Jordan Hendrsone - FWA Footballer of the Year

Classical Mechanic

It’s always been an alternative player of the year award really. Its not just unqualified Englishmen they give it to: Klinsman, Piers, Zola and Ginola all won it undeservingly too. They come up with a narrative between themselves.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Bit surprised how many people are saying TAA stands ahead of him. Guess it goes to show how underrated Henderson is despite everything.

Pretty sure most Liverpool fans will agree that Henderson has been better and more important to us than TAA this season.

Van Dijk is still our best player and there's a discussion to be had between Mane and Henderson for second best, but he's been genuinely outstanding for us in midfield.
TAA has 4 goals and 13 assists in the league alone, and him and Robertson are absolutely essential to the system. I would lose count of how many attacks this season were started by TAA cross field passes, long balls, or crosses.

Henderson might do his job well, and might be a better player than some give him credit for, but he is very replaceable in a midfield with a very defined role.

What TAA brings is so much more vital to the setup and very difficult to replace with the same degree of success.

He is suspect defensively, but what he brings offensively outweighs Henderson’s contribution in my opinion.

Classical Mechanic

Our last three title wins:
City win the title with 86 points, Liverpool player wins POTY.
City win the title with 100 points, Liverpool player wins POTY.
City with the title with 98 points, Liverpool player wins POTY.

In one of those Liverpool literally finished 25 points behind us.
You‘re mixing up awards here. Sterling won the FWA last year which Henderson has won. PFA player of the year is voted for by the player so is much more meritocratic. I don’t think that Salah’s win can be argued in the PFA award as it was one of the best seasons in PL history. VVD was the other one last year which was more arguable but not that eye brow raising.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
You‘re mixing up awards here. Sterling won the FWA last year which Henderson has won. PFA player of the year is voted for by the player so is much more meritocratic. I don’t think that Salah’s win can be argued in the PFA award as it was one of the best seasons in PL history. VVD was the other one last year which was more arguable but not that eye brow raising.
Yeah I understand the difference, I'm just pointing out an obvious bias towards Liverpool that contributed towards this absurd award today.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
First thing that came into my head and am I right in saying Parker didn't make it onto the PFA team of yea the season?

What does posters make of this team of year voted by the public?

That there sure is a lot of United fans voting

Bruno, on half a season, but ok he's been amazing...martial??? Over Vardy???????

Also alisson is a boring choice. Didn't need to be amazing. Meanwhile you have Guaita and Dubravka keeping their teams up almost single-handedly...

padr81

Supports
Man City

Bruno, on half a season, but ok he's been amazing...martial??? Over Vardy???????

Also alisson is a boring choice. Didn't need to be amazing. Meanwhile you have Guaita and Dubravka keeping their teams up almost single-handedly...
Fans vote, players outside of United, Liverpool and Arsenal haven't a hope. Tbh, I'm shocked KDB or Soyunce got in.

Revan

Assumptionman
Isn’t this ‘the most overhyped British player award’? Scott Parker won it while his team getting relegated, Giggs won it with only 12 starts and so on.

I think it should have gone to a Liverpool player, but Henderson? Come on now, he is good, but he arguably isn’t even in their top 5 players. Salah, Mane, Van Diijk, TAA would have all deserved this more. Maybe Alisson and Robertson too.

Revan

Assumptionman
http://footballwriters.co.uk/editorial/jordan-henderson-footballer-of-the-year/

"As well as the top five of Henderson, De Bruyne, Rashford, Van Dijk and Mane, ten other players received votes from FWA members including Alexander-Arnold, Alisson, Raheem Sterling, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Sergio Aguero, Adama Traore, Danny Ings, Jack Grealish, James Madison and Jonny Evans."

Nevermind Henderson (not even the best player in his team), which football writer when asked "who was the player of the season", answered "Jonny Evans"
Jesus Christ. Whoever voted Evans, AWB, Traore and to a slightly (but just slightly) lessee degree Ings and Grealish needs their head checked. I mean, there is a non-trivial chance that they might have dementia if they really thought those were the best players in the league.

Andersonson

First thing that came into my head and am I right in saying Parker didn't make it onto the PFA team of yea the season?

What does posters make of this team of year voted by the public?

Jesus. Martial should be nowhere that lists. Shows how much fans we got.

What Ings have done this season or what Vardy has done should not be overlooked. Even though if you are a fan.

I'd have Ings for the FWA award.

Dante

Average bang
I think people are misunderstanding what this award actually means.

The 3 main individual awards in this country are -
  • The PFA Players' Player of the Year award. This is awarded to the best individual the other players feel has given them the hardest game.
  • The Premier League Player of the Season, which is supposed to be unbiased award - from the league itself - to its best individual performer.
  • The Football Writers Association Footballer of the Year, which is decided by a bunch of storytellers to the one character who's given them the most interesting narrative over the course of the season.
Nobody thinks that Henderson is the best player in the league. That's kind of what the other two awards are about. But journalists obviously reckon he's been the most compelling subject for their articles: a largely unsung player; derided by the fans for years; made huge improvements to his game in recent seasons; has now become mister reliable; took on the captain's role that everybody said was too big for him; did the one thing Gerard never could do by giving his team a title they've been chasing for 30 years; and on top of that, he led the league's players in its response to covid-19.

If you were writing a movie based on one player this season, Henderson would certainly make an interesting subject. And that's what the award is for. It's a bit like the Sports Personality of The Year in that regard - not just about the sport.

