José Mourinho | 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluctuation0161

Come off yourself. Pep built a winning machine, Jose built a new Arsenal. Zidane did something that Jose cant even dream of. Conte pissed all over Jose in his first season in the prem. It is up to Jose to prove himself. So far he us shite in the league and clueless in CL.
I'm no Jose lover but yours is an especially ridiculous statement when you consider the quality of the squad Conte inherited from Jose at Chelsea. Also considering the shite squad Jose inherited at United. Our squad had been mismanaged for years.

Bobski

The budget he has with United is definitely lower than what he had with Chelsea back then , He bought like Drogba, Essien, Makelele, Ashley Cole, Kezman , Crespo, Cech , Shevchenko , Robben , Malouda , Carvalho , Obi Mikel and many more ( literally over 22 players ) in just 2-3 years at chelsea. Did he do that with us ? He couldn't due to our limited budget. He would have done the same with us if we gave him unlimited budget.
That should be every managers response to criticism, give me unlimited funds and I will buy the best squad in the league.

Not much of an achievement is it?.

maniwin

That should be every managers response to criticism, give me unlimited funds and I will buy the best squad in the league.

Not much of an achievement is it?.
Exactly , that's why Pep achievement is meaningless and puny according to your logic.
No manager can win the league with shite squad , they aren't the one who play football on the pitch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The budget he has with United is definitely lower than what he had with Chelsea back then , He bought like Drogba, Essien, Makelele, Ashley Cole, Kezman , Crespo, Cech , Shevchenko , Robben , Malouda , Carvalho , Obi Mikel and many more ( literally over 22 players ) in just 2-3 years at chelsea. Did he do that with us ? He couldn't due to our limited budget. He would have done the same with us if we gave him unlimited budget.
Out of 10 outfield players, 8 are Jose's signing. He is backed by the board and spent as needed. You can't always hide behind "need more money" excuse.

fellaini's barber

Liverpool have bought like 2/3 players and many are already expecting them to challenge because of how they overachieved last season. Says a lot that Jose's fanboys are already giving excuses why we will not challenge despite Jose outspending Klopp and buying more than 10 players. Clubs who have done nothing close to us in terms of transfers seem more confident for the new season than us

Eddy_JukeZ

What do you mean by a "title challenge" anyway? If City finishes with 100 points you'd expect Mourinho to close up on 100 too? If City fails to perform as well and finishes with 88 points while we finish with 82, Mourinho becomes a success? Mourinho's success now depends on how well city does?

Why are you complicating things? Title challenge means what it means. Challenging for the title. How City do is irrelevant. If Mourinho is incapable of challenging for a title after 3 seasons, he should be sacked.

jesperjaap

Haters here are now blaming Mourinho for everything, even things that are not his fault. Him not bringing in new players is not his fault, it is Ed and the board's responsibility to find the money to fund his rebuilding project. I'm sure he will love to spunk 500million on new players and cleanse all the deadwood out of the team. But that is not up to him. The board can't even buy him Perisic FFS, he would have solved our wing play problems we were all bitching about last season.

Talking about balls, Mourinho has shown the most balls from anyone since SAF. This guy benched and offloaded club legend Rooney whien other managers said he must play in every game. He offloaded World Cup legend Pig Farmer. He benched fan favourites Pogba, Martial and Shaw when they wouldn't do his shit. He benched Caf favourite Herrera after a good season because he simply isn't good enough. Balls is not something this guy is short of. I guarantee you any other guy we hire will have less balls than he does. We simply need to back his big balls up with money.

Looking at all the comments from this thread, it is clear there is a great disparity on the fan's view of where we should be and where we are. Title or bust, what indication do you have that shows our team has the quality to go for 100 points to match City?

This is dream world stuff, no manager in the world can do better with this lot. If you want to win consistently, the best and only way to do it is to spend the most. If you don't, you don't deserve to be the best. It's as simple as that. You simply have to accept we aren't the best anymore since we can't spend the most. It is hard to accept, but just look at what RAWK has become if you cannot learn to accept this fact.

