Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
And at this point I tend to think that appointing him in 2013 would have had a better than 50% chance of blowing up in our face way too quickly.
Yes, probably would have.

Still, hiring him back then would've made far more sense than hiring him when we did (and it would've been in line with what United - Gill, specifically - had said about post-Fergie plans). The state of the competition back then, and the nature of the squad, might have made it plausible (enough) for him to actually win a league title before it all went to hell.

thepolice123

To put things into context this was our team that beat reigning Bundesliga champion Wolfsburg in the CL:

Of course Wolfsburg was a pretty terrible team and it wasn't a knockout tie but sums up how big an effect the manager can have on players, good or bad.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What's amazing is that despite this being an established cycle it keeps happening and CEO after CEO keep hiring him, thinking he has changed. The only thing that changed is that now he melts down much quicker.
This is pro football. It's, at once, a ruthless business yet it's often a business founded on nostalgia, sentiment and wishful-thinking. From fans believing that a player like Rooney will come good again (despite ever-increasing decline) to chairmen believing that 'once a winner, always a winner' when it comes to managerial appointments like Jose's. The problem with wishful-thinking - and such stale thinking, generally - is that successful managers like LVG and Mourinho end up believing it too: believing that what has worked perfectly for them in past times will always work. If, however, their methods fail to work, then they have a host of self-excusing reasons to choose from ('If only I'd received complete support from the board...'/'If only they'd bought the right players for me...'/'If only the players had followed my instructions as they should...'/'Football's changed, and not for the better...' etc etc); it's a loop, a loop of failure and self-righteous wilful delusion. Understandable faith in methods (given previous successes) slowly turns into stubborness, and a desire to prove critics wrong becomes the main ambition instead of more positive drives.

SATA

It was hilarious to see a reporter cheering him up with some comforting words and Jose just sort of blanked him off. It’s obvious he’s hurting inside

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
To put things into context this was our team that beat reigning Bundesliga champion Wolfsburg in the CL:

Of course Wolfsburg was a pretty terrible team and it wasn't a knockout tie but sums up how big an effect the manager can have on players, good or bad.
Carrick
Fletcher
Scholes
Evra would all be upgrades to the current Spurs X1. With that midfield you can run a game even if the defense is piss poor.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The meltdown begins.

Worst thing we ever did was hire Mourinho.
The short term was ok. The fact that it went south fast after the Europa and League Cup wins was unbelievable

I wanted to believe in him but it appeared that he didn’t want to buy into Utd; that we were a myth, living on past glories. He alienated the fans by thinking he was too good for us

Inigo Montoya

It was hilarious to see a reporter cheering him up with some comforting words and Jose just sort of blanked him off. It’s obvious he’s hurting inside
I’m sure the millions he earns will comfort him

Inigo Montoya

100% he hates football now, I reckon. He's taking absolutely no joy out of the sport anymore, every job he's had since Madrid he has seemed rock-bottom in terms of his mindset and attitude. He hates football nowadays.

I got chastised a bit for this but I honestly think he took this job as a stop-gap to get a payoff for getting fired.

Mourinho is an intelligent man - he knows what he needs to succeed at a club. A lot of money. He knows that Levy is not a guy that likes spending money. Nothing about this situation seems logical to me, it was doomed to fail.
If Levy didn’t back Poch with finances why would he suddenly give Jose the keys to the safe?

It needed some one who could motivate and coach while working to a small budget

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Any chance Poch pulls a Zidane here and comes back in the summer? The insane thing about Spurs' predicament is that Poch would be the ideal man to take them forward and enact the rebuild that they clearly need. I think most people (myself included) basically thought the same thing when Jose came in: he's not the man you turn to when you need a big rebuild. What has caught me off guard slightly, is how poor he's been in the short term.

I always thought this appointment was a terrible one, but even i thought he would steady the ship in the short term. But, quite the contrary, he's making them worse. Yes, he's missing Son and Kane, but he's not exactly in unprecedented territory here. Every club has these issue, none more so than United, but you have to put a brave face on it. He does the exact opposite of this and exacerbates the situation by continually bitching and moaning about it. Where's the fight in him? He's like a whimpering child, pining over the players on the opposition teams and how he wished he had them.

Probably not gonna happen, but Poch would be perfect for them. I think he would got back, too, if Levy could hold his hands up and admit that he made a mistake.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Sad to see. He seems completely done and dusted.

Also shows what an amazing job Pochettino was doing for as long as he could keep his act together with the shit that is Spurs. With no finances and new players, that too!!!

