José Mourinho | 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

If the club gave Mourinho a midfield of Wijnaldum, Henderson and Milner, he'd spontaneously combust. We would hear about "heritage" every press conference.
It seems the excuses will never end.
He actually inherited far worse version of this midfield when he was appointed.

Also don't understand this point. No one is complaining about our investment in midfield as far as I'm concerned. The midfield also looked pretty good in almost every game this season. It's the defense and attackers that are failing us.

Ok, he signed Lindelof and Bailly, then what ? Should we wait for a new manager to sell the deadwood of the previous manager just like what we did with LVG and costed us a lot ? Are we working on any basis in markt except manager living and dying by his transfers ? Almost all other top clubs are working with certain strategy regardless of th manager. City threw away several flops signed by Pep with no problem. Hell even the 60m Mahrez is starting to be thrown on th bench.

Lindelof should have been sold in summer and replaced by a CB, and we should have targeted any winger, any winger with one leg would have been better than Lingard and Mata on the right.

What we did is just delaying the inevitable more spending. What now ? Will the next manager turn Lindelof to David Luiz and Jones to Vidic ? There's a very big percentage chance Lindelof will be thrown away by the next manager and we'll be forced to pay +70m for a new CB sooner rather than later. We're delaying the inevitable, just that the next manager takes the full responsibility for his signings like LVG and Mourinho did.

Overall a terrible strategy and optimizes everything wrong about the club. Panic appointments in managerial positions and zero plan in market.

I pray for the day the club enters the market having a certain strategy regarding transfers regardless of who is managing the team.

Last edited:

Minimalist

He's had problems but he's literally won the league everywhere he's been but us. He's proven that he's a top manager, since Fergie left we've not proven we're a top club.

Don't forget Van Gaal was a top coach before us who had loads of success under the right footballing structure i.e not under that no-hoper Woodward.

The owners and board are the problem. The quicker you figure that out the better. It will be the hope that kills you when the next manager comes in and fails.
Again Van Gaal had issues at previous clubs that we chose to ignore (Barca, Bayern).

Jesus do a bit more homework.

CA1

Again Van Gaal had issues at previous clubs that we chose to ignore (Barca, Bayern).

Jesus do a bit more homework.
All managers have issues.

Name me Mourinho replacments and I'll tell you the "issues" these managers have that will be used as the excuse when they fail here.

Klopp had a disaster season at Dortmund, Sarri never won a trophy, Pochettino same, Jardim never managed a big club etc etc.

In Rainbows

He's had problems but he's literally won the league everywhere he's been but us. He's proven that he's a top manager, since Fergie left we've not proven we're a top club.

Don't forget Van Gaal was a top coach before us who had loads of success under the right footballing structure i.e not under that no-hoper Woodward.

The owners and board are the problem. The quicker you figure that out the better. It will be the hope that kills you when the next manager comes in and fails.
Not sure how you can blame the board as the problem for Mourinho. I'm of the opinion that they're a problem, but not for the reason you're alluding to. I think they're the problem for letting managers have too much power.

What was their problem prior to this off season? They had given Mourinho everything apart from Perisic. So what did United to different from Chelsea?

Minimalist

All managers have issues.

Name me Mourinho replacments and I'll tell you the "issues" these managers have that will be used as the excuse when they fail here.

Klopp had a disaster season at Dortmund, Sarri never won a trophy, Pochettino same, Jardim never managed a big club etc etc.
So it's probably useless to use their histories to slander the current club then?

Mourinho's CV is impressive, no one forgets that but every dog has it's day. He's done. He's in his third season and both the results and performances are not fecking good enough.

He's had plenty of money to buy players and he's had time to 'work his magic'. He's done - it's another balls up. The wrong man - the wrong methods/strategies or whatever.

Let's hope we don't make the same mistake again.

Kapardin

Wait for the next manager my friends. I bet they don't manage higher than 2nd under our owners and board. Every year will be a battle for top 4.

