Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm fully prepared to be bitten on the arse here, but he used to live for games like us. Way back in the day. But i just don't see that from him anymore. I think the game could be a bit of a grind, if that's what you mean, but i'm not sure how much trouble they're going to cause us.
I hope you're right, I just don't want scenes of him on the pitch at full time doing what he did at Juventus away when we beat them...

crossy1686

career ending

Spurs fans learning what Chelsea and United fans learned the hard way in recent years, feels all like deja vu :lol: :houllier:

It usually takes more than season or 2 to get that point but it seems as if he's accelerated the timeline this go around and is already dividing their fanbase between his acolytes and followers of his cult of personality and the traditional fans of the club 3-4 months in
all that sounds awfully familiar.

Alabaster Codify7

Management yes. He seems to still enjoy it when he’s doing punditry.

Intelligent people aren’t always the best judges of themselves. You may be right, but I think it’s equally likely that he takes jobs on in perfectly good faith, genuinely believing that it won’t go like it did last time. Plenty of top academics divorce and remarry on a regular basis.

The more interesting question for me is why Levy employed him in the first place. He’s supposed to be not only an intelligent man, but a ruthless and dispassionate bastard as well. And yet he couldn’t see this coming? Maybe the contract is booby trapped with get out clauses.

Yeah, the entire situation made no sense from day one. Bizarre.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Argh my eyes! :lol:

The man defied belief. Welbeck, Gibson, Anderson & Owen in an away CL KO, it was absurd.
This what a great manager does. Improve players they have even if they aren’t good enough. Most notably, Pochettino did that at Spurs, Klopp at Liverpool and Dortmund, Wilder at Sheffield, Santo at Wolves, Nagelsman at Lepzeig, and so on. Managers that needs money to do well or a ready made good team like Ole, Mourinho, Zidane, Di Matteo and so on, will eventually be found out if they don’t get backed.

Last edited:

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
This what a great manager does. Improve players they have even if they aren’t good enough. Most notably, Pochettino did that at Spurs, Klopp at Liverpool and Dortmund, Wilder at Sheffield, Santo at Spurs, Nagelsman at Lepzeig, and so on. Managers that needs money to do well or a ready made good team like Ole, Mourinho, Zidane, Di Matteo and so on, will eventually be found out if they don’t get backed.
This post was constructed solely just to have a pop at Solskjaer. Firstly Wilder at Sheffield United? really? Also who the feck is Santo at Spurs? What annoys me mostly is people like you who pretend to be knowledgeable just to make their tired points yet again. If you cannot see that OGS is making progress at United then you arent very bright are you? Agenda posters melt my fecking head.

Also we arent hiring Poch so get over it.

Lentwood

This what a great manager does. Improve players they have even if they aren’t good enough. Most notably, Pochettino did that at Spurs, Klopp at Liverpool and Dortmund, Wilder at Sheffield, Santo at Spurs, Nagelsman at Lepzeig, and so on. Managers that needs money to do well or a ready made good team like Ole, Mourinho, Zidane, Di Matteo and so on, will eventually be found out if they don’t get backed.
Why is Ole in that group? Ole has improved loads of the players he inherited, plus some of the one's he has bought

LVGSdive

This post was constructed solely just to have a pop at Solskjaer. Firstly Wilder at Sheffield United? really? Also who the feck is Santo at Spurs? What annoys me mostly is people like you who pretend to be knowledgeable just to make their tired points yet again. If you cannot see that OGS is making progress at United then you arent very bright are you? Agenda posters melt my fecking head.

Wilder has clearly improved players at Sheffield United. Do you actually know who he is?

Santo at Wolves that is supposed to say btw.

Amadaeus

Santo at Wolves I mean. And Yes, Wilder has done well with a poor group of players. This isn’t a pop at Ole as I included other managers as well. I acknowledge that Ole is making progress, but that progress is on the foundation of having the backing of the board, not some tactical philosophy or man management ability. If we had chosen not to break the world record fee for defenders and pay a hefty amount for Bruno and instead invest in some bargain signings or no signings at all, I fear where we would be. So good recruitment is at the heart of this progress that I m acknowledging. Could you imagine if our board told Ole what Chelsea board told Lampard last January and made no signing? We wouldn’t be favorite for a champions league spot.

LVGSdive

Are you the original poster? Also of course I know who Wilder is but he isnt a fecking great manager.
No I am not but I could logically work it out that Santo was at Wolves.

