Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owngoalscorer

Hated it when he was appointed here - He is the enemy and shouldn't have been allowed anywhere nears this club.
Nowadays watching him feck up all Pochettino's good work is almost pleasurable (at least when there isn't any decent football to watch) - some of the close-ups on his reactions at various moments during the match were pure gold. Hopefully Amazon will have "forgotton" a camera in the dressing room and left it on just so the rest of us can have a good giggle.
Still going with comedy, i tried the spellchecker on Poch's name and it came up with Pinochet !! :eek::houllier::lol:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The Spurs subreddit is surprisingly defensive towards Mourinho. They think he is still a world-class manager. Oh well, they'll learn.

Chief123

From Spurs forum. The memories of the dire football we had to put up with! Jose is a manager who you don't realise how horrific his football is until he's your own manager! Oh boy Good riddance!

The fecking state of affairs.

The only positive I take from the game is that it seems that more people are finally waking up to the fact that Jose can not be the manager of Spurs.

I am starting to get used to losing again, after some wonderful years of greatness, I guess I can come to terms with us being a mid-table team again, but I can not fecking stand the football we are playing. It is disgraceful.

I hope people see now what we had. What we have lost due to ungrateful whining and demands for more, for silverware, for titles. Demands for a plan B, a plan B that caused our managers to lose focus on our once brilliant plan A.

We stopped playing with AMs who could actually play football to add players who could run and dribble. Now we can not control a game, we can not outplay a team, all they have to do is deny us space in behind and we have nothing.

We have a manager now that is only here because of cries for titles. He adds nothing of value. Maybe a bit of cynicism, but that is all. He has no idea how to organize and implement an attacking plan. He places no value on creativity. He does not care to play positive football. And his ability to get the best out of players and teams died years ago.

Unfortunately for us, we were fortunate last season. If you look behind the points we got, the numbers are mostly atrocious. We were often dominated in possession, shots, shots on goal, xG and xPts, even when we won games.

In the summer we made the least exciting signings I can remember us doing, and today we got the first piece of evidence that Doherty and Hojbjerg will only make us worse.

We will keep deteriorating for as long as the current manager is in charge. We need someone who will be brave enough to clean up our squad and have us start playing actual fecking football again.

Sadly, I think we can not afford to fire Jose due to the whole Covid situation. fecked if we do, fecked if we don't.

The fecking state of affairs.

Skills

Snitch
How did anyone think this was going to work?

This is is a guy who was complaining about us not backing him after we spent £100s of millions on signing players for him. Then he went to a club who often spend absolute feck all.

The amount Spurs have spent this summer on Doherty and Hojbjerg is about the same as he's used to spending on players he just wants to stop his rivals from getting without any real use for them.

Zoo

If we miss CL he will surely be gone. With Chelsea improving and other teams too that look like it could happen.
We should really be challenging for the league with what we got, but can't see it under Ole.

He should last longer than Mourinho and Moyes though.
Still trolling

James Peril

Still find it utterly insane that he went and got Höjbjerg and put him right into the team. He is incredibly mediocre, not even close... perplexed to say the least. Is this the level Spurs want to be at? It would be like United going after Albrighton on the right side instead of Sancho. I understand Spurs are skint and struggle to attract players, but still.... why not go after Iheanacho and Mustafi while still at it?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I can’t stand him these days and thought from the start he’d be a bad appointment for United, but I don’t think this is really accurate.

Pretty much the only enjoyable thing about his tenure was our fairly regular comebacks. Which seemed to indicate that either the players didn’t hate him as much as the Jose haters thought, or they were a lot more dedicated and professional than his fanboys would have them be.

It does look that way at Spurs, though some reckon the players had already given up under Poch.
I think the comebacks were there only after the Sevilla game, and I don't think they were because of him, but in spite of him.

Guy Incognito

I remember Chelsea being 1-0 down at home to Bolton in the first half, in his first spell at Chelsea. He took off a defender at half time, replaced him with an attacker and went with three at the back, then overwhelmed Bolton with 5 second half goals. That was in the days the 4231 still seemed exotic. Swapping a defender for an attacker was just so daring, and whenever he tried something, it paid off. Nowadays he still makes changes, but they don't seem to have any logic to them and don't influence the game. Like he's going on muscle memory but can't remember why it used to work anymore.
There was another game, West Ham at home. Down to ten men, goal down and they powered through 4-1.

That side could manage itself, testament to his coaching abilities.

Haddock

How did anyone think this was going to work?

This is is a guy who was complaining about us not backing him after we spent £100s of millions on signing players for him. Then he went to a club who often spend absolute feck all.

