Jose Mourinho joins Sky Sports

izec

He'll be back on the sidelines soon enough. Too talented not too. His understanding of the game is world class still.
not his negative tactics and especially man management though. No coincidence he isnt employed at a club currently

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
He'll be back on the sidelines soon enough. Too talented not too. His understanding of the game is world class still.
Who though?

He's obviously still a very good manager, but he seems to be biding his time and waiting for one of the top jobs in the game and i'm not so sure who's going to go with him really. He's been out of the game for a while and none of the big clubs have come calling. Not that we know of, anyway.

izec

Who though?

He's obviously still a very good manager, but he seems to be biding his time and waiting for one of the top jobs in the game and i'm not so sure who's going to go with him really. He's been out of the game for a while and none of the big clubs have come calling. Not that we know of, anyway.
If a top club comes calling, he would immediately accept it. Jose doesnt wait or take a year off. If it doesnt work out, he gets paid well. I dont think he got many offers at club level, and so he waits. A desperate Real or someone from Italy could appoint him, thats his hope.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
not his negative tactics and especially man management though. No coincidence he isnt employed at a club currently
For a club that doesn't care as much about the aesthetics and wants a proven manager he will fit the profile.

Who though?

Managers will move on or get fired eventually. Out of 15-20 top clubs in Europe I can easily imagine some vacancies being available over the next 1-3 years.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
If a top club comes calling, he would immediately accept it. Jose doesnt wait or take a year off. If it doesnt work out, he gets paid well. I dont think he got many offers at club level, and so he waits. A desperate Real or someone from Italy could appoint him, thats his hope.
Yeah, no doubt. The point i'm making is that i'm not too sure whether any of the top clubs will come calling. I suppose it depends on your definition of a top club, really, but i think we all know what is meant by that.

I think there's plenty of clubs that will have him, but i'm not sure if he's willing to go to those clubs.

fps

Who's currently managing Bayern? Big rebuild job to be done there. Would he fancy it next season? I imagine so.

Inter Yer Nan

Who though?

I think PSG could be there if Tuchel can't take them far in the Champions League. Maybe a top international job?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think PSG could be there if Tuchel can't take them far in the Champions League. Maybe a top international job?
Again, i'm not sure that's the path PSG want to go down. I don't think they want that type of football. Now you can say that it's harsh on Jose to pigeonhole him as this defensive, reactive manager, but that's the reputation he has and that's not the brand of football that they want there.

I think PSG see themselves as something different to that. Hence the appointment of Tuchel. Who knows though; they could appoint him next week and prove me wrong. But i'd be surprised.

UncleBob

Because if you finish second to this Man City team, you are the best of the rest in the league. You're arguing his second season with us was mince because we had a terrible last season. How does that work? Surely you can have two good seasons, have an absolutely disaster in the market and pre-season, then implode in the third season, ergo that's one poor season?

Also, at the end of his second season, we beat City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. We can't have been that bad.
No, i'm not arguing his second season wasn't good because the third one was a disaster. I'm arguing that the second season wasn't good on the basis that it wasn't...Apart from a promising start to the season, and a few obvious highlights (like the comeback vs City), it was generally dire. Highest difference between GA and xGA (15,5 fewer goals against than expected given the chances ), with an insane amount of chances gifted to the opposition, attacking football was nowhere to be seen and we once again depended on individual performances rather than a team effort. We also had the pleasure of witnessing just how important it is to be on the right side of Mourinho, with the needless signing of Sanchez on the expense of Rashford and Martial. Everything about the season indicated what was to come, and you'd have to be pretty fecking naive to think we'd get away with giving away so many chances to the opposition and maintaining the same xGA.

If people looked behind the result, at the actual performances, the growing issues, they'd find it a lot less surprising when things go badly wrong.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I don’t get. I thought you lot were claiming he’s lost his edge. He spent 400 million at united and left the club in shambles. Who would take him at this point.

UncleBob

I'm strickly speaking about him as a pundit. I enjoy listening to him. Never want to see him manage our club again.
The pundit bit is what i'm aiming at, it's just somewhat funny to see what he's ended up as

"Asked whether he paid attention to opinions about how United should play, Mourinho said: “Some of the guys with an opinion couldn’t resolve their own problems when they were managers, so they are giving opinions like they have solutions for everything but is not like that. “But they are in a position where they can give opinions about everything. Sometimes I read and listen, sometimes I don’t. This week I was more focused on enjoying Champions League and Europa League and preparing my match than be focused on opinions.”"

Ban

The pundit bit is what i'm aiming at, it's just somewhat funny to see what he's ended up as

"Asked whether he paid attention to opinions about how United should play, Mourinho said: “Some of the guys with an opinion couldn’t resolve their own problems when they were managers, so they are giving opinions like they have solutions for everything but is not like that. “But they are in a position where they can give opinions about everything. Sometimes I read and listen, sometimes I don’t. This week I was more focused on enjoying Champions League and Europa League and preparing my match than be focused on opinions.”"
He ended up as a pundit. There are worse things in life.