How is Wilder not a great manager? He has overachieved in every job he has been at. Commands respect from his players, improves the players, has them all playing in a system that they're comfortable in and hasn't spent hundreds of millions of pounds to get Sheffield United up to 7th in the table, with a game in hand which could take them to 5th.

Ramshock

No I am not but I could logically work it out that Santo was at Wolves.

How is Wilder not a great manager? He has overachieved in every job he has been at. Commands respect from his players, improves the players, has them all playing in a system that they're comfortable in and hasn't spent hundreds of millions of pounds to get Sheffield United up to 7th in the table, with a game in hand which could take them to 5th.
If that is your definition of great lad you need to get out more.

SATA

Wilder is a great manager for Sheff Utd themselves. The bigger clubs are never going to employ him just because of what good he’s doing there. Just like Eddie Howe

Big Sam was great with Bolton but the only club that you can probably class as decently big whom employed him was Everton, and i think he was sacked in the end

Ramshock

Santo at Wolves I mean. And Yes, Wilder has done well with a poor group of players. This isn’t a pop at Ole as I included other managers as well. I acknowledge that Ole is making progress, but that progress is on the foundation of having the backing of the board, not some tactical philosophy or man management ability. If we had chosen not to break the world record fee for defenders and pay a hefty amount for Bruno and instead invest in some bargain signings or no signings at all, I fear where we would be. So good recruitment is at the heart of this progress that I m acknowledging. Could you imagine if our board told Ole what Chelsea board told Lampard last January and made no signing? We wouldn’t be favorite for a champions league spot.
Nobody is doubting Bruno has improved the team, there is more to whats going on at United than the recruitment. The culture change had to happen and Ole is the only man to do it.

Handré1990

Nobody is doubting Bruno has improved the team, there is more to whats going on at United than the recruitment. The culture change had to happen and Ole is the only man to do it.
You might as well give up on that one while you still have your sanity. Zidane as well, since when does winning everything make you a bad manager?:houllier:

Judas

Open to offers
It is very funny to see this happen to Spurs of all teams, a lot of their fans have been so smug last few years, to see them get Jose'd and Jose'd so quickly is lovely.

Obviously they'll beat us on Sunday.

Inter Yer Nan

It was a strange appointment for both Jose and Spurs. He probably needed an easy job where the league is almost guaranteed to gain some luster back and they have totally gone against everything they'd been trying to do in recent years. Obviously he's created taken a bad situation and made it poisonous. It's what he's always done but when he wasn't as totally jaded, burned out and his ideas were at least fresher not to mention had the biggest checkbook he could do a good job for a couple of seasons. I think he's totally incapable of that now. The style of football he brings means he wouldn't get the jobs of teams most likely to succeed which means he's left with jobs like Spurs, maybe something in Italy (but not Juventus). He's really not been an elite manager in quite a while. Maybe it's time for international football once he gets sacked from Spurs?

RedCurry

Beware of the hurting tiger. Mourinho will be all out for a result against us this weekend.
The legend never dies. Jose hasn't been a tiger for almost half an decade now. He has one trick, that is to park the bus and hope the forwards can do their business up top. When that eventually fails, he has nothing else up his sleeve. If we don't smash Spurs on the weekend that will be a failure on our part. I want to see players like Martial, Shaw, Fred be absolutely fired up.

Aresma7

I’m convinced you would still want Pochettino even if Ole brought us back to top. You talk like Moyes LvG and Mou wasn’t backed? How come players started to shine after Ole changed the culture? Man management is the key, and buying new players means they have to be inplemented to the team one way or another. Ole has managed this. Mou didnt. LvG didnt and Moyes didn’t. With your logic any of the players that came after Ole was appointed would have been successful under the previous managers. And that you can’t prove? Ole has proven that. Start supporting your manager.
Are you telling me Spurs has a less talented team than what Wolves and Sheffield has? And still, your favourite manager and Jose failed.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
This is pro football. It's, at once, a ruthless business yet it's often a business founded on nostalgia, sentiment and wishful-thinking. From fans believing that a player like Rooney will come good again (despite ever-increasing decline) to chairmen believing that 'once a winner, always a winner' when it comes to managerial appointments like Jose's. The problem with wishful-thinking - and such stale thinking, generally - is that successful managers like LVG and Mourinho end up believing it too: believing that what has worked perfectly for them in past times will always work. If, however, their methods fail to work, then they have a host of self-excusing reasons to choose from ('If only I'd received complete support from the board...'/'If only they'd bought the right players for me...'/'If only the players had followed my instructions as they should...'/'Football's changed, and not for the better...' etc etc); it's a loop, a loop of failure and self-righteous wilful delusion. Understandable faith in methods (given previous successes) slowly turns into stubborness, and a desire to prove critics wrong becomes the main ambition instead of more positive drives.
Good post.