Only the owners and board changing will resolve this, the coach/manager will not make a slightest bit of improvement, in fact it will most likely be much worse. Mourinho is one of the best managers in the world. Time for people to wake up I think.
I am normally never judgmental about others' opinions on this board, but you have to be the most deluded one on here.

You simply apportion all of the blame onto the Glazers and Ed and let Mourinho, the most highly paid manager in the world, scot-free. Your hatred for the owners clouds your thinking.

If you think getting rid of the Glazers and bringing in every signing Mourinho wants is going to bring us the league title, it's you who ought to wake up. Lack of signings this summer could be an excuse to not challenge for the title, but no way is this squad poor enough to finish out of the Top 4 on that excuse.

We are currently where, in 6th and Arsenal is going to overtake us if they beat Everton. Yes, Arsenal, a team that has worse owners, worse midfield and worse defense than ours.

And you think just bringing in Willian and Toby for north of 100 million will improve anything?:lol:

Face it, Ed is a tool for not making any purchases in the summer, but Jose's targets are devoid of any vision or excitement. Ibra, Matic, now Willian -- quite similar to Moyes wanting Lescott and co wherever he goes -- when your methods are not working, surround yourself with players who you have worked with in the past and who are your yes-men to cover your arse.

Sure Ibra was quality, but he was getting on in age and didnt suit our system. I think we should have taken a punt on Vardy that summer instead. Vardy is a top 6 striker if given the chance -- and quite good rotation for Lukaku if we still signed him the following summer. Matic has 1 more season left in him max -- and don't get me started on Willian.

His targets are as boring as his tactics. Not seriously arsed whether he gets his targets or not, and that's appalling, as I usually love seeing who we sign.

Our finishing 2nd was no better than Arsenal finishing 2nd in the Leicester season. Look where they are now.

CA1

So it's probably useless to use their histories to slander the current club then?

Mourinho's CV is impressive, no one forgets that but every dog has it's day. He's done. He's in his third season and both the results and performances are not fecking good enough.

He's had plenty of money to buy players and he's had time to 'work his magic'. He's done - it's another balls up. The wrong man - the wrong methods/strategies or whatever.

Let's hope we don't make the same mistake again.
It's nothing to do with the coach though. A new coach won't make a difference to this squad and the potential quality players who will be brought in under Woodward and the owners. They don't care about football, only money making. And then when you factor in the pressure from fans and media it is a nightmare job. Like I say, it's sad to say but it's the new England job. A poisoned chalice doomed for failure.

The fans need to put pressure on Woodward and the owners. I've said this for years. I'm not proud or smug to say everything I predicted post Fergie under this board and owners has come true.

Minimalist

It's nothing to do with the coach though. A new coach won't make a difference to this squad and the potential quality players who will be brought in under Woodward and the owners. They don't care about football, only money making. And then when you factor in the pressure from fans and media it is a nightmare job. Like I say, it's sad to say but it's the new England job. A poisoned chalice doomed for failure.

The fans need to put pressure on Woodward and the owners. I've said this for years. I'm not proud or smug to say everything I predicted post Fergie under this board and owners has come true.
...yeah you're a troll. Either that or you're blinkered into a bizarre OTT hatred of the owners and Woodward.

Think you need to grow up a bit.

CA1

...yeah you're a troll. Either that or you're blinkered into a bizarre OTT hatred of the owners and Woodward.

Think you need to grow up a bit.
A lot of our fans lack the intelligence to see the bigger picture in my opinion. It sounds like I'm being patronising I know so I'm sorry for that but it's true.

They can only see the team playing and just blame the man on the sidelines.

