Jordan Pickford...

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Zaragoza, Macedonia....
Still harsh I feel, over a 20 year career. I think he was world class in his day and on a completely different level to the other names on that list. Just made me sad seeing him on the same list as Pickford and Carson!

arthurka

His heroics at the world cup will have bought him more time, but Dean should be the backup most definitely.

I should hope Dean will be #1 very soon though.
Yes he probably needs to wait a bit more.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
His heroics at the world cup will have bought him more time, but Dean should be the backup most definitely.

I should hope Dean will be #1 very soon though.
Thing is though, he actually tends to perform for England.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Still harsh I feel, over a 20 year career. I think he was world class in his day and on a completely different level to the other names on that list. Just made me sad seeing him on the same list as Pickford and Carson!
Yeah, he was quality, even the best make mistakes. It's crazy to think we went from having loads of quality goalkeepers for years, especially in the 60s and 70s, to this. We STILL haven't replaced Seaman for nearly 20 years.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
But for how long is what I would say

It was the same thing with Hart, but sooner or later the club form bleeds over
Not sure I agree re Hart, if anything I think his England form went first (months after Euro 16 which he royally fecked up the nation went on an outrage on his behalf when Pep dare decided to replace him).

I think Pickford is the opposite of what we're use to seeing with England, he looks like someone who see's club football as a chore but absolutely loves playing for England.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Yeah, he was quality, even the best make mistakes. It's crazy to think we went from having loads of quality goalkeepers for years, especially in the 60s and 70s, to this. We STILL haven't replaced Seaman for nearly 20 years.
Keepers are being asked to do so much now and have such a large skill set, that it’s no wonder there aren’t the same amount.

I think the pressure of being England GK must be insane too. Anyone else on the pitch can make several mistakes a game and get off with it. If you make one all tournament long, you’re a laughing stock.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Keepers are being asked to do so much now and have such a large skill set, that it’s no wonder there aren’t the same amount.

I think the pressure of being England GK must be insane too. Anyone else on the pitch can make several mistakes a game and get off with it. If you make one all tournament long, you’re a laughing stock.
True enough, but the likes of Pickford and Hart are just not on Seaman's level, I hope Henderson can reach that level, and with us too.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I'd go with that. When I was at school, the debate was always whether or not it was Seaman or Schmeichel who was the best goalkeeper in the PL. Those two were always a tier above the likes of James, Martyn, Flowers etc.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I am a fan of Pickford and he is still relatively young for a goalkeeper.
Yes he makes the occasional mistake.
So does DDG and every other keeper.

His main attribute apart from being a top class shot stopper is the way he commands his area.

Alabaster Codify7

I'd go with that. When I was at school, the debate was always whether or not it was Seaman or Schmeichel who was the best goalkeeper in the PL. Those two were always a tier above the likes of James, Martyn, Flowers etc.

Flowers was a great shot-stopper and cocky, reminds me a bit of the modern England #1's in that regard. Martyn, I always liked.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Flowers was a great shot-stopper and cocky, reminds me a bit of the modern England #1's in that regard. Martyn, I always liked.
Yeah I always thought Nigel Martyn was decent. Not the level of Seaman, but a good solid keeper.

As a kid I always really liked Ian Walker too for some reason.

FujiVice

Nigel Martyn was a really good keeper. David Seaman was one of the best keepers in Europe.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Undoubtedly. It's not fair to judge Seaman on what he was doing in his late 30s after a solid career's worth of service. He was huge for England at Euro '96, pulling off some big and decisive saves against Scotland (Durie header, McCallister penalty), Holland and Spain (Nadal penalty). And solid again at the World Cup in 1998. England simply didn't have to worry about the no1 shirt during the second half of the 1990s, which is the last time they could have said that.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
This guy has transformed into Joe Hart. And that's not the Hart who was class for 3-4 years but Hart anno 2016 who was a complete hothead and a walking disaster.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
This guy has transformed into Joe Hart. And that's not the Hart who was class for 3-4 years but Hart anno 2016 who was a complete hothead and a walking disaster.
Was Hart ever really class?

Fosu-Mens

Transformed? Never been any good, has he?

He is a good keeper as long as the shots are close to his body. His saving range, however, is subpar and goals that a number of other keepers would save are not mistakes. He is just physically unable to save them (short arms). Reminds me of a skinny version of Buzz McCallister.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Was Hart ever really class?
He was excellent for Birmingham and had a couple of good seasons at City. Racked up a few golden gloves. I'd say he was class but never anywhere near the best in the world as City fans would have you believing at the time.

Bojan11

He really is garbage. Everton need to replace this clown quick.

Bojan11

Transformed? Never been any good, has he?

He is a good keeper as long as the shots are close to his body. His saving range, however, is subpar and goals that a number of other keepers would save are not mistakes. He is just physically unable to save them (short arms). Reminds me of a skinny version of Buzz McCallister.
Even at Sunderland he was making easy mistakes. It just wasn’t glorified because how bad Sunderland were.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's a clown in goal, a reminder of these quality posts earlier in this thread

ive watched all of his games for preston north end and hes really good moron
its been four games moron get back to me when you have spent a season watching jordan pickford from the midland road stand like i have
you know feck all about goalkeepers you moron. keep jordan pickfords name out of your mouth

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Tom Davies isn't even good enough for the Championship and yet he's made over 100 Premier league appearances for us. It's frightening.

Edit - Wrong thread but i suppose if you swap Davies out for Pickford it would still apply.

Fosu-Mens

Even at Sunderland he was making easy mistakes. It just wasn’t glorified because how bad Sunderland were.
Yeah. If the goal was considerably smaller, he could be a good keeper. His only decent attribute is his reactiontime. Being able to hit the ball long is not useful unless you have a tower up front.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Think it was mentioned in the Kepa/De Gea thread but his insistence (like Kepa) to swing his arms and throwing himself around before a shot makes saveable shots look unsaveable and saveable shots look unsaveable.

I truly believe all he does it for the cameras. Same with his laughing and strutting around like a peacock, his ego cannot cope that he doesn't get any shine so has to make the moments about him.

Whenever he almost costs his team with complete idiocy or horrific technique, he's laughing and joking.

35m - a very poor purchase and symptomatic of Everton's issues.

Fingeredmouse

Tom Davies isn't even good enough for the Championship and yet he's made over 100 Premier league appearances for us. It's frightening.

Edit - Wrong thread but i suppose if you swap Davies out for Pickford it would still apply.
Yes, Davies would likely be better in goal than Pickford. Worth a shot.

Based Adnan

Waistcoat Gaz needs to drop him ASAP. Bed Henderson in for the next year before the Euros.

Riz

I remember Neville commentating on their game vs City earlier in the season where he got away with another mistake and was smiling and laughing afterwards just like in this clip saying “I don’t know why he’s laughing they’re 3-0 down” or something like that. If I was an Everton fan seeing that reaction on his face sticking his tongue out and grinning I’d be fuming.