To keep us from falling into complete obscurity like Liverpool and Arsenal did? To keep the ship steady while we slowly rebuild adding to our squad year after year? City probably can't keep spending forever. FFP can improve to prevent financial doping. The Sheikhs might get sick of spending so much like Roman did. Real and Barca eventually ran out of money. One day eventually, we might become top spenders again. At the meantime, let's keep our team competitive so we can seize the moment and maybe steal a few lucky title wins.
Yes it is all about spending money and it isnt his fault. He has shown balls benching Pogba our club record signing, Martial a very expensive teenage signing and Shaw a huge fee for a teenage full back? The other side of the coin is he has so far failed to get them to perform for him and bring the best out of them. Whether that is the players attititude or his man management is another thing altogether.

Also in two years he has spent £300m lets not forget on seven players. Two have already left the club, one in Lindelof hasnt improved the side (I never wanted him personally, thought he was bang average when we signed him, early days but I dont see him improving enough....another that will be off within two years in my opinion). Then there is Pogba who we all know has all the ability in the world, gets as he says overly slated as he has hardly been bad for us but why is he not performing consitantly for us....like he did for Juve and France for example? Bailly very raw but ver talented defender, one very promising season one very dissappointing one, like Pogba seems to be struggling with the manager from what we read. Looking at his signings, arguably the only ones that have been consistantly successful so far are the three players he has worked with before.

I am not saying Mourinho isnt a good manager, he obviously is. The two things for me is I am not sure he is a great one anymore like he was. More importantly I am just not sure he is the right personality or style of manager for the club long term which is a fear many seemed to have before we appointed him. I was one of those, but he was the best manager available and a move we had to make. I do hope he is backed, I do hope we make another three possibly four signings and he gets the majority of the players he wants. That way there are no excuses if he fails...not that I want him to, I want us to succeed and to be playing entertaining football. It is just opinion but the majority of the signings that he has made, the number of signings (which as you allude to may not be his fault), the keeping of players that should be out of the door (there are a lot for him to get rid of, but keeping Fellaini for example....meh), his falling out with players, the style of football we are playing, the public criticising of individual players.......there are more worrying signs than positive ones for me over the last twelve months that implosion is more likely than trophies over the next 12 months

sal klita

His last season here. I think the club gonna regret not sacking him before this season.

PepsiCola

If things remain as is, it'll be his final season at the club.

Personally, never liked him and will be happy to see the back of him.

Hawks2008

In case you have been away from football for the past few years, I'd like to inform you that we have indeed fallen to that level. We haven't been title challenges for years, we have been in and out of top 4 for the past few years. We are basically Atletico and Dortmund now, and nobody expects to beat the financial dopers. Mourinho finally stabilized the ship, bringing us back close to Fergie's level finishing the league with 80+ points and challenging for the title...except 80+ points no longer cuts it anymore. Everyone financially dopes to 100 points now. Instead of giving us the City dope, Ed gives us some cut up dope with lots of fillers that only give half a high. If Fergie was still here today, he'd fold to Pep like a pussy given how much the odds are stacked against him.

You're right, slowly rebuilding is not what Mourinho is known for. But if you want him to do what he is best at, you need to back him with the money like City is backing Pep with money.
Are you seriously equating us with teams like Atletico and Dortmund? No disrespect to them but those clubs do not have the resources behind them or the expectation to succeed as we do, but you paint us as one of those clubs like we are some plucky underdogs trying to overthrow evil empire City. This is embarrassing, you are putting down the club to defend fecking Mourinho, I would actually be surprised if there weren't more like you who support Mourinho instead of Manchester United but his cultists are everywhere evidently.

Last edited:

Pyro19

Are seriously equating us with teams like Atletico and Dortmund? No disrespect to them but those clubs do not have the resources behind them or the expectation to succeed as we do, but you paint us as one of those clubs like we are some plucky underdogs trying to overthrow evil empire City. This is embarrassing, you are putting down the club to defend fecking Mourinho, I would actually be surprised if there weren't more like you support Mourinho instead of Manchester United but his cultists are everywhere evidently.
It's insane is what it is.

People are now ready to pull out all the excuses and even equate us to the level of Dortmund and Atletico to defend Mourinho.