Inigo Montoya

Any chance Poch pulls a Zidane here and comes back in the summer? The insane thing about Spurs' predicament is that Poch would be the ideal man to take them forward and enact the rebuild that they clearly need. I think most people (myself included) basically thought the same thing when Jose came in: he's not the man you turn to when you need a big rebuild. What has caught me off guard slightly, is how poor he's been in the short term.

I always thought this appointment was a terrible one, but even i thought he would steady the ship in the short term. But, quite the contrary, he's making them worse. Yes, he's missing Son and Kane, but he's not exactly in unprecedented territory here. Every club has these issue, none more so than United, but you have to put a brave face on it. He does the exact opposite of this and exacerbates the situation by continually bitching and moaning about it. Where's the fight in him? He's like a whimpering child, pining over the players on the opposition teams and how he wished he had them.

Probably not gonna happen, but Poch would be perfect for them. I think he would got back, too, if Levy could hold his hands up and admit that he made a mistake.
He’d have to back it up with loads of dosh

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Beware of the hurting tiger. Mourinho will be all out for a result against us this weekend.
That was not a hurt animal out there. That was genuinely one of the poorest performances of the decade from Tottenham. It was a case of a good to very good team playing against a very very very bad team.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
He’d have to back it up with loads of dosh
Money certainly needs to be spent. And if i had the choice on which manager i would like to oversee this rebuild, it wouldn't be the Portuguese one. Ultimately i don't give a shite what happens to them, it's just crazy to see the predicament they've put themselves in.

Skills

Snitch

No chance. They can't offer the amount of money that other clubs will in the summer.

I think he was looking for an exit about a year ago anyway, but as he was tied into a 5 year contract he didn't want to give up the 'loyalty bonuses' etc that come along with these deals - hence him refusing to ask Levy to leave. The fact they sacked him worked out pretty well for him.

joseph_p

Dont think he'd want back or that they'd take him back. Big difference with Zidane quiting at the top while Poch got the sack with no results to show for.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
No chance. They can't offer the amount of money that other clubs will in the summer.

I think he was looking for an exit about a year ago anyway, but as he was tied into a 5 year contract he didn't want to give up the 'loyalty bonuses' etc that come along with these deals - hence him refusing to ask Levy to leave. The fact they sacked him worked out pretty well for him.
Yeah admittedly it's a long shot, but if you were to scan the market and look at which mangers would be perfect for them right now, it would be him. That's the irony in all of this.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Carrick
Fletcher
Scholes
Evra would all be upgrades to the current Spurs X1. With that midfield you can run a game even if the defense is piss poor.
But they played as CBs. Whoever played for Spurs are much better CBs than Carrick and Fletcher.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He can whine about the absence of Kane and Son as they've either scored or assisted 50% of Spurs' goals this season. It certainly has made things harder for him but he should have been more careful when he said that, finally, he has a great squad to work with when he arrived at Spurs. Apparently, Leipzig's bench is better than what Tottenham have to offer nowadays. He and Levy are going to be the main protagonists of a best-selling soap opera next summer.

Last night's game showcased how football has moved on and he has stayed behind. Gone are the days when he could snatch Makelele from a completely disorganized Real Madrid and get the extra man in the midfield that would allow him to dominate the English game. Now, we are living in the days of dynamic off the ball movement, high pressing and fluid positioning.

And i'm leaving the creation of chances out the equation, i'm talking about the build-up. Yesterday, he used two of the most trusted tactics he possesses in his bag of tricks. The attacking midfielder (Dele Alli) dropping deeper and participating in the midfield battle by trying to provide a numerical advantage and one FB (mainly Aurier) moving into a more advanced position while the other tucked inside to create a 4v3 advantage and beat Leipzig's press. It all went down the drain. The CBs had very few options due to the Germans' pressing. Any potential numerical advantages in the midfield were nullified by the constant shifting of Leipzig's positioning in the middle of the park (following the ball). And Aurier playing in more advanced positions and being an outlet in the final third (remember Ivanovic at Chelsea or Maicon at Inter ?) was answered by Werner attacking the space left behind and wreaking havoc (they scored two goals this way). Furthermore, Nagelsmann beat Mourinho's closing down higher up the pitch by taking advantage of the fact that Jose prioritizes shape over everything else. Upamecano would move in the midfield and allow Sabitzer to position himself in between the lines... similar to how Mourinho conquered England 15 years ago.