It’s not comparable with other businesses in hiring managers. Jose had been sacked from his 3 previous jobs and had massive public fall-outs with board, players, fans etc etc. Can you imagine him being taken on in a normal industry with that knowledge being available to the prospective employer?

OleTheGreat

Jose is something else, isn't he? Jose can make things work only if all his players want to give everything for him but most often than not he loses their interest because he's never been a charmer. He works things in his own mind and wants his players to play a certain way. He's more of a strict man with a certain way of play. Sadly those demanding manager times are over. The new trend is for managers to just learn about his players, learn about their skill set and set up a team accordingly. Every player has a trait and a team will only work effectively if the players are played in the position of their strength. Jose plays a certain formation and expects his players to change accordingly. He wants Martial to defend in his own half which killed half his momentum, Pogba played so deep he wanted to leave, Fellaini sucked but was thrown in every other match.

Spurs fans, i tell you one thing, whether winning a major trophy was important or not, losing Poch is probably one of the worst things that has happened to you and hiring Jose is right above it. He might win you a cup or two in the 2/3 years he's gonna be with you but he'll kill the passion for football.

EwanI Ted

Its fascinating looking at Mourinho's record in the Champions League, really highlights how his career has stalled.

Porto - 03-04 - Winners
Chelsea - 04-05 - semis
Chelsea - 05-06 - R of 16
Chelsea - 06-07 - semis
Inter - 08-09 - R of 16
Inter - 09-10 - Winners
Real Madrid - 10-11 - semis
Real Madrid - 11-12 - semis
Real Madrid - 12-13 - semis
Chelsea - 13-14 - semis
Chelsea - 14-15 - R of 16
Man United - 17-18 - R of 16
Spurs - 19-20 - R of 16

(Ignoring seasons where he got sacked before the knockout stages). In his first 10 years in the competition he won it twice and reached the semis 6 times. Even on the two occasions he got knocked out at the R of 16, it was at the hands of the eventual winners Barca, then by us with our great team led by Ronaldo, no shame in either of those defeats.

But in the last 6 seasons he's only appeared in it three times at all. On every occasion he's gone out at the first knockout stage, meekly, and to teams that are decent but far from amazing (PSG, Sevilla, Leipzig).

If youre a team like Bayern, PSG or Juve, looking to take that last step and win the Champions League, back in 2014 he looked the closest thing to a sure fire bet. Now he's way, way down the list of managers you'd choose to win that competition. And with the top four looking tough for Spurs in the near future, his record isn't getting any better soon.

James Peril

Think people are being a tad unfair, not many managers could lose so many attacking players and not feel the brunt.

The biggest crime was not getting a stand in for Kane during the window. Levy must be held responsible for that.
Nobody is contesting the fact that losing Kane and Son is a huge blow for Spurs. The problem is that he is basically losing games on purpose to show the world how unfair everything is. He’s a quitter now, he isn’t able to galvanize the squad and make them give more than what’s possible. At Chelsea back in the day, you saw players bleeding in battle for their leader, at United and Spurs we see players shaking their heads in disbelief about how messed up he is. Completely lost the plot - it’s amazing how he can behave like this without having his contract terminated without pay. This is different to just being a bad manager.

Another huge problem is that if he stays, he is never going to bring the players he wants. Spurs aren’t big enough and won’t pay the top dollar,the exciting Pochettino-age is truly over... and last but not least, very few want to play for Mourinho.

This ends only one way, the question is when Levy is going to make the decision which will haunt him for the rest of his professional life.

The Purley King

Good post.

It’s not comparable with other businesses in hiring managers. Jose had been sacked from his 3 previous jobs and had massive public fall-outs with board, players, fans etc etc. Can you imagine him being taken on in a normal industry with that knowledge being available to the prospective employer?
That happens routinely in large corporations. Someone who fecked up badly at ceo level will get another gig somewhere else.
It’s not exclusive to football...........

Dorris

You conveniently forget it took poch over a year to start improving players and get spurs playing decent football. As I recall there was calls for his head throughout his first year just like there was for ole

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Anyone else a tad concerned about Jose’s mental health?

I have been since his father passed away personally. I think he has some issues and the way the media are relentlessly on his back can’t be helping.

