Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hmchan

The domestic cups are City's for the foreseeable future, given how deep their squad is and how heavily they invest every summer. Our squad is too thin for that - look at how poor we were against Norwich in the FA Cup
Ironically the last team to knock City out of the EFL Cup was us, when we were under the management of the man in the topic.

Paul_Scholes18

Ironically the last team to knock City out of the EFL Cup was us, when we were under the management of the man in the topic.
We started well and then it turned worse. We will see what happens with Spurs who have not even started well.

hmchan

We started well and then it turned worse. We will see what happens with Spurs who have not even started well.
Mourinho usually has an average first season, and boosts the team to the peak in the second season, then finally everything falls apart in the third season.

Team (Season)League Ranking
Madrid (10/11)​
2​
Madrid (11/12)​
1​
Madrid (12/13)​
2​
Chelsea (13/14)​
3​
Chelsea (14/15)​
1​
Chelsea (15/16)​
16​
United (16/17)​
6​
United (17/18)​
2​
United (18/19)​
6​

Paul_Scholes18

Mourinho usually has an average first season, and boosts the team to the peak in the second season, then finally everything falls apart in the third season.

Madrid (10/11)​
2​
Madrid (11/12)​
1​
Madrid (12/13)​
2​
Chelsea (13/14)​
3​
Chelsea (14/15)​
1​
Chelsea (15/16)​
16​
United (16/17)​
6​
United (17/18)​
2​
United (18/19)​
6​
I think he started well for us with two cups. Won with Real the cup too.
The league position with us was pretty low and we had far too many draws.
Still you could see things to build on.
Not seeing much with Spurs.

hmchan

I think he started well for us with two cups. Won with Real the cup too.
The league position with us was pretty low and we had far too many draws.
Still you could see things to build on.
Not seeing much with Spurs.
Tbh I don't think Mourinho has been doing too bad at Spurs for the moment. Yes they don't play beautiful attacking football and their offensive stats look miserable, but you just don't expect his side to excel in this area. Ranking 4th in the league (only behind Liverpool, City and United) isn't something to be ashamed of, especially when you consider they have just lost their best playmaker for years while Kane and Son have been out for some time (@balaks has already kept trying to get these points across). We struggle pretty much in the same way (or worse) when we didn't have Bruno while Pogba/Rashford/Martial were injured.

Like I said the second season will be key though. If he can get the right players in to boost the team I think they might achieve something. Otherwise Spurs fans might have to prepare for the worst.

Last edited:

DevilRed

He will win a trophy for them. That much is almost guaranteed.

It might be the europa league next year. Possibly even league cup.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Where has he not won a trophy?
Doesn't mean he will at Spurs.

He 'guarenteed' back to back titles until he went to Madrid, he 'guarenteed' a trophy a season alongside a minimum 2nd place until he returned to us, he 'guarenteed' the title in his second season until he went to United.

Trends are there to be broken.

DevilRed

Doesn't mean he will at Spurs.

He 'guarenteed' back to back titles until he went to Madrid, he 'guarenteed' a trophy a season alongside a minimum 2nd place until he returned to us, he 'guarenteed' the title in his second season until he went to United.

Trends are there to be broken.
ALMOST GUARANTEED.

Read.

Web of Bissaka

Madrid (10/11)​
2​
Madrid (11/12)​
1​
Madrid (12/13)​
2​
Chelsea (13/14)​
3​
Chelsea (14/15)​
1​
Chelsea (15/16)​
16​
United (16/17)​
6​
United (17/18)​
2​
United (18/19)​
6​
Yep, always go into that trend.

Spurs next season will be better (hopefully not too much).

Mindhunter

Mourinho has set up the team to counter that he does very often. He hasn't really pulled a rabbit out of his hat here. Leicester are struggling because of their own naivety and of course Harry Kane's brilliance. There is no way Spurs can win league titles with this type of football against teams like Man City and Liverpool.

For a one off game, this style of pragmatic, low-risk, counter-attacking football works when the opponent makes more mistakes than you. I am not complaining as he is doing us a great service and maybe inadvertently paying back all the millions in wages he has taken from the club.

United58

I've said it before and I'll say it again, José Mourinho is the best manager in world football :drool:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I know his team have run riot here but this tactic would have been tough with fans in the ground. Before they scored the first goal, they had <30% possession.

United58

I know his team have run riot here but this tactic would have been tough with fans in the ground. Before they scored the first goal, they had <30% possession.
Just drink it in :drool:

On a serious note, I'm delighted we don't play like that anymore - delighted it works in our favour in other matches, though!

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
29% possession and a victory, Mourinho is pleased.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He is doing a very good job so far.
He does, and he's at the right club right for him!

Don't get me wrong and I don't mean this as a mocking, but Tottenham is smaller club when compared to United, Chelsea and Real Madrid, which means that he's once again in position of a underdog, something that suits him both on and off the pitch.

