José looking to sign 6 players in summer - 2CM, LB, RB, W, CB [Times]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

Assuming the budget will be larger compared to last years to fit the number of signings needed, United for sure will get 5 players and José will push for that 6th being a RB with it the least priority of the positions already having Valencia there who can still hold his own if it comes down to it...depends on owners and if they’ll allow to spend extra really. Been spending around £150m the past couple summer windows, this’ll be the most crucial one and I’m guessing around £200m bill give or take (City spent £285m this year in comparison; no way we compete with the Sheikhs but can’t let them virtually double us in spending again with us having a big void to fill).

Who do you predict United will get?

CM: SMS

CM: Fred / Jorginho

RW: Willian / Bale / Mahrez

CB: Alderweireld / Umtiti

LB: Sandro (Darmian+cash)

RB: Fabinho / Meunier

Edit - my assessment of how 6 signings will be possible: 4 would be the norm. Mourinho has the boards backing and they’ll give him a 5th. The 6th will made possible if Martial ends up being sold.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Sandro, Toby, pulisic, fred, sms

Don't really know which rb

Raw

SMS, Jorginho, Mahrez, Alderweireld, Sandro and Meunier would be an absolutely fantastic summer.

It'd cost us almost 300m though, so no excuses. We have to be proper title challengers.

Silas

How many of these threads do we need? FWIW, I imagine we have 4 'must' transfers and then 2 bonus ones, which are dependent on outgoings. I only see us getting a RW if Martial leaves and a 2nd CM if Pereira leaves.

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
I really can't see us signing six players, five at a stretch.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Assuming the budget will be larger compared to last years to fit the number of signings needed, United for sure will get 5 players and José will push for that 6th being a RB with it the least priority of the positions already having Valencia there who can still hold his own if it comes down to it...depends on owners and if they’ll allow to spend extra really. Been spending around £150m the past couple summer windows, this’ll be the most crucial one and I’m guessing around £200m bill give or take (City spent £285m this year in comparison; no way we compete with the Sheikhs but can’t let them virtually double us in spending again with us having a big void to fill).

Who do you predict United will get?

CM: SMS

CM: Fred / Jorginho

RW: Willian / Bale / Mahrez

CB: Alderweireld / Umtiti

LB: Sandro (Darmian+cash)

RB: Fabinho / Meunier
Even if we do end up signing 6 players, there's no way we'll be signing SMS+ Fred/Jorginho!
Our CMs would then be Pogba, Matic, the 2 new guys + Herrera (if he stays) and Mctominay (if he isnt loaned out) Absolutely no way Jose can keep all of them happy

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
SMS, Jorginho, Mahrez, Alderweireld, Sandro and Meunier would be an absolutely fantastic summer.

It'd cost us almost 300m though, so no excuses. We have to be proper title challengers.
We would recoup some money by offloading too. Maybe a good player will help us raise funds.. sadly i think that would be martial

Redlyn

I don't know who sms but I hope we don't sign him. It would do my head in to read sms everyday.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Same.

If it comes to it, I think RB will be left since they can rely on Valencia to give 1 more year. And better to have Valencia and a new RW to link up with than a new RB and no RW. Sandro (knock on wood) will link up with Sanchez on the left so the right side can do with or without Valencia as long as we get a RW.

Sanche7

Does the Times piece actually mention that we are after 6 players?
The one about Sandro says we are after 2 CM, LB & Winger.

Also I'll be pretty happy with LB, CB, CM, RW provided we get quality additions who can come in and elevate our team a level or two.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Incoming Transfers
  • Lb: Alex Sandro - 45m
  • Center back: Alderweireld - 40m
  • Rb: Cedric Soares - 15m
  • CM: Fred - 30m
  • Winger: Sessegnon - 50m
Total - £180m

Outgoing transfers:
  • Martial - 70m
  • Blind - 10m
  • Darmian - 15m
  • Fellaini - 0
  • Carrick - 0
  • Pereira - 10m
  • Rojo (hopefully) - 20m
  • Mata (hopefully) - 15m
Total: £100-140m (dependent on last 2 leaving)

Budget is there for another big midfield or attacking purchase though. Just no idea who.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Even if we do end up signing 6 players, there's no way we'll be signing SMS+ Fred/Jorginho!
Our CMs would then be Pogba, Matic, the 2 new guys + Herrera (if he stays) and Mctominay (if he isnt loaned out) Absolutely no way Jose can keep all of them happy
We’re signing 2 CMs no doubt about it. José has said so all year long we’ll need to replace Carrick as well as get another CM in general.

Not a big stretch imo. Pogba+Matic+Fred/SMS start. Other is a primary bench option. Likewise Herrera as he is now + can rotate with Matic at DM when he needs a rest.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think we'll certainly get three. CM, RW, LB. With other signings coming in depending on certain players becoming available:

CM: Milinkovic-Savic
LB: Sandro/Tierney
RW: Willian

I think we'll leave RB for another 6 months and alternate between TFM and Valencia, if that doesn't work out I wouldn't be surprised to see us have a deal lined up in January, wouldn't mind seeing us go for Fabinho though. CB will depend on actual quality players becoming available (Alderweireld/Umtiti). I think we'll have a deal lined up for Fred if Fellaini leaves.