It will take years for them to cotton on sadly. Most of the intelligent fans saw it the day Fergie left. A new manager will not make a difference. Fergie held the club together. The owners and Woodward are ruining the club and have already dug the grave in my opinion. We won't get back on track until they're gone. Simple. I'm saying no more on the matter. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

el3mel

Should we wait for a third failing managerial appointment to start talking about Ed then ? How many failed managers exactly do we need to sack before we realize there's actually a bigger problem running in the club, that we have zero vision or planning for the club or the team, starting from the managerial appointment ending up with transfers ?

Actually anyone who still think Ed and board have done alright so far is the one who is deluded imo. Mourinho isn't absolved of the blame, some of his targetd were mistakes aka Lindelof and Sanchez and could and should have done better but it's deluded to think that getting a new manager tomorrow will miraculously change us to league winners without solving the other problems.

We have been at this point 2 times already in Ed era and this is the third one. Time to start questioning other people in the club. Otherwise, you will be comforting yourself everything is fine and Zidane will come win the league immediately.

If we want to improve as a proper club, loads of changes need to happen next season.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

A decent coach would have Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial,Rashford,Pogba,Matic and Fred performing to a level that would have us right up there with City and Liverpool this season.

Replacing Mourinho with a proactive rather than reactive manager would make the world of difference.

I have many many issues with the Glazers, but I don’t see how it’s their fault that a squad put together for about £400 million during Mourinho’s reign look like a league one team in quality.

Mourinho has to take the blame for the way we are playing.

Last edited:

CA1

A decent coach would have Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial,Rashford,Pogba,Matic and Fred performing to a level that would have us right up there with City and Liverpool this season.
:lol:

Keep dreaming my friend

:D

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Should we wait for a third failing managerial appointment to start talking about Ed then ? How many failed managers exactly do we need to sack before we realize there's actually a bigger problem running in the club, that we have zero vision or planning for the club or the team, starting from the managerial appointment ending up with transfers ?

Actually anyone who still think Ed and board have done alright so far is the one who is deluded imo. Mourinho isn't absolved of the blame, some of his targetd were mistakes aka Lindelof and Sanchez and could and should have done better but it's deluded to think that getting a new manager tomorrow will miraculously change us to league winners without solving the other problems.

We have been at this point 2 times already in Ed era and this is the third one. Time to start questioning other people in the club. Otherwise, you will comforting yourself everything is fine and Zidane will come win the league immediately.

If we want to improve as a proper club, loads of changes need to happen next season.
The club is in desperate need of being restructured behind the scenes. That is 100% on Ed and the board.

However, the absolutely shite football we see week in week out is on Mourinho.

Appointing the right manager that can get this current squad performing is just the first step in the process.

The one thing that is beyond obvious now though is that Mourinho was the wrong appointment.

Yagami

Good post resistant
:lol:

Keep dreaming my friend

:D
If you don't think so, then surely you should criticise José on wasting money on the majority of those players? 5 of the 7 were his signings after all. Or was that the boards fault, too?

el3mel

The club is in desperate need of being restructured behind the scenes. That is 100% on Ed and the board.

However, the absolutely shite football we see week in week out is on Mourinho.

Appointing the right manager that can get this current squad performing is just the first step in the process.

The one thing that is beyond obvious now though is that Mourinho was the wrong appointment.
Even if you think Mourinho is shite, Ed was the one who appointed him, and was also the one who appointed LVG. There's zero reason to trust him in yet a third appointment. The previous 2 were panic appointments based on nothing. What will make the third one any different ? He will see the biggest name out of contract available and hire him, done !

This is Mourinho's last sesson for sure. After it and in next summer, we should hire someone else in DOF, analyzes team and choose the best manager that suits the club philosophy.

Otherwise, 2-3 years from now and we will be in the same place for 4th time under Ed.

Minimalist

We have been at this point 2 times already in Ed era and this is the third one. Time to start questioning other people in the club. Otherwise, you will be comforting yourself everything is fine and Zidane will come win the league immediately.