The wheels are turning and it's rightfully make or break time for Mourinho. If we're not in a title challenge by christmas I'm pretty sure it's curtains for the manager.

maniwin

What if it's not his last season here since the board only gave him top 4 finish as target ? CAF will be going into meltdown. :lol:

redIndianDevil

What if it's not his last season here since the board only gave him top 4 finish as target ? CAF will be going into meltdown. :lol:
I think the environment in Old Trafford will turn poisonous if Mourinho serves another season of boring football and no title challenge. Mourinho will go into a meltdown and get himself fired or the board will be forced to let him go once the season ends.

Johan07

Yes it is all about spending money and it isnt his fault. He has shown balls benching Pogba our club record signing, Martial a very expensive teenage signing and Shaw a huge fee for a teenage full back? The other side of the coin is he has so far failed to get them to perform for him and bring the best out of them. Whether that is the players attititude or his man management is another thing altogether.

Also in two years he has spent £300m lets not forget on seven players. Two have already left the club, one in Lindelof hasnt improved the side (I never wanted him personally, thought he was bang average when we signed him, early days but I dont see him improving enough....another that will be off within two years in my opinion). Then there is Pogba who we all know has all the ability in the world, gets as he says overly slated as he has hardly been bad for us but why is he not performing consitantly for us....like he did for Juve and France for example? Bailly very raw but ver talented defender, one very promising season one very dissappointing one, like Pogba seems to be struggling with the manager from what we read. Looking at his signings, arguably the only ones that have been consistantly successful so far are the three players he has worked with before.

I am not saying Mourinho isnt a good manager, he obviously is. The two things for me is I am not sure he is a great one anymore like he was. More importantly I am just not sure he is the right personality or style of manager for the club long term which is a fear many seemed to have before we appointed him. I was one of those, but he was the best manager available and a move we had to make. I do hope he is backed, I do hope we make another three possibly four signings and he gets the majority of the players he wants. That way there are no excuses if he fails...not that I want him to, I want us to succeed and to be playing entertaining football. It is just opinion but the majority of the signings that he has made, the number of signings (which as you allude to may not be his fault), the keeping of players that should be out of the door (there are a lot for him to get rid of, but keeping Fellaini for example....meh), his falling out with players, the style of football we are playing, the public criticising of individual players.......there are more worrying signs than positive ones for me over the last twelve months that implosion is more likely than trophies over the next 12 months
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I really hope that the club is getting some kind of longterm plan in place as we speak. It might not mean that Mourinho goes during this season or even next summer. Im not sure that would be the best course of action either, since the squad now is built to play Mourinho-football and nothing else. When the transition hopefully happens we are going to need to purchase almost an entire new central line. Players like Smalling, Matic, Fellaini and maybe even Lukaku needs to leave if we are going to play another type of football. Or at least their playing time needs to be significally reduced. Thats not going to happen overnight or over a season though.

And dont get me wrong: I dont want to get rid of them now. They are good players perfect for the type of football that Mourinho plays, and as long as he is here I hope they will play significant roles.

I just want that the club now takes a really hard look at what it wants to represent in the future. Get a DOF in that can represent the continuity that the club needs, set the basic structure of how United are supposed to play (offensively) and accept that managers today dont stay on more than 2-3 years in general. Identify one or two managers that can apply that "philosophy" and pounce when anyone of them becomes available. And back that manager in the transfer market immediately. And finally accept that it might be a challenge to switch playing style again. Our biggest mistake after SAF has been appointing a defensive coach in Moyes, then an offensive one in LVG and then again switching back to a defensive coach in Mourinho. There needs to be continuity in the way the club wants to play or we will never return to where we should be. My 5 cents at least.....

Last edited:

Water Melon

I'm no Jose lover but yours is an especially ridiculous statement when you consider the quality of the squad Conte inherited from Jose at Chelsea. Also considering the shite squad Jose inherited at United. Our squad had been mismanaged for years.
Aye, aye stick to your guns. Jose is deeply underachieving with what he has, while fecking Sterling looks world class under Pep and shows his true colours while playing for England NT. Our squad is good enougj to challenge for the Prem and CL. Shitshow imitation of a title challenge until December does not cut it. Get your excuses ready for another major trophyless season with Mou.