There seems to be a lack of quality right sided players who are available at the moment, I wouldn't mind seeing us go for Malcom at RW, although I suspect we'll lean more towards Willian (with Martial going the other way) and possibly promote Chong to back up. Mahrez could be a possibility too.

anant

We’re signing 2 CMs no doubt about it. José has said so all year long we’ll need to replace Carrick as well as get another CM in general.

Not a big stretch imo. Pogba+Matic+Fred/SMS start. Other is a primary bench option. Likewise Herrera as he is now + can rotate with Matic at DM when he needs a rest.
We'll be signing 2 CMs but not SMS and one of Jorginho/Fred. SMS is going to cost 60m approx atleast, Jorginho/Fred upwards of 40m. Doesn't make sense to have such an expensive player on bench regularly.

Nickosaur

I think it will be four, five at a stretch.

LB, CM then RB should be our priority. But if a good RW and CB is available then we should definitely show interest.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
We would recoup some money by offloading too. Maybe a good player will help us raise funds.. sadly i think that would be martial
Yep.

As it stands, Juvé are very interested in Darmian and would be willing to acquire him + £35m or so in exchange for Sandro which would be a great bit of business for us considering Darmian is deadwood here. Would essentially cut Sandro’s cost close to half and like you say, if Martial is sold - his funds will definitely be used to get the players/positions we need.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Incoming Transfers
  • Lb: Alex Sandro - 45m
  • Center back: Alderweireld - 40m
  • Rb: Cedric Soares - 15m
  • CM: Fred - 30m
  • Winger: Sessegnon - 50m
Total - £180m

Outgoing transfers:
  • Martial - 70m
  • Blind - 10m
  • Darmian - 15m
  • Fellaini - 0
  • Carrick - 0
  • Pereira - 10m
  • Rojo (hopefully) - 20m
  • Mata (hopefully) - 15m
Total: £100-140m (dependent on last 2 leaving)

Budget is there for another big midfield or attacking purchase though. Just no idea who.
That's a major leap to assume clubs would be willing to pay that much for Martial. If he was more involved then maybe, but he won't even make the world cup with the lack of minutes he's gotten since Sanchez arrived. I can't see him going out for that much money. Maybe 50m at the most.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
We'll be signing 2 CMs but not SMS and one of Jorginho/Fred. SMS is going to cost 60m approx atleast, Jorginho/Fred upwards of 40m. Doesn't make sense to have such an expensive player on bench regularly.
Jorginho would cost north of 40 yes but then again he could be Matic’s successor as he’s a deep lying playmaker so that makes sense for him to play in that ‘DM’ spot. Fred won’t cost north of 40 imo. At most 40 even but I think it’ll be below around 35.

Morpheus 7

It won't happen, we all know what we need but Jose is going on about playing Young all season. There is definitely going to frustration in this window.

Joseunited

It won't happen, we all know what we need but Jose is going on about playing Young all season. There is definitely going to frustration in this window.
Or he's letting Ed know if he doesn't get his chequebook out, that's how bad things are going to be next season.

Canagel

If true very good. This goes along with I what I already mentioned in the 2018/19 realistic line up thread. We desperately need addition across defense and midfield. The team also needs some top crossers next season to move to the next level and experts from deadball situations.
There has to be top quality additions in midfield. We are nowhere near the quality required to compete with the best teams. You all saw a rusty Carrick today and he contributed more in one game than Matic, Herrera have all season. We need players capable of retaining the ball, carrying it through the midfield and also speed up our ball circulation.
6 players is definitely the number we need to bring up the quality of the team. If we can get rid of some dead wood then it should be possible.
Perfect summer would be:
RB - Meunier
LB - Alex Sandro
CB - Alderweireld
CM - Jorginho
CM - Lemar
RW - Mahrez

Last edited:

waza7111

A quality player is at least £50 million these days so that could be close to £300 million. But I expect a lot of players to leave also and we should get over £100 million in sales.

These players are likely to leave along with Carrick retiring.

Mata, Martial, Fellaini, Shaw, Blind, Darmian, A Pereira, CBJ, Johnstone, Smalling/Jones

Next season's squad with new signings:

De Gea, Romero, J Pereira
New RB, Valencia, TFM, Smalling/Jones, New CB, Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo, New LB, Young
Pogba, Matic, Herrera, McTominay, New CM, New CM
New RW
, Lingard, Sanchez, Rashford, Lukaku

reddaz71

Savic
Sandro
Bale
Fred/Jorghino
Fabinho
Umtiti

Have a feeling we could also be in for Malcolm for the RW position.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It would be wise for people to lower down expectations because it will get vile here during summer. 6 is a pretty big number, can see 3 or 4 coming in, especially with the World Cup.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
A quality player is at least £50 million these days so that could be close to £300 million. But I expect a lot of players to leave also and we should get over £100 million in sales.