He's an open book. I heard someone say that a big chunk of modern tactics derives from the effort to beat him when he was in his prime. Might be true to a certain extent. Teams have learned how to treat the ball better, so he can't expect everybody to self-destruct on the ball and make mistakes for him to take advantage of. And many managers have chosen to create more attacking options for their players instead of trying to beat Mourinho in his own game which is the game of nullifying the opposition.

I feel that NT football is coming closer and closer. That's where his ultra-defensive tactics might still work. But with Portugal already having won the Euros, i doubt there's any more gold dust for Mourinho until the end of his career.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Peter Crouch said the same thing last night. Sure it's a bad situation with injuries to key attacking players but he makes a bad situation worse.

Parrot should be given an opportunity since they don't have other strikers. Jose has always been terrible at bringing through academy players. He would rather play experienced pros in the wrong position than an academy player in their actual positions.
Exactly. Yes they have few injuries but like Crouch said he makes it look even worse.

He should trust the academy which he praised a lot when he signed contract, Van Gaal used the injury situation to bring in Will Keane and then Rashford. Solskjaer gave debuts to Williams, Greenwood. He should start to trust young players instead of moaning about injuries and shitting on his squad.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I was going through the Spurs forum for a couple of laughs, and noticed how similar sentiments are already echoing in there:

They're going after Levy the way we blamed Woodward (not saying he was blameless, just noticing similarities):
End of the day its Levys club.
Ask him whats going on.
Plenty of managers have taken the fall for Levy.
Jol, Poch, AVB and now Mourinho.
Ask LEVY
Anger is genuinely all I feel now. I despise Mourinho and everything he stands for but I honestly don’t really blame him. Whoever sanctioned his appointment, be it Levy, Lewis, or someone on the board, could very well have completely and utterly fecked us for the foreseeable future. Bar a very small number, the vast majority of Spurs fans (even the ones who feigned support in his early weeks) knew deep down that this was an utterly ridiculous appointment that was absolutely destined to fail. The guy is 1) way way way past his best and 2) completely and utterly incompatible with almost every aspect of the football club and the people running it.
The way we are playing right now is absolutely comparable to how Mourinhos previous clubs have all played in his final weeks with them. He has NEVER managed to turn it around when his teams begin to play like this and I will be absolutely astounded if he manages to do it with Spurs.
Where do we go from here? Who knows. Not a hope we will sack him because 1) Daniel Levy and ENIC will not want to look like utter mugs and 2) it will cost too much. So do we do what United do and buy him the players he wants and hope for the best? Bring in a DOF? Hope he resigns? I haven’t a scooby doo, and I’d bet my bottom dollar the club doesn’t either.
It’s an absolute, grade A pile of dung of a mess, one that only Tottenham Hotspur could manage to make.
If Mourinho goes, Levy has to go too.
I hate Mourinho but he’s shown time and again previously what he is. I’ve long accepted this.
Levy on the other hand deserves a massive slap on his dome piece. His only excuse is that he was on crack that fateful Tuesday.
Levy has to go before Mourinho, but that’s obviously not going to happen. We will never win titles if Levy keeps aiming for upper half tables and I genuinely want to believe that only Mourinho can change that. How can we be content for just being a top4 team when there is #1 place in sight? It will be a fight with so many other good teams around but it’s all about the mentality. We clearly deserve to question Mourinho after tonight but we have a bigger problem and bigger picture to look at.
Guys don't forget
Both Levy and Mourinho can fail to do their job simultaneously.... it's not an either or here.

I remember how Jose had some of us convinced Shaw, Bailly, Fred(I was convinced here) and Martial weren't good enough for us. Looks like he's convincing Spurs fans that their players are useless, too.
The players aren't good enough.
Aside from maybe Lo Celso, we don't have a single player who featured tonight who would start for anyone else in the top 7 in the Prem right now.
This squad is completely lopsided, relying entirely on Kane and Son to hide the cracks, and now that they're out injured it's clear as day that the other guys aren't good enough.
Jose and Poch before him are trying to make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Shit.
I’m refusing to judge Mourinho because our team is fecking wank. We have injuries to key players, gaping holes in our squad that need filling, ’senior’ players that consistently go missing and ‘top’ players like Ndombele putting in zero effort (watch Carragher’s MOTD analysis on him and you’ll feel sick).
Reserve judgement until this time next year when he’s had a Summer transfer window and a full pre-season to instil whatever vision he has into the team. Of course, it all depends on Levy unclenching his arsehole and stumping up a reasonable amount of cash to allow improvements to the squad (which we all know won’t happen).
I'm pretty much #EveryoneOut at the moment.

