Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
I dont get it? Do people make stuff up as it goes? Spurs cycle? this was a young team with experienced players at the back.

Going into 18/19 here are the ages of Spurs players

Kane - 24
Son - 25
Moura - 25
Alli - 22
Eriksen - 25
Dembele - 30
Sissoko - 28
Wanyama 27
Trippier 27
Rose - 27
Dier - 24
Davinson - 21
Toby - 29
Vertonghen - 31

The season they didnt sign anyone they got to the CL final.

2 years on, the core of that team was labelled title contenders in November.
It's interesting as we went from a "young" team that just needed experience to "stale and need of refreshing" in one season.

A lot of the nonsense is born purely out of the misconception that Pochettino had no faults at all. All a bit fanciful really.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I absolutely love it how it's the players he always want to bypass and kick out the club that save his arse in so many of his games :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just seen the Nagelsman links. That would be the most Spursy signing. All fart and no shit.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Some signs of improvement recently. Not holding my breath but I think we could have a strong end to the season which could save his job.

romufc

It's interesting as we went from a "young" team that just needed experience to "stale and need of refreshing" in one season.

A lot of the nonsense is born purely out of the misconception that Pochettino had no faults at all. All a bit fanciful really.
I find it interesting too, you had players in their peak, Spurs still started the season well and got the CL final. Ofcourse every manager / fan wants signings but the narrative from some United fans that it was nothing to do with Poch only the 1 window you didnt sign anyone as the reason he failed.

I agree, there is alot on here who think Poch cannot do no wrong when I recall Spurs fans moaning about the same thing United fans are with Ole. Insisting with certain players, making late subs etc..

I agree that Poch done a wonderful job at Spurs but some fans almost believe Spurs were in mid table before Poch came in and transformed everything

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I find it interesting too, you had players in their peak, Spurs still started the season well and got the CL final. Ofcourse every manager / fan wants signings but the narrative from some United fans that it was nothing to do with Poch only the 1 window you didnt sign anyone as the reason he failed.

I agree, there is alot on here who think Poch cannot do no wrong when I recall Spurs fans moaning about the same thing United fans are with Ole. Insisting with certain players, making late subs etc..

I agree that Poch done a wonderful job at Spurs but some fans almost believe Spurs were in mid table before Poch came in and transformed everything
I dont care if its overheard or wrong - if Kane wasnt playing the final vs Liverpool they would have a much better chance.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Don't do it Julian! Just wait a little longer and the United job will be yours!
The constant need for something else, even when we are doing well, in every other thread, specifically not about Ole, someone always tries to bring it back kicking Ole out the club. It's baffling.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Do you want him to save his job?
I want the team to be successful - If Jose can turn it around and get us winning games then I dont mind him staying - if he doesnt then he needs to go. I'm not tied to him being manager here at all, in the same way I'm not tied to any manager really - I only want the team to win.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
No idea why people would be worried if Nagelsmann joined them. Not sure why he would anyway, but even if he did, nothing would change. He would do better than Jose, but right now Spurs only have the 5th/6th best squad in the league and this is not going to change anytime soon.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No idea why people would be worried if Nagelsmann joined them. Not sure why he would anyway, but even if he did, nothing would change. He would do better than Jose, but right now Spurs only have the 5th/6th best squad in the league and this is not going to change anytime soon.
At the start of the season, people were going how they might arguably be as good as us. Either ways, they are the 5th best side. Reguilon was the best LB in Spain last year, Doherty was among the better RBs albeit in a 5 man defence, Kane, Son, Alli, Lo Celso are all good players.

The issue is he's alienated half his squad, he's made people believe that the squad is hopelessly shite despite a good number of these players being a part of the side that was consistently finishing in top 4, and most players being on the right side of 30.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The saddest thing of all is I actually do believe Jose wants to change his ways, his issues are I personally think is more of a case of he can't and/or doesn't have the nerve (to stick to the plan when the growing pains really kick in) than he won't.

He's had three chances now to create a long lasting legacy back in England, I find it hard to believe he's thrown them all away to a prove a point. I think when he tells people he's changed his ways he fools himself as much as he does his employers/fans.

RORY65

At the start of the season, people were going how they might arguably be as good as us. Either ways, they are the 5th best side. Reguilon was the best LB in Spain last year, Doherty was among the better RBs albeit in a 5 man defence, Kane, Son, Alli, Lo Celso are all good players.

The issue is he's alienated half his squad, he's made people believe that the squad is hopelessly shite despite a good number of these players being a part of the side that was consistently finishing in top 4, and most players being on the right side of 30.
As was the case with us most of his signings have been shite though, Reguilon aside. They've got good players in attacking areas but the goalkeeper, most of their defenders and their more defensive minded midfielders are not very good, his Eric Dier fetish which started when he was with us is especially baffling.

