Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Absolutely. But their team was buzzing even before Poch took over. Of course, Poch (and Kane) took them to a level up. But this time incoming manager will have trickier job.

Would be interesting to see if Kane stays or leaves.
He's been Mr Spurs for a long while but even he must be yearning for trophies. He's what, 28/29? Can't think he wants to be regarded in the same way as Le Tiss ; a one club man left doing match punditry

romufc

To be fair people are writing him off before he's even started a job these days, nobody expects him to make it to three years and people are predicting the inevitable melt down before it's even happened.
It was Manutd fans mainly who wrote him off, some Spurs fans were excited. I have Liverpool fans who thought he will do really well and it was United that was the issue.

Revaulx

It will take two seasons for spurs to clean up the mess jose has left them into. No way any promising or top manager will take that job.
I don’t think Jose has left them in a mess, though he undoubtedly has the potential to do so if he’s allowed to remain for much longer. As @RUCK4444 has already observed, he hasn’t (yet) lumbered them with past-it players on huge salaries.

My main concern if I were a young ambitious manager would be Daniel Levy, who seems to get a weird kick out of undermining his own managers. Jol, AVB, Sherwood were all briefed against while they were still in post. Also the fact that there was no money for new players towards the end of Poch’s reign when the squad clearly needed refreshing, yet money suddenly appeared once Jose was appointed.

Ed Woodward may be an idiot, but even when LvG was on the way out Ed didn’t actively undermine him.

romufc

Also the fact that there was no money for new players towards the end of Poch’s reign when the squad clearly needed refreshing, yet money suddenly appeared once Jose was appointed.

This narrative is a bit old and boring now. They didnt spend for one summer. Even Liverpool didn't spend the summer before they won the league?

17/18 - £111m was spent on players
18/19 - Financial constraints due to new stadium being built.
19/20 - £100m spent on players

20/21 - £100m on players

I don't know where this narrative is coming from that Poch had no money.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This narrative is a bit old and boring now. They didnt spend for one summer. Even Liverpool didn't spend the summer before they won the league?

20/21 - £100m on players

Think the issue was they had their best season ever under Poch then didn't continue on that. They spent nothing to freshen the squad / bring competition and they fell apart after a hard season.

You need to build on that momentum, Spurs couldn't due to all the money going into the stadium.

I don't think they'll ever get to the dizzy heights of a CL final and close to winning a league title again, not for a long time at least. This was their chance to really raise themselves into a title winning side and they blew it.

cyberman

Think the issue was they had their best season ever under Poch then didn't continue on that. They spent nothing to freshen the squad / bring competition and they fell apart after a hard season.

You need to build on that momentum, Spurs couldn't due to all the money going into the stadium.

I don't think they'll ever get to the dizzy heights of a CL final and close to winning a league title again, not for a long time at least. This was their chance to really raise themselves into a title winning side and they blew it.
You cant really build on a fluke run though. Their season in the league was horrendous and its carried on ever since. That was their realistic level.
For a titke charge they would have needed a whole new back line, midfield and quakity back up for the attaacker.
They were right not to chase that imo.

romufc

Liverpool had their best season under Klopp by getting CL and 2nd and didn't spend money to build on the momentum? They still won the league season after.

You cannot expect a club to spend £100m when they are building a brand new stadium, which was to take the club further.

Its a boring narrative. The season he didn't spend money they got to the CL final, they then bought players to push on.

romufc

You cant really build on a fluke run though. Their season in the league was horrendous and its carried on ever since. That was their realistic level.
For a titke charge they would have needed a whole new back line, midfield and quakity back up for the attaacker.
Exactly this.

One CL final doesn't make you title challengers, Spurs have always been top 4 challengers and that is their level.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Indeed, Poch didn't lose the plot as much as lost heart.If he'd won theUCL, it might have been different

Tony247

Yup. At least, at this stage, he hasn't filled their squad with ageing or bang-average players like he did with us. That would be a big problem for Spurs with their limited spending, Levy is savvy enough to keep a reign on Mou's disastrous short term recruitment though I think.
Spurs haven't yet replaced Eriksen. Remember he replaced Luka Modric after he left for Madrid. Basically he carried the legacy. But his replacement has not happened yet. I honestly don't see Dier as hard core CB. Poch played him DM but (no fault of Jose) Dier decided somehow CB is a way upward for himself. Alli has lost interest in playing football. Bale and Reguilon are short term. Of which replacing Reguilon will be another challenge. I don't remember Spurs being loanee grooming club but Jose managed to convince Levy.

Good luck them sorting out their club.

