Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The only bad thing is that when Spurs fire him they will probably get Nagglesman, who will turn things around.

cyberman

The only teams that can afford to buy him, won't, and when he was with us he lived in a hotel so he could keep commuting to his beloved London.

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see him manage Arsenal in a couple of years, followed by Portugal and end his career.
The distant promise of success will temp sonebody. Maybe have a contract fullof clauses but I dont think an entire league can lock Jose out.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
After watching them I can't see how anyone could think 4th should he realistic for them with some of the teams ahead. Arsenal coming close to them too. Chelsea squad and manager looks light years away from Jose and spurs at the moment too. Can't see how they turn it around looks like he lost the players to an extent no even parking the bus decent any more.

Funny looking back at Liverpool spurs game was billed as some sort of huge title game, both have snowballed in league since it :lol:
I just can't get over some smug paper columnist sneering at Ole, and saying Jose had turned totty into "genuine title contenders" and done it in half the time Ole had been in the job.

Utter utter nobber.

Just need a Sevilla defeat esque Mourinho piece where he says finishing mid table is Tottenham's usual position if you look at the last 30 years.

fjred

The thing about the past, erm, decade of Mou is that I now genuinely question how good he was. It's not like that Chelsea team wasn't the most expensive, and easily best squad in the league when he was in charge. They also won things without him.

Inter feels the most impressive, but the way that team played and the reliance on moments of serious fortune...I dunno.

I wonder if tactically he was ever all that.

Agreed. I never thought he was that good, anyway, even after winning the CL with Porto. Had it not been for the famous Scholes 'offside' goal at Old Trafford he'd have been nowhere. Sure, he may have won the league with Porto but I doubt that would have interested Abramovitch.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The only teams that can afford to buy him, won't, and when he was with us he lived in a hotel so he could keep commuting to his beloved London.

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see him manage Arsenal in a couple of years, followed by Portugal and end his career.
I can't see him in the Bundesliga either. Bayern surely will never touch him, and i can't imagine any other club being able or willing to afford him.

Surely he can't go from Spurs to Arsenal though? Even if Wenger's way out was not on the best terms, they surely couldn't bring in his eternal arch nemesis?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
The only bad thing is that when Spurs fire him they will probably get Nagglesman, who will turn things around.
I dont think Nagelsmann would take it yet, he'd wait for a better opportunity in the summer i suspect. He is on thin ice though, Jose

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The distant promise of success will temp sonebody. Maybe have a contract fullof clauses but I dont think an entire league can lock Jose out.
It is possible, but I think he'd have to lower his financial demands by a lot and I can't see that happening.

I can't see him in the Bundesliga either. Bayern surely will never touch him, and i can't imagine any other club being able or willing to afford him.

Surely he can't go from Spurs to Arsenal though? Even if Wenger's way out was not on the best terms, they surely couldn't bring in his eternal arch nemesis?
I can see the logic being that he's been out of management rather than joining directly from Spurs. Could see Arsenal's owners getting desperate if they don't manage to qualify for Europe this season and next season. Would be the perfect end to his club management career after everything he's said about Wenger and Arsenal.

quirkey

He won’t get sacked, can’t see Levy paying him £15m to go. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Kane go though, for circa £150m to make up for lost revenue due to stadium costs, no fans, no NFL and no Champions League. This will feed into the Mourinho narrative of his hands being tied and backs to wall with “this squad”.

The Firestarter

While they can't afford to sack him, at some point Kane might decide he doesn't want to be part of this shite , at which point they will be truly fecked.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
He won’t get sacked, can’t see Levy paying him £15m to go. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Kane go though, for circa £150m to make up for lost revenue due to stadium costs, no fans, no NFL and no Champions League. This will feed into the Mourinho narrative of his hands being tied and backs to wall with “this squad”.
I think Jose is on a scam to make a fortune in contract payoffs

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Spurs dont really have resources themselves though and still got him.
Nobody is going to pay his wages after this so maybe stepping down a level to step back up is the way to go.
Germany is wide open below Bayern and even Bayern have fallen a level, all Jose has to do is take a side withiin touching distance of top 2
Spurs relative to most BuLi teams except maybe Bayern are quite rich. Unless Mou is willing to work on a third of the wages, I just don't see a market for him. Honestly, he could have stayed unemployed a bit longer, and then maybe tried PSG instead of joining Spurs.