Water Melon

So you want us to become Liverpool. Got it. Let's finish third in the league and focus on getting as far as we can in the CL only to lose in the end. That's the Manchester United way.
Bollocks. You want us to become Arse. A shit trophy ecery couple of years. Two seasons of no title challenge. Being played out of the part against Sevilla. Klopp has done much better in CL with average Pool than Jose with United having bought 7-8 new players. Conte and Pep pissed on Jose in the prem. This season is very likely to be another shitshow. No proper title challenge for 3 seasons having spent half a billion? Feck off Jose, I'd say.

Treble

There is little point in criticising Jose before seeing the first 10-12 games in the new season, unless we lose several games already in August/September.

Maybe Jose has it in him to build and improve patiently teams, who knows?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Are you seriously equating us with teams like Atletico and Dortmund? No disrespect to them but those clubs do not have the resources behind them or the expectation to succeed as we do, but you paint us as one of those clubs like we are some plucky underdogs trying to overthrow evil empire City. This is embarrassing, you are putting down the club to defend fecking Mourinho, I would actually be surprised if there weren't more like you support Mourinho instead of Manchester United but his cultists are everywhere evidently.
It’s utterly fecking pathetic mate.

MUFC OK

According to who?

You can't just magic 100+ points to overturn City from thin air you know. City spent about 5-6 years and close to a billion pounds building their title winning squad.

United are still about 6-7 signings away from being able to compete with City, there's still some incredibly poor-standard squad players here and gaping gaps of quality in our first team squad.

Mourinho, 2 seasons into re-building this squad rightfully won't be sacked if we continue to hit 80 points and strengthen our squad each summer.

Zidane can't make Darmian, Jones and Blind world beaters
. We just need a better core of players before we can judge any manager on failing to win the league.
I'm glad most are coming to this realisation. It can't be that we have a world class manager, several top class new signings and they are all sh*t. Its the like of the players above who have held this squad back for years. They must be replaced.

What Van Gaal did bringing 4/5 players in was the right thing to do, but they were the wrong signings. We need something like that again.

Christie

Why are you complicating things? Title challenge means what it means. Challenging for the title. How City do is irrelevant. If Mourinho is incapable of challenging for a title after 3 seasons, he should be sacked.
Surely this isn't too hard to understand is it? We are in a race for points with City. How City does is 100% relevant to how we can finish in the race.

If you are in a 100m race with Usain Bolt and he runs a 9.85s. If you have the ability to run a sub 9.9, you can challenge Bolt to the Gold. However if Bolt runs a 9.7s, there is no way you will be anywhere near him at the finish line if you run a 9.8+s race. How is Bolt's performance irrelevant to your title challenge?

Are you seriously equating us with teams like Atletico and Dortmund? No disrespect to them but those clubs do not have the resources behind them or the expectation to succeed as we do, but you paint us as one of those clubs like we are some plucky underdogs trying to overthrow evil empire City. This is embarrassing, you are putting down the club to defend fecking Mourinho, I would actually be surprised if there weren't more like you support Mourinho instead of Manchester United but his cultists are everywhere evidently.
It's insane is what it is.

People are now ready to pull out all the excuses and even equate us to the level of Dortmund and Atletico to defend Mourinho.

The wheels are turning and it's rightfully make or break time for Mourinho. If we're not in a title challenge by christmas I'm pretty sure it's curtains for the manager.
It’s utterly fecking pathetic mate.
It's posts like this that shows how far the fans expections are with reality, much like RAWK are. You think Atletico and Dortmund do not have the resources to succeed, yet you somehow believe that we have these resources in abundance? Where is our 500 million spend this season then? Why are we not splashing out on Ronaldo and Hazard then? Why is Perisic, Toby and Sandro such a hard buy?

Yes, we probably have more than those 2 teams, but what we have simply isn't enough to overthrow the moneybags clubs. And you are right, those clubs do not have the expectation to succeed as we do. Thus, maybe it's time for you to re-evaluate your expectations for the club given our current actual resources available.

steffyr2

Bollocks. You want us to become Arse. A shit trophy ecery couple of years. Two seasons of no title challenge. Being played out of the part against Sevilla. Klopp has done much better in CL with average Pool than Jose with United having bought 7-8 new players. Conte and Pep pissed on Jose in the prem. This season is very likely to be another shitshow. No proper title challenge for 3 seasons having spent half a billion? Feck off Jose, I'd say.
Over and over and over and over and over and over and over.......