Some are slowly coming to their senses:
I’m not saying I’ve given up on Jose, but maybe Poch wasn’t the problem
We are playing defensive football but our defense is still shit it's the worst of both worlds.
Here he goes excuse after excuse
I'm waiting for the "Come in Agent José, your work it done!" GIFS from Chelsea fans
Lose to Spam and he can feck off. Seriously. RBL are crap. He’s not even bothering to find systems to compete. The football under Sherwood was better than this. I can’t quite believe I’d ever have to type that.
Even still, would've thought the Special One with his renowned pragmatism would have made us more solid by now. Individual cock-ups don't help, but he hasn't done well enough in this regard. I could handle lack of goals but get some shit 0-0s, the odd 1-0 win at least.
I will tell you what Sam Allardyce will do a good job, he will organise the defence and the attack will take care of itself.
We are conceding silly goals, poor defending poor organisation. We will still concede same goals if Kane and Son were on the pitch. Jose is moaning and making excuses.
So he went from throwing one player under the bus to the whole team.
What a complete joke of a man.
In my mind we don’t have a manager. We have a miserable egotistic dinosaur waiting for his severance packet.
That's the cnut that he is. It is always someone else's fault. His players are always so, so shit.
These kind of messages are so detrimental, both short term and long term for the current squad, and long term for squad development, as football players need confidence in themselves and their teammates and new recruits at a reasonable level will not join a shit squad. This is a big part of why I wanted him gone from the second we hired him, and why every loss, although it hurts a bit, fills me with a bit of hope that we are one step closer to the end of his reign. The fecking selfloving, useless cnut.
Alli says our confidence is gone; job done.
Yep final straw for me and i hope the board. He will need a lot of those players next season and he us shitting on them to protect what little is left of his reputation which is nothing. Unacceptable behaviour and add it to wanting the season over when in 3 competitions. Great man manager apparently.
Have to say I didn’t expect it to go south this quickly admittedly we have injuries but feck it’s like Jose three years into his reign.
It didn't take him three years to reach this stage in United either.
The guy has built an image of himself as special, based on ancient succes, fueled by the media, and maintained by glimpses of relative success in more recent history (EL win and runner up in PL for United). Mental defense mechanism will not accept any facts that proves that this image is in correct, thus he defends himself the only way he can: by blaming his failures on external factors. The less fuel he gets to maintain his image, the more experiences he has that indicates that he is not brilliant, the more fragile he become, the more he will lash out, the more he will need to defend himself by blaming the circumstances. That's why he's done as a manager, and why we (and United) should have never hired him in the first place.
we have a manager refusing to take any responsiblity and just throw players under the bus as he sees fit.
Does Jose give a shit about losing games? Because if he does, he hides it very well.
And therein lies part of the problem. The players confidence has been shot to feck and there is no joy or fun in their faces, they are not enjoying this at all. Jose is not a people manager, he is not a long term planner, he is not a motivator, he is past it.
"This squad is a gift"

Rolaholic

Absolutely cannot wait if he hangs on until the summer and expects something north of £200m for a summer rebuild only for Levy to offer £40-50m max :lol::lol:

Toys will be forcefully chucked out of the pram as far as they can

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Fans usually have a similar response to when things aren't going well. Blame is distributed by personal choice amongst players, board and the manager. Like we found out over the past few years, it's always a grey area and usually a complex combination of all three.

The thing with Jose, though, is that he's been a common denominator long enough while the boards and players he left behind suddenly look better. Real, Chelsea and United (still in progress) have all recovered well from a toxic cesspool after he left. That in itself should be a red flag for the next club taking a look at him - Jose Mourinho manages to reduce all other participants in a club's footballing ecosystem to their worst very quickly.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He can whine about the absence of Kane and Son as they've either scored or assisted 50% of Spurs' goals this season. It certainly has made things harder for him but he should have been more careful when he said that, finally, he has a great squad to work with when he arrived at Spurs. Apparently, Leipzig's bench is better than what Tottenham have to offer nowadays. He and Levy are going to be the main protagonists of a best-selling soap opera next summer.

Last night's game showcased how football has moved on and he has stayed behind. Gone are the days when he could snatch Makelele from a completely disorganized Real Madrid and get the extra man in the midfield that would allow him to dominate the English game. Now, we are living in the days of dynamic off the ball movement, high pressing and fluid positioning.