You could argue there's a bias from the sheer number of Liverpool fans in the media (and Guardiola has done precisely that). But that's just one of those things you have to deal with. Writers are always going to want to write about the things they're most passionate about. If that bothers you, ignore the whole thing.

Last edited:

always_hoping

Jesus. Martial should be nowhere that lists. Shows how much fans we got.

What Ings have done this season or what Vardy has done should not be overlooked. Even though if you are a fan.

I'd have Ings for the FWA award.
Going by the basic stats on all three players I wouldn't say nowhere. In less minutes on the field he's had more goal involvements than Ings and just behind Vardy. And let's not forget Martial in the first half of the season was relying on midfield maestros such as Pereira, Lingard whom created next to nothing for him.

Ings minutes played 2710 goals 21 assists 2

Vardy minutes played 2942 goals 23 assists 7

Martial minutes played 2535 goals 17 assists 8

cyberman

Vardy has genuinely been shit since Christmas

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

• The PFA Players' Player of the Year award. This is awarded to the best individual the other players feel has given them the hardest game.
  • The Premier League Player of the Season, which is supposed to be unbiased award - from the league itself - to its best individual performer.
  • The Football Writers Association Footballer of the Year, which is decided by a bunch of storytellers to the one character who's given them the most interesting narrative over the course of the season.
Nobody thinks that Henderson is the best player in the league. That's kind of what the other two awards are about. But journalists obviously reckon he's been the most compelling subject for their articles: a largely unsung player; derided by the fans for years; made huge improvements to his game in recent seasons; has now become mister reliable; took on the captain's role that everybody said was too big for him; did the one thing Gerard never could do by giving his team a title they've been chasing for 30 years; and on top of that, he led the league's players in its response to covid-19.

If you were writing a movie based on one player this season, Henderson would certainly make an interesting subject. And that's what the award is for. It's a bit like the Sports Personality of The Year in that regard - not just about the sport.

You could argue there's a bias from the sheer number of Liverpool fans in the media (and Guardiola has done precisely that). But that's just one of those things you have to deal with. Writers are always going to want to write about the things they're most passionate about. If that bothers you, ignore the whole thing.
That explains why they awarded it to that beachball in 2010.

Kag

Journalists vote based upon narrative and perceived wholesomeness. It’s all about the story. It’s a nonsense, really.

Andersonson

Going by the basic stats on all three players I wouldn't say nowhere. In less minutes on the field he's had more goal involvements than Ings and just behind Vardy. And let's not forget Martial in the first half of the season was relying on midfield maestros such as Pereira, Lingard whom created next to nothing for him.

Ings minutes played 2710 goals 21 assists 2

Vardy minutes played 2942 goals 23 assists 7

Martial minutes played 2535 goals 17 assists 8
And Ings got world class players feeding him?

He plays for a bang average side and has done far far more than any one would expect.

Can't compare minutes played and Lingard/Andreas to what Ings has around him... Doesnt make sense

RooneyLegend

The guy shouldn't even be on the shortlist for Liverpool's player of the season. Madness I tell ya.

always_hoping

And Ings got world class players feeding him?

He plays for a bang average side and has done far far more than any one would expect.

Can't compare minutes played and Lingard/Andreas to what Ings has around him... Doesnt make sense
Might be an average side (which includes two fully deserved draws against United this season) but all options Southampton have/had was better than Lingard, Pereira.

Web of Bissaka

Cheers for the explanation. That finally make sense.

Yeah, "writing" and "story impacts" elements are crucial factors.
Many previous winners portray that. Not sure why Parker won it.

^ then isn't Rashford a far better player to write on? with his charity campaign against you-know-who during this C19 era and basically won, then being given honor, and if they really did their deep research, Rashford have been criticized harshly over the years and often undermined. This is also his best season to date with signs of growing improvements, so the future is bright. They can even milk it more and say how Rashford is becoming United's key player despite his young age.

The over-rating of Henderson is too much. Captain armband nowadays is like a meaningless tradition. They're too desperate in making Henderson a bigger player than he really is. And also making this season a bigger deal than it is for Pool.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Is this actually real?! He's aged well.
Yeah almost no difference :lol:

To be fair, almost all of us do shit embarassing cringy things when we're younger.

Assuming that's real, not fake, interesting his fav is CR7.
It's not embarrassing for me, I just find it very funny.
Well almost everyone liked CR7 back then when they're young. Me included :wenger:

Andersonson

Might be an average side (which includes two fully deserved draws against United this season) but all options Southampton have/had was better than Lingard, Pereira.
Well, according you and your stats you base Martials tally with Bruno and Pogba. Take Martial goals before the restart and compare with Ings and you'll see.

Denis' cuff

“A Liverpool player should win it”

Wtf

It’s an individual award and feck all to do with who he plays for. We’ve won doubles and trebles and still Ginola and Sir Les Ferdinand Etc got the award

de Bruyne

RedPed

Whatabouter.
More self-serving and pretentious rubbish just like the Oscars. I wouldn't even have put him in the Top 20.

Absolute joke.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
:lol:

Oh, you were serious?
Of course. But comfortable that there are other opinions on this. I share mine with the majority of non-partisan football writers.

I guess a Liverpool and United fan arguing over this is somewhat futile, though. Although the addition of a laughing emoji certainly adds weight to your conviction. I may adopt that the next time I seek to ridicule.