José Mourinho interview | transfer saving deals, digs at Conte+Wenger, needs another summer window

lsd

The Oracle
Fergie left the cupboard bare in my opinion After we lost Ronaldo the only top level player he bought was RVP.

Yes he just left a team that ran away with the league a year before and had lined up players as well plus the money Moyes spent .

Not to mention Zaha who was been a chance by Moyes.

lsd

The Oracle
I'm pretty sure that Moyes admitted he didn't want Fellaini to be his first signing because he thought it would put too much pressure on Fellaini who he described as a quiet guy.

Wasn't Varela the first signing ?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Officially yes but he was manager from the moment he was chosen, Fergie quit in May , noone else was okaying players by themselves in June
Varela wasn't signed for first team. He was on trial in May and then later signed. He was signed for reserves.

CG1010

What does Jose say about needing another summer window? Does he say what for, i.e., winning the league, CL?

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Enjoyable interview. Jose slightly cryptic as usual. And lol at the Hublot thing.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Nice interview. Gotta appreciate how he brings in the "Time" factor to help advance his watch sponsor. Sneaky, manipulative, but effective. You can see how he crafts his words & messages. Brilliant, but at times a bit pointed or maybe even harsh. A lot of barbs thrown out there in that interview.
It's a plug for his watch sponsor. Not a Game of Thrones-style political plot.

Oldyella

Yes he just left a team that ran away with the league a year before and had lined up players as well plus the money Moyes spent .

Not to mention Zaha who was been a chance by Moyes.
A better manager than Moyes would have just made a few small tweaks with some fresh blood, and kept the old guys on board and everything would have been fine, the team would have evolved again over a couple of years as the older guys faded out. Instead everyone wanted out and thinks nosedived. Shocking appointment. Still baffled by it.

salford_

He has a great CV and deserves a lot of respect, but at the same time he can be quite a divvy. I absolutely piss myself when he complains of anyone playing defensive football, he is the master. I dont think his Chelsea was better than Conte's at all, or Leicester. He slagged off the Europa because Rafa won it, or whatever, then celebrated it?!

Just tiring hearing him mentioning other sides all the time and digging managers achievements, when those clubs managers dont say a word about Jose

Cal?

CR7 fan
Disagree. Fergies last team won because it was Fergie.
That may be true, but a competent manager would not have taken them to 6th. A great manager like Jose would have got them challenging that season.

Classical Mechanic

He has a great CV and deserves a lot of respect, but at the same time he can be quite a divvy. I absolutely piss myself when he complains of anyone playing defensive football, he is the master. I dont think his Chelsea was better than Conte's at all, or Leicester. He slagged off the Europa because Rafa won it, or whatever, then celebrated it?!

Just tiring hearing him mentioning other sides all the time and digging managers achievements, when those clubs managers dont say a word about Jose
You know that he coined the term 'parking the bus' in 2004 to complain about a team playing defensive against his Chelsea side.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yes but the fact remains Fergie under invested
Sir Alex left a squad that won the league by double digits. It may not have been capable of challenging Real/Barca, but 6th place they were not.

el3mel

Sir Alex left a squad that won the league by double digits. It may not have been capable of challenging Real/Barca, but 6th place they were not.
The squad SAF left isn't the squad Jose got so I don't understand your point.

Anyway, the squad SAF left was on an obvious decline since about 2011. SAF was just too clever in covering the cracks but reviewing this period you'll notice the quality of the squad has been dropping heavily since replacing Ronaldo with Valencia, Owen and Obertan. This was increasing year after year with the old players getting older and older while the quality players were decreasin but SAF genius tactical abilities covered the cracks and convinced us the team is still good. Exploding of the team was predicted. It just happened too fast because his successor was an idiot.

The new manager after SAF should have assigned to renew the squad, we got a team full of mediocre players and old players who were past it. The only world class players the team still got was RVP, with Rooney close second and probably De Gea. The rest of the team needed to be renewed from the scratch by the new manager. Moyes was an idiot enough in chasing impossible signings and the team exploded as predicted. LVG came and got rid of the deadwood but the problem is, he replaced the deadwood with a bunch of mediocre players as well. He sold about 30 players in 2 summers and added only 9, leaving a team in a real mess.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The squad SAF left isn't the squad Jose got so I don't understand your point.

Anyway, the squad SAF left was on an obvious decline since about 2011. SAF was just too clever in covering the cracks but reviewing this period you'll notice the quality of the squad has been dropping heavily since replacing Ronaldo with Valencia, Owen and Obertan. This was increasing year after year with the old players getting older and older while the quality players were decreasin but SAF genius tactical abilities covered the cracks and convinced us the team is still good. Exploding of the team was predicted. It just happened too fast because his successor was an idiot.

