Skills

Snitch
He looks so Scouse for someone who's not actually a scouser. It's weird

Bwuk

Under rated. Everyone says he’s shite.

He’s a decent player, not world class but not shite. Squad player for a top side. I’d take him for our bench.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would put him in the same mix as Lingard. Decent player who can do a job and have good moments and is valued more by their club than outside of it.
Would agree with that.

Not world class obviously but Liverpool miss him when he dosen't play. Another who's one of the first to get stick (often undeserved) when England lose a big game in a major tournament.

RochaRoja

Yeah, he’s both.

Not really a Champions League club starter level but not a totally useless donkey either.

He’d be a decent squad player for most teams, including United to be honest. I could see him doing that role in a Ferguson side easily.

His performance for England in the WC semi-final was laughably inept though. Gave the ball away playing aimless shanks up the pitch seemingly every time he got it.

Walters_19_MuFc

I rate him. Liverpool could do with two creators above him like Fernandinho has ahead of him at City. He has the legs to cover them.

EasyE

Passion merchant. Might be a Jimmy Milner Mr Consistent with a few years more experience.

I did love the way he didn't flinch when being charged by Diego Costa that time. Costa bottled it when he'd gone too far.

cyberman

Shite and a sad indictment of how poorly their midfield reinforcements have been since he still starts for them.
A midfield version of Phil Jones as in he shouldn't be playing if the scouts did their job correctly.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
A bit of both. I’m not a huge fan but some of our fans think he’s great.

I think he’s got a habit of attempting passes that either aren’t on, or aren’t in his locker.

He peaked for a few months during 13/14 when he was playing as the most advanced in a midfield three. Since then he’s done ok as a holding midfielder.

He’s not captain material imo.

meamth

He tries to be Gerrard, to be the big game player in big games. Look at that England WC semi final, his long balls were laughably bad.

Aloysius's Back 3

He is Liverpool's ander Herrera.

What we say about Henderson is what Liverpool will say about Herrera.

Captain on the pitch, defensively & attackingly an engine. Plays with heart more so than mind which can occasionally or rarely cause a few lapses.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'd rather say he's underrated because I rarely see anyone overrate him rather he's criticised or made fun of.