Apart from Lyon/Marseille (at a stretch), I just don't think there will be a lot of teams in Europe willing to take him on, unless ofcourse Newcastle get sold to a Saudi royal

mu4c_20le

While they can't afford to sack him, at some point Kane might decide he doesn't want to be part of this shite , at which point they will be truly fecked.
Can't see him retiring there. Think he stayed on because it's Mourinho and he wanted to see if there was a genuine shot at trophies, next manager will be another rebuilder so he'll go

quirkey

I think Jose is on a scam to make a fortune in contract payoffs
It would be interesting to see (approx) how much he has made from contract payoffs. Chelsea twice, United and Madrid (I think, or maybe he walked). And now if he gets a payoff from Spurs.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
On borrowed time surely. Finished as a manager.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Not like he's going to say

"Yeah, I'm a bit sh!te these days, just happy to live in London and milk the cash tree as long as possible".
Or even better "Lads, it's Tottenham".
I feel like he can say the latter, actually, it would be his Spurs “legacy” moment :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The thing about the past, erm, decade of Mou is that I now genuinely question how good he was. It's not like that Chelsea team wasn't the most expensive, and easily best squad in the league when he was in charge. They also won things without him.

Inter feels the most impressive, but the way that team played and the reliance on moments of serious fortune...I dunno.

I wonder if tactically he was ever all that.
Nah. For Chelsea, apart from players, he also changed the formation (the famous 4-3-3 with Makelele/Essien/Lampard). They continued winning things after he left (needed 2 seasons and 4 manager changes, and a change of system ), but he started it.

I don't think Inter were particularly lucky in their CL run. Smooth run to the SFs including a comfortable away win vs a very good, title-winning Chelsea.
The most luck they had was in the first leg of the Barca semi - I think one of the goals was offside and Barca should have had a penalty at the end. But the refereeing wasn't all one way, and Inter created a *lot* of chances that night, which is forgotten because of the rest of the tie. It wasn't 3 shots = 3 goals, Sneijder, Maicon, Eto'o, and Milito were doing lots of damage. In the away leg I don't think they needed luck. The red card was BS, and Barca didn't create a single chance in the box until the 80th minute goal. A tight offside call after that (I think it was the right one), and that was it. 90 minutes away to Pep's Barca, 70 of those with 10 men, 1 big chance conceded, 1-0 loss, 3-2 aggregate. Unreal. Not like the Chelsea 2012 semi with a missed penalty and multiple missed chances for Barca, and 2 shots = 2 goals for Chelsea.
Final was another dominant display vs Bayern, no luck involved.

Irwin99

Has to win his next three league games which are winnable (and he will surely be given the chance to do so). Don't think the players have turned against him...yet.

I would if he finished tenth, lost the league cup final but won the EL if Spurs would stick with him? It's pretty much his only hope of getting CL football next year.

Champagne Football

He won two European trophies with Porto too. He was obviously a good manager.
Porto were attracting the best young talent on the planet in those times. They were the Borussia Dortmund of those times. Even Villas-Boas won a league title and Uefa Cup there.
In 2004 they had world class players like Deco and Ricardo Carvalho and in 2011 when they won the UEFA they had James Rodriguez, Joao Moutinho, Falcao, Hulk etc

Jose did great things and had an amazing period of success, but like Zidane at Madrid, a lot of his achievements had more to do with the players he had at his disposal than actually being the greatest genius of all time like he believes in his own head that he is.

I think his stint at Spurs is a good barometer of his true level. I don't think he's washed up or a lesser manager now than he's ever been, it's just that a midfield pairing of Hojbjerg and Ndombele will not bring you the same level of success as a midfield of Essien, Lampard, Ballack and Claude Makalele will no matter how good a manager you are. My opinion is that Pochettino is a superior manager to Jose based on getting far more out of the same bunch of players than Jose did, regardless of how many trophies Jose has won when in charge of the teams containing the world's best players.

acnumber9

Porto were attracting the best young talent on the planet in those times. They were the Borussia Dortmund of those times. Even Villas-Boas won a league title and Uefa Cup there.
In 2004 they had world class players like Deco and Ricardo Carvalho and in 2011 when they won the UEFA they had James Rodriguez, Joao Moutinho, Falcao, Hulk etc
Is that the best young talent in the world though? Two world class players. Winning the Champions League with that Porto was a great achievement and he was clearly a very good manager. Him struggling now is more a struggle to adapt and also struggling to find a way of winning more with less.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Key signings that summer Cech and Robben were both Ranieri signings weren't they?
Robben was signed in Jan/Feb not long after the United board low-balled PSV. Believe the agreement was Robben would remain at PSV until June.