Adam-Utd

It was hardly a fluke run, Tottenham had been running the league runners close for 2/3 seasons.

That team had got to a point where it needed refreshing and they failed to do it, most teams have a 2-3 year cycle.

Liverpool had their best season under Klopp by getting CL and 2nd and didn't spend money to build on the momentum? They still won the league season after.

You cannot expect a club to spend £100m when they are building a brand new stadium, which was to take the club further.

Its a boring narrative. The season he didn't spend money they got to the CL final, they then bought players to push on.
Liverpool were at the peak of their cycle with that team and didn't need immediate investment like Tottenham did, not really comparable.

Revaulx

20/21 - £100m on players

Funny that the financial constraints only affected one transfer window: the one where bringing in fresh players was most crucial to retain momentum and bolster the midfield following the decline/departure of Dembele. The sadly banned Squishy McSquish articulated it well at the time.

The financial constraints Arsenal seemed to have to endure following the construction of the Emirates, a ground with far fewer bells and whistles than the new WHL, went on for years and years.

Edit: @Adam-Utd does a better job than I have.

romufc

Liverpool were at the peak of their cycle with that team and didn't need immediate investment like Tottenham did, not really comparable.
I dont get it? Do people make stuff up as it goes? Spurs cycle? this was a young team with experienced players at the back.

Going into 18/19 here are the ages of Spurs players

Kane - 24
Son - 25
Moura - 25
Alli - 22
Eriksen - 25
Dembele - 30
Sissoko - 28
Wanyama 27
Trippier 27
Rose - 27
Dier - 24
Davinson - 21
Toby - 29
Vertonghen - 31

The season they didnt sign anyone they got to the CL final.

2 years on, the core of that team was labelled title contenders in November.

romufc

Funny that the financial constraints only affected one transfer window: the one where bringing in fresh players was most crucial to retain momentum and bolster the midfield following the decline/departure of Dembele. The sadly banned Squishy McSquish articulated it well at the time.

The financial constraints Arsenal seemed to have to endure following the construction of the Emirates, a ground with far fewer bells and whistles than the new WHL, went on for years and years.

Edit: @Adam-Utd does a better job than I have.

Most would also have said Liverpool needed signings to bolster their squad after a CL win and finishing 2nd. The most crucial point to refresh the team and they didn't.

Dembele was still part of the club in 18/19 and he was 30 years age.

spiriticon

I don't know what's happened to this guy. He used to be a reference point for creating tough to beat, defensively organised teams.

He has been well surpassed by Simeone and Conte in that aspect.

Right now I'm starting to think whether Fat Sam might currently be better at organising a defence than Jose is.

Adam-Utd

I dont get it? Do people make stuff up as it goes? Spurs cycle? this was a young team with experienced players at the back.

Going into 18/19 here are the ages of Spurs players

Kane - 24
Son - 25
Moura - 25
Alli - 22
Eriksen - 25
Dembele - 30
Sissoko - 28
Wanyama 27
Trippier 27
Rose - 27
Dier - 24
Davinson - 21
Toby - 29
Vertonghen - 31

The season they didnt sign anyone they got to the CL final.

2 years on, the core of that team was labelled title contenders in November.
Clearly.

Their defence was falling apart, just because some players are young in age doesn't mean they are still producing like they should have.

Better managers than you or I talk about the cycle of a team, this Spurs needed fresh blood to help them push on.

They did great the season they signed nobody, but then fell apart straight away after. It's not a surprise.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6459125...l-paying-for-a-summer-of-no-transfers-in-2018

Revaulx

Most would also have said Liverpool needed signings to bolster their squad after a CL win and finishing 2nd. The most crucial point to refresh the team and they didn't.
True. And maybe if they had they wouldn’t be struggling now :drool:
Dembele was still part of the club in 18/19 and he was 30 years age.
It was summer 2018 that Spurs didn’t buy anyone, and Squishy was predicting that they’d be fatally compromised in midfield as Dembele was becoming increasingly injury prone. Sure enough he got injured about a third of the way through the season and never played for them again.

I’m no great Poch fanboy and am not convinced that he’s much more than a hipster Moyes. I still believe that he could have done with greater backing from Levy, and also that he’s not the first manager to have been stabbed in the back by him.

romufc

Clearly.

Their defence was falling apart, just because some players are young in age doesn't mean they are still producing like they should have.

Better managers than you or I talk about the cycle of a team, this Spurs needed fresh blood to help them push on.

They did great the season they signed nobody, but then fell apart straight away after. It's not a surprise.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6459125...l-paying-for-a-summer-of-no-transfers-in-2018
A cycle means their defence was good before? They didnt sell anyone so how can cycle come to an end?