You reckon it's impossible to make two bad choices in a row (especially with a feeling of desperation around) or do you expect perfection from everyone at the club? I don't really care about Ed Woodward, he can be replaced if you want. Mourinho still needs to feck off regardless.

They (the owners/Woodward) have provided tons of money for transfers to both Van Gaal and Mourinho - that's pretty much where my concerns end with our owners. And for most people, that's all they want to see. What else am I supposed to care about in the present exactly?

Deluded? Have a word with yourself seriously. You're just trying to sound smart without any basis. Why would I concern myself with Woodward over Mourinho right now? Is Woodward coaching the team? No, of course he fecking isn't.

CA1

If you don't think so, then surely you should criticise José on wasting money on the majority of those players? 5 of the 7 were his signings after all. Or was that the boards fault, too?
If you're given vouchers to shop in Aldi and have no money in your wallet, it's unlikely you'll come away with any Waitrose products.

JohnnyKills

A lot of our fans lack the intelligence to see the bigger picture in my opinion. It sounds like I'm being patronising I know so I'm sorry for that but it's true.

They can only see the team playing and just blame the man on the sidelines.

It will take years for them to cotton on sadly. Most of the intelligent fans saw it the day Fergie left. A new manager will not make a difference. Fergie held the club together. The owners and Woodward are ruining the club and have already dug the grave in my opinion. We won't get back on track until they're gone. Simple. I'm saying no more on the matter. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
It's always a sign of intelligence when you tell everyone how intelligent you are.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mourinho has won a league at every job he's done but not here.

We're the problem, not him. The next manager will be a busted flush after 2 years with us and we'll all say he wasn't good enough etc etc. It's the new England managers job, all the expectation with none of the actual structure or tools.
So did LVG, should we have kept him?

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think people tend to overreact and like drama a bit too much. Apart from the freak result against Burnely, an opponent we should be beating 9/10 times and definitely not lose to, the start of the season has been far from a sackable offence. Of course there were times where i've been a bit upset, but in the end losing to Spurs and drawing against this Wolves side can happen in football, IMO. We score the goals, but can't defend, Alderweireld would have worked wonders, but it is what it is.

There will be many more games left to play in, so we can make up for a lot of the points. Maybe not winning the league title, but was that the really the objetive at the start of the season? If we're still far away from the qualifying places for the Champions-League come april, then we can debate whether Jose Mourinho should leave.

We aren't getting the best out of Sanchez and Martial, so some changes have to be made. The latest acquisitions Fred and Dalout have been good, Shaw's been playing well, Pogba coming into gear and Lukaku is important. I believe we're on the right path.

CA1

So did LVG, should we have kept him?
It wouldn't have made much difference.

I personally rate Mourinho higher than Van Gaal but both are top managers who've struggled to meet their high expectations at our club under our structure.

I disagreed with a lot of Van Gaal's selections but he didn't do that badly when you consider who he had to work for.

A new manager won't do that much better than Van Gaal who got CL 1/2 and won a Cup and I really doubt they'll do better than Mourinho.

I'm confident Mourinho's 2nd place finish will be our highest since Fergie left for a long time if we are still labouring on with the Glazers and Woodward.

Adisa

He actually inherited far worse version of this midfield when he was appointed.

Also don't understand this point. No one is complaining about our investment in midfield as far as I'm concerned. The midfield also looked pretty good in almost every game this season. It's the defense and attackers that are failing us.

Ok, he signed Lindelof and Bailly, then what ? Should we wait for a new manager to sell the deadwood of the previous manager just like what we did with LVG and costed us a lot ? Are we working on any basis in markt except manager living and dying by his transfers ? Almost all other top clubs are working with certain strategy regardless of th manager. City threw away several flops signed by Pep with no problem. Hell even the 60m Mahrez is starting to be thrown on th bench.

Lindelof should have been sold in summer and replaced by a CB, and we should have targeted any winger, any winger with one leg would have been better than Lingard and Mata on the right.

