Jordan Hendrsone - FWA Footballer of the Year

Sentiment because he’s English & Liverpool captain.

De Bruyne is the player of the year. If he was English he would have got it.
It’s got nothing to do with him being English. Let’s get rid of that shit straight away.

Clearly Liverpool were going to win the award, and to be honest none of their players have been outstanding, I’d rate Alison, VVD, Arnold, Mane and Salah all above him, but he’s the captain.

Chairman Steve

This award has British bias and sentiment bias to it anyway. It lost credibility when they gave it to Scott Parker about 10 years ago.

Paul_Scholes18

Well deserved he has been great this year. I personally think KDB, TAA or Mane should have it though.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
He was nailed on to get the FWA footblaller of the year award just as Gerrard would have got it 6 years ago if Liverpool won the league. He's not the best player at his club but nationality got him the award. I'd be surprised if he won the PFA award but I was surprised Giggs got it instead of Vidic back in 2009 so who knows how it's going to play out.

Siorac

Guardiola calling out the favouritism they benefit from.

Great to see.
Sterling won it last season though. It's the PFA award that went to Liverpool two years running while City were champions.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
KDB had too many games like the game v Arsenal where he had very little impact.
For a non Liverpool player to win it he would need a monster season but hr, and the side as a whole, kind of wilted in the big games.
Both games v Utd, both v Spurs, the Liverpool game that mattered, both games v Wolves. Even Chelsea away where the free kick masked a very poor performance.
Theres no way he deserves it over Trent, Mane etc. Id even say theres an argument that Rashford has a bigger claim to it than KDB does.
Wtf. This is a league-based award:
  • he had only played in 1 game against United in the league this season (best City player with 5 key passes and 4 shots)
  • his performances against Arsenal this season in the league: MotM with 2 goals in a 3:0 beating and another MotM with an assist in another 3:0
  • in total 12 league games against United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester & Wolves he had scored 6 goals and made 5 assists as a midfielder
He had 3 poor games against top sides this season – in 2 losses against Arsenal and Liverpool and an unimpressive performance against Leicester. Out of 12, in which (in total, including his worst showings) he has 11 goals + assists as a central midfielder. And most of the time those were just a cherry on top of an excellent all-round performance.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
  • he had only played in 1 game against United in the league this season (best City player with 5 key passes and 4 shots)
  • his performances against Arsenal this season in the league: MotM with 2 goals in a 3:0 beating and another MotM with an assist in another 3:0
  • in total 12 league games against United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester & Wolves he had scored 6 goals and made 5 assists as a midfielder
He had 3 poor games against top sides this season – in 2 losses against Arsenal and Liverpool and an unimpressive performance against Leicester. Out of 12, in which (in total, including his worst showings) he has 11 goals + assists as a central midfielder. And most of the time those were just a cherry on top of an excellent all-round performance.
Yup. It's as cut-and-dried a case for player of the season as you can get.

SaboTaj

The FWA award always seems to have an anglophile spin to it, whenever there isn’t a clear no.1 choice.

90 + 5min

Strong Scott ‘Scotty’ Parker vibes off this.
Was thinking exactly the same. Same kind of player, although Henderson won Premier League. I have no problem him winning because he had pretty good season but even in his own team there were better player performences this year.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
It's the first time I'm seeing this FWA, to be honest. Is it considered more or less prestigious than PFA award?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Bit of a joke, he is not even in the top 10 for me. KDB all the way for the number one spot though, that is a lock in.

tjb

Honestly, I think its ridiculous and shows how biased football writers generally are. It's a narrative they've been trying to push all season with Henderson and it is ridiculously unfair. Debruyne should have also won the PFA awards in 2018. His team was by far the best and he was clearly the league's best player, yet no award. Now he's again the best, but since it's Liverpool that won the league, all of a sudden, despite the fact that the past two season's were won by City, this would be the third time in a row a Liverpool player has won it. No surprise that despite being the dominant team of this decade and having the best players, no city player has won the award. No David Silva, no Debruyne, no Kompany, no Sterling, no Yaya and no Aguero. I dislike City immensely, possibly even worse than Liverpool due to having less respect for them, but it's difficult to argue with the biases that exist in regards to their players being acknowledged.

United Hobbit

I'd have given it to KDB, TAA, Mane, Alisson or VVD over Henderson. Even as an outside bet, Danny Ings, to be in contention for the golden Boot in a non top 6 team is a great achievement

But then its the same as the awards for the managers, I'd give it to Wilder, to have a team many tipped to go straight back down just missing out on Europe is a fantastic achievement especially on a smaller budget but we all know it will go to the Gurning One.

