Jordan Pickford...

Rafateria

they could easily be banking 150+ million from both sales leaving them with 120 mil to flitter up against a wall. Not bad business overall.
Not a chance of £150m. I'd be very surprised if those two together break £100m - still good business mind.

Last edited:

Rafateria

It's amazing how theres some taboo about Keepers transfer fees. No-one bats an eye lid at a £30 million striker, yet pay that for a keeper and people lose their minds.
Is absolutely right. I can never understand this mentality. Even more so when both scoring goals and stopping the opposition scoring them is the whole premise of the game ! Added to the fact that goalkeepers have a far longer shelf-life than other players.

There is absolutely no way that a young, PL proven and England keeper, is going for £15m in this market and with the money now in all PL clubs' bank accounts. If Pickford can replicate his current form for Everton he will have been worth every penny .. and more.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He looks a decent prospect, hasn't done anything wrong when I've seen him play, seems a good buy for them, he could play 10+ years there in theory so the invesment isn't too dramatic.

dogwithabone

Seems odd that Pickford isn't in the England squad. You'd expect a £30m keeper to be among the four best English keepers. Seems that Koeman is seeing something that Southgate isn't.

dogwithabone

I agree, England should be starting either Butland or Pickford. Hart is in terrible form, its time to move on.

Not just Hart but if Pickford is as good as evryone is making out - not to mention a £30m price tag - then why can't he oust Forster or Heaton from the squad ?

Something is clearly amiss in the England coaching set up if they cannot identify this kid as worthy of being among the four best English keepers.

NK86

Not a chance. Aubameyang is supposedly on his way to PSG for 70m Euros, no way is Lukaku going for anything like that.
Auba is not moving from one PL club to another. That is a massive difference in today's market especially when you consider that VVD is being quoted at 60 mil.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Not just Hart but if Pickford is as good as evryone is making out - not to mention a £30m price tag - then why can't he oust Forster or Heaton from the squad ?

Something is clearly amiss in the England coaching set up if they cannot identify this kid as worthy of being among the four best English keepers.

it's the U21 Euro Championships, he's far better playing in a competitive competition than a friendly for the seniors

dogwithabone

it's the U21 Euro Championships, he's far better playing in a competitive competition than a friendly for the seniors

Is he ? Why isn't Rashford there then ?

If a keeper is good enough what's he doing messing about in the U21's in front of one man and his dog ? I just cannot get how he can be better off playing in that than in front of 80,000 fans at a huge stadium against one of Englands traditional footballing enemies.

What do you think his thought process is ? Playing for the U21's he thinks to himself 'got to try here this is competitive' but playing for the full side '**** this friendly kickabout nonsense'........

Sorry but he's miles better off in the full set up.

Rafateria

Auba is not moving from one PL club to another. That is a massive difference in today's market especially when you consider that VVD is being quoted at 60 mil.
Auba is the hottest striker in Europe (not withstanding MBappe) so I don't think even the 'PL Premium' could elevate Lukaku to that level. We'll see !

NK86

Auba is the hottest striker in Europe (not withstanding MBappe) so I don't think even the 'PL Premium' could elevate Lukaku to that level. We'll see !
Didn't I just talk abt VVD? You think if Marquinhos moves, it will be for more rhan 60 mil?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
In what sort of reality has an average Sunderland keeper, who's just being relegated from the prem become the 3rd most expensive keeper ever?

Football has become well and truly fecked up

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

If a keeper is good enough what's he doing messing about in the U21's in front of one man and his dog ? I just cannot get how he can be better off playing in that than in front of 80,000 fans at a huge stadium against one of Englands traditional footballing enemies.

What do you think his thought process is ? Playing for the U21's he thinks to himself 'got to try here this is competitive' but playing for the full side '**** this friendly kickabout nonsense'........

Going by past precedent, they'll be playing in front of crowds between 10 to 15 thousand.
Imo it definitely makes sense for Pickford to play competitive tournament football rather than half of one friendly, both for Pickford and for the English under 21s.

AP88

Supports
Man City

Because winning together at a young age can really galvanise a generation; Italy have sent Donnarumma, Berardi, Bernardeschi, Caldara, Rugani and Andrea Conti, all €20m+ footballers.

Rashford should have gone IMO, in the same way Barkley and Sterling should have previously; omitting them only fuels the misconception that they've made it, which in turn has a negative impact on their desire.

Pirlo and Lampard were playing u21 football until 23.

Canucantona20

It's a major problem in the England youth setup. Players who shouldn't be playing for the u21 national team are being picked by managers for no reason. Recognizing talent putting those players in your side, and removing players who are not good enough/ past it (Gerrard, Milner, Hart) is something England needs to work on.

Back to Pickford, if he has a good season for Everton I don't see a reason why he shouldn't be starting in the World Cup.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

Rashford should be there too, what did he learn with his average 60 mins against Scotland? Unlike plenty of other nations England are stuck thinking playing players in the seniors is better for their development than playing in an international tournie

Rafateria

Considering they are going to want around 80 to 100 mil for Lukaku alongside another 50-60 for Barkley I don't think its that unreasonable a figure for Everton to achieve.
Those two figures are figments of someone's imagination. Yours perhaps.

NK86

Did you reply to the wrong post ? We're talking about available strikers here.
What I meant was, just because a better player is transferring outside PL, it does not mean he will be more expensive.

Rafateria

What I meant was, just because a better player is transferring outside PL, it does not mean he will be more expensive.
Absolutely there will be the PL Premium. But, although Lukaku had a good record last year he hasn't been at that level before, which could be a positive considering his age : 10+5 (36), 18+6 (37) and 25+6 (37) but in my opinion there is no way he is going for £60m+, he just isn't THAT good. Barkley is hardly worth talking about as I doubt any top team will be interested in him, he isn't better, and is far more inconsistent, than any of the incumbents, so can't see where any £50m+ fee would come from.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Absolutely there will be the PL Premium. But, although Lukaku had a good record last year he hasn't been at that level before, which could be a positive considering his age : 10+5 (36), 18+6 (37) and 25+6 (37) but in my opinion there is no way he is going for £60m+, he just isn't THAT good. Barkley is hardly worth talking about as I doubt any top team will be interested in him, he isn't better, and is far more inconsistent, than any of the incumbents, so can't see where any £50m+ fee would come from.
Wait to be very much shocked/surprised when Lukaku moves to Chelsea.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's very average, massively overrated and his kicking is awful

£30m :lol:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He has a ton of potential but needs to sort out his distribution when under pressure. He gave the ball away about 2 times straight to one of our attackers, setting up a short counter.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's a good stopper, though we didn't see it today. Didn't really have much chance with any of them. Neville reckons De Gea is saving Valencia's goal; I rate De Gea as the best in the world, but I'd doubt that. Nobody was stopping that.

His kicking is shite though. We should have hurried him more often as it was no secret that he crumbles when pressed. Still young though, he'll become one of the best in the league in the coming years if he can sort out his distribution and his weak foot.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
How is he over rated? He was genuinely very good for a shit Sunderland team. And £30m for a young, English keeper with a lot of potential is a bargain in 2017.
Being a good GK for a shite team who get smashed every week doesn't mean you'll be good at a top club though. It seems there's a GK who shines at a team fighting relegation every season.

saivet

I remember him being praised for his kicking at Sunderland. I'll have to see a bit more of him