What we did is just delaying the inevitable more spending. What now ? Will the next manager turn Lindelof to David Luiz and Jones to Vidic ? There's a very big percentage chance Lindelof will be thrown away by the next manager and we'll be forced to pay +70m for a new CB sooner rather than later. We're delaying the inevitable, just that the next manager takes the full responsibility for his signings like LVG and Mourinho did.

Overall a terrible strategy and optimizes everything wrong about the club. Panic appointments in managerial positions and zero plan in market.

I pray for the day the club enters the market having a certain strategy regarding transfers regardless of who is managing the team.
The point is you can't wait for a manager to sell every single player that isn't playing well before making judgements on his performance. Those midfielders I mentioned have been widely derided in their time at Liverpool, but not only have their performances consistently improved, the performances of the team has consistently improved as well .
No matter how you want to cut it, you can't say the same about us. By how much would we have improved as an attacking unit by signing another CB and selling Lindelof?
You talk about our midfield being impressive because no one is complaining. The only reason people aren't complaining about our midfield is because they're are worse areas of the team. We have been outplayed by worse teams for long stretches, at different points this season. You can't say the midfield isn't culpable as well.
Mourinho has been here for 30 months, and nobody can put a finger on any aspect of the game you can confidently say we excel at.
I'm not absolving the board of anything. I'm just saying you have to look at the manager and whatever, I think of the board, I don't think Mourinho is the right man.

Adisa

For the record, I think Woodward is shit and I think we need a total revamp of our football structure.
That said, I still think Mourinho is the wrong person for the job. It's as simple as that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The point is you can't wait for a manager to sell every single player that isn't playing well before making judgements on his performance. Those midfielders I mentioned have been widely derided in their time at Liverpool, but not only have their performances consistently improved, the performances of the team has consistently improved as well .
No matter how you want to cut it, you can't say the same about us. By how much would we have improved as an attacking unit by signing another CB and selling Lindelof?
You talk about our midfield being impressive because no one is complaining. The only reason people aren't complaining about our midfield is because they're are worse areas of the team. We have been outplayed by worse teams for long stretches, at different points this season. You can't say the midfield isn't culpable as well.
Mourinho has been here for 30 months, and nobody can put a finger on any aspect of the game you can confidently say we excel at.
I'm not absolving the board of anything. I'm just saying you have to look at the manager and whatever, I think of the board, I don't think Mourinho is the right man.
Our midfield is woeful.

CA1

Our midfield is woeful.
It's not great but the issue comes from us having poor defenders who aren't comfortable on the ball or on the one vs one. That means they aren't comfortable pushing up the pitch. This leads to the midfield being too far away from the defence so they push deep to connect with them. Not many midfields can control games from too deep on the pitch and too far away from goal.

RORY65

For the record, I think Woodward is shit and I think we need a total revamp of our football structure.
That said, I still think Mourinho is the wrong person for the job. It's as simple as that.
Completely agreed. I would suggest that even appointing a manager like Mourinho, who I never felt was a fit for United and whose style is the complete antithesis of Van Gaal (therefore requiring to change the team almost entirely and showing that there was no coherent vision for the team), because he's a big name and Woodward felt we needed to react to City getting Guardiola showed the need for a change of the football structure at the club.

Rolaholic

Mourinho has won a league at every job he's done but not here.

We're the problem, not him. The next manager will be a busted flush after 2 years with us and we'll all say he wasn't good enough etc etc. It's the new England managers job, all the expectation with none of the actual structure or tools.
Right Mourinho's doing us a favor taking such a tinpot job,we were never worthy of his sheer intellect and genius...
I need whatever you JoseFC lads are smoking...