The problem is that given the cost of the stadium the only way they could finance improving the rest of the team is by selling one of their stars which then just creates another problem, he's not good enough as a coach and seemingly not interested in improving players to fix the problems without major recruitment but in fairness any manager who comes in would want a new goalkeeper, right back, centre back and holding midfielder.

Lay

He will turn it around this season. He will then implode next season after burying as many players as he can. He will then reference how he turned it around against all the odds

united_99

As I said, 5th at best. If he got 4th he would be over performing (with one of United/Liverpool/Chelsea underperforming). Take out Son and Kane and the rest is rather average. Doesn’t mean he (or Nagelsmann) can’t get 4th, but no way they would be competing for the league without quality additions.
Whoever thought they were as good as us was deluded and whoever thought they would be challenging for the league is way more than just deluded.
Obviously Jose has done a terrible job so far, but at the same time their squad really isn’t that good. Therefore not sure what would be appealing for Nagelsmann or why we should be worried if he became Spurs manager (that was the original point I was replying to).

Shark

@NotShark
As I said, 5th at best. If he got 4th he would be over performing (with one of United/Liverpool/Chelsea underperforming). Take out Son and Kane and the rest is rather average. Doesn’t mean he (or Nagelsmann) can’t get 4th, but no way they would be competing for the league without quality additions.
Whoever thought they were as good as us was deluded and whoever thought they would be challenging for the league is way more than just deluded.
Obviously Jose has done a terrible job so far, but at the same time their squad really isn’t that good. Therefore not sure what would be appealing for Nagelsmann or why we should be worried if he became Spurs manager (that was the original point I was replying to).
Except that Jose himself disagrees with you there.

"The quality in both the squad and the academy excites me," said the 56-year-old Portuguese. "Working with these players is what has attracted me."

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
After the window had closed, most of the predictions had Spurs in top four and us out of it: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/predict-the-top-6-20-21-in-order.456505/post-26182855

united_99

"The quality in both the squad and the academy excites me," said the 56-year-old Portuguese. "Working with these players is what has attracted me."
Well obviously Jose is always right.

What did you expect him to say?

"These players are wank and I never thought I'd have to manage a team as shit as Spurs?"

Spurs squad is fecking rubbish, as proven by 2 years of utterly awful league campaigns under Poch and now Mou.

After the window had closed, most of the predictions had Spurs in top four and us out of it: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/predict-the-top-6-20-21-in-order.456505/post-26182855
You do realise Damo that a lot of posters thought that because they don't rate Ole? It's not a "Who's got the best squad" thread, it's a "predict the top 6" thread.

Edit.... hang on:

Nearly all of those after the window were slit your wrists stuff, the majority don't even have United in the top 6. In fact..... like 6 of 20 have us even in the top 6, because I realise now that almost all the predictions after that date are whilst the fecking season was ongoing and we started so shit :lol:

Last edited:

united_99

Yep, shows what a disaster our transfer window was and that despite this Ole is doing a good job.
People were down after the transfer window we have had and everyone around us strengthening. Add to this our poor start and you can see why some were pessimistic.
But I really can’t see how there can generally be any doubt that Spurs don’t have a squad as good as us, City, Chelsea or Liverpool. Hell apart from 2-3 players, even Leicester’s squad might be better, at least it’s a close call between them and Spurs.

Sorry Damien you've had an absolute mare there. I've just realised it was 2 fecking days after Spurs spanked us :lol: No wonder every fecker had Spurs finishing above us, but even then... 19 predictions on that day and they placed Spurs here:

1st: 1
2nd: 111
3rd: 1111
joint 3rd/4th: 1
4th: 111
5th: 1111
6th: 111
7th or below: 1

What were you expecting after a 1-6 twatting? Balanced debate on the quality of United and Spurs squad?

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

cyberman

Sorry Damien you've had an absolute mare there. I've just realised it was 2 fecking days after Spurs spanked us :lol: No wonder every fecker had Spurs finishing above us, but even then... 19 predictions on that day and they placed Spurs here:

1st: 1
2nd: 111
3rd: 1111
joint 3rd/4th: 1
4th: 111
5th: 1111
6th: 111
7th or below: 1

What were you expecting after a 1-6 twatting? Balanced debate on the quality of United and Spurs squad?
But they were repeatedly told it was down to fitness until it became a meme. Theres no excuse for it. A lot if it were so called Ole outters (ugh) just piling on.
It was just as hysterical when we didnt sign Sancho.

Grande

Well obviously Jose is always right.
What did you expect him to say?

"These players are wank and I never thought I'd have to manage a team as shit as Spurs?"