LARulz

But who is there that he would go to? No club except Chelsea at his level were hiring and obviously that's a no go. Juve had eyes on Sarri for ages. Inter may have been the only real option but not sure if they didn't go for him/he said no (preserve legacy and in an impossible league)

Amir

Winning two trophies in a season, one of which helps you qualify for the Champions League, doesn't constitute a good season now?
Depends on the trophies. If It's the Europa League and the League Cup, then no. The Europa League helped cover for our poor performance in the league, which was OK. Doesn't hide the fact that it WAS poor.

ChaddyP

I think you're having this conversation with the wrong person. I'm not here to argue about Jose being a flip flop. Don't see what that quote has to do with anything he has actually said in analysing the actual game. I enjoy listening to the football analyst Jose as he has a vast knowledge and understanding of the game tactically. I couldn't care less what he said as a Manchester United manager anymore as I'm glad he's no longer that. I can still objectively listen to a man ripe with knowledge of the sport even if I'm glad he's out of the club. His antics and spin and politics as the Manchester United manager no longer concern me. Having him to listen to and shit on Greame Sourness and that style of punditry is a fantastic change. If only they could just kick Sourness to the curb and bring in Wenger or someone like that then the process of removing shit football analysis could possibly be complete.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I think it's time he tried his hand at international management.
Can't go with Portugal yet but could try his hand with somewhere in the americas?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He caught himself at one point. He realized the things he was saying as a pundit with a clear logical understanding would have driven a manager managing a team crazy.

If only he had that insight when he was managing he would have not succumbed to the pundit pressure and the things they say.

Interesting that Lampard felt the need to bite back at things he said

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
He caught himself at one point. He realized the things he was saying as a pundit with a clear logical understanding would have driven a manager managing a team crazy.

If only he had that insight when he was managing he would have not succumbed to the pundit pressure and the things they say.

Interesting that Lampard felt the need to bite back at things he said
What did Lampard say?

R'hllor

I didnt mind him that much in general, there was that moment people might find it as dig at Shaw, there was one moment for me when started bullshitting, also having a go at MM was just classic him, kid wasnt the worst among Chelsea

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What did Lampard say?
Mourinho said "It’s the first match at home, the first match of the season, people are excited, the stadium is on fire waiting for something positive. ‘A little bit of experience [from Chelsea] would fit well with the team. ‘You look to the performance of Mason Mount, the performance of Tammy Abraham, you look to the performance even of [Andreas] Christensen and for matches of this dimension you need a little bit more.’

The Journos then told Lampard that Jose had said he didn't like the performance of Mason Mount.

"I don’t have to be too concerned about what anyone else says, pundit-wise or anyone, they have to speak."

Then the trash press have gone with headlines like:
Chelsea boss Frank Lampard responds to damning Mourinho Criticism
Frank Lampard hits back at Jose Mourinho
Mourinho criticises Lampard, Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham

I personally thought our worst performers were Zouma, Pedro and Azpilcueta. 3 of the most experienced players so while Jose was not giving out "damning criticism", I think he was wrong to single those three out.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Could he have taken up the pundit gig as it’s good for him and his family now that they can all live together in London again?

fallengt

Listening to his analysis you can tell why it didn't work out for United. He can identify the problems and very good at it, his solution though is uninspiring.

You probably would never hear Pep talk about low block if he was a Skysport' pundit.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Watched it yesterday and he was very good. People confuse tactics with principles of play, something Jose explained well (I had same argument in newbies forum just a month ago on this with some Chelsea fan).

It's so much better than listening to Sourness.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He'll be successful again, because he's driven by revenge on his critics. Like that, so much of what Mourinho does as a manager comes from a negative place.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He'll be successful again, because he's driven by revenge on his critics. Like that, so much of what Mourinho does as a manager comes from a negative place.
He hasn't always been like that. During his most successful spell as a manager between 03 and starting the RM job he was much more positive. Players loved him.

He's got bitter, negative and deluded since then imo. Scapegoating players and publicly throwing them under the bus.

All the negativity goes on the players, all then they turn on him after a season or so. Not surprising, impossible to work in such an environment..

I reckon if he just took a couple of years to find some joy, the old Mourinho could come back again.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I am surprised to see him in sky sports as i remembered he doesn't like to be a pundit. His man management skill (both dressing room and the board) displayed during his time in chelsea and man utd didn't do him any good for the big job.

Greck

This is why he isn't getting a job any time soon. Clubs are seeing a guy who spent 350m complain and thinking "can we really afford to keep him happy?".