In 17/18 Spurs conceded 36 goals and in 18/19 when you say it fell apart they conceded 39.. yeah really fell off.

Yep because 90 min is the best source to use? Have you seen the crap they have written over the past months?

In your honest opinion, what is a better season?

1. Finish 3rd, last 16 CL, Semi Final FA cup, 4th round league cup
2. Finish 4th, CL final, 4th round FA cup, Semi Final league cup

Are you saying season 1 is great season and season 2 is rubbish? I wont lie, if Manutd fell apart next season and we get top 4 and a CL final, I would not class it as a fell apart season.

romufc

True. And maybe if they had they wouldn’t be struggling now :drool:

It was summer 2018 that Spurs didn’t buy anyone, and Squishy was predicting that they’d be fatally compromised in midfield as Dembele was becoming increasingly injury prone. Sure enough he got injured about a third of the way through the season and never played for them again.

I’m no great Poch fanboy and am not convinced that he’s much more than a hipster Moyes. I still believe that he could have done with greater backing from Levy, and also that he’s not the first manager to have been stabbed in the back by him.
Yes, Liverpools struggles this season can be put down to them not signing someone 2 summers ago..

One person predicting something and getting it right doesnt mean anything.. alot of people predicted a Liverpool title win this season.

Alot of people also predicted they will fall of last season, so one Squishy predicting something makes no real difference.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
He mentioned how beautiful his career has been so far that this current run is the worst since he's been a manager. Think that's generally the last stage in his appointments when he retreats to that defence.

Djemba-Djemba

He mentioned how beautiful his career has been so far that this current run is the worst since he's been a manager. Think that's generally the last stage in his appointments when he retreats to that defence.
When he starts to bring up his success from 10-15 years ago yeah that's generally when you're nearing the end.

Adamsk7

This has been his best destroy and exit yet. What a man to be able to pull it off in record time. He's truly a pioneer and has completely rewritten the three year 'cycle of Jose' handbook.

NoPace

I could see 2 of Madrid, Barcelona and Juve (a bad week away from being out of the CL and double digits behind Inter for the Scudetto so Pirlo could get the sack) being in for him this summer.

And then let's say 1 more big job opens up this summer or when a team gets off to an ugly start, probably best odds are Chelsea if Tuchel doesn't work out or United if Ole goes through a bad run, and Pep or Klopp have taken a break before.

But yeah, Spurs is an attractive job. In London. It's not like a manager might not fancy a team of:

Son----------Kane-----------Bale/RW
--Ndombele-Hojberg-LoCelso-- (Dele Alli)
Reguilon---CB---CB--Doherty/Aurier
-----------------Lloris--------------------------

They need a couple signings, particularly at CB, but if they gave Nagelsmann 80M to spend after raising some money by selling off players he doesn't rate anyways (say Lamela, Winks and one of the CBs) and he could sign 1-2 players, maybe he'd try to bring Sabitzer and Konate to help integrate the team, it's a strong team.

The Firestarter

I could see 2 of Madrid, Barcelona and Juve (a bad week away from being out of the CL and double digits behind Inter for the Scudetto so Pirlo could get the sack) being in for him this summer.

And then let's say 1 more big job opens up this summer or when a team gets off to an ugly start, probably best odds are Chelsea if Tuchel doesn't work out or United if Ole goes through a bad run, and Pep or Klopp have taken a break before.

But yeah, Spurs is an attractive job. In London. It's not like a manager might not fancy a team of:

Son----------Kane-----------Bale/RW
--Ndombele-Hojberg-LoCelso-- (Dele Alli)
Reguilon---CB---CB--Doherty/Aurier
-----------------Lloris--------------------------

They need a couple signings, particularly at CB, but if they gave Nagelsmann 80M to spend after raising some money by selling off players he doesn't rate anyways (say Lamela, Winks and one of the CBs) and he could sign 1-2 players, maybe he'd try to bring Sabitzer and Konate to help integrate the team, it's a strong team.
No way Madrid or Barca take him, they are seeking completely different styles of play. And he is morphing slowly into Sam Allardyce.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Wait until he mentions his incredible achievements from 5-10 years ago when he knocked out United of the CL and when he joined RM Casillas and Ronaldo were the only CL winners. That’s the final step.

SATA

Absolutely embarrassing for Jose if he gets sack again, although the huge payoff will soften a lot. But it doesn’t do his reputation any good anymore

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Can he take over Liverpool next... or Arsenal just for AFTV.
I do think this will be his last job in the England, unless he can reignite his approach to football he is done at club level.
He might be good on the international stage...

Status
Not open for further replies.