And i'm leaving the creation of chances out the equation, i'm talking about the build-up. Yesterday, he used two of the most trusted tactics he possesses in his bag of tricks. The attacking midfielder (Dele Alli) dropping deeper and participating in the midfield battle by trying to provide a numerical advantage and one FB (mainly Aurier) moving into a more advanced position while the other tucked inside to create a 4v3 advantage and beat Leipzig's press. It all went down the drain. The CBs had very few options due to the Germans' pressing. Any potential numerical advantages in the midfield were nullified by the constant shifting of Leipzig's positioning in the middle of the park (following the ball). And Aurier playing in more advanced positions and being an outlet in the final third (remember Ivanovic at Chelsea or Maicon at Inter ?) was answered by Werner attacking the space left behind and wreaking havoc (they scored two goals this way). Furthermore, Nagelsmann beat Mourinho's closing down higher up the pitch by taking advantage of the fact that Jose prioritizes shape over everything else. Upamecano would move in the midfield and allow Sabitzer to position himself in between the lines... similar to how Mourinho conquered England 15 years ago.

He's an open book. I heard someone say that a big chunk of modern tactics derives from the effort to beat him when he was in his prime. Might be true to a certain extent. Teams have learned how to treat the ball better, so he can't expect everybody to self-destruct on the ball and make mistakes for him to take advantage of. And many managers have chosen to create more attacking options for their players instead of trying to beat Mourinho in his own game which is the game of nullifying the opposition.

I feel that NT football is coming closer and closer. That's where his ultra-defensive tactics might still work. But with Portugal already having won the Euros, i doubt there's any more gold dust for Mourinho until the end of his career.
Good post! And the bold part I totally agree. His football style starved the other teams from space so much that you would need a lot of individual brilliance to get something out of the game or play in the same style like Benitez did.

So concepts like overloading become a trend in order to get more numbers in a determined area so they can get something out of it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Fully expect Mourinho to do a number on us this weekend. He fecking lives for games like this.
They said that when we faced him and we shafted Spurs quite easily twice.

He's been slowly declining in every gig since Madrid and now he's can't even do big games.

Zlatattack

The man was a wizard.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

Argh my eyes! :lol:

The man defied belief. Welbeck, Gibson, Anderson & Owen in an away CL KO, it was absurd.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Fully expect Mourinho to do a number on us this weekend. He fecking lives for games like this.

I just hope the team are well and truly sick of him by now and phone it in.
I'm fully prepared to be bitten on the arse here, but he used to live for games like us. Way back in the day. But i just don't see that from him anymore. I think the game could be a bit of a grind, if that's what you mean, but i'm not sure how much trouble they're going to cause us.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
And to think that Jorge Jesus is 10 years older and still keeps adding new stuff to his training and tactics makes it look even worse.
I have said for a while he is the best Portuguese coach and has been for some years now!

Revaulx

100% he hates football now, I reckon. He's taking absolutely no joy out of the sport anymore, every job he's had since Madrid he has seemed rock-bottom in terms of his mindset and attitude. He hates football nowadays.
Management yes. He seems to still enjoy it when he’s doing punditry.
I got chastised a bit for this but I honestly think he took this job as a stop-gap to get a payoff for getting fired.

Mourinho is an intelligent man - he knows what he needs to succeed at a club. A lot of money. He knows that Levy is not a guy that likes spending money. Nothing about this situation seems logical to me, it was doomed to fail.
Intelligent people aren’t always the best judges of themselves. You may be right, but I think it’s equally likely that he takes jobs on in perfectly good faith, genuinely believing that it won’t go like it did last time. Plenty of top academics divorce and remarry on a regular basis.

The more interesting question for me is why Levy employed him in the first place. He’s supposed to be not only an intelligent man, but a ruthless and dispassionate bastard as well. And yet he couldn’t see this coming? Maybe the contract is booby trapped with get out clauses.

Rolaholic

Spurs fans learning what Chelsea and United fans learned the hard way in recent years, feels all like deja vu :lol: :houllier:

It usually takes more than season or 2 to get that point but it seems as if he's accelerated the timeline this go around and is already dividing their fanbase between his acolytes and followers of his cult of personality and the traditional fans of the club 3-4 months in

Bocca9978

Absolutely cannot wait if he hangs on until the summer and expects something north of £200m for a summer rebuild only for Levy to offer £40-50m max :lol::lol:

Toys will be forcefully chucked out of the pram as far as they can
And then he’ll sit there sulking until he is sacked and given £20m ‘compensation’.

Status
Not open for further replies.