What I don't know is if Ranieri would have pulled the Porto players that followed Jose. If he goes elsewhere perhaps Carvalho, Ferreira, et al end up elsewhere. Thing is, Roman was throwing many more thousands per week at the players during that era and believe they were also making transfer payment in full up front, or a significant portion of, which may have still pulled players. Nonetheless, I've no doubts they'd have risen to top of the league with Ranieri, probably back-to-back, and still have failed in Europe.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Levy looks like a tool now.
All the talk...“we want to win things... and he is a proven manager... one of the two best managers in the world.., bla bla“...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Jose did great things and had an amazing period of success, but like Zidane at Madrid, a lot of his achievements had more to do with the players he had at his disposal than actually being the greatest genius of all time like he believes in his own head that he is.

I think his stint at Spurs is a good barometer of his true level. I don't think he's washed up or a lesser manager now than he's ever been, it's just that a midfield pairing of Hojbjerg and Ndombele will not bring you the same level of success as a midfield of Essien, Lampard, Ballack and Claude Makalele will no matter how good a manager you are. My opinion is that Pochettino is a superior manager to Jose based on getting far more out of the same bunch of players than Jose did, regardless of how many trophies Jose has won when in charge of the teams containing the world's best players.
Any manager winning CL with Dortmund would be seen as a genius and Porto were not Dortmund of those times. They are just like other top Portuguese clubs who sign lot of young players and some of them will become awesome players.

Any manager's achievements are tied to the players they have in the squad, it's nothing specific to Jose or Zidane.

Spurs is his true level currently but not his best level or peak level.

Gazza

The problem is so ironic though.

When we were briefly top, there was a widespread entitled whinge from our fans that they'd rather play football like peak-poch than win anything with "boring" football.

Mourinho, to his credit and demise, duly obliged and wanted to prove people wrong, and the squad is just not capable of it
. We're now playing like Liverpool and getting results like them too, and people will moan about that too.

West Ham fans won't give the slightest whatever about the football if they get in the top four. Our lot won't give a whatever about the football if we don't. Just so stupid.

Also, there was an outcry like Dele would be able to return like a saviour and he's just as useless as he was when he was dropped.
I really can't imagine that this is what happened.

MoskvaRed

Mourinho is obviously washed up but I don’t get the revisionism. His record from 2003 (Porto UEFA Cup win) to 2010 (Inter treble) was outstanding. His record from 2010 to his third title win with Chelsea in 2015 was still very good. How many managers not named Alex Ferguson are top of the pile for more than 12-15 years? Guardiola might be an exception but then Pep advocates can’t really dismiss Mourinho’s achievements on the grounds of Chelsea’s big spending.

Champagne Football

Is that the best young talent in the world though? Two world class players. Winning the Champions League with that Porto was a great achievement and he was clearly a very good manager. Him struggling now is more a struggle to adapt and also struggling to find a way of winning more with less.
Well you could argue that the year the won it, most of the big teams in Europe were in transition. So in some ways it was like Leicester winning the league when all the big teams had horseshite managers - Van Gaal at Utd, Pellegrini at City, Brendan Rodgers started the season at Liverpool and had had a horror summer transfer window, Jose in his 2nd stint at Chelsea and losing the dressing room in one of the first games of the season for childishly and disgracefully verbally abusing a top female doctor in front of the whole stadium.

Porto's road to the Champions League title in 2004 was Lyon in the quarters, Deportivo in the semi's and Monaco in the final - about as handy a run that a team could ever dream of. And who could ever forget the cock-up of all cock-ups from the inexperienced Tim Howard in the last minute of the game against Porto, in the first round knock out stage, to giftwrap a victory for Jose? Would Schmeichel or Van de Saar have made such an error? No chance.

I don't think Jose's Porto team were any better than the Monaco team of Mbappe of 2016 who got to the final, or the Ajax team of 2018 with De Jong and De Ligt that got to the CL Semi's, but when you study the teams they faced and the luck along the way, one could argue that Porto's luck that year was on a par with Leicester in 2015/2016. It was a brilliant achievement from Jose, but he's been overrated ever since, in the same way Van Gaal's ability as a manager were greatly overrated from winning the CL with an Ajaz team boasting the greatest collection of wonder kids the game has probably ever seen. Ranieiri's talent as a manager also being vastly overrated for a short period of time after Leicester win.

Status
Not open for further replies.