Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

acnumber9

A squad he had a massive hand in shaping and building? Resulting in more and more deadwood, and a higher wage bill...anyway, not really interested in having a Jose discussion. Just found his comment funny. If nothing else, he’s entertaining.
Yeah, but when four different managers all struggle to make effective transfers it becomes time to look past the manager.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
VAR has been extremely consistent for Man Utd since last season.
:lol: Good one!
It’s definitely a good starting point as at United we need more consistency as a team. Hopefully VAR won’t have an injury or dip in form for us anytime soon :D

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, but when four different managers all struggle to make effective transfers it becomes time to look past the manager.
Not the right thread for this but yeah, chances are we could have just appointed the 3-4 wrong managers. It's not like we don't spend money. Anyway, don't intend on derailing this thread.

Untd55

While that may be true, Jose collapsed as soon as they both got injured. Even one of them getting injured long term would probably finish them in terms of top four. Bale is too much an unknown quantity these days to say for sure of he'll be fit, never mind produce on the pitch.
Isn't that the same with every team, though? Imagine if we lost Fernandes; it would completely screw us considering he has a direct contribution to over 50% of our goals since his signing. For me, we won't get top four without Fernandes - you just have to look at least season for evidence of that. That is the issue with being too dependant on a single player.

In the same way, Tottenham won't get top four without Kane, unless Vinicius/Bale turn out to be really good for them. In the same way, we will have to hope De Beek could have the same impact. I am judging it on the teams being fully fit through the season.

Hold on, they have gone from being a 2 man team (Kane & Son) to having one of the best teams on the league. A few weeks ago, Ndombele was Jose's public enemy No. 1, wan't he?
That was clearly overblown or was likely a narrative made up by the media, judging by the way it has gone. Their team this season is completely different from the last one.

They had no depth to their wing-backs last season; now they have for both right and left with Doherty and Reguilon, who are improvements on Davies and Aurier.

Ndombele was useless because of his fitness issues, not his talent; now those seem to be over, and he is in the team and performing well. Lo Celso improved massively towards the end of last season and will be more important this season. They have also added Hjobjerg. Compare that to their main midfield of Sissoko and Winks last season; it is night and day.

Their attack was short. No back up to Kane, now they have Vinicius. I mean they couldn't even rest him, really. They have also added Bale, who is an unknown; there is still promise there.

Tottenham is a different proposition this season, no doubt about it.

United and Chelsea both have better team than Tottenham in my opinion not to mention Liverpool and City and eventually that would be the top 4 this season as well that's my prediction.
I don't see the difference in strength, to be honest. Certain teams are stronger in certain areas, but overall it is not remarkable.

Like Kane is better than Martial and Werner, but Fernandes is better than Ndombele and Havertz at this moment.

Son is arguably the best winger along with Mane and Salah at this time, but Chelsea probably has the best all-round right back of the three clubs in James.

None of the teams is remarkable in the centre-back department.

People bring up our results after lockdown placing us as second-best/best (can't remember) but seem to forget that Tottenham was third-best in terms of results after lockdown. I know Liverpool weren't bothering though after they won the title, but I still think Tottenham are being underrated.

windco

Isn't that the same with every team, though? Imagine if we lost Fernandes; it would completely screw us considering he has a direct contribution to over 50% of our goals since his signing. For me, we won't get top four without Fernandes - you just have to look at least season for evidence of that. That is the issue with being too dependant on a single player.

In the same way, Tottenham won't get top four without Kane, unless Vinicius/Bale turn out to be really good for them. In the same way, we will have to hope De Beek could have the same impact. I am judging it on the teams being fully fit through the season.

That was clearly overblown or was likely a narrative made up by the media, judging by the way it has gone. Their team this season is completely different from the last one.

They had no depth to their wing-backs last season; now they have for both right and left with Doherty and Reguilon, who are improvements on Davies and Aurier.

