Jordan Henderson: overrated/underrated?

Andersonson

People who are claiming he aint a top footballer is simply out of their depth.

No other way of putting it

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's more "people are conflating Liverpool having an excellent team which accommodate 'average at best' Henderson in the midfield" that I take issue with.
No I moved on from that 2 years ago I think. He's a good midfielder. Fundamentally sound. He's been very good this season but I'd give it a few more seasons before I upgrade his status to "very good"

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He's an average player but Klopp has got everyone in that team playing like world beaters. They have great players in every position but no way are they as good as the Arsenal team that were unbeatable, but Klopp is simply stunning at getting the absolute maximum from all of them.

Righteous Steps

He's an average player but Klopp has got everyone in that team playing like world beaters. They have great players in every position but no way are they as good as the Arsenal team that were unbeatable, but Klopp is simply stunning at getting the absolute maximum from all of them.
If we were ranking the teams personnel wise, it’s close.

Alisson is a better keeper than Lehman was, VVD is better than any cbs Arsenal had, as is TAA.

Henry is the best out of all the groups of attackers, but at the same token Salah and Mane are better players than Lljunberg or Pires.

Viera is the best out of all the midfielders but Fabinho and Gilberto Silva are pretty close in quality, it’s pretty fairly even matched, would you agree?

Raj70

Supports
Liverpool
That Arsenal side is overrated, they did nothing in Europe, and only got 90 points. This Liverpool side is better, back to back champions league finals and looking like 90+ points in consecutive seasons

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe that Arsenal team was only that good because Wenger was simply stunning at getting the absolute maximum from all of them?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Maybe that Arsenal team was only that good because Wenger was simply stunning at getting the absolute maximum from all of them?
Nah, just better footballers. There's nobody in this Pool side with the pure brilliance of Henry.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Let me take a stab at this - Rooney was shit once Ferguson left, Scholes and giggs also never did anything of note without Ferguson coaching them into it, Carrick was also average without him and de gea was able to keep it going for a bit after he left but has now also regressed to his non-ferguson mean. Cantona didn't exactly set the world alight outside a united shirt either.

Conclusions about the greatness of his teams follow naturally from there.

Am I doing it right?

adexkola

Supports
Let me take a stab at this - Rooney was shit once Ferguson left, Scholes and giggs also never did anything of note without Ferguson coaching them into it, Carrick was also average without him and de gea was able to keep it going for a bit after he left but has now also regressed to his non-ferguson mean. Cantona didn't exactly set the world alight outside a united shirt either.

Conclusions about the greatness of his teams follow naturally from there.

Am I doing it right?
Si!

James Ward

Very good player, Better than Fred, Better than Scott.

Not sure why people think he is underrated. A very solid player with good passing and tackling.

You don't see Jordan playing back passes 50% of the time.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Check out the Balon d’Or list. This side has loads of top players. They’d comfortably live with that Arsenal side that never won the CL.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's hardly world class, yet seems to be a key player in arguably the current best side in the world. Bit like Wijnaldum. No one in the Netherlands gives a feck about Wijnaldum, it's all oee De Ligt, oee Frenkie de Jong, yet Wijnaldum, with his modest skill set is outshining them both,

Oldyella

Check out the Balon d’Or list. This side has loads of top players. They’d comfortably live with that Arsenal side that never won the CL.
Yeah. I think if you looked at a combined 11 it would be pretty evenly split between the two sides.

TheLiverBird

He has largely been underrated throughout his career

however I do think the tables are turning, or in fact, have now already turned to the point where I think most would accept that he is actually a top class Midfielder and a good leader

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
He’s a good player playing in a brilliant team with a brilliant manager.

billybee99

Liverpool has plenty of top players; I don't consider Henderson to be one of them. He's a solid, no nonsense Premier League midfielder; nothing more, nothing less. He'd walk into our side.

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
Nah, just better footballers. There's nobody in this Pool side with the pure brilliance of Henry.
Sure but Henry played just one position.

I think if the two teams played each other that this Liverpool team would deal with them and beat them. This current Liverpool team is so fit and athletic that they would probably grind them down and then hit them when the Arsenal players get tired.

Hammondo

I think massively underrated. Liverpool would struggle without him.

Paul_Scholes18

I think he is very underrated. Every other players seem to get loads of praise, but rarely Henderson.
I guess this season he will get, but people will still talk up the attackers and the defenders to the sky above the midfield.