These players are likely to leave along with Carrick retiring.

Mata, Martial, Fellaini, Shaw, Blind, Darmian, A Pereira, CBJ, Johnstone, Smalling/Jones

Next season's squad with new signings:

De Gea, Romero, J Pereira
New RB, Valencia, TFM, Smalling/Jones, New CB, Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo, New LB, Young
Pogba, Matic, Herrera, McTominay, New CM, New CM
New RW
, Lingard, Sanchez, Rashford, Lukaku
Spot on.

Especially the last bit with the depth chart, who our projected players will be/who will be let go & the new players/positions needed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That's a major leap to assume clubs would be willing to pay that much for Martial. If he was more involved then maybe, but he won't even make the world cup with the lack of minutes he's gotten since Sanchez arrived. I can't see him going out for that much money. Maybe 50m at the most.
22 year old promising young player who is a winger/forward who is capable of brilliant moments, can score pretty regularly and create pretty regularly? Yeah he'll go for over 50m easily. There was some speculation that he was valued at 80m in todays market. We bought him 3 years ago in a much different market for a fee rising to almost 60m. His reputation was permanently enhanced after his first season, and especially in a market where Dembele and Mbappe after pretty much 1 season went for over 100m, Martial will go for 60m at the very least IMO.

Alan Andersonnnnnn

Supports
Ipswich Town

That would be the best summer ever, like others have said it's literally half a new team so it's probably not the most realistic, even if we did sign 6 players it'd be a real shock if they were all players of that quality.

Though if we were ever considering buying Neymar, I would hope someone would tell Ed to get the feck away and just buy these lads instead, we'd literally have a world class starting 11.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I hope to see at least some business pre-world cup.

Very interested to see how the team will look like in August.

anant

Jorginho would cost north of 40 yes but then again he could be Matic’s successor as he’s a deep lying playmaker so that makes sense for him to play in that ‘DM’ spot. Fred won’t cost north of 40 imo. At most 40 even but I think it’ll be below around 35.
CM: SMS - 60m

CM: Fred / Jorginho - 35m/40m

RW: Willian / Bale / Mahrez - 60m

CB: Alderweireld / Umtiti - 40-50m/60m

LB: Sandro (Darmian+cash) - 50m (Juve will get 60m for him from other clubs aleast, Darmian won't sell for more than 10m now)

RB: Fabinho / Meunier (35-40m)

No way are we buying players worth atleast 290m!

Lets include the outs as well.

Martial - 60m
Shaw- 25m (max)
Blind- 15m (max)
Smalling/Jones 25m
And that is it.

Net spend of roughly 170m is unlikely

PhilipVDB

Does the Times piece actually mention that we are after 6 players?
The one about Sandro says we are after 2 CM, LB & Winger.

Also I'll be pretty happy with LB, CB, CM, RW provided we get quality additions who can come in and elevate our team a level or two.
quoted from the article:
"Mourinho - who also intends to reinforce the centre and right side of his defence ..."

deafepl

Out: Shaw 28m (according to reports), Darmin 15m, Blind 20m, Martial 60m, Johnstone 10m and Smalling or Jones 25m. Total outgoing: £158m

Alderweireld £40m
Meunier £40m
Sandro £50m
Fred £40m
Verrati or Kroos £100m
Bale £60m

Total spending incoming: £330m + Outgoing: £158m = £172m spending net.

De Gea
Meunier Bailly Alderweirld Sandro
Kroos/Verrati Matic Pogba
Bale Lukaku Sanchez

Bench: Joel Periera, Fred, Chong/Lingard, Valencia, Herrera, Rashford, Lindelof.​

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Savic
Sandro
Bale
Fred/Jorghino
Fabinho
Umtiti

Have a feeling we could also be in for Malcolm for the RW position.
I don’t think so. I wouldn’t mind him at all but I just don’t feel it.

United want to win so I think José and the club will be focused on bringing in cemented players versus younger players who are more so projects for the future. Similar reason to why we got Sanchez and why Martial’s tenure may be up and using his sale funds to purchase a player in a different position of need. That’s just how I see things playing out. Would be surprised if we get someone ‘unproven’. Same reason why I’m ruling out Sessegnon even though I would love to get him.

deafepl

CM: SMS - 60m

CM: Fred / Jorginho - 35m/40m

RW: Willian / Bale / Mahrez - 60m

CB: Alderweireld / Umtiti - 40-50m/60m

LB: Sandro (Darmian+cash) - 50m (Juve will get 60m for him from other clubs aleast, Darmian won't sell for more than 10m now)

RB: Fabinho / Meunier (35-40m)

No way are we buying players worth atleast 290m!

Lets include the outs as well.

Martial - 60m
Shaw- 25m (max)
Blind- 15m (max)
Smalling/Jones 25m
And that is it.

Net spend of roughly 170m is unlikely
Very similar to my post. :lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.