Supports
England
Mourinho has set up the team to counter that he does very often. He hasn't really pulled a rabbit out of his hat here. Leicester are struggling because of their own naivety and of course Harry Kane's brilliance. There is no way Spurs can win league titles with this type of football against teams like Man City and Liverpool.

For a one off game, this style of pragmatic, low-risk, counter-attacking football works when the opponent makes more mistakes than you. I am not complaining as he is doing us a great service and maybe inadvertently paying back all the millions in wages he has taken from the club.
Agree. Kane was more of a factor than Jose here. The 2-0 goal was low-percentage; the 3-0 was not even an obvious scoring opportunity. And if it had still been 1-0 at half-time, feck knows how that could've changed the game.

As someone sympathetic to Spurs, they're basically going back to being the Harry Kane team if they continue showing like this. And I love HK, but you don't win things relying on moments of magic from one player -- and I want him to win something. He's much, much too good to never win anything. He's a CL standard player.

DarkLord

He basically did his exs a huge favour today. Chelsea and us are very grateful to him. Hopefully, we can capitalize on it by thrashing West Ham.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He does, and he's at the right club right for him!

Don't get me wrong and I don't mean this as a mocking, but Tottenham is smaller club when compared to United, Chelsea and Real Madrid, which means that he's once again in position of a underdog, something that suits him both on and off the pitch.
Yeah I think you could be right.

Mindhunter

Yeah I think you could be right.
Disagree. Spurs may not be a bigger club than us, Chelsea, and RM but they still have a record of playing on the front foot. Fans may be happy with conceding the initiative and waiting for opposition mistakes for one off games but gradually the protests around boring football and always playing on the back foot will gain strength. Spurs are not a Mourinho team.

Players like Kane and Son will get disillusioned, Jose will come out and question the integrity of players, and the whole drama around his toxicity and his maneuver to get sacked will leave the club in tatters and a lot less money.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Disagree. Spurs may not be a bigger club than us, Chelsea, and RM but they still have a record of playing on the front foot. Fans may be happy with conceding the initiative and waiting for opposition mistakes for one off games but gradually the protests around boring football and always playing on the back foot will gain strength. Spurs are not a Mourinho team.

Players like Kane and Son will get disillusioned, Jose will come out and question the integrity of players, and the whole drama around his toxicity and his maneuver to get sacked will leave the club in tatters and a lot less money.
You are just a little ray of bitter sunshine aren't you.

Mindhunter

You are just a little ray of bitter sunshine aren't you.
The definition of insanity: trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Jose isn't going to change and I don't see this ending any other way.

Feel free to quote me on this if Jose is still with the club in 3 years time having won trophies and having kept Spurs in the top 4 consistently. I will be happy to eat my words.

Supports
England

I can definitely see this. I won't talk about Son because I don't feel qualified but I can absolutely envision a scenario in which Kane gets bored of never pushing for a goal after 60 minutes while he's on for a hat trick. Kane's nowhere near as selfish as people make him out to be (if he was, he'd have agitated for - and almost certainly got - a big upwards move a long time ago) but every player has their limits.

Under Jose, he'll still get 20+ a season in the league because he's a fantastic striker who finishes a lot of low-percentage chances, but he won't be pushing the old 30+ benchmark with these tactics. And I don't know how willing he'll be to sacrifice his shot at all-time records in the crucial back-half of his career if he's not winning anything to compensate.

Mindhunter

I can definitely see this. I won't talk about Son because I don't feel qualified but I can absolutely envision a scenario in which Kane gets bored of never pushing for a goal after 60 minutes while he's on for a hat trick. Kane's nowhere near as selfish as people make him out to be (if he was, he'd have agitated for - and almost certainly got - a big upwards move a long time ago) but every player has their limits.

Under Jose, he'll still get 20+ a season in the league because he's a fantastic striker who finishes a lot of low-percentage chances, but he won't be pushing the old 30+ benchmark with these tactics. And I don't know how willing he'll be to sacrifice his shot at all-time records in the crucial back-half of his career if he's not winning anything to compensate.
Records are definitely one of the factors for Kane. In general, I feel that players like Kane and Son won't sit well with the pragmatic, low-risk, counter-attacking football over a period of time. They are just not that type of players that thrive in such an environment. And Jose is totally incapable of changing his style and being more expansive to suit the players he has at his disposal.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Kane has scored 13 goals in 18 games under Jose so far. That's not bad at all considering he clearly hasn't been fit for a lot of them. I think he will score a ton next season.

DevilRed

It will be interesting to see whether levy gives any transfer budget to jose this summer. With the finances in disarray due to covid, and a stadium to pay off, they might be looking at bargain hunting which is not jose's strong suit.

I think kane and son etc. will stay at the club though. Can't see them forcing a move away.