The amount Spurs have spent this summer on Doherty and Hojbjerg is about the same as he's used to spending on players he just wants to stop his rivals from getting without any real use for them.
£30m Bailly
£27m Mikhitaryan
£89m Pogba
£75m (rising to £90m) Lukaku
£31m Lindelof (As a pundit he went on TV and slagged him off saying he can't head the ball)
£40m Matic
£19m Dalot
£50m Fred
£1.5m Grant
and untold millions spent on Zlatan and Sanchez

That's not counting turning up in a hoodie to the Munich memorial, questioning Martial's decision to be with his newborn, Luke Shaw's mid game brain transplant and of course, Errrrrrrrrrrritage.

Looking back, did he improve a single player in our squad? By the end his tactics amounted to lumping it to Fellaini. He was a truly great manager. Was. We got the B-Tec version.
I think the comebacks were there only after the Sevilla game, and I don't think they were because of him, but in spite of him.
Because in Pogba, de Gea, Martial and even Sanchez we had some ungodly talent with professional pride.

From 28 November to Boxing day Spurs play Chelsea, Arsenal, Palace, Liverpool, Leicester and Wolves. I look forward to it.

Cloud7

Everton's first away win against a Top Six side in 40 attempts. Kane only having two touches inside opposition box.

Not a good start for Jose and Spurs. Flip side is that Everton are managed by a champions league winning manager and not some average manager.
If he was still our manager, this seems like exactly the sort of record they would have broken against us, not Spurs

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think it’s time he retired and we got pundit Mourinho. He has such great experience in the game and is so knowledgeable. I think he elevates any studio conversation he is a part of and would like to see him in that role.

Fluctuation0161

If I had to make a bet, I would say he will be gone before Christmas. He will not get the necessary backing in the market, some of the key players do not look like themselves and the playstyle looks shite. It could turn sour pretty quickly.
Not a great start, but he could pull it back quickly. Once he starts throwing his players under his bus, it will begin to fall apart. Slowly but surely like clockwork "our" Jose.

Foxbatt

What happened to Jose? He was a world class manager. You do not win two CLs, PL, Serie A and the La Liga if you are not a world class manager. But he seems to have lost everything he has as a manager.

sugar_kane

£30m Bailly
£27m Mikhitaryan
£89m Pogba
£31m Lindelof (As a pundit he went on TV and slagged him off saying he can't head the ball)
£40m Matic
£19m Dalot
£50m Fred
£1.5m Grant

That's not counting turning up in a hoodie to the Munich memorial, questioning Martial's decision to be with his newborn, Luke Shaw's mid game brain transplant and of course, Errrrrrrrrrrritage.

Looking back, did he improve a single player in our squad? By the end his tactics amounted to lumping it to Fellaini. He was a truly great manager. Was. We got the B-Tec version.

Because in Pogba, de Gea, Martial and even Sanchez we had some ungodly talent with professional pride.

From 28 November to Boxing day Spurs play Chelsea, Arsenal, Palace, Liverpool, Leicester and Wolves. I look forward to it.
The first half of this post needs pinning to the top of every Mourinho thread for when his creepy little fan boys and apologists come along.

as a side note, it’s funny but also kind of tragic seeing the Spurs fans go through the same denial curve most of us went through when he was our manager.

littleman

I think it’s time he retired and we got pundit Mourinho. He has such great experience in the game and is so knowledgeable. I think he elevates any studio conversation he is a part of and would like to see him in that role.
I have a different opinion.

You know, everyone's career is a journey. Not just pro athletes and coaches, but you and me. There's a lot you go through in your working life over the decades -- after all, it's probably about half of your waking life from age 20 onwards. You learn a lot, you suffer a lot.. and you come to face with whom you really are. Sometimes people deny it and just slink into the darkness. Sometimes they embrace it and reach new highs (see Trump). Sometimes it takes a while before they get it right (see Steve Jobs). And sometimes they transform themselves into something new and better.

Mourinho is at a crossroads now, and he really will have to pick his path. I think he's the most fascinating case of all in current world football, because no one is saying similar about Pep. And Zidane doesn't have the track record for issues to start cropping up. Ancelotti at Everton is another interesting one -- but I'm not quite sure how that story is going to play out.

Given how Mourinho has knuckled and doubled down, it's hard to imagine a redemption arc but that's precisely what would make a redemption arc an incredible thing to see in world football.

Moiraine

£30m Bailly
£27m Mikhitaryan
£89m Pogba
£40m Matic
£19m Dalot
£50m Fred
£1.5m Grant

Cracking post.
Very well done , Keep it going.

Eddy_JukeZ

It was hilarious seeing so many Spurs fans throughout social media and other fans pin all his failures here on Woodward, the players and the board.

These cultists can't stand the fact that their idol is no more.

A complete has-been of a manager.

Said it in 2018. I'll say it once more: He will never win a league title at a big league ever again.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

You know, everyone's career is a journey. Not just pro athletes and coaches, but you and me. There's a lot you go through in your working life over the decades -- after all, it's probably about half of your waking life from age 20 onwards. You learn a lot, you suffer a lot.. and you come to face with whom you really are. Sometimes people deny it and just slink into the darkness. Sometimes they embrace it and reach new highs (see Trump). Sometimes it takes a while before they get it right (see Steve Jobs). And sometimes they transform themselves into something new and better.

