Jordan Hendrsone - FWA Footballer of the Year

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
So the press think Henderson is better than de Bruyne? Or had a better season? That's mental. Hard to take seriously like this.

United58

Giggs won it in 2011, it's not really an award based on who's the best that season.

van Dijk probably deserved it based on this season

RORY65

Even from his own team you would surely pick Van Dijk, Mane, Alexander-Arnold and Salah over him. The football writers are quite jingoistic though, they picked Vardy in 2016 over Kante and Mahrez and picked Parker in 2011 despite him getting relegated and not being that good.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sentiment because he’s English & Liverpool captain.

De Bruyne is the player of the year. If he was English he would have got it.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Henderson’s had a fantastic season, but this is a bit of a sentimental award based on him being British, him going from being deemed not good enough by many to captain and an integral part of a team that just won the PL for the first time in 30 years.

El Zoido

It had to be a Liverpool player since they won the league by a stretch. Imo TAA should have got it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Technically this is the FWA player of the year award. Although, its very likely Henderson will also win the PFA player of the year award.

I don't understand it myself. The player I fear most at Liverpool is Sadio Mane. Seems to be able to get crucial goals for them whenever its needed. I would have thought Mane would be recognised for his contribution to Liverpool this season. You get the feeling that if Mane played for Madrid he would have won more individual honours.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Even from his own team you would surely pick Van Dijk, Mane, Alexander-Arnold and Salah over him. The football writers are quite jingoistic though, they picked Vardy in 2016 over Kante and Mahrez and picked Parker in 2011 despite him getting relegated and not being that good.
Just like the England manager then :wenger:

I couldn't agree more, most individual player awards are a waste of time but this one is particularly pointless.

Skills

Snitch
It had to be a Liverpool player since they won the league by a stretch. Imo TAA should have got it.
City won the league at a canter in 17/18 with record points, goals etc and Salah won POTY

Superunknown

Henderson’s had a fantastic season, but this is a bit of a sentimental award based on him being British, him going from being deemed not good enough by many to captain and an integral part of a team that just won the PL for the first time in 30 years.
Hard not to agree with this. I can see why he's been given it really.

I would've had Van Dijk or Mane ahead of him personally. I think overall Kevin De Bruyne has been one of the standout players in the league, but it's hard to justify giving it to a Man City player when Liverpool ran away with it this season, even though I personally would consider him for it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Captain of all captains.
Leader of premier league players.
He sleeps with one eye open.
Capable of singing his national anthem backwards.

Very well deserved. What a talent.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He isn't PFA Player of the Year, he's FWA Footballer of the Year.

Sterling won it last year by the way when he clearly wasn't the best player in the league. I don't know why so many people get worked up about individual awards.

romufc

2 seasons ago.. Salah won player of the year when CIty won the title by a stretch too.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He probably won some sort of tombola.

KeanoMagicHat

City were shite without De Bruyne this season, he could break Henry's assist record and was just excellent in every part of his game. If Salah won it in 2018, then De Bruyne should have won it this year. And if Henderson won it this year, De Bruyne should have won it in 2018. Either way De Bruyne is hard done by.

Of Liverpool players I would have Mane and Alexander-Arnold as more deserving. Henderson is a very meh choice.

Mr Smith

Just to clarify, is this the one the players vote for or the journalists?

If it's the latter, I can understand this bleeding heart bullshit, but I find it hard to accept that the actual players genuinely believe Jordan fecking Henderson has had a better season than Kevin De Bruyne.

Daylight robbery.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Dean Henderson must be fuming right now.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hard not to agree with this. I can see why he's been given it really.

I would've had Van Dijk or Mane ahead of him personally. I think overall Kevin De Bruyne has been one of the standout players in the league, but it's hard to justify giving it to a Man City player when Liverpool ran away with it this season, even though I personally would consider him for it.
I won't even name Henderson top 3 in Liverpool
TAA Salah Mane will be mine

City won the league last 2 seasons and Liverpool still won the awards

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
FWA has a bit of history for giving it to someone with narrative.

KDB’s been the best player in the league throughout the season. Bruno arguably has been since he joined the league, but KDB has been the clear outstanding footballer in England across the entire season.

It’s fine that the best player playing in England is not in the best team. That’s often the case. It’s weird that people can’t often understand that. Some teams succeed by getting the most of a star player or a few men, others are just better than the sum of their parts. I’d argue Liverpool are the latter. Most of Liverpool’s XI would not obviously improve most other top teams in isolation.

CM

I think everyone knew it was on the cards but it's the definition of a sentimental pick.

There's about 5 players in that Liverpool team alone who deserve it more than Henderson, but de Bruyne could still break (or equal) the assists record for a season and not get it.

iHicksy

De Bryune is the best midfielder in the world. Henderson isn't even in the top 5 in the league. But it shouldn't be any surprise. The media as a whole have been falling over themselves to celebrate this Liverpool title and throw insane plaudits at them after one league title. This award is given by the same people who've been doing it all season.

Brophs

The One and Only
Strong Scott ‘Scotty’ Parker vibes off this.

Rolaholic

This is the same lot that gave Scott Parker the award when West Ham got relegated right?

Not surprised they'd name a player who's not even one of the 5 best on his own side footballer of the year :lol:

The press have been campaigning hard for Henderson all season, fully expect him to win PL POTY as well even though no one with bloody eyes believes he's a better player or had a better season than De Bruyne...

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Been a very good captain in an excellent side. Well deserved