Spurs squad is fecking rubbish, as proven by 2 years of utterly awful league campaigns under Poch and now Mou.
I’d actually expected Jose to say what he said with us - the team is lacking profiles, thesquad is veneer thin, it would take a world class manager to reach 2nd place with this lot. So when he didn’t say that, I take it he meant that the Spurs squad he took over was superior to the United squad he left. Which to be honest, I think most experts would agree upon all the way up to the point when United got consistently better results than them.

Funilly enough, the day after 1-6, Spurs had a better squad again, and Mourinho was far superior to Solskjær. Now it’s the other way around again.

Shark

@NotShark
I’d actually expected Jose to say what he said with us - the team is lacking profiles, thesquad is veneer thin, it would take a world class manager to reach 2nd place with this lot. So when he didn’t say that, I take it he meant that the Spurs squad he took over was superior to the United squad he left. Which to be honest, I think most experts would agree upon all the way up to the point when United got consistently better results than them.

Funilly enough, the day after 1-6, Spurs had a better squad again, and Mourinho was far superior to Solskjær. Now it’s the other way around again.
Exactly. It's a perfect example of moving the goalposts to suit a narrative from his weird band of supporters.

anant

Like Damo said earlier, a lot of the people on this forum had him in top 4, especially after their signings. Since 2014, Spurs have finished 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th and 6th. Their average league position has been 4th since Poch was hired. They've missed son/Kane for a few games every season. Even if you account for decline in their defenders, one can argue that they've considerably improved their midfield and also Son and Kane have entered their peak years.

Surely, you'd expect a side that was this good till a season ago be more competitive

SAFMUTD

Beyond results the way he has Spurs playing is dreadful. It's exactly the way we played in his last season with us, hoof ball and nothing else.

That's a small team mentality and sooner or later it will create issues between the squad, when that happens Mou will throw those players under the bus and thats when the real shit starts.

I dont see how he can turn this around, yes he might win some games but at the end the toxic environment will prevail and he'll get the boot.

united_99

Like Damo said earlier, a lot of the people on this forum had him in top 4, especially after their signings. Since 2014, Spurs have finished 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th and 6th. Their average league position has been 4th since Poch was hired. They've missed son/Kane for a few games every season. Even if you account for decline in their defenders, one can argue that they've considerably improved their midfield and also Son and Kane have entered their peak years.

Surely, you'd expect a side that was this good till a season ago be more competitive
I definitely expect them to be more competitive, but again, if you expected them to get top 4 this season, then ahead of which team?
They should be finishing 5th (with a chance to be in the top 4 in case one of the other teams underperform). Currently Liverpool are there for the taking (but this could also change).
In some of the past seasons they finished top 4 because one or even both of United and Chelsea were underperforming.
United fans’ knee jerk opinions on their team or manager especially after defeats hardly tell the true story. I really don’t know why this should be taken more seriously when judging squad quality instead of squad value. Hell some weird United fans would still prefer Jose to Ole.
Ask anyone outside of the discussion around Mourinho and most will agree that he should be doing much better, but at the same time most will also agree that there are at least 4 better squads than Spurs’ in the league.

I’d actually expected Jose to say what he said with us - the team is lacking profiles, thesquad is veneer thin, it would take a world class manager to reach 2nd place with this lot.
He said that after signing Pogba and Zlatan that summer?

Or he said that after he lost his mind in his third season? Which was it? Stop making up utter bullshit. I'll give you a clue, after his first Summer market:

First of all, I didn’t buy these players. I don’t have enough money to pay these amounts! Credit should go to the club and the potential the club has, not just financially, but in what the club means to the world of football, which helps attract players,” Mourinho explained, as quoted by United’s official website.

“I think I gave a contribution because I was very objective. I think some managers have doubts and find it difficult to decide. The clubs get the impression that you are not so sure on a signing. I was objective from day one.

“Of course, I have been in the country for many years and was able to watch United many times from December, so I had an idea about the squad. When I arrived, I was ready to be objective and could say what I wanted to have and explain the numbers I wanted for each position. That way, if you could not get option one, you go for the second or third.

“Every time, I made a written report to the board, the board could feel consistency in the analysis,” he continued. “The targets were there on the table, so, after that, the club’s powers did everything. They were very strong, doing everything before the 14th. They could do it by 30 August, but no, they did everything much earlier. I am very happy with the market.”
He hinted that Pogba might not be utilised until September as he continues his recovery from Euro 2016, from which he has only just returned.

"Our idea is that he will be a very important player for us," Mourinho told the BBC.

"In August it can be frustrating for players not in the team because it's one game a week. But in September we have the League Cup, the Europa League starts and there's international games.

"It's a real marathon and then there's space for everyone. That's why we have such a good squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.