Jordan Pickford...

Blind

I haven't had the pleasure of watching a full Sunderland match this season so I can't comment on distribution and set pieces. From watching the highlights he looks like an exceptional shot stopper who has the trait of putting the ball out of play or gathering it to stop rebounds that so many young keepers don't have. Worth keeping an eye on, I think Everton would be a great move where he's guaranteed to start.

Robbie Boy

No way he should be moving to us, huge risk given we have no idea what he's like when he's had a quiet day. I think it's one of those examples of a goalkeeper looking better than he is because he's playing for a shit club that gets battered constantly. Any half decent keeper will make some good saves and do well because of the sheer quantity of shots coming his way, but people won't talk about how many shots get passed him because people blame the defense instead.

He should make to a stable Premiership club next and we'll see what he's like on the quiet days and the busy days.
Yup, that's pretty much how I see it, too. I mean Mignolet was rated highly while he was there and look how that turned out.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Deal agreed to us (Everton) for 30m being confirmed by BBC now. Huge amount of money!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That's more than they bought Lukaku for. The market has gone batshit mental this past 3 years.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Am I right in saying this makes him the 3rd most expensive keeper ever?

kentafuji

I suppose he could easily be their keeper for the next 15 years, so it would be money well spent in the long term

Plus, if he does well and other clubs come in they can probably get that back plus more

Am I right in saying this makes him the 3rd most expensive keeper ever?
Yeah I believe so

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Good signing in my view, and a fair price. Going to improve Everton in a much needed position IMO, good business overall.

PoTMS

Good keeper but fecking hell, the pricetag is eye-watering. Guess it's that English tax and Premier League money which makes deals like this the norm.

salford_

of course he isnt worth it. Good keeper for his age... still think Butland is better, by some distance too (when fit)

Thunderhead

Supports
City
bonkers, the market is going to go into overdrive this summer

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think hel be a good signing. 30m got his consistency and age, along with potential to only get better. Most definately. City bought Ederson from Benfica for more/the same, and as always there's a risk that he as a goalkeeper might not adapt to the style of the league.

Everton also needed to replace Howard quite badly, it's a position they sorely needed to fix so the transfer price makes even more sense.

Sylar

The price tag is what you would expect in 2017.

Smart move by Everton to get him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I can't attest to ever paying specific attention, but could a lot of his attention be coming from the fact he's a bit of a typical relegation bound lionheart 'keeper? In the sense that he's facing about a billion shots per game, making him look a lot better than the average mid-table 'keeper? Similar to Tom Heaton, and the likes of Marshall of Cardiff(?) before him...? I guess he has age on his side compared to the others.

Angelinho

Young and homegrown - while the fee may not be cheap, would expect Everton to be able to more than recoup their money even if he only fulfills some of his potential. The market seems more inflated than usual this summer, but it's unlikely to collapse anytime soon.

starman

I think hes pretty good, but probably 10m overpriced, however that would nothing if he goes on to be next England keeper and stays at Everton for a considerable amount of time. That said, i am sure he was out of contract next summer..

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think hes pretty good, but probably 10m overpriced, however that would nothing if he goes on to be next England keeper and stays at Everton for a considerable amount of time. That said, i am sure he was out of contract next summer..
No. His contract expires in 2020.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
of course he isnt worth it. Good keeper for his age... still think Butland is better, by some distance too (when fit)
I agree, I hope Butland can return to full fitness next season

Castia

The market is crazy.

Good young English keeper though.

Swaters16

I can't attest to ever paying specific attention, but could a lot of his attention be coming from the fact he's a bit of a typical relegation bound lionheart 'keeper? In the sense that he's facing about a billion shots per game, making him look a lot better than the average mid-table 'keeper? Similar to Tom Heaton, and the likes of Marshall of Cardiff(?) before him...? I guess he has age on his side compared to the others.
That's what I was thinking, but he is a better player than the likes of Marshall and Heaton in my opinion. It's more a matter of how much better, which is pretty hard to tell when a keeper plays for a team as bad as Sunderland

SirMattBugsby

Three dots in title. OP really likes him ;)

On a serious note, good signing by Everton. Perfectly placed club to exploit his heroics against top teams and have an outside chance for top four.
Okay, top six.

AKDevil

That's what I was thinking, but he is a better player than the likes of Marshall and Heaton in my opinion. It's more a matter of how much better, which is pretty hard to tell when a keeper plays for a team as bad as Sunderland
Think thing with Pickford is he makes saves a keeper has no right to make. Done that numerous times this season so that is different to just being a keeper who is peppered with shots and therefore has a high 'saves/game' etc ratings.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Great signing for Everton, and an equally good move for the player.

The amount of anti-Anglo sentiment on these forums is weird; if he'd performed the same way for Dortmund or Monaco last year he'd be universally popular.

I like the identity that Koeman is cultivating at Everton, can see it emulating Spurs to an extent over the next few seasons; buying up and developing the best young British talent, the old Ferguson formula that Woodward abandoned in his quest to make United the most marketable Europa League team in history.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Think we all have to accept the way the market is these days, if he is a mainstay at Everton for 10 years say... that's a brilliant buy. I said I would liked to have taken him or Butland if we did lose DDG so im very interested to see how he does at Everton :)

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
£30 million! Overpriced but the transfer market now is ridiculous. Talented player but too much money imo.

Red_Beans

If Pickford is a 30 million pound keeper in todays market, what is De Gea worth?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Really justifies our decision (if true) to turn down the bid for De Gea.