Ndombele was useless because of his fitness issues, not his talent; now those seem to be over, and he is in the team and performing well. Lo Celso improved massively towards the end of last season and will be more important this season. They have also added Hjobjerg. Compare that to their main midfield of Sissoko and Winks last season; it is night and day.

Their attack was short. No back up to Kane, now they have Vinicius. I mean they couldn't even rest him, really. They have also added Bale, who is an unknown; there is still promise there.

Tottenham is a different proposition this season, no doubt about it.

I don't see the difference in strength, to be honest. Certain teams are stronger in certain areas, but overall it is not remarkable.

Like Kane is better than Martial and Werner, but Fernandes is better than Ndombele and Havertz at this moment.

Son is arguably the best winger along with Mane and Salah at this time, but Chelsea probably has the best all-round right back of the three clubs in James.

None of the teams is remarkable in the centre-back department.

People bring up our results after lockdown placing us as second-best/best (can't remember) but seem to forget that Tottenham was third-best in terms of results after lockdown. I know Liverpool weren't bothering though after they won the title, but I still think Tottenham are being underrated.
Their squad strength might not be much difference between us and chelsea but what they do have is a better manager. Media might have paint him as finished manager, but let's be honest, a finished manager does not finished 81 points with a squad most of us here would considered as deadwood just a few season ago.

432JuanMata

Their squad strength might not be much difference between us and chelsea but what they do have is a better manager. Media might have paint him as finished manager, but let's be honest, a finished manager does not finished 81 points with a squad most of us here would considered as deadwood just a few season ago.
Half the caf thought he should of got more with that squad which is funny looking at the team he had now. He was right when he said it was his biggest achievement. He was having the usual 3rd season meltdown so he had to go but he’s still our most successful manager in the last 7 years

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Don't fall for it Balaks!
You think guys like Dele performed well enough to prove they should be first choice? I certainly don't. He said prior to the match that this was a game for guys outside the first eleven to grab the opportunity with both hands. They completely failed to do that.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You think guys like Dele performed well enough to prove they should be first choice? I certainly don't. He said prior to the match that this was a game for guys outside the first eleven to grab the opportunity with both hands. They completely failed to do that.
The relative squads? Spurs are much better than RA, his tactics dictated the result and it failed. I think there's a real player in Alli but it was clear that Jose threw him under the bus a while back. That doesn't work well for team morale

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The relative squads? Spurs are much better than RA, his tactics dictated the result and it failed. I think there's a real player in Alli but it was clear that Jose threw him under the bus a while back. That doesn't work well for team morale
He gave them a chance tonight to prove themselves. What more can he do? The players tonight were utterly shite in that first half yet im expected to ignore that and blame the manager? These guys should be playing out of their skin to try and get into the team.

Mindhunter

Yes he is right. It's not the most important thing in the world though. He is basically trying to show how he is always "right" and the press is wrong in asking for changes which may be true in this instances. Over a period of time though, this backfires because everything becomes about him and the players just stop caring. If results suddenly don't go your way, there is no passion or trust to fall back on. It immediately goes downhill from there which Mourinho taking potshots at everybody including the kitman and the tea-lady.

Instead of this, he should have focused on the reasons for the loss and provided encouragement to his players. All the point making and criticism should have been done in the dressing room - away from the camera. But then again, he is the special one.

El Zoido

He is 100% right though
Was he right when he said it about Rashford and Martial?

Even if he is right, what’s he expecting to accomplish by saying this? It’s of no benefit to the club, he’s completely self-serving.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He gave them a chance tonight to prove themselves. What more can he do? The players tonight were utterly shite in that first half yet im expected to ignore that and blame the manager? These guys should be playing out of their skin to try and get into the team.
But why are they not playing out of their skin?
Does that say something more about the collective of players or more about the manager?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Was he right when he said it about Rashford and Martial?