AndyJ1985

In the time Jose has been here we still play poor football and look nowhere near ready to challenge for the title, let alone the CL. In the same time Guardiola has built a formidable team that looked unstoppable for parts of last season, and Klopp is building a very exciting young team that play fantastic football - they also got within touching distance of winning the CL. It's not crazy for people to be worried and believe Jose isn't the right man for the job.

redIndianDevil

In the time Jose has been here we still play poor football and look nowhere near ready to challenge for the title, let alone the CL. In the same time Guardiola has built a formidable team that looked unstoppable for parts of last season, and Klopp is building a very exciting young team that play fantastic football - they also got within touching distance of winning the CL. It's not crazy for people to be worried and believe Jose isn't the right man for the job.
It helps in transfers that they've got a set way of playing, they are slowly plugging all the holes in the team. Bought a good defender last year, buying a world class goalkeeper this season.

klsv

His last season here. I think the club gonna regret not sacking him before this season.
Yeah, sure. Should have been sacked after we finished in the second place, the best in the league post-SAF? After getting 81 points in the league, having won the leage with 80 points in 00/01 and 10/11, we got 79 points during the treble season. This is 11 points more than the second best season after Fergie and 17 points more than the worst season after Fergie. A title challenge last season would have meant we'd had to beat our all-time point record of 91 from the 99/2000 season. Or should have we sacked him after winning the Europa League? And no, playing "boring football" is also not going to get a manager of a top team sacked.

Kaarel

Yeah, sure. Should have been sacked after we finished in the second place, the best in the league post-SAF? After getting 81 points in the league, having won the leage with 80 points in 00/01 and 10/11, we got 79 points during the treble season. This is 11 points more than the second best season after Fergie and 17 points more than the worst season after Fergie. A title challenge last season would have meant we'd had to beat our all-time point record of 91 from the 99/2000 season. Or should have we sacked him after winning the Europa League? And no, playing "boring football" is also not going to get a manager of a top team sacked.
This. Mourinho has clearly improved us massively and made us a top contender for the league again, which is nice for a change. Considering the kind of squad he inherited I would say he has done pretty well. Sacking him would be absolutely mental - also who would you even replace him with that would instantly win us the league as some fans are expecting here?

Water Melon

Boring football is shite and it does a lot of harm. Another piece of shite is giving up on the league for 2 seasons in a row. A toothless loss to Sevilla is another sackable offence. Not being able to get the best out of players (both old and new ones) is another indicator that can not compete properly neither in the prem nor in europe. He needs to deliver during his reign and deliver big. So far on both biggest stages he crumbled.

klsv

Boring football is shite and it does a lot of harm. Another piece of shite is giving up on the league for 2 seasons in a row. A toothless loss to Sevilla is another sackable offence. Not being able to get the best out of players (both old and new ones) is another indicator that can not compete properly neither in the prem nor in europe. He needs to deliver during his reign and deliver big. So far on both biggest stages he crumbled.
Was replying to a poster who said Mourinho should already be sacked. While I am not sure what I'll think in December or at the end of the season, there has been absolutely no reason to have Jose sacked by now, this might change by May but no reason up to now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So much shite in this post.

Water Melon

Was replying to a poster who said Mourinho should already be sacked. While I am not sure what I'll think in December or at the end of the season, there has been absolutely no reason to have Jose sacked by now, this might change by May but no reason up to now.
Sorry mate, I misunderstood you then. However, I do believe that this season he needs to start to deliver.

jesperjaap

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I really hope that the club is getting some kind of longterm plan in place as we speak. It might not mean that Mourinho goes during this season or even next summer. Im not sure that would be the best course of action either, since the squad now is built to play Mourinho-football and nothing else. When the transition hopefully happens we are going to need to purchase almost an entire new central line. Players like Smalling, Matic, Fellaini and maybe even Lukaku needs to leave if we are going to play another type of football. Or at least their playing time needs to be significally reduced. Thats not going to happen overnight or over a season though.

And dont get me wrong: I dont want to get rid of them now. They are good players perfect for the type of football that Mourinho plays, and as long as he is here I hope they will play significant roles.