I think Liverpools biggest strenght might be the midfield that gives support in both directions and makes the team function.
Van Dijk is obviously amazing and TAA got a magical cross in him, but they get covered by that midfield a lot.
Having a strong midfield allows the fullback to attack more which is key for Liverpools sucess.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
That'll be currently the most effective system in world football that (interchangeable) Henderson is suiting.

Boy, there's some ill-informed stuff in here. I suspect a lot of people watched Henderson about three years ago and now have an opinion set.
The system and the manager are the best in world football. That's not even debatable. Is Henderson the key to it? Not a chance.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We had average players playing like world beaters due to a world class manager - doesn't stop the player still being a world class player during a set period of time.

Just because Klopp gets the best out of them shouldn't be a case to hold them back of their performances.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
The system and the manager are the best in world football. That's not even debatable. Is Henderson the key to it? Not a chance.
Klopp’s had 4 and a half years to go for someone better, eh?

Josh 76

A water carrier with an engine.
Needs world class players around him to look good.

Storm Force

Supports
Liverpool
Losing Henderson derailed Liverpool's title charge in 2014 leaving Gerrard exposed and without legs and energy.Henderson would compliment and improve most premier teams . To be fair I think he is the best midfielder in the league this year

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
He's a massive cnut with a face that deserves being repeatedly punched.

Couldn't care less about the rest of it
I bet you must love his trophy lifting celebration. :D He’s having the season of his life and making the most of it.

adexkola

Supports
Losing Henderson derailed Liverpool's title charge in 2014 leaving Gerrard exposed and without legs and energy.Henderson would compliment and improve most premier teams . To be fair I think he is the best midfielder in the league this year
And I'm the one getting jumped on.

@B20 @Klopper76 see your mans here.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
And I'm the one getting jumped on.

@B20 @Klopper76 see your mans here.
The best is clearly De Bruyne.

Second best Fabinho

Henderson is in the third layer pack of chasers, with Wijnaldum, Fernandinho, Kante and David Silva. The latter three have dropped off from their previous heights though imo.

Henderson basically plays like Kante these days. Won't get the same kind of credit for the same performances though, because he's Jordan Henderson.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I bet you must love his trophy lifting celebration. :D He’s having the season of his life and making the most of it.
I've never seen him lift anything. You honestly think the two finals you've won my TV was on one second after the final whistle?

I turned the CL final off after 60 minutes and checked the final score with a couple to go before switching it off again. I avoided sports tv and newspapers for a week and managed not to see any of it. :D

adexkola

Supports
I've never seen him lift anything. You honestly think the two finals you've won my TV was on one second after the final whistle?

I turned the CL final off after 60 minutes and checked the final score with a couple to go before switching it off again. I avoided sports tv and newspapers for a week and managed not to see any of it. :D
True story, in 2005 I and my brother (Milan fan) went over to the neighbors to watch the game (they had a satellite). At halftime it was 3-0 and we had school the next morning so they turned off the tv and sent us home. I get to school the next morning. and all I hear from the daily footy convo before class is "what a second half... he was dancing like an idiot but he made Shevchenko miss..."

Haven't seen Gerrard lift that trophy, ever. So it's like it didn't happen

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Decent all-rounder on the ball whose limitations were exposed to some extent at the last World Cup. Nonetheless, the majority of his off-the-ball game is top class. His engine is exceptional, he reads second balls sharply, his positioning and covering are spot on. Those qualities aren’t as prized by most fans compared to what some classier and more creative players bring to the table which is why he’s the most interchangeable player in that unit. But they are the sort of attributes that are fundamental to controlling midfield. And he’s clearly a leader who sets the standards and visibly embodies Klopp’s messaging on the park.

manc4red

The best is clearly De Bruyne.

Second best Fabinho

Henderson is in the third layer pack of chasers, with Wijnaldum, Fernandinho, Kante and David Silva. The latter three have dropped off from their previous heights though imo.

Henderson basically plays like Kante these days. Won't get the same kind of credit for the same performances though, because he's Jordan Henderson.
I would put Henderson before Fabinho. Fabinho missed a string of games and Liverpool continued to power on.

I do love it when I see KDB pout when City lets in another soft goal.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
He’s a decent player with slightly underrated passing. There are probably hundreds of midfielders who are superior to him technically.

However, he is very consistent and has a world class attitude and drive to win. It’s this - combined with a clearly defined role that suits his capabilities - that makes him such an important component of the dippers system.