Just because he is a multi-millionaire in the public eye, he is still a human.

LVGSdive

If that is your definition of great lad you need to get out more.
There's more to being a great manager then spending hundreds of millions of pounds more than everyone else and therefore winning trophies. Wilder has overachieved in every job he has been at. That makes him a great manager regardless of how much I go outside.

Amadaeus

I’m convinced you would still want Pochettino even if Ole brought us back to top. You talk like Moyes LvG and Mou wasn’t backed? How come players started to shine after Ole changed the culture? Man management is the key, and buying new players means they have to be inplemented to the team one way or another. Ole has managed this. Mou didnt. LvG didnt and Moyes didn’t. With your logic any of the players that came after Ole was appointed would have been successful under the previous managers. And that you can’t prove? Ole has proven that. Start supporting your manager.
Are you telling me Spurs has a less talented team than what Wolves and Sheffield has? And still, your favourite manager and Jose failed.
What are you on about mate? Lvg and Mourinho were backed fully by our boards. They both won trophies, but were not good enough to win the important one. These managers have been more successful than Ole. And what do you mean players starting to shine? There have been ups and down this season and no consistency. These players we had have always been naturally talented and I have been vocal about that despite a lot of fans on here saying otherwise. Ole has given them more freedom to express themselves rather than implement a strict philosophy on them, which allowed these players to show their natural talent. This is why so many fans on here have said there has been lack of coaching down by our management team.

In what world did Pochettino fail at Spurs? :lol: Pochettino overachieved at Spurs and it will take one of the best managers in football to take this Spurs team to the level he took them. Spurs aren’t a top club and they aren’t expected to win big honors like United, Chelsea, Liverpool, city and so on. It was only after Pochettino revolution that they began being looked at as a top club that should be winning title.
You conveniently forget it took poch over a year to start improving players and get spurs playing decent football. As I recall there was calls for his head throughout his first year just like there was for ole
Pochettino didn’t inherit a team that was second place last season and cost upward of half a billion. So standards were different.

Last edited:

Gasolin

This what a great manager does. Improve players they have even if they aren’t good enough. Most notably, Pochettino did that at Spurs, Klopp at Liverpool and Dortmund, Wilder at Sheffield, Santo at Wolves, Nagelsman at Lepzeig, and so on. Managers that needs money to do well or a ready made good team like Ole, Mourinho, Zidane, Di Matteo and so on, will eventually be found out if they don’t get backed.
Ole didn't improve Rashford, Martial, Scott, Fred, Williams, Greenwood? Even AWB and Shaw to a certain extend? *WOW*.
Just looking at how Rashford is more lethal and how Martial plays for the team and with more intensity should tell you everything you need to know about how he improves players.

Amadaeus

Ole didn't improve Rashford, Martial, Scott, Fred, Williams, Greenwood? Even AWB and Shaw to a certain extend? *WOW*.
Just looking at how Rashford is more lethal and how Martial plays for the team and with more intensity should tell you everything you need to know about how he improves players.
:lol: The whole premise of this argument must have flew past you :lol:. Which of these players you listed are average? They are and always have been extremely highly rated and talented.

AR87

Pochettino didn’t inherit a team that was second place last season and cost upward of half a billion. So standards were different.
1. The team that finished 2nd had metrics which suggested it should have finished closer to 6th, but was saved blushes because DDG stood on his head for a whole season. As soon as his form dipped a bit the following season we were.....6th when Jose was sacked. Funny that.

2. Ole didn't spend the money on the squad he inherited. Why does it matter what players cost that he had nothing to do with bringing to the club? What matters is how they performed prior to his arrival and since. Fred, Rashford, Martial, McTominay, Matic, Lindelof, Shaw, even Pogba, are player he inherited who have performed better under him than they did prior to his arrival. His signings have also been solid.

3. Your standards are completely out of whack because your framing of the circumstances he took over don't actually stand up on any scrutiny.

Gasolin

:lol: The whole premise of this argument must have flew past you :lol:. Which of these players you listed are average? They are and always have been extremely highly rated and talented.
That's why everyone was calling Rashford Rashford, wanted Martial sold, Scott sold, Fred sold, Shaw sold... etc... plenty of those players were considered deadwood by a lot of the fans and all of sudden, when he makes them tick, they are extremely highly rated and talented?!? Sure...

Did you think Pep took Lingard and made him Messi or something? Who does that?

arthurka

To put things into context this was our team that beat reigning Bundesliga champion Wolfsburg in the CL:

Of course Wolfsburg was a pretty terrible team and it wasn't a knockout tie but sums up how big an effect the manager can have on players, good or bad.
Exactly it goes both ways.. He seems to have lost his mojo..