I just want that the club now takes a really hard look at what it wants to represent in the future. Get a DOF in that can represent the continuity that the club needs, set the basic structure of how United are supposed to play (offensively) and accept that managers today dont stay on more than 2-3 years in general. Identify one or two managers that can apply that "philosophy" and pounce when anyone of them becomes available. And back that manager in the transfer market immediately. And finally accept that it might be a challenge to switch playing style again. Our biggest mistake after SAF has been appointing a defensive coach in Moyes, then an offensive one in LVG and then again switching back to a defensive coach in Mourinho. There needs to be continuity in the way the club wants to play or we will never return to where we should be. My 5 cents at least.....
Yes I didnt even wnt to bring up my personal thoughts on Lukaku as he scored a good amoutn of goals last season. Agree with what you are saying too, bar the DOF, just dont like them, want a manager to be in control of it all regardless of failure or success

jesperjaap

Aye, aye stick to your guns. Jose is deeply underachieving with what he has, while fecking Sterling looks world class under Pep and shows his true colours while playing for England NT. Our squad is good enougj to challenge for the Prem and CL. Shitshow imitation of a title challenge until December does not cut it. Get your excuses ready for another major trophyless season with Mou.
Although I agree with most of what you say regardless of under achieving. our defence definately isnt good enough to challenge for the champions league

Water Melon

Although I agree with most of what you say regardless of under achieving. our defence definately isnt good enough to challenge for the champions league
I'd say that the defense is on Jose too. Pool reached the CL final. Mou bought Lindelof and Bailly to build upon what we have already. He brought in Matic to shield the defense, and we do not over commit to attack anyways. I am sure Jose needs to do better with the material that he has at his disposal.

jesperjaap

Surely this isn't too hard to understand is it? We are in a race for points with City. How City does is 100% relevant to how we can finish in the race.

If you are in a 100m race with Usain Bolt and he runs a 9.85s. If you have the ability to run a sub 9.9, you can challenge Bolt to the Gold. However if Bolt runs a 9.7s, there is no way you will be anywhere near him at the finish line if you run a 9.8+s race. How is Bolt's performance irrelevant to your title challenge?

It's posts like this that shows how far the fans expections are with reality, much like RAWK are. You think Atletico and Dortmund do not have the resources to succeed, yet you somehow believe that we have these resources in abundance? Where is our 500 million spend this season then? Why are we not splashing out on Ronaldo and Hazard then? Why is Perisic, Toby and Sandro such a hard buy?

Yes, we probably have more than those 2 teams, but what we have simply isn't enough to overthrow the moneybags clubs. And you are right, those clubs do not have the expectation to succeed as we do. Thus, maybe it's time for you to re-evaluate your expectations for the club given our current actual resources available.
I dont agree, we have £2-300m worth of players we could sell. We have spend close to £90m on a player the last two seasons, there is a fair chance we will spend that or more on Bale if he leaves Madrid. The two truths I think are the last 5-6 years including the last two we havent bought well and we have also failed to get a lot of the good signing to perform too. The other truth is we ARENT the biggest club in the world, the Neymars. Mbappes, Hazards, Bales, Ronaldhinos are nearly always going to go to the two big Spanish sides over us, and lots will choose Bayern or Juve too.

Where I do think there is agreement in what you say is the more selfish mercenary type players who will go to the CURRENT big clubs with all the money to spend as they are only interested in money, personal glory and yes trophies rather than the privelige of representing historic great clubs....players like Neymar for example.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not exactly shocking, after years of uncertainty I think the Glazers would like a bit of CL stability. Rightly or wrongly I'd bet my life on Mourinho not getting sacked if we got CL again. What'll determine his long term future is how ambitious our owners are, if they want us to challenge for the league/CL then we may opt for a progressive manager in the future, if we're content with CL football then we may stick with Mourinho (not to say I don't believe he won't get us challenging at some point). Plus, it seems the manager is in no rush to make signings which to me indicates he's probably not sweating over his future barring a disaster.

Skills

Snitch
If he falls behind Liverpool not only should be sacked but publically humiliated game of thrones fashion before getting the sac

Status
Not open for further replies.