Mourinho is at a crossroads now, and he really will have to pick his path. I think he's the most fascinating case of all in current world football, because no one is saying similar about Pep. And Zidane doesn't have the track record for issues to start cropping up. Ancelotti at Everton is another interesting one -- but I'm not quite sure how that story is going to play out.

Given how Mourinho has knuckled and doubled down, it's hard to imagine a redemption arc but that's precisely what would make a redemption arc an incredible thing to see in world football.
I already went through that phase to be honest. I just don’t see it happening anymore. I think new pastures and a new role can be embraced to, in life.

He is very charismatic and charming when he wants to be. I think he would be great doing TV work. Just because we were once great at something, doesn’t mean we always have to do it.

His pride probably won’t let him stop, but the game has passed him by, I would be very surprised to see a redemption arc of any kind at this stage.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto

Very well put. I think people are too quick to judge wether Jose is past it or not. Things aren't black and white. He never had a magical formula or a cheat tactic that now became useless. But in the end it's results that dictate his success or failure.

Today was an interesting battle between two of the best managers in the history of the game. First half Spurs was on top, the team seemed well prepared but failed to score and then, the 2nd half was on Everton. Both teams seemed knackered and thus defending was an easier task.

I believe we will see many strange results this season due to covid but Spurs will do well eventually.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What happened to Jose? He was a world class manager. You do not win two CLs, PL, Serie A and the La Liga if you are not a world class manager. But he seems to have lost everything he has as a manager.
Same thing that happened to Wenger post 2010.

Same happens to managers that happen to majority of players once they hit 29-30. The knowledge is still there but something gets lost in trying to communicate things to players and you also try to veer away from a style that's served you well for 20 years given the way football at top level is constantly evolving. He still wants to play a 2000s style of play.

Daonico

Still find it utterly insane that he went and got Höjbjerg and put him right into the team. He is incredibly mediocre, not even close... perplexed to say the least. Is this the level Spurs want to be at? It would be like United going after Albrighton on the right side instead of Sancho. I understand Spurs are skint and struggle to attract players, but still.... why not go after Iheanacho and Mustafi while still at it?
shhhh we don't want those ideas to get to woody...

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
I noticed we play them at Anfield on December 16th, about the same time he was sacked with United day after weren't it? I'll say he'll be gone that week with his feet up for Christmas.

criticalanalysis

As long as clubs are wiling to pay his high wage and contract, of course he will continue managing.

I have no sympathy. The guy is laughing all the way to bank.

Forget all that 'legacy', 'motivation', 'feel sorry for', 'the game has left him behind' sentimental etc bollocks. He's accepting jobs knowing full well he's past it and not doing anything to help himself i.e reinvent his approach with tactics, coaching etc. He's just going through the emotions and phoning it in with his past reputation, charisma and ego. As long as you don't accept yourself as poor, then it's someone's else choice to make that decision for you.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why do his teams play like they’re unfit? This never used to be the case but with us and now Spurs, it’s as if the players have never ran before

RyRoc

It's at the point with him that even if there was a pot of money to spend I'd have at least 20 (possibly more) candidates ahead of him. Personally don't see him coaching in a big league again after Spurs.

Withnail

Keep dreaming.

Has there ever been such a renaissance for a washed up manager in football?

Withnail

Why do his teams play like they’re unfit? This never used to be the case but with us and now Spurs, it’s as if the players have never ran before
His teams historically were always very fit weren't they?

He doesn't seem to do enough fitness work any more for some reason. He got rid of the GPS trackers when he was at United... Madness

hobbers

It's a shame because as a guy I do find him really likeable. I had a lot of respect for that brazen arrogance he showed at Porto and Chelsea and Inter. I really wanted him to reinvent himself at United. But if he couldn't do that for the United job then it's clear he won't be able to do it anywhere.

He doesn't trust his players so he can't build a siege mentality any more. He can't seem to help splitting every dressing room into the "Jose's players" and "players Jose doesn't like" factions. From Chelsea to United and now Spurs, his players always seem chronically unfit. His signings flop. His style of football doesn't win any plaudits.

BorisManUtd

If he can similar season as was his first with us, winning Europa league and League cup, that would be fantastic for them. Even just league cup would be fine probably.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
After Spurs he can probably only go back to Inter (he still calls them “my Inter”) and completely destroy them or manage Portugal once Ronaldo retires because then he (Jose) can get the whole attention.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Plural? I can certainly see it with this Spurs side, but can't really think of other examples. A few factors. This Spurs side has been mentally drained since last summer, and physically pushed to the limit last season. Still the first game of the season, but they've not got good balance and the purchases they've made seem puzzling, given the imbalance is still unaddressed. And Rui Faria is no longer with Mourinho, who is a fitness expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.