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Are you making the argument that us signing Harry Maguire is the reason for Marcus Rashford doubling his goal output?

Amadaeus

That's why everyone was calling Rashford Rashford, wanted Martial sold, Scott sold, Fred sold, Shaw sold... etc... plenty of those players were considered deadwood by a lot of the fans and all of sudden, when he makes them tick, they are extremely highly rated and talented?!? Sure...

Did you think Pep took Lingard and made him Messi or something? Who does that?
Everyone? Those were unintelligent, deluded fans. If you listen to posters like me more often, you would see that my praise for them has remained consistent. Many experts have sang the praise of these players as Martial had a ballon d’or Clause in his contract, Mctominay won award under Mourinho and was highly rated, fred(see the I owe fred an apology thread, under my post), Shaw most expensive and highly rated fullback when purchased, and Rashford was one of the best talent to come from our academy with early England call up and better stats than Kane at similar age. You were misguided, but I don’t blame you, not everyone has good footballing acumen and insight. Good manager would make lingard a productive part of the team, same way Sir Alex did with Gibson, Cleverly, Welbeck, and so on. The managers I listed have had similar impact on average players.
1. The team that finished 2nd had metrics which suggested it should have finished closer to 6th, but was saved blushes because DDG stood on his head for a whole season. As soon as his form dipped a bit the following season we were.....6th when Jose was sacked. Funny that.

2. Ole didn't spend the money on the squad he inherited. Why does it matter what players cost that he had nothing to do with bringing to the club? What matters is how they performed prior to his arrival and since. Fred, Rashford, Martial, McTominay, Matic, Lindelof, Shaw, even Pogba, are player he inherited who have performed better under him than they did prior to his arrival. His signings have also been solid.

3. Your standards are completely out of whack because your framing of the circumstances he took over don't actually stand up on any scrutiny.
1. You are trying to move the goalposts to fit your argument. The goalpost you shifted, forgot to mention our Europa league victory as well. Regardless of the metric, we finished second and that team when Jose got sacked showcased how good they were during the honeymoon period where we went on a record victory run.
2. Doesn’t matter whether Ole spent it or not, the team we had was still more valuable. It matters because it shows that we had premium, quality players at our disposal rather than average players you will see at a lesser club.
3. My standards are perfect as shown by you shifting the goalpost to defend your position
Are you making the argument that us signing Harry Maguire is the reason for Marcus Rashford doubling his goal output?
:lol: not sure how you came to that conclusion, but signing Maguire and AWB is the reason why we are looking more solid in defense. Rashford improves output is from playing in a more free role that gives his natural talent more freedom to shine. It is not like he never had it in him. His output was better than Kane before Poch transformed Kane into one of the best striker in football. Our fans underestimate our players for reason I don’t understand.

Last edited:

Gasolin

Everyone? Those were unintelligent, deluded fans. If you listen to posters like me more often, you would see that my praise for them has remained consistent. Many experts have sang the praise of these players as Martial had a ballon d’or Clause in his contract, Mctominay won award under Mourinho and was highly rated, fred(see the I owe fred an apology thread, under my post), Shaw most expensive and highly rated fullback when purchased, and Rashford was one of the best talent to come from our academy with early England call up and better stats than Kane at similar age. You were misguided, but I don’t blame you, not everyone has good footballing acumen and insight. Good manager would make lingard a productive part of the team, same way Sir Alex did with Gibson, Cleverly, Welbeck, and so on. The managers I listed have had similar impact on average players.

1. You are trying to move the goalposts to fit your argument. The goalpost you shifted, forgot to mention our Europa league victory as well. Regardless of the metric, we finished second and that team when Jose got sacked showcased how good they were during the honeymoon period where we went on a record victory run.
2. Doesn’t matter whether Ole spent it or not, the team we had was still more valuable. It matters because it shows that we had premium, quality players at our disposal rather than average players you will see at a lesser club.
3. My standards are perfect as shown by you shifting the goalpost to defend your position
Stop it mate, you talk about "posters like me", but you fail to understand even what we are doing on the field. Ridiculous!
You call Ole reactive, when we have managed to keep the ball 80% of the time, if not more, whether we have the ball or not, against many teams recently, including City.
Pochettino is not the right fit for United, that's about it for now mate. I hope you are behind Ole 200% and enjoy the progress he is going to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.