Robbo 7

For me, he struggles to get in the top 5 Liverpool players of the season. In no particular order:

1. TAA
  2. Robertson
  3. Fabinho
  4. Alisson
  5. Mane

cyberman

Setting up a goal etc doesnt mean you had a good game. Pogba has stats through the roof yet many fans will argue against the inpact he has.
City have lost a lot of control through midfield this season. They get overran when out of possession and lose all sense of attacking control when falling behind.
KDB is an amazing crosser of the ball, i think he's better than Trent but he's just starting to find hinself lost a bit through the middle so ends up playing from wide, getting the ball in. Thats why, almost overnight, he started showcasing his crossing ability on a weekly basis.
Im not saying hes having a bad season or anything stupid, but KDB is finding it more and more difficult to dictate play v top sides anymore. He hasn't been the difference maker on that many occasions. In fact, I think this is his poorest overall season he has had in a City shirt.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bloody hell - when I heard it was Henderson - I immediately thought it was our goalie - on loan at Sheff United :lol: :lol:

Jordan Henderson!!! Bloody hell

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Didn’t Ginola win the PFA award the year United won the treble?
He did and some even gave his goal in the League Cup as goal of the season over Giggsy's wonder goal in the FA Cup semi.

You'd think that some in the media didn't like Utd and SAF...

Inigo Montoya

Bloody hell - when I heard it was Henderson - I immediately thought it was our goalie - on loan at Sheff United :lol: :lol:

Jordan Henderson!!! Bloody hell
I wouldn't have even put him in the PL team of the season

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I wouldn't have even put him in the PL team of the season
It's truly baffling.

Now I understand why my City supporting pal kept moaning about it.
Although I did find it strange a keeper would win it.

But how has he even beaten 3 or 4 in his own team!? Let alone De Bruyne etc

Inigo Montoya

It's truly baffling.

Now I understand why my City supporting pal kept moaning about it.
Although I did find it strange a keeper would win it.

But how has he even beaten 3 or 4 in his own team!? Let alone De Bruyne etc
Because the FWA love to suck Jurgen's Weiner sized cock

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Because the FWA love to suck Jurgen's Weiner sized cock
Salah, Mane, VD, you might accept. But Henderson!? He's no-one's indispensable. Instead he's one of their many options who are much of a muchness in centre midfield. Bizarre.

And saying it could have been the players I mention shows it's not just anti Liverpool talk!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Setting up a goal etc doesnt mean you had a good game. Pogba has stats through the roof yet many fans will argue against the inpact he has.
City have lost a lot of control through midfield this season. They get overran when out of possession and lose all sense of attacking control when falling behind.
KDB is an amazing crosser of the ball, i think he's better than Trent but he's just starting to find hinself lost a bit through the middle so ends up playing from wide, getting the ball in. Thats why, almost overnight, he started showcasing his crossing ability on a weekly basis.
Im not saying hes having a bad season or anything stupid, but KDB is finding it more and more difficult to dictate play v top sides anymore. He hasn't been the difference maker on that many occasions. In fact, I think this is his poorest overall season he has had in a City shirt.
I don’t really know how to argue with this, since the objective argument, stats, didn’t work. Let’s agree to disagree, De Bruyne’s general play is generally amazing, as well as his workrate. Pogba’s argument doesn’t hold up as he is pretty much the opposite to De Bruyne mentality-wise, if you compare him with anyone at United, it would be Bruno.

And it’s funny that you criticize De Bruyne for not playing that well regardless of his output, but the alternatives that you gave are all Liverpool players – who had mostly played worse that they did last season and had a lot of those games when they had got a positive result despite playing poorly.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Bit surprised how many people are saying TAA stands ahead of him. Guess it goes to show how underrated Henderson is despite everything.

Pretty sure most Liverpool fans will agree that Henderson has been better and more important to us than TAA this season.

Van Dijk is still our best player and there's a discussion to be had between Mane and Henderson for second best, but he's been genuinely outstanding for us in midfield.

always_hoping

Strong Scott ‘Scotty’ Parker vibes off this.
First thing that came into my head and am I right in saying Parker didn't make it onto the PFA team of yea the season?

What does posters make of this team of year voted by the public?

James Peril

Just silly - even disrespectful towards de Bruyne. But these are journalists right? Used to be a respected profession with values, now with the same amount of integrity as ticket sharks outside stadiums.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Our last three title wins:
City win the title with 86 points, Liverpool player wins POTY.
City win the title with 100 points, Liverpool player wins POTY.
City with the title with 98 points, Liverpool player wins POTY.

In one of those Liverpool literally finished 25 points behind us.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Jordan Henderson FFS :lol: :lol: :lol:
De Bruyne any day.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Doesn't even deserve to have his name spelt correctly let alone be given an award.

Paul_Scholes18

Our last three title wins:
City win the title with 86 points, Liverpool player wins POTY.
City win the title with 100 points, Liverpool player wins POTY.
City with the title with 98 points, Liverpool player wins POTY.

In one of those Liverpool literally finished 25 points behind us.
Liverpool were moral champions for each of those years though.
They won the alternative league table too!