Even if he is right, what’s he expecting to accomplish by saying this? It’s of no benefit to the club, he’s completely self-serving.
I have no idea if he was right about your players but i think he is right to say it tonight

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
But why are they not playing out of their skin?
Does that say something more about the collective of players or more about the manager?
Plenty of players in the squad are playing out of their skin for him regularly. There is a determination/attitude issue with some players though that has been evident for the past couple of years. I think one or two will be shown the door soon.
Dele in particular has been mostly rubbish for 2 years now.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Plenty of players in the squad are playing out of their skin for him regularly. There is a determination/attitude issue with some players though that has been evident for the past couple of years. I think one or two will be shown the door soon.
Yeah, not sure what's happened not Dele, but his malaise seemed to start pre Jose, so I don't think he can be blamed for that one.

El Zoido

I have no idea if he was right about your players but i think he is right to say it tonight
You don’t need to follow Man Utd to see that those two players are playing significantly better now than they were under Mourinho. Regardless, I won’t disagree with you that your squad depth isn’t the greatest and the backups aren’t good enough (I don’t know, but I’ll take your word for it), it’s just that he doesn’t need to say it. It can’t be good for squad morale. Three options I see:

1) to light a fire up their ass so those players perform better next time
2) to encourage Levy to open his chequebook again in January
3) to protect his own image and shift responsibility from himself to his players

I know which option I’d say was more likely..

Grande

I still don’t get why that would be. Right to think it, ok, right to say it to the player under four eyes, yes, right to say it in front of the whole group of players, normally not so wise, right to tell everybody and their mum on international media, why?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Woah. I'm getting flashbacks here.

pav1790

Yep. I don’t know why he does it and how some fans at the club he manages buy into his cult so much? He’s a good manager, he was a great manager. But he isn’t infallible.

Withnail

Publically slating your players is never the right thing to do. It's bad for morale and the players confidence. It didn't work for him at United and it won't work at Spurs.

Watch the performances deteriorate and the goals dry up as he slowly poisons the atmosphere.

RedCurry

The one thing that annoyed me every time with Mourinho was that whenever he would so generously let these talented fringe players a have chance, he would completely setup for failure in those games. It would look like 11 men just thrown in without a plan or any real formation or tactics.

Best chance for Alli to come back into form is if he plays alongside Kane and Son and not some golfer imported from Spain. It’s self-fulfilling and designed to make Mourinho look good and for players to look bad.

R'hllor

Its not an issue him being right or wrong regarding things he said. I swear how people falling for his brainwashing will never know, the moment he enters, he drops few lines and cult around gets going slowly.

RedDevilUnited369

Mourinho recycling his quotes from us:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44013364

and after we lost to Valencia

He was sacked a week later, and the players he trashed - mainly Rashford and Martial - have thrived without him.
I’m glad you posted this because this was what tonight reminded me of. It was horrible to watch as a fan.

Deli helped make that club into something Jose thought he could work with. Lest we forget. This... this really gets my back up about Jose.

He’s making me defend Tottenham players for fecksake!

marktan

One of Mourinho's worst traits in his time with us was his very public fallouts with many players. He did it with Pogba, Shaw, Martial - all players that are now important to our team. I understand that he's frustrated, but his consistent act of throwing players under the bus with public criticism becomes very tiresome, deserved or not. Managers should deal with that in private - it helps no one and really only screams of Mourinho's fragile ego after losses, which is weird because I remember at his last Chelsea spell he'd actively bring the attention to himself to detract from his players.

SAF for example never did that, despite his well documented bollockings he'd give players in the dressing room. I think really in the end the public criticisms foster a toxic mentality where players lose their confidence and trust in a manager.

It's also telling that players like Martial looked poor under Mourinho in terms of work rate, but his work rate has now significantly improved. I think it was Giggs who said that SAF didn't criticise some players directly in the dressing room if he felt they wouldn't respond to it well, and he gave Nani as an example, but players like Neville and Giggs would get a bollocking. I just think overall Mourinho's man management isn't what it needs to be in the modern game