JPRouve

Scout
It's not great but the issue comes from us having poor defenders who aren't comfortable on the ball or on the one vs one. That means they aren't comfortable pushing up the pitch. This leads to the midfield being too far away from the defence so they push deep to connect with them. Not many midfields can control games from too deep on the pitch and too far away from goal.
No it doesn't have anything to do with the defenders, I don't even know where that stupid idea comes from. Our midfield is positionally poor, technically and creatively inconsistent and they can't defend to save their lives. They are the reason why the defense has to deal with runners coming at them with pace and right through the middle which is a nightmare for every defenses, from Atletico to prime Chelsea, if the midfield never provides any sort of shield the back four struggles.

el3mel

Mourinho needs to go by the end of the season, I'm not absolving him of blame. My point is :

A) Mourinho going only won't make us title contenders. Ed already fecked up 2 managerial appointments. No reason to think he will get a third one right. The club as an organization is a mess that lacks vision and needs reconstruction. We need to have a certain plan and strategy in the market regardless of how is managing the club. All big clubs chop and change managers all the time but their philosophy and strategy never changes.

B)The transfers some are happy we vetoed under Mourinho because of the heavy price tag, sooner or later we will have to pay and will pay alot to strengthen in the same positions. We're delaying the inevitable and I'm ready to bet on it. If we are actually a well constucted club that analyzes team states away from the manager, we wouldn't have been in such position.

Foxbatt

The Board has done what it has been asked. They provided the money to a very successful Manager. No one would say that Jose was not a successful Manager and it was a good appointment at that time as Pep was not available. Jose was the only one available who has won the CL twice and the PL a few times and the La Liga and the Serie A too.
The Board can go by a person's CV. Jose had all those. How on Earth can they be blamed for the non performance of players like Lukaku, Sanchez etc? Even LVG was the right appointment at that time after the disaster of Moyes. Ed was correct in not buying Toby. Because the two CBs have already been bought by Jose and that is his sole responsibility. If he thought Lindelof and Bailly was not good enough he should not have bought them in the first place.
He sold Blind too and kept faith with Valencia. He bought Lukaku who is not a player who is world class and be the main striker for a top club. To make matters worse we seem always disjointed and have no tactics in ball play or movement off the ball and neither on the ball. It is a hopeful punt most of the times and the players on their own have to improvise. The Board has supported him all the way.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's better he steps down after this season however we perform and wherever we finish. We need a proper coach and he's not the one.
He would be mad to do so, specially since he recently extended his contract. The way we've been handling them contracts (6 years to Moyes, extending Mourinho's and Sanchez....) has been crazy :lol:

CA1

No it doesn't have anything to do with the defenders, I don't even know where that stupid idea comes from. Our midfield is positionally poor, technically and creatively inconsistent and they can't defend to save their lives. They are the reason why the defense has to deal with runners coming at them with pace and right through the middle which is a nightmare for every defenses, from Atletico to prime Chelsea, if the midfield never provides any sort of shield the back four struggles.
The midfield is poor at reading danger I agree with that.

But the reason they can't control the game is that they have to come too deep to get the ball off the defence. No team would dominate the game with their midfield having to come from so deep.

I was there yesterday and that's exactly what happened. They didn't trust Lindelof at all, they were having to come deeper and deeper to get it off him as the match wore on.

JPRouve

Scout
The midfield is poor at reading danger I agree with that.

But the reason they can't control the game is that they have to come too deep to get the ball off the defence. No team would dominate the game with their midfield having to come from so deep.

I was there yesterday and that's exactly what happened. They didn't trust Lindelof at all, they were having to come deeper and deeper to get it off him as the match wore on.
Again that's nonsense, if you take the best possession teams the midfielders take the ball fairly deep, players like Pirlo, Xabi Alonso, Busquets or even Schweinsteiger would routinely take the ball inches from the CBs feets. We don't control midfield because first we do not have a midfield general, we have two all action players and a water carrier but after 2 seasons I also suspect that the positional and tactical trainings are shameful.

Foxbatt

LVG did win the League too at every league he has been apart from the PL. I think the problem with LVG was that he was not allowed to appoint his own assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.