The new manager after SAF should have assigned to renew the squad, we got a team full of mediocre players and old players who were past it. The only world class players the team still got was RVP, with Rooney close second and probably De Gea. The rest of the team needed to be renewed from the scratch by the new manager. Moyes was an idiot enough in chasing impossible signings and the team exploded as predicted. LVG came and got rid of the deadwood but the problem is, he replaced the deadwood with a bunch of mediocre players as well. He sold about 30 players in 2 summers and added only 9, leaving a team in a real mess.
I agree he under invested, but that could have been done to allow the successor a bigger warchest. Based on our spending since then, it wouldn't not be unreasoned to think Idiot Moyes could have spent much much more than Summer if he didn't dither.

Also, there could have been life left in many of the older players like Rio, Terry was supposed to be finished before Jose went back, but he played a key part in their title win the season after.

el3mel

I agree he under invested, but that could have been done to allow the successor a bigger warchest. Based on our spending since then, it wouldn't not be unreasoned to think Idiot Moyes could have spent much much more than Summer if he didn't dither.

Also, there could have been life left in many of the older players like Rio, Terry was supposed to be finished before Jose went back, but he played a key part in their title win the season after.
Maybe, but I'm not giving SAF a much criticism at this. He did his job fine till the very last moment and won the league. The main problem was in his successor and overall in our plans for the post SAF era. We looked like as if we don't have any plan. Hired an idiot for a team who needs to be renewed from the scratch, then hiring LVG to try to solve Moyes mistake, and keep panic buying mediocre players instead of building a right core of the team, then finally hiring Mourinho to solve all this mess, which is the only right thing we did.

What I liked since Mourinho arrived is he's trying to build a certain core for the squad which we lacked heavily these last years. He's signing only 3-4 key players each summer while letting the rest of the squad getting used to their teammates and the manager, instead of just panic buying 6 random players each summer as what we were doing under LVG.

Ban

All true except that it isn't true nobody mentions him. Few weeks ago Cote said he doesn't want to repeat Jose's season at Chelsea and Klopp can't stop about our offside goal.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Maybe, but I'm not giving SAF a much criticism at this. He did his job fine till the very last moment and won the league. The main problem was in his successor and overall in our plans for the post SAF era. We looked like as if we don't have any plan. Hired an idiot for a team who needs to be renewed from the scratch, then hiring LVG to try to solve Moyes mistake, and keep panic buying mediocre players instead of building a right core of the team, then finally hiring Mourinho to solve all this mess, which is the only right thing we did.

What I liked since Mourinho arrived is he's trying to build a certain core for the squad which we lacked heavily these last years. He's signing only 3-4 key players each summer while letting the rest of the squad getting used to their teammates and the manager, instead of just panic buying 6 random players each summer as what we were doing under LVG.
Agreed with all of this

Acole9

Outstanding

It's easy to have a go at SAF over this but the truth is any sensible person knows that Moyes wasn't our first choice, he wasn't even our second, third, fourth or fifth choice. We targeted all the top managers but they were either settled in their current jobs, had just agreed to go to other clubs or didn't want to succeed SAF as manager. It was always going to be less pressure for van Gaal and Mourinho because they're not directly succeeding SAF.

sugar_kane

It's easy to have a go at SAF over this but the truth is any sensible person knows that Moyes wasn't our first choice, he wasn't even our second, third, fourth or fifth choice. We targeted all the top managers but they were either settled in their current jobs, had just agreed to go to other clubs or didn't want to succeed SAF as manager. It was always going to be less pressure for van Gaal and Mourinho because they're not directly succeeding SAF.
Logic would suggest so but for the fact we gave Moyes a six year contract... who gives their second choice six years? We clearly had decided he was "the chosen one" and fell in love with the romance of giving the new manager a chance way too much.

We hadn't appointed a new manager since the 80s which is why we handled it like we hadn't a clue. It's because we didn't.

Erebus

Woodward spent too long negotiating with Madrid and Barca for players they were never going to sell. Had he been more competent, we would have figured that out.
These decisions aren't Woodward's they're the managers. The players were decided by the manager (Moyes) who insisted on chasing impossible targets which then delayed the signing of Fellaini until after the release clause had increased. All Moyes fault - nothing to do with Woodward.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Its like talking to a fecking brick wall. That team Fergie won his last league title won it because Fergie was the manager. Look at his last game, 5-5 ffs the players had already checked out and Lukaku roasted them. Fergie regularly won games with the twinjuries in midfield The man was the greatest manager ever but after he sold CR7 he didnt buy top players apart from RVP and he had his doubts. I dont know how anyone can argue that fact. You also have to remember all the rest of the title chasers were off the boil that season too especially City.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Its like talking to a fecking brick wall. That team Fergie won his last league title won it because Fergie was the manager. Look at his last game, 5-5 ffs the players had already checked out and Lukaku roasted them. Fergie regularly won games with the twinjuries in midfield The man was the greatest manager ever but after he sold CR7 he didnt buy top players apart from RVP and he had his doubts. I dont know how anyone can argue that fact. You also have to remember all the rest of the title chasers were off the boil that season too especially City.
I already addressed his under spending before.

Using that 5-5 as example means nothing, the league was already won, there was nothing to play for.

Also, the rest of the title chaser (especially Man City) have been regularly off the boil since then, how many titles have they won since? Only that one we're all glad they did.

FromTheBench

Moyes was just not up to the scale.of the job quiick enough. He didn't know how much to change or not, wanted to play it safe and not take help either and when the team needed certainty he was dithering. In short overall he fecked up his golden chance.

As for Lvg feck knows what he was upto with his plethora of big money flop signings. I guess he never before had to operate as someone sole in charge of signings.

Ramshock

I already addressed his under spending before.

Using that 5-5 as example means nothing, the league was already won, there was nothing to play for.

Also, the rest of the title chaser (especially Man City) have been regularly off the boil since then, how many titles have they won since? Only that one we're all glad they did.
They invested in better players. We replaced Ronaldo with Valencia

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Fergie under invested in the squad; a good manager would have spent on the squad after Fergie and finished top 4 in his first season. Then start challenging for the title the next season with a few more additions. What most people forget is that the quality of the premiere league has vastly improved in the last 2-3 years with the influx of top managers.

Moyes' mid table team was unacceptable because he failed on multiple fronts; recruitment, man management, motivation, tactics. He was completely out of his depth.

Cal?

CR7 fan
They invested in better players. We replaced Ronaldo with Valencia
That was done 3 years before Sir Alex retired. The problem with our team when Moyes took over was not due to Valencia. He played his part winning the title the previous season.

Like I said he did under-invest, but the fault of only signing Fellaini lies squarely with Moyes. By all accounts we could have spent much much more that summer, and dithering Dave went chasing all over Europe for unrealistic signings.

Ramshock

That was done 3 years before Sir Alex retired. The problem with our team when Moyes took over was not due to Valencia. He played his part winning the title the previous season.

Like I said he did under-invest, but the fault of only signing Fellaini lies squarely with Moyes. By all accounts we could have spent much much more that summer, and dithering Dave went chasing all over Europe for unrealistic signings.
Completely missing the point. Fergie went Wenger like with his no value in the market nonsense and bought mediocre instead of quality. For example turning down the Hazard deal over the agents fee yet he bought Bebe who nobody knew existed for £7.5M the same summer. He bought the likes of Obertan and Diouf as well.

His only high profile purchase was RVP and that was in his last year. I love SAF like the rest of you but he isn't blameless for how his succession went.

tekkers3

Completely missing the point. Fergie went Wenger like with his no value in the market nonsense and bought mediocre instead of quality. For example turning down the Hazard deal over the agents fee yet he bought Bebe who nobody knew existed for £7.5M the same summer. He bought the likes of Obertan and Diouf as well.

His only high profile purchase was RVP and that was in his last year. I love SAF like the rest of you but he isn't blameless for how his succession went.
I am sorry, but Obertan and Diouf left in the 11/12 season, so they cant be used to illustrate poor succession planning. High profile signings are not always the priority. Balance is the overarching key factor.

In the three seasons leading up to his final season, SAF bought Bebe, Smalling, Chicharito, De Gea, Jones, Young, RVP, Kagawa, Zaha, Powell and Buttner.
From that list, only RVP was not young and future focused. Jones, Smalling, De Gea and Young are still here. Chicharito and Kagawa were still around when he left, but subsequent managers sold them. Zaha and Powell had potential to still be around, but couldnt reach that level.

To even think that SAF was not planning for succession or the future is crazy. He was constantly ensuring that the squad had a balance of quality, potential, youth and experience. It is never going to be a smooth transition and the fact that he won the league in his final year with a balanced squad, shows that it was not due to his planning that the subsequent managers were poor.

Ramshock

I am sorry, but Obertan and Diouf left in the 11/12 season, so they cant be used to illustrate poor succession planning. High profile signings are not always the priority. Balance is the overarching key factor.

In the three seasons leading up to his final season, SAF bought Bebe, Smalling, Chicharito, De Gea, Jones, Young, RVP, Kagawa, Zaha, Powell and Buttner.
From that list, only RVP was not young and future focused. Jones, Smalling, De Gea and Young are still here. Chicharito and Kagawa were still around when he left, but subsequent managers sold them. Zaha and Powell had potential to still be around, but couldnt reach that level.

To even think that SAF was not planning for succession or the future is crazy. He was constantly ensuring that the squad had a balance of quality, potential, youth and experience. It is never going to be a smooth transition and the fact that he won the league in his final year with a balanced squad, shows that it was not due to his planning that the subsequent managers were poor.
David De Gea and RVP are by far the stand outs in that list of mediocrity and even they came with caveats. DDG was young and physically underwhelming and Van Persie had an injury history hanging over him. Fergie should have loaded that team with better players knowing he was close